samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: none, but it was set in Season 6.

ARCHIVE: SJD yes.

Copyright by Blue Topaz, 2002


So much for making him 'unaware' there.

"Where's the report about that?"

Jennings sighed under his breath, he took a file from another pile of files, "Here it is, General." He handed Hammond the file.

Hammond took it and was reading through it when the phone on his desk ringing. He picked up the phone.

"This is Hammond."

Lt. Jennings tried to listen to the conversation.

"Ah, Colonel Chekov, how are you?"

Whops, the Russian.

"Is that true?"

"How is Dr. McKay now?"

Uh oh. Seemed like McKay hadn't recovered from the whole thing.

"I see."

"Don't worry, Colonel. I promise you I'll take a look at this matter."

"Yes, Colonel."

"I'll see you."

General Hammond put the phone down.

"Jennings, tell Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter that I want to see them now. We'll resume this later on."

The General could feel a big headache coming.

"Yes, Sir."

Lt. Jennings was grateful, he wouldn't want to be at the end of all the General's questions about McKay. He quickly got out from the General office and went to find the Colonel and the Major.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Colonel and the Major were standing in front of Hammond's office now, she looked tense while he was ... untroubled. Lt. Jennings had told them that the General want to talk about their 'little fun' last week.

"Relax Carter." He said to her before he knocked at the door. She glared at him accusingly.

"Come in." The General called.

"We didn't actually break the rule, don't worry." He opened the door and stepped inside. He was right, they didn't break any rule, but it was so close, too close in fact. She shook her head and followed him, at least she was not alone.

"You're looking for us, General?" the Colonel asked.

"Yes, Colonel, Major, please take a seat."

After they were seated, the General gave them a stern look.

"I've just been on the phone with a certain Russian General."

"Yes?" the Colonel played innocent.

"They voiced their concern about the Doctor's condition after he came back from Colorado Springs."

"What about it?"

"Don't play dumb, Colonel. I know what you were doing. McKay is a brilliant scientist, if the test was not conducted under SG-1 supervision, he would be joining us right now." Hammond was not a stranger when dealing with Colonel O'Neill.

"Well, Sir. He just has to live with the fact that he could not." The Colonel was smiling.

"Major, do you want to say something?" Hammond turned to the Major.

"No Sir. He failed the test and there's nothing I can do about it." She was well trained by the Colonel.

"I see." The General conceded, besides he didn't like McKay either. If the Russian wanted to continue the matter, there was no evidence anyway, he could just hand them the security camera tape. From what he heard, McKay was more shaken mentally than physically.

"Anything else, Sir?"

"I'm going to overlook this once, Colonel. But next time you're going to do anything this again, please give me a warning first."

"Will do, General." The Colonel knew the General well; he was only doing his job by questioning them.

"Okay. You're dismissed. I believe I have lots of paperwork to read."

"Yes, Sir." The two officers then left the room, leaving the General alone in his office.

After the door was closed and they were outside, the Colonel looked at his Major.

"Hey, want to celebrate?" he asked.

"Celebrate what?" She was confused.

"The fact that McKay won't be joining us."

"We did have the party, Sir." They walked side by side down the corridor.

"Well, yeah. But that was a communal party. I'm talking about a private party."

"Private, Sir? How private?"

"Oh, let's see. I'm thinking about 'Ligna', the new Italian restaurant. There's me obviously, and then you, if you want to join the party. And ... that's it."

"Just you and me?" she was interested, but then again, there was always something between them.

"Yeah, me and you. What do you say?" he was trying to make it sound casual.

If she could get away with her contribution in McKay's trial maybe she could get away with this one as well. The Colonel had shown her that there were things that worth taking risks for, "I'd love to."

"Great, I'll see you at 19.00 topside?"

"See you there."

"Bye."

And then they were separated to their own destination. Unknown to them, Lt. Keller, the base's grapevine queen was walking behind them and had been listening to their conversation. Private party, huh? Her brain worked quickly, maybe she could ask Sgt. Ford to put bugs on every table at 'Ligna', and she was not taking any chances now. Experience had shown that you could not be too careful when dealing with SG-1. She quickly located one of the base's phones. She picked up the phone and dialled some numbers.

"Guys, we got another major situation."



End Notes: AN: Thanks for Minda who beta-read the whole story for me, and for all of you who had send me your reviews and feedback. Keep it coming ... :)

blue-topaz@lycos.com