samandjack.net
Sam by SJR

Story Notes: Nighmares Lived: ARCHIVE: SJD. Please email for others.

SEQUEL: Parallel Stories: Nightmares Lived, Nightmares Lived - Jack, Nightmares Lived - T'ealc (to come), Nightmares Lived - Daniel (to come).

SPOILERS: None


I believe it was the result of another time altering device. Possibly left by the ancients and misused by the natives, causing the timeloop we observed, or rather, experienced. The study oppotunities that the Stargate program has given me have been so much more than any I would have got at NASA. But, despite the ramifications that this type of experiment could lead too, and the opportunity to study such technology, I find myself reluctant to consider returning to the planet and trying to locate the device.

I cannot say that I am surprised, I'm not. The timeloop we experienced was nothing like that which T'ealc and the Colonel had gone through. The most stressful thing they encountered was the tedium of having to explain everything to everyone every ten hours; and painfully slowly extracting some meaning from Daniel's translations to put together the story of what was happening to them.

Ultiately I'm not sure if it was a 'timelooping' device. When we left the planet, we didn't start the loop again, or perhaps it's field only extended around the planet itself? Certainly the last device only affected a portion of gate linked worlds. The possibilities really, are many, but for once, the work can wait.

What we endured, yes, endured, was far worse than T'ealc and Jack's timeloops. I don't think in all my life I have seen my own nightmares come to life in such terrifying detail; and I do not want to experience that again. Depiste my desire to help the people on that planet, and they must be a way; I don't want to return. I'll just have to find another way to help them. Even now I still shake when I remember those last few minutes before we made it through the 'gate, just in case we were a second or two too late.

***************************************************************

I could taste the blood, salty in my mouth. My leg stung and somewhere back there I had dropped my pack, along with the others. I stumbled, the Colonel grabbing my arm, keeping me going even as he limped, his knee obviously hurting him. Daniel was ahead of us, with T'ealc bringing up the rear, turning periodically to scan the bushes. I heard the steely sounds as Daniel punched in the symbols, and the Stargate filled with light, rippling in front of us as shouts and crashing from the bushes could be heard from behind.

With a speed born of desperation we began running faster, forgetting the pain and the physical damage as we sped past Daniel, T'ealc right behind us. I reached out, folding my fingers around Daniel's arm, the Colonel holding a fistful of material of my jacket. Ffrom the corner of my eye I saw him reach back and I think T'ealc latched onto him. Joined, we dashed up the steps and into the event horizon, unwilling to leave anyone behind, even for a second.

Breathless, we appeared on the ramp in the 'gateroom, the metal echoing under our boots. The light was very bright and I squinted, relief flooding through me to be home; yet I was shaking with the adrenaline and fear from our experience beyond the Stargate. General Hammond stood at the botto of the ramp and I couldn't make out anyone in the darker control room as I lifted a tired hand in salute.

I heard Colonel O'Neill ask the General for some time to rest and clean up before debriefing. He gave permission and, as one, we filed out of the gateroom and down into the Infirmary.

*******************************************************************

Janet shone a light into my eye and I shied away automatically. I'm normally good with physicals, less fuss means they get done quicker, and if there is something wrong, the more you co-operate the more you'll find out. I don't think Colonel O'Neill shares my philosophy, I can hear him complaining from the other side of the room.

"Well, you seem fine. Anyhting you want to tell me?" "Like what?" "You're talkative today. Like how you sustained those cuts and bruises. You're pretty beat up Sam, though non of it serious." "We came under fire when we went through the 'gate Janet. we got out, we came home. End of story." "Hmmm. Ok, lie down and rest for a while, I'll send a nurse over to run a few tests and then you're free to go."

I nod. I don't want to speak really, let alone argue with her. I lie back on the bed, grateful for the comfort a mattress and a few sheets provide. I let out a breath and concentrate on relaxing, listening to the low sounds of the infirmary around me. It's over Sam, it's over...

I can hear the crashing through the bushes behind me. My pack is heavy and the cut in my shoulder makes it more so. I stumble, ripping my pants, and leaving a patchwork of shallow scratches on my skin. My hair is plastered to my face, and I feel like I haven't slept in days. To the left I see the Colonel, with Daniel just behind him crouch by a rock. Scanning the area, he rises slightly, staying alert, weapon raised. Daniel stays low, watching the bushes. He's not military, but sometimes you wouldn't know it.

I see him then, the light skinned man with gray clothing. He raises an odd looking weapon and takes aim. Every thing seems to slow, I rise to my feet, calling out to him as I do so. It's not enough, I can see that already, even as I begin to move toward them, I can see I'm too late. The blast takes Jack in the shoulder, spinning him round as he squeezes the trigger on his gun, even as he falls. The second shot takes him in the chest, and I can see by the way he moves that he's dead before he hits the ground. I reach his body as the second and then the third natives rise from their places, surrouding us.

His eyes are vacant, his chest torn, and I kneel by his body, placing a futile hand against his throat. He's gone, I knew that already, but I checked automatically, my mind still trying to grip the fact that the indestructible Colonel O'Neill is dead. I hear a voice calling his name, stress and sadness giving it an edge. I realise its me. I hear another sound, and I spin on one knee, raising my gun, aming at the man who has his weapon now trained on Daniel. Behind me more shots go off, and I know T'ealc is either dead or fighting his way to us. The second blast takes Daniel in the throat, and I watch his limp body slide down the rock as the weapon is turned on me, and I pull the trigger on my own gun.

His body shakes with the impact of my bullets; but he is not alone here, and as far as I know I am. Someone to the side of me takes their shot, and I fell a burning pain spread through my chest and down one side. I feel mysel falling as the world spins and beings to darken. Jack stares vacantly into the sky beside me and I left my hand to close his eyes. But my limbs won't respond; the blackness closes in....

I wake screaming, tangled in the bed sheets. I'm in my quarters, and the calm grey walls and muted light serve to contrast with the content of my nightmares. I hear steps in the hallway and a soft tap on my door before whoever it was moves on. I lift a shaky hand to run through my hair, but touch my wet cheeks instead. I breathe slowly, and eventually I rise, pulling my pants on and a black t-shirt. Slipping out of the door, I pad down the hallway and into the common room.

Inside, the same grey surrounds me, and I see the Colonel sitting at the neutral coloured table in a matching chair. In front of him are two cups of coffee, his hands wrapped around a third. He looks up and smiles wearily, gesturing a seat. I take the chair next to him, gratefully pulling the coffee towards me. He turns and stretches his legs out beside me as Daniel appears in the doorway and mvoes forward to take the seat on the toher side of me. Between them they have me boxed in. It's a gesture of protection, and although I'm a big girl now, I'm happier with it than without. We did something similar for Daniel last night.

We sip coffee and we smile at each other reassuringly, sharing the silence. T'ealc will be back tomorrow, and, hopefully, we won't have need of four cups of coffee. But I doubt it.

*************************************************

It's almost over now, I can feel it ebbing away. I still have dreams, but they are vaguer now, less troublesome. The steaks cooking on Jack's backyard grill smell good and for the first time in nearly a week I am genuinely hungry. A cold beer is in my hands and I lean against a wooden post supporting the porch. The Colonel wanders over, flipping the steaks and then taking up position next to me. I can feel his warmth through my jumper and his shirt. He raises his bottle and grins at me, clinking it gently against mine. I smile and lean back with a sigh, looking up at the stars glimmering in the clear night sky.

Daniel is sitting on the porch steps, leaning against the railing. He looks up at us, raising his bottle too, and smiling at us. T'ealc looks grave and indecipherable as always, but his demeanour is more relaxed than it has been in days. You need to know him to see the difference.

There's a mission tomorrow, a new planet to visit,new things to discover. If we're lucky there may be technology to trade, I'd like another project to work on. My smile widens, and I can sense the relaxed state of my team mates around me. Tomorrow I think, and the stars.