samandjack.net

Story Notes: Pairings: Jack/Sara, Jack/Sam

Spoilers: None


Jack had just stepped out of the shower when the phone rang. He wrapped a towel around his waist and walked to the bedroom phone. He only answered it because Sam was supposed to come over when she finished in the lab. "O'Neill," he answered as he turned on the light. "Hi Jack," a female voice responded. It took a moment for the voice to register, but when it did he sat down on the edge of the bed. Running his hand through his hair, he replied, "Hell Sara." Jack really didn't feel like talking to her now. Somehow Sara always brought Charlie to mind. "I've got some news. I'm moving to California." "That's quite the move." "I'm getting married too." "Um…okay." Jack got up and opened a dresser drawer, pulling out a pair of silk boxers as he held the phone with his shoulder. He smiled as he put them on, red, the ones Sam liked so much. "He's a lawyer and has been offered a job at a new firm. I'm calling you to see if you wanted anything more of Charlie's. I need to open a new page in my life." Jack grimaced; there it was again, Charlie. "I've got plans for later, but I can stop over in about half an hour. I'd like to get a few more things from his room, just his trophies and things like that, maybe a picture or two also." "That's fine Jack. I'll see you in a bit." "Yeah, ok." He hung up the phone, dreading going into Charlie's room. It had been years, but the wound was still fresh, Jack would never forgive himself. He grabbed a pair of jeans out of the closet along with a green button down shirt. Jack combed his hair quickly, deciding he'd change before Sam came over. He wanted to look special when they went out to dinner. Picking up his cell phone, he headed out the door. For once he rode in silence, even music seemed to mock him tonight. It was a short drive to Sara's; the route still so familiar even after all the years. He used to wonder if he'd have been able to work things out, a notion he gave up when the divorce papers showed up. His thoughts turned to Sam, he was so grateful to have her in his life. He laughed half-heartedly, funny how things work out. Jack hit the blinker as the old oak tree came into view, turning into the driveway. The house still had the same blue grey paint that it had when he left. The sidewalk had been redone in shale pieces; a task Jack always managed to avoid when they were married. Slowly Jack walked up the steps and rang the bell. He wanted to get in and out quickly; it was tough enough trying to hold himself together. Sara opened the door slowly. She was wearing a long flowered sundress and had her hair pulled back. She looked happy for a change. "Hello Jack, come in," she said stepping aside. "Hi Sara, you look well," he replied trying to make conversation. "I left Charlie's room exactly as it is; take whatever you want. I want to close this chapter of my life." Sara said coldly. "Ok, I'll make it quick," Jack commented as he went up the stairs. The door to Charlie's room was shut, and when Jack opened it the air smelled stagnant. He flicked on the light, noticing it was the same baseball lamp he'd bought when Charlie started little league. Jack found a small box in the corner and began to put some things in it. He packed three of the baseball trophies and a few stuffed animals. Jack's hand came to rest on a picture frame; it was of himself and Charlie. Jack gathered up most of the pictures and stuffed them in the box. He picked a few toys and some of the old school work, and then headed back downstairs. Sara was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee. Jack sat the box down and joined her. "I'm finished up there," Jack looked out the window at the rusty swing set. "It's good to see you Jack. You look well." "Yeah, things are good. So, when's the big day?" "Can I get you a cup of coffee? The day is September 30th." Sara said as she got up. "Coffee would be good. Wow, fall….well congratulations." Sara set a mug down in front of him and handed him the sugar bowl, "Thanks. So, still doing all that classified stuff?" Jack sipped his coffee, shaking his head yes in reply. He heard the ring of the cell phone as he began to speak. "Excuse me a sec," he said as he answered it. "O'Neill." "Hi Jack. I just wanted you to know I'll be leaving the lab late tonight." Sam's voice was music to his ears. "Everything okay there Sammie?" he asked playfully. "Yes, just have to finish up the tests on the naquada reactor. I'm leaving at 6 though," she responded. "Okay. I'm at Sara's, I'm just picking up a few of Charlie's things," jack smiled as he looked at the box. "Are you alright?" "I'm fine." "Ok, I'm going to finish up the tests. See you tonight." He could hear her typing away. "See you later. Love you Sammie," Jack said as he sipped the coffee again. "Love you too," Sam replied as she hung up. Jack sat back down at the table," Sorry about that." "So you've got a girlfriend?" Sara questioned. "Yeah. She's great," Jack grinned widely. "It's good to see you smile. I'm glad you're happy." Jack finished his coffee, "Well, I should go." Sara got up and walked him to the door. The goodbyes were pleasant for a change. Jack settled into his truck and pulled a picture out of the box. He looked at it then dropped it back in the box. He set the trophies above the fireplace in his living room. In between them, Jack placed the picture of himself and Charlie. Content for the time being, Jack grabbed a bottle of scotch and went upstairs to change. The alcohol burned as he drank it, he coughed and set the bottle down. Jack took off the jeans and put on a pair of black dress pants. He took another sip of scotch, then pulled his shirt off. Jack dug through the closet and found silk shirt; he put it on and began to button it. He tucked it in and picked up the scotch bottle. He fought back the tears as he thought of Charlie, knowing he was on a dangerous road with the drink. Sam arrived to find Jack sitting out on the back porch with a picture in his hands. He pulled himself together and got up to hug Sam. She could smell the alcohol on his breath. "Jack, what's wrong? I can smell the alcohol on you," Sam asked. "Just dealing with some painful memories," he replied. "Talk to me baby," Sam said softly as she held him. "Being in that house…seeing Charlie's room, the place where he shot himself. Sam I just can't forget it." "It's over, you can't change the past. All you can do is keep it from happening in the future." "You saying that there's a future with a family?" "Jack, I would give you all the children we ever wanted." He pulled Sam closer, kissing her forehead, "How did I get so lucky to have you?" "Must be your charming style." Sam said jokingly. Jack kissed her lovingly.