samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR’S NOTES: Okay so this is my very first fic so....please be nice!! I can’t believe I'm actually posting it! PLEASE send me feedback, just to let me know if this completely sucks (so I shouldn’t bother to waste my time again) or if you actually enjoy it......i really hope you do! Oh and it’s not been beta’d so sorry for any mistakes!


Well this was a bad idea. I should never have let Janet talk me into this. This has to have been one of the worst and most boring nights of my life. It’s totally Janet’s fault.

Having been on a girls night out last night, we were having an excellent time, up until the end of the night when a guy came over chatting to me, obviously flirting, I wasn’t really interested. But Janet in her slightly pissed state thought she’d let her thoughts be known, at least quietly, thank god. She promptly told me that I couldn’t pine over a certain someone forever and why not see what this guy was like. At that moment, the guy, who I found out was called Mike, asked me if I fancied doing something tomorrow night. And after feeling Janet poke me in the back, despite myself, I agreed to go.

That’s why I find myself now in his car being driven back home, after what has been one of the most boring dates in my life. Turns out Mike owns some kind of a company and REALLY likes to talk about himself. He does seem to be sort of sweet but god can he talk for America and he’s so....boring. Thank god this night’s over. I’m never gonna listen to Janet again. Glancing out at the passing scenery....trees wow the Colonel would be happy, I halfheartedly listen to him nattering on about....something and smile occasionally to look like I'm interested, that's when I feel the car slow down and then stop fully.

"Why are we stopping?"

"Have you heard a word I was just saying?"

"What?...Oh I'm sorry, I must a drifted off for a moment, I had a hard day at work today so I'm a little tired"

"Really? Well deep space radar telemetry must be so exhausting." I hear the sarcasm in his voice and it just irritates me even more.

"Actually it is."

"Have you even heard a thing I've said all night?"

"Of course I have Mike."

"Yea whatever" God what is his problem, I have listened to him drone on for hours tonight.

"Look Mike, I'm sorry, really, look maybe this isn’t going to work.."

"You know what I think Sam?" I look at him curiously and with some irritation.

"What?" That's when I hear a *click* follow by a pistol being pointed at my head. Shit.

"I think that maybe you might pay a little more attention to me now!"

"What the hell are doing? Don’t be stupi..."

"Shut the FUCK up!" Running an agitated hand through his hair he then opens his car door, gun still aimed at my head. "Get out" Where the HELL has all this come from?!

"Wh.."

"I SAID get OUT!" Rising out of the car, I feel the cold autumn night air hit me straight away and wish I didn’t wear a damn skirt tonight. Then I start looking around assessing the situation, great in the middle of a damn forest. Welcome to Colorado Springs.

By this time Mike’s walked around the car and is nearing me, never once taking the gun off me.

"So looks like I've got your attention now huh Samantha?" He says cockily with a sly grin upon his face and then comes to stand right in front of me holding the gun firmly against my head. "All I wanted was for you to be impressed by me, for you to like me. I mean I take you to a nice restaurant and this is the thanks I get! What am I not good enough for you is that it?!"

Looking him straight in the eye showing no fear I try to think of a nice way to put it.

"That’s not it and you know it! I know you’re a very nice man....it’s just we’re totally different people, into completely different things.."

"What so I'm not intelligent enough for you am I? ‘Cause you’ve got a PHD in whatever"

"God! That's totally not what I'm saying. You say I don’t listen to you, well you don’t listen to a word I say either!" We’ve now both reached the point of shouting. God he’s such a prat!

"You’re right, because it’s all a load of bullshit! So why don’t you just shut the fuck up! Women like you are better that way. Not heard. You’re only good for one thing" With that he runs his eyes up and down my body. Don’t even think about it.

"What beating the shit out of you?!" He backhands me across the face with the gun for that, then quickly replaces it to my head as I flex my jaw knowing I'll have some nice bruising there tomorrow.

"Shut up bitch. Don’t tempt me to put a hole in your head, ‘cause you know I'll do it. God! You type of women are all the same, thinking only of number one and thinking I'm not good enough, well I AM!" This guys completely lost it, I know it’s true he wouldn’t care about putting a bullet in my head right now, he’s crazy enough. "You know what, YOU’RE the one who's good for nothing!...Well except for one thing.." With that the hand not holding the gun travels up my body to grope me through my jacket, and my stomach turns. He glances down momentarily, finding the hem of my skirt beginning to pull it up and I use his moment of distraction to my advantage. One hand quickly grabbing his and pointing the gun away from my head while the other lands a powerful blow to his stomach while I simultaneously knee him in the groin. He groans in pain, his hand on the gun going loose and a flick of my hand sends the gun flying somewhere unseen. He swears under his breath pissed off and roughly pushes me away from him and rushes around his car to the drivers side.

"Screw this! I don’t wanna fuck a bitch like you!" With that he climbs in his car and start his engine. He moves the car away a little then breaks seeming to change his mind, that's when I hear the tires screeching in protest as suddenly the car reverses towards me at full speed.

Instinctively I dive to the side seconds before he hits me and then start to roll down the slight decline until, grabbing onto the earth, I manage to stop.

Trying to hold my breath, I listen careful and hear the car pull away and listen until I can no longer hear it and then lift myself from the ground, brushing myself off. Shit, what a night this has been. I clamber my way to the top, cringing slightly as a few back muscles protest no doubt not enjoying being smacked against a few rocks on the way down. Reaching the top I stand at the side of the road and look up and down, trying to get my bearings.

I know we started on this road only a couple of minutes ago, so it’s a good 8 mile walk, and that's just to the city center. God, what have I got myself into?

Reaching into my jacket pocket I'm thankful to find my keys still inside the open pocket and pull my mobile out of my other one, cursing myself for not bringing my purse. Mike said I didn’t need to bring it, he’d give me a ride home and stupid me agreed not wanting to bulk up my jacket.

"Oh no" I can’t help but groan as I see the smashed screen and slightly battered state of my phone. Holding the on button, I sigh in relief when the screen lights up, and it works fine, for the time being anyway, getting Janet's number up in my phone book I phone her house.

"Hi we’re not in right now but please leave a message after the tone." Swearing to myself I hang up, no way I'm leaving a message, and phone her mobile "The person you are calling can not be reached at the moment please try again later"

"Shit shit SHIT!" Then it dawns on me, she was saying something about her and Cassie maybe going out tonight. I close my eyes and let out a deep breath knowing there’s only one other person I can call. I dial the number and pray he’s home. After 6 rings, I feel my heart lurch and tears of frustration build up when the answering machine clicks on.

"Hi this is Jack O’Neill, leave you name and.." Just as I’m about to hang up I hear the message break off and then a familiar voice, "I’m here. Hello?" I’m too shocked to speak at first "Is anyone there?"

"...Sir, it’s me"

"Carter? Do you know what time it is?" He asks in a croaky voice, then when he speaks again I hear confusion and concern "Where the hell are you?"

"I erm, don’t know exactly sir?"

"What do you mean you don’t know?" I hear the concern in his voice deepen. "Are you alright?"

"Yea I’m fine, it’s a long story, look can you come pick me up? I’m somewhere along forest-side road, north bound."

"Sure, do you have any idea where about's?"

"Not exactly but I'm guessing I'm about a 5 minute drive from the center, all I know is I can see a sharp bend up ahead."

"Don’t worry I'll find you, look I'll take my mobile so if you see me go past ring OK?"

"OK."

"Stay where you are Sam, I'll be there in about 10 mins OK?"

"Yeah OK.....Sir?"

"Yea?"

"Can you hurry please?"

"I will Sam, hold tight I'll be there soon, bye."

With that he hangs up and I put my phone away, crossing my arms in front of myself to ward off the cool air which seems to be getting cooler by the minute.

After a couple of minutes I see some headlights in the distance coming around the corner. ‘There’s no way it can be the Colonel, even he couldn’t get here that fast’ So instinctively I move back down the incline a little, into the shadows and feel my heart start pounding in my chest as I see the familiar ford mondeo speed past. ‘Shit Mike’s looking for me’.

"Come on Jack please hurry up" I can’t help but mumble out loud. Its while glancing down the road, something catches my eye a bit further up, just on the tarmac of the road. Quickly moving towards it I realize it’s the gun. I reach down and grab it and move back to the relative safety of the roadside. Standing there, I stare at the offending object and while examining it, feel something slick on the handle. Bring my fingers towards my eyes...it looks like...blood. Then I remember the blow across my face, feeling the top of my cheekbone I feel the same slickness and see the same substance when I pull my fingers away. That's when I hear another car approaching.

Looking up I see it’s heading towards me from the town center, so it can’t be Mike. It quickly zooms past me but from the shape I can tell it isn’t the Colonel, I sigh in displeasure but then right on its heals is another car, this one at a slightly slower pace.

Pulling the mobile out I quickly dial the Colonels mobile number as the vehicle that goes past resembles the Colonels truck.

"Carter.."

"Sir, are you on forest road now."

"Yea"

"Stop your car." I see the car up ahead suddenly brake.

"I think I see you, flash your lights twice." *Flash* *Flash* "Yea I see you, I'm walking over now." With that I hang up, and release the breath I didn’t know I was holding.

Just as I'm nearing the truck I see a figure coming around to the passengers side with the unmistakable walk of the Colonel’s, heading straight to me.

"Carter?"

"It’s me Sir" And we finally reach each other and I have to resist the urge to reach over and hug him tightly.

"Jesus Sam! I thought you said you were OK!" He says looking me over.

"Well I am"

"Like hell you are! Come on lets get you inside" With that he opens the passenger door for me, placing a hand the small of my back, leading me inside. Once I’ve clambered in, he goes around to his own side and as soon as his door is closed behind him, his attention is straight back on me. "God Sam, what the hell has happened to you?" He asks straight away while he scoots in his seat moving closer to me, that's when I see his eyes glance curiously at something in my lap. The gun. Oops forgot about it. "Where’d you get that?"

Letting out a breath I close my eyes momentarily, then open them and begin to speak.

"A guy pulled this out on me in his car, I'll tell you about it later OK?" I can see that he accepts that, for now, but I know he’ll want to know everything later.

"What happened to you’re head?"

"Oh, smacked with a gun, its nothing."

"Yea well I think I'll be the judge of that" Immediately he moves my head to get a better look and starts probing the area gently but I still can’t help the intake of breath as he touches a tender spot.

"Sorry" He mumbles, but still probes "Looks like its just superficial, but we’re gonna have to clean it so it doesn’t get infected." He then reached over me into his glove box and pulls out a hankie "Don’t worry its clean" And then proceeds to clean the worst of the blood away "Hold that against it OK? Now, any more injures you’ve forgotten to tell me about"

"No, doctor" I can’t help but say sarcastically.

"You sure? I know what your version of ‘fine’ is" He then raises his eyebrows as if to further his point.

"No, apart from a few aching muscles that’s it" He still looks dubious. "I swear! Look can you just take me home?"

"Sorry no can do" I look at him in shock, mouth gapping open like a fish no doubt.

"Wha..."

"If you think I'm taking you home you’ve got another thing coming, you’re coming back to mine. And that's an order." He looks at me in ‘that’ determined way and I know he’s not kidding. That said he starts the drive back to his house.

*******************************

"Come on Sam, we’re here."

Huh? Oh I must had fallen asleep, god I didn’t realize I was so tired. Looking up I see we’re parked on the Colonels drive, him standing next to the car on my side, holding the door open. I can’t believe I’ve slept through the car stopping.

"You’re not gonna make me carry you are you?" I know he’s joking, but looking at his face I can see there’s some seriousness there.

"No, I can walk perfectly fine thank you." And I then undo my belt and climb down as if to prove my point.

"Ah, good. It would be murder on the back you know." I can’t help but grin at the thought as he leads the way to his front door.

After letting us in he leads me to the sofa, gently pushing me down onto it and tells me to "stay right there", I’m not complaining, I don’t fancy to much exertion at the moment, takes to much energy. It seems as soon as he leaves he’s back again, but with a small box in his hand and then he’s sitting besides me.

"I’m gonna give Janet a call in a minute, you’ve gotta get checked over..."

"Look I'm fine seriously.."

"Well I'd rather hear that from her, AND.." he speaks up before I can butt in again "I know for a fact that Janet would WANT to know about this."

"Maybe, but there's no point calling her, she’s not home, anyway I’ve told you, I'm fine"

"Yea, well I'd rather hear that from her." He then gets up grabs the phone and dials one of his speed-dials. "Just trying her mobile, incase it’s turned on" Seeing the sour look that cross’s his face a moment later, I know he’s through to the same message I got. "OK, you’re right, but that doesn’t let you off missy, first thing tomorrow morning, you’re going to see her."

"Fine" I say in resignation.

"Now let me clean you’re head up" With that said he sits beside me again and begins cleaning it carefully with his first-aid kit while grilling me. "So....you gonna tell me what happened tonight? Who pulled a gun on you?"

"I might as well get the whole story out now huh?" Taking a deep breath I recount what happened tonight.

".....and that's when you turned up, so you know the rest."

"And what about your head? You said something about getting hit with the gun?"

"Oh, I just said something to him he didn’t like so he smacked me with it" I can’t help but intake a breath as he puts pressure on the wound, putting some kind of cover over it

"Sorry"

"It’s OK. You nearly done?"

"Yea almost, look Sam he didn’t....you know....do anything else did he?" I know what he’s insinuating and I'm just thankful that I can answer no to it. Taking a shaking breath for an unknown reason I look him in the eyes and tell him the truth.

"No he didn’t, he tried, but he didn’t" And I see him sigh in relief.

"I’m glad, god if he hurt you, I swear....."

"I know, I know" And I do. We just stay like that for a few seconds, in a ‘moment’ before he clears his voice and puts on his usual guarded expression. "Look, can I get you anything?"

"No I'm fine...i just wanna go to sleep, but I could kill for a shower first."

"Sure help yourself, you climb in and I'll get you something to sleep in. Everything you needs in the bathroom, oh and there's a spare toothbrush in the cabinet"

"Thanks." With that I rise and make my way to the bathroom, spending longer than usual in the shower, enjoying the hot water beating down on me trying to get warm and clean while keeping my head bandages dry. After finishing I quickly brush my teeth, finding it kind of sentimental seeing my toothbrush next to his, and pad quietly over to the guest bedroom.

Closing the bedroom door behind me I smile seeing the Colonel has left me his beloved Vancouver Canucks shirt and a pair of sweat pants, which even if they are hugely baggy on me, I can wear. Pulling them on my smile widens when I smell the Colonels scent on them, and inhale deeply before climbing exhaustedly into bed and snuggling under the covers, enhancing the smell of him even more, the only thing that’s missing is....him.

Even though I'm so tired I feel like I could sleep for days, sleep still eludes me. After tossing and turning for about half an hour I open my eyes in frustration, only to close them again quickly and deepen my breathing, feigning sleep, when I hear the door creek open. I then hear the Colonel’s light footsteps as he walks to my side and places a drink of water on the bedside cabinet, followed by a feather soft kiss on my forehead. Before creeping out of the room, no doubt going to bed himself, and I hear him whisper "Night Sam". And then he leaves the room, quietly closing the door behind him.

"Night Jack" I whisper back to the empty room while I turn on my other side, once again attempting sleep.

********************************

Shaking slightly, I wonder how the room can possibly get any colder? I try to bury myself deeper under the covers but to no avail, I just can’t seem to get warm at all. An hour I've been tossing and turning for now and still not a bit off sleep. I’ve had enough of this. Throwing the covers back, I climb out of bed and head out into the hall, hugging myself trying to keep a bit of my body heat.

I’m about to go downstairs, when suddenly I pause outside the Colonels door and can’t seem to move away. Not knowing why I am doing so, I open the door and step slightly inside. Hearing the door creak open, the Colonel lifts his head looking to the doorway and in a croaky voice asks. "Sam? You OK?"

"Yea Its just...."

"It’s just what?"

"I....I can’t get warm" I know I'm still shaking but I can’t seem to stop myself no matter how hard I try.

Without a second thought he lifts the end of his quilt up inviting me in. "Come on, get in"

Moving towards him, I cautiously climb into his bed, my back to him while pulling the covers right up to my neck, but I still feel myself shake as warmth is still out of my grasp.

"Still cold?" He asks obviously noticing the shaking and I nod in response, too tired to be bothered speaking.

Suddenly I feel the bed dip as he moves towards me, followed by an arm wrapping around my waist, pulling me towards him, his hand sliding over to rest on my stomach as he spoons up tightly behind me, while burying his face in my hair. I can’t help but sigh in pleasure and move my hand to cover his and then move as far back as I can into his embrace, feeling his heat seeping into my body, warming me up.

That’s when I realize as I know he has, this is what I needed to get warm, him and only him.

Smiling at the thought I finally start to drift of into a peaceful sleep, knowing I don’t need to worry about what tomorrow brings because whatever happens, even if me and Jack aren’t ‘together’ right now, he’ll always be by my side helping me as I help him, and we’ll always be together in our hearts, until one day.....who knows what we may become. ‘Maybe this night hasn’t been to bad after all..’ is my last conscious thought before I drift into a dreamless sleep while safely encased in Jack’s arms.

THE END