samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: 100 Days, Crystal Skull, Nemises, Fire and Water

NOTES: This is the obligatory what if story :):) The first part takes place after 100 Days and most of you will have seen some of it before (My Fic : Welcome Home). But that story deserved a sequle and this is the result. Part 2 Takes place during Nemisis and shouldn't be read unless you don't mind being spolied.


They walked back towards the Stargate. SG1 together again. Jack kept looking back...as if he regretted his decision to leave. Sam, as always, beside him. When she passed out, it was into his arms she fell.

"Sam?"

He cradled her body close to his chest.

"What's wrong with her?" he demanded.

"At a guess," Daniel commented, "Exhaustion."

Jack obviously didn't understand. He was holding the unconscious woman in his arms, but he had no idea as to why she was in this condition.

"We need to get her back to base," he decided and hefted her into his arms.

She wasn't heavy, he realised. In fact, now that he held her close, he realised that she had lost weight. She felt very insubstantial in his arms. He wondered why she had chosen to go on a diet. In his eyes, Sam had always looked great.

There was little time for welcome home. Jack carried Sam straight to the infirmary.

"What happened?" Janet snapped.

"Don't know. She just kinda collapsed on me."

"I'm not surprised."

"Why?"

"You really don't know, do you?"

Jack couldn't answer the doctor's question. After all he had been away for three months. How was he supposed to know? Was she sick? If so, she shouldn't have been allowed through the Stargate. He bent over her, brushing the blonde hair from her forehead. Now that he looked at her closely, she didn't look all that well. Her features were drawn and there were dark circles beneath her eyes. He was certain that she hadn't looked like that before.

"She looks tired," he commented.

"Exhausted, is more like it," Janet replied.

Daniel had used the same words. What had Sam been doing?

"What's she been doing?" he asked.

"Trying to bring you home."

He found himself backing away from the doctor. Home now seemed to be an alien concept. For the last three months his home had been with Lara.

"She's hardly eaten or slept...I don't think she's left the base at all. She's been reinventing the laws of physics building that particle beam."

"For me?"

"The Tollan could have sent a ship, but as far as Sam was concerned that would have taken too long."

"I don't understand."

"Colonel O'Neill, haven't you ever considered the fact that Sam may be in love with you?"

"Me....why?"

"Beats me."

"Are you sure?"

"She more or less admitted it to me while you were gone."

"Sam?"

"Yes.....now get out of here, Colonel. I'll look after her."

"Right."

"And welcome back."

"Yeah."



***************************************************************************



Dark thoughts ran through Samantha Carter's mind as she lay in the infirmary bed. She was supposed to be sleeping, but that release did not come easily. Her body was still to unused to the luxury. After a couple of hours that had stemmed from pure exhaustion, she had awoken, ready to start over again. This time she didn't need to. Colonel O'Neill was home. According to Janet, he had carried her here. Sam couldn't remember even leaving the planet. The last thing she saw in her mind was Jack saying goodbye to Lara. She couldn't really blame him. After all he had been gone a long time, it was just.....She had missed him, more than she would have thought possible. If suddenly realising that you have unprofessional thoughts about your CO wasn't bad enough, she had admitted it to Janet. And then lied about the fact that it wasn't a problem. It was a problem, a big one....one that could possibly ruin her career. Or would have done if he hadn't been so obviously attached to Lara.

She rolled over in bed, trying to find a more comfortable position. It was only the fact that Janet was hovering about that stopped her getting up and going back to work.

"Hey, Doc., how is she?"

Sam's heart skipped a beat, it was the Colonel's voice. She squeezed her eyes tight shut and hoped he didn't walk over.

"Sleeping," Janet replied, "Probably the best thing she can do right now."

"Mind if I look in on her, before I go...I leave the base."

"Just don't wake her up."

His footsteps came closer, stopping by the side of the bed. Sam held her breath, as she felt his hand brush against her hair.

"OK, Carter you may fool the Doc. but you don't fool me. Get some sleep and that's an order," he whispered in her ear.

Blinking against the light, Sam opened her eyes and looked up at him. He looked more like her Colonel now. The homespun clothes had been replaced by jeans, a white T-Shirt and a leather jacket. He looked relaxed....but there was something in his eyes that Sam didn't quite understand.

"How did you know?" she asked.

"Major, give me a little credit, I've watched you sleep enough times to know when you're faking."

"You have?"

O'Neill coloured a little when he realised exactly what he had admitted.

"How are you feeling?" he continued.

"I'm OK."

"Doc says you worked 24-7 to build that particle thing."

"It was......an interesting project."

"Oh.....so it had nothing to do with.......?"

"We did have to get all those people back home."

"Right....well, get some rest."

"Yes, sir."

She expected him to walk away, but he drew up a chair and seated himself beside the bed.

"Sir?" she questioned.

"I'm just making sure than you follow my orders, Major. You've probably got out of the habit."

There was warmth in the depths of his eyes and Sam couldn't stop herself smiling at him.

"Sleep," he repeated.



**************************************************************************



"So Jack wasn't too pleased to see us," Daniel finished. "He and Lara had become very....close."

Janet took another sip of her coffee, and raised her eyebrows, "Just good friends close, or...?" she asked.

"Or, definitely or."

"No wonder Sam looked so upset."

"He was gone three months."

"Stop being a man, Daniel."

"What do you mean?"

"I need to get back to the infirmary."

Daniel was completely clueless. Why couldn't he see that something had gone wrong with the fundamental make up of the universe ? He hadn't spent much time with Sam over the past three months and couldn't see how much she had missed Colonel O'Neill. Before the accident on Adorra, Sam would never have acknowledged, even to herself, that she had feelings for her commanding officer. Now she wouldn't admit it because she thought that he was in love with someone else. It was Sam that was hurting and Jack seemed oblivious to the fact.

Still fuming, Janet walked into the infirmary....and stopped dead. She allowed herself a smile.

There was no way that either of them could be comfortable, but Janet didn't have the heart to wake them. Jack was still seated by the bed, but his head had fallen forward and was lying next to Sam's stomach. His arm was curled possessively about her waist whilst his other hand was entwined with hers. As Janet watched, he shifted in his sleep and Sam's free hand tangled itself in his hair.

"Doctor?"

With a swift movement, Janet attempted to pull the curtain around the bed....but General Hammond had already seen all that he needed to.

"Do we have a problem here?" he whispered, gesturing towards the sleeping couple.

"No," Janet answered....a little too quickly.

"Doesn't look like that to me."

"Sir, this is the first good night's sleep Sam's had in three months. I am not going to wake her."

"And Colonel O'Neill?"

"I'll....do something about that."

"Good idea.....And tell O'Neill I want to see him in my office tomorrow. "

"Yes, sir."

If Janet's agreement was half-hearted, Hammond didn't seem to notice. Although she suspected that he wasn't fooled. With a sigh she crossed to Jack's side and touched his shoulder. His only response was to tighten his hold on Sam.

"Colonel," Janet whispered.

His eyes fluttered open. He sat up as soon as he realised where he was lying, moving Sam's hand to rest on the bed.

"Must have nodded off," he attempted to explain.

"You should go home," Janet told him.

"Not sure I know where that is anymore. I think I'm gonna stay on base tonight."

He looked down at Sam. She was still sleeping peacefully, a small smile on her face.

"The general was in here, " Janet warned him, before he got carried away with his contemplation of Sam's face.

"What?"

"He wants to see you tomorrow morning."

"Why? Because I fell asleep in my chair?"

"Draped all over Sam. Colonel, is there something you need to tell me?"

"No, why?"

"Colonel....."

"I'm going to my quarters."

"Don't get lost on the way."



*******************************



Samantha Carter looked at the equipment of the bench, then back towards the door. A week with the generator, or a week with Colonel O'Neill. To her dismay, her mind was already entertaining the possibilities offered by the latter. A cabin by a lake, log fire, hearth rug.....If she hurried she just might catch him. Carter broke into a run and jogged out into the corridor.

"Colonel," she shouted after him.

O'Neill turned towards her. Sam suddenly found that her throat was dry. She glanced down at her boots and then back at his expectant face. Her mouth opened, just as an airman appeared at the end of the corridor. She panicked at the thought of being overheard accepting the colonel's offer. Her heart said yes, but, "Have a good time, sir," was all she managed and she cursed herself.

The colonel wasn't going to give up so easily. He knew that she was wavering and started declaiming the attractions of Minnesota. Sam smiled to herself, he really did want her to go with him.

"Sounds like fun sir," she grinned, as soon as the airman was out of earshot. She would at least like to do something wrong before the gossip started.

"You'll come?"

"Give me ten minutes to shut down the lab and ask Janet to feed the cat."

"This is gonna be great. Meet you topside?"

"Sure."

Sam turned back towards the lab. This was stupid, her legs were actually shaking. She lent against the bench for support, taking a few moments to regain her equilibrium. Then she smiled to herself as she realised exactly what had just happened. The grin was still on her face when she finally tracked down Janet.

The doctor was in the infirmary, tending to a sleeping Daniel Jackson. Sam immediately pushed the smaller woman in the direction of the office.

"Sam?" Janet questioned.

The other woman actually seemed to be glowing. Then the penny dropped. Janet made a bet with herself that this had something to do with Colonel Jack O'Neill.

"I'm going to be away for a couple of days, could you look after Shrodinger?" Sam asked a little breathlessly.

"I thought you were staying here?"

"Change of plan."

"And?"

"What?"

"Something.... or somebody has put that smile on your face."

"Colonel O'Neill asked me to go to fishing with him."

Sam blushed and cast her eyes downwards. Janet mentally paid herself fifty dollars.

"Fishing?"

"Yes, nothing wrong with that......is there?" Sam asked, defensively.

"I thought you said it wasn't a problem?" the doctor reminded her.

"It's not," Sam protested.

"You're walking a fine line, Sam."

At first Sam made indignant noises, but she was very half hearted. Eventually, she gave a groan and buried her face in her hands. When she looked up again, Janet saw a new resolution burning in her eyes.

"I can't go on like this, Janet. He's a nice guy, you know, and there aren't too many of them out there. I really care about him."

"What about the regulations?"

"Look, I can't tell what's going to happen, but I can't stand not knowing. Either way I'll have to transfer out of SG1, because there's no way I'm going to watch him with anyone else again. This is the first leave we've had in months and he wants to spend it with me not....."

She went quiet, biting her lower lip.

"Lara?" Janet asked.

"Yeah."

The doctor shook her head. O'Neill had hurt Sam very badly, she hoped that this was his attempt to make up for the way he had been treating her. As for Lara....Janet sincerely hoped that the colonel had forgotten about his promise to return to Adorra. If he did ever go back he would break Sam's heart.

"Be careful," she told her friend.

"I will, Janet, and thanks."

Sam turned to leave, but Janet called her back, "Wait, I have something for you."

The doctor reached into her desk drawer and tossed a packet in Sam's direction. Sam raised an eyebrow when she realised what the box contained.

"Janet!" Sam protested.

"You never know," the doctor grinned back.



***************************************************************************



Carter was asleep...again. She had slept most of the way here, when he went for the groceries..........and now she had curled up on the couch while he had been making dinner. He was starting to wonder if she was going to sleep for the entire week. So much for fun, he admitted to himself, wryly, but if anyone deserved a week off it was Carter. She had been working her butt off for months. His features softened as he set the plates on the table and moved to wake her. He sat on the edge of the couch, brushing a finger over her lips.

"Hey, sleeping beauty, time to wake up," he whispered.

She twisted in her sleep, burying her face into the cushions. At first Jack was inclined to leave her, but he realised that in addition to not getting enough sleep, Carter hadn't been eating properly.

"Carter," he said, a little more loudly than he'd meant to. Her body shot into an upright position.

"I'm awake," she protested.

"Sure you were."

Sam rubbed her face with her hands. The colonel must be getting really bored of her company. She just couldn't stay awake for more than ten minutes at a time. This was why she didn't take vacations. The second she relaxed she fell asleep.

"I'm sorry," she told him.

"What for?"

He seemed genuinely confused, but that wasn't uncommon. This time, however, realisation dawned fairly rapidly.

"Sam, this is your vacation as well as mine. You can do whatever....and if you want to sleep all day I can only say that it was about time you had a break from the SGC," he told her. "Now, how about some dinner? I don't think it'll poison you."

"I'll try anything once, sir."

Holding out his hand, he drew her to her feet. Sam groaned as she stood, her hands immediately going to the small of her back, trying to massage away a tender spot. Her muscles had cramped while she had been sleeping.

"Here, let me," Jack offered, moving behind her.

Sam found herself holding back a gasp as he ran his hands gently over her lower back.

"You're really tensed up," he commented.

"I know. I damaged my hamstring a couple of months back and Janet reckons the injury's been throwing everything else off. Haven't had time to see the physio yet."

"When did you do that?"

"You were off-world, sir."

"Oh."

It was her polite way of reminding him that he had been away, and maybe things were a little bit different now.....Sam especially, but he couldn't quite work out what that certain something was. The past few months had been hectic, he'd barely had time to breath never mind re-adjust to being home. That was why he'd jumped at the chance of going on vacation. One of the reasons. The other was to find an excuse to spend some time alone with Sam.

Jack O'Neill had found himself faced with a very disturbing choice regarding the woman who had moved heaven and earth to bring him home. He'd tried to ignore Sam, and treat her like she was just another soldier.....it hadn't worked. He couldn't do it. She was more than just a co-worker, and it was about time he admitted the fact. Regulations be dammed. One thing being trapped on Adorra had taught him, was to never take anything for granted. Sam wouldn't be around forever. So he'd got his hair cut and asked her out here. He still had trouble believing that she'd said yes, but the hand he held was warm and solid. What was probably more important was the fact that she didn't attempt to remove her fingers from his.

"I give great back rubs," he suggested, leading her towards the table.

Sam gave him a shy smile, "Maybe later," she replied.

After dinner Sam found herself lying face down on the rug in front of the fire, her chin propped on her folded arms, whilst Jack ran experienced hands over her back. One thing, his earlier boast had been accurate. Jack's hands moved easily under her shirt, smoothing the knotted muscles, making it difficult for Sam to stop herself purring with contentment. It had been a long time since she had felt this tranquil. Yet there was nothing overtly sexual about the way he touched her, only an undercurrent of promise. She knew that this was taking them one step closer to the territory where court martial loomed, but right now she didn't really care.

"Feel good?" he asked.

"Mmmmmmm..........So where did you learn to do this?" Sam heard herself ask.

"When Sara was pregnant," he replied.

His voice was neutral, but Sam felt a trace of tension in his hands. He still missed his wife, and she doubted that he would ever stop mourning for his son. She cursed herself for reviving the unpleasant memories.

"Want a little oil?" he asked, dispelling the uncomfortable moment.

"Why not?"

The air was filled with the scent of lavender as Jack anointed his hands and resumed the massage. He knew that he'd made her uneasy by mentioning Sara, so he concentrated on soothing her tired, knotted muscles. His attentions must have had the desired effect, because before long her breathing had slowed and she slept again. Jack smiled to himself. He wasn't going to push this. Slow and easy, was the plan for the next few days. If something happened between them, all to the good, if not....he could live with that too. Right now he needed to get her into bed.

As carefully as he possibly could, he rolled her over onto her back. Sam didn't even stir. Jack picked her up in his arms and carried her to one of the bedrooms. He lay her down on the bed and tucked the quilt around her.

"'night, Sam," he whispered.



***************************************************************************



Sam awoke to find bright light streaming in through the windows of the room. Sleepily, she reached over to the other side of the bed....but no, that had just been a dream. She soon vanquished the vague feeling of disappointment. This week was going to be short enough without wishing for something that might never happen. Although if last night was anything to go by.....Sam stretched, her body was still glowing. She could hear him moving about quietly in the adjoining room. After a few moments she heard his footsteps fading and the front door being closed.

She was sorely tempted to stay in bed, but the day and Jack O'Neill's company beckoned. After a quick shower and a change of clothes she took her first steps outside the cabin. He had been right. The view was breathtaking. The lake lay before her; the deepest blue she'd ever seen, backed by the deep green of evergreen and the azure sky. A dirt road stretched away to her right, leading the five miles back to the nearest town. There was a splendid feeling of isolation, as she stood on grass that was still damp from the morning dew. Despite the early hour, the sun was already warm on her back and Sam didn't bother to put on her shoes as she walked towards the lake.

Jack was sitting on the bank skimming stones across the still water. Sam paused and watched him for a while. There was something almost childlike about his activity. Jack always had to be doing something. She'd watched him through countless mission briefings, playing with pens, paperclips, staples, anything he could get his hands on. Whereas her mind was always focused on higher physical principles, Jack's tended to concentrate on more basic questions. How? Why? Where? What does this do? He and Daniel were very similar in that respect.......Jack just managed to control his impulses when it came to alien technology. She fondly recalled the cavern where they had found the crystal skull, and Jack leaning over the precipice wondering how far down it went. If he'd had a stone, he would have thrown it down and counted the seconds until it hit bottom. In some ways his intelligence could be as sharp as her own, he just had trouble with abstract concepts.

She was glad that he had asked her here. Watching him, she could see that he was at home in this environment and happy to be away from the base for a little while. She was seeing a new side of Jack; a man who could be unexpectedly sensitive, who loved as deeply as he hated and was slow at letting people close to him.

He looked up as she approached and his mouth fell open. Sam looked down at herself, a little embarrassed by his reaction. Hadn't he ever seen anyone in a dress before? He scrambled to his feet, "Sam, you look...," he gulped and cleared his throat, "great."

He was frantically trying to remember the last time he had seen Sam wear anything other than military fatigues or jeans. It had been three years ago, at Daniel's 'wake'. Couldn't be.....Could it? This dress reached down to her ankles, but was made of a translucent material that kept offering him tantalising glimpses of her body. It moved with her, the fabric whispering as she walked towards him. In an effort to stop himself staring, he looked down at the ground only to notice that she had beautiful feet.

"Sir, are you OK?" she asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine, I......."

Standing on her toes, Sam reached up and kissed him on the cheek.

"Good morning," she smiled.

"I like the way you say it."

"This is so beautiful."

"I know. It kinda reminds me of......"

"Adorra?"

"Yeah."

He took a deep breath, and reached for her hand, "Want some breakfast?" he asked.

The subject was closed again. Sam fought down a wave of frustration. The time would come, she knew that much. They had to talk about his time on that planet. He had to mention Lara's name.

They ate outside before Jack went back to the lake to do a little fishing. It would look suspicious if he didn't come back with a couple of fisherman's tales. Sam took herself off for a walk. There was something very soothing about being alone in the midst of all this natural splendour. All the stress and exhaustion caused by the recent months was slowly slipping away. She wandered through the trees, picking flowers and twining them in her hair.....and laughing at herself. No one at the base would believe she was doing this.

Despite the worlds she had seen, this one would always be the most lovely. Sam had never minded solitude and it was very pleasant to be out here, letting her thoughts drift in random directions. New theories flashed through her mind as she walked. She stopped walking, holding her hand to her head as she struggled with a particularly difficult concept. Then she found herself running back towards the cabin, desperate to find a pen and paper.



***************************************************************************



"Pralines and cream," Sam announced. "That one was easy."

"OK, try this," Jack told her

Still with her eyes closed, Sam opened her mouth and accepted the spoonful of ice cream. She let the soft substance dissolve on her tongue, taking her time in distinguishing the flavour.

"It's the Rocky Road, but you've put butterscotch on it," she announced.

"I admit it, you're good, Sam."

She opened her eyes and grinned at him, "Doctorate in astrophysics and ice cream identification."

"Hey, you got a little...."

He reached out and wiped the drop of ice cream from the corner of her mouth. Instinctively, Sam licked the liquid from his finger. His pulse rate jumped and, for a few seconds, Jack had real trouble controlling his breathing. He fumbled for his beer and took a long cooling draught. Sam, meanwhile, had turned away from him and was calmly finishing the Rocky Road.

"Sam," he said.

"Yes, sir?"

"Nothin'."

She was still calling him sir. He had hoped that a Jack might have slipped past her lips by now. Maybe this had been a bad idea. She'd spent the day sprawled on the grass beside him, designing....something. That was the best way he could describe what he had see when she showed him the diagram. To him, it was just some esoteric picture, to Sam it was probably another major breakthrough. He felt as if he was keeping her away from something she loved, yet she didn't seem unhappy or discontented. In fact, she seemed.....there was a certain radiance about her tonight.

Despite the warmth of the day, the nights grew a little chilly and Jack had lit the fire. It was the only illumination in the room. Sam sat in front of it, with her ice cream, staring into the flames.

"Want another beer?" he asked her, suddenly needing to say something.

"Sure."

He got a couple more bottles out of the fridge. This would probably have to be the last. Anymore and he'd do something he might regret, like telling his 2IC that he was madly in love with her.

"Here you go," he said as he handed her the bottle.

Her fingers brushed against his as she took it. Jack knelt down beside her, joining her in her contemplation of the flames. He leant forward and took a spoonful of the ice cream, feeding them both with alternate mouthfuls. Sam gave a sigh and leant against him. This was perfect, she decided as his fingers started to play with her hair.

"Jack, I.....," she began.

He silenced her with a finger on her lips and a smile. His face moved closer to hers and Sam parted her lips in anticipation. The touch was feather light, as he explored every curve of her mouth. She automatically deepened the kiss, needing to feel more from him. He tasted of the dark rich chocolate.

Sam heard herself moan as he drew back. She reached for him again, but he stopped her.

"Sam, there's something I have to say. I know this is against regulations, I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I......."

There was a flash of light.

".....love you," Jack finished.

He looked around himself and then down at the planet Earth.

"Thor!" he yelled.



THE END



End Notes: And I thought Thor's timing couldn't have been any worse and this is what my mind does to me !!