samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author: Katmellie (Katmellie17)

Email: Katmellie@AOL.com (Katmellie@Yahoo.co.uk)


Doing the Honourable Thing


This whole retirement thing never really worked for me, sitting at home with nothing to do, but if you enjoy watching the world, fall apart around you, then you go for it. I myself can't stand to be unmoving; always doing something that's productive or will keep me occupied till the mission. Playing on my playstation in my quarters, trying to find that damn office of mine, or sitting with Carter would keep me occupied. Even though I spent eight years looking for my office, never did find it until they wanted me to pack it up, even then that was only to clean the dust off the desk and furniture.

Sitting with Carter, or actually doing anything with Carter, would calm my nerves; stop my hands from itching to do something. She never realised that she'd that affected on me, it was the way she smiled at me, letting me know I was welcome but if I didn't behave, she'd kick me out of there quicker than she could say 'phenomenal'. I always liked her smile, it fascinated me the way the corner of her lips turned up, then her top lip would slowly lift up, showing just the right amount of teeth, making her eyes light up in the dullest of light.

Of course this all ended on one tragic day for me, a normal survey mission turned into the worse day of my life, worst than watching Carter behind that force field. Because that day I did lose her, lost my chance to go through that gate again, lost my place on SG-1 and in the SGC. Being shot was nothing, compared to the pain I went through, during the rehabilitation and surgery period. The shot to my shoulder, cleanly took away any chance of a future for the SGC and me. Taking my use of my shoulder away from me for some months after the incident.

When I'd been sat in the academy hospital for two months, Carter spent most of her time there, sat at my bedside through some nights. I'm thankful that she was there, so were some of the nurses and doctors, keeping me sane and occupied while the nurses ran circles round me, making sure I was comfortable and okay. The longer Carter was there, it seemed she'd always been there, acting like mother when I tried eating with my bad arm. Getting most of the food, over my gown than in my mouth.

Rehabilitation was the fun part, yeah and I'll win the Javelin next Olympics, with my bad shoulder. The trainer or nurse, whatever she was, she was okay up to the point where I'm sure, Dr Fraiser's got a secret sister of pain out there. Never letting me miss any appointments, came round my house when I rung in and said I was ill, knowing I'd be in bed where I liked to be. In bed I'd pretend it wasn't happening, I was still able and fit to go out into the field, not sit at home and work on my channel swapping. When I insisted I wasn't going to do it, she rung up her secret weapon, Carter. Who'd give me an ear bashing, telling me by the end of the year, if I couldn't give her a piggyback, she'd never come to my cabin.

Looking round the place, I guess I never was able to give her that piggyback, because I certainly don't see her anywhere. Haven't seen any of them in seven years. They're to busy for me and I'm too busy with the academy, sorting through the wannabe's and the canbe's. Some of the brightest kids are put forward, but only a third of them make it through the training program. I never hang round long enough to get to know them, just turn up for the induction and picking the recruits, then I leave it up to the other ex-SGC field operatives, to make sure they can hack it in the field.

I don't really want to leave the sanctuary of my cabin, keeping myself away from the world, letting everyone else deal with the Goa'uld and anyone else they've pissed off lately. But I feel impelled to go, the call out of the blue from Daniel, telling me that someone close to me, could be dead or held in a cell somewhere. Anyone would go somewhere to feel close to someone, to get in the nearest vehicle and get there as fast as they could. But I know its no used doing that, a mad rush across state lines to get somewhere, when I know she's probably dead or one of them.

The ceremony is going to be held in two days, in the gate room, for all those who were lost that day, dead or missing. I feel I should be on that list, I've never been the same since the day I left Colorado, fed up of not hearing from any of them, never seeing any of them as much as I used too. Even when I did see them, it wasn't long before the phone would ring, calling them back to the base, calling them away from me. It'd always be like that, one minute we could be talking, the next I would be attending their funerals. I don't like thinking this way, seeing the bad things instead of the good things, but there aren't many good things in my life anymore. All of them, been taken away from me over time.

Pulling out my sock draw, I take enough out for three days; closing the draw I turn to face the pile of clothes, sticking out the top of my gym back. I've always hated packing; things never go in how I want them, always creasing them selves when I unpack. But I know I've got to do this, I want to be there to show my respect for her, let my feelings have a chance to say goodbye to my companion, travelling everywhere with me in my head and in my heart. Once I found myself having a conversation with her, discussing the fundamentals of fishing and the objective of relaxation.

Fighting the zip to travel up its path, connecting the teeth on either side to the other side. Zips have it so easy; they've got two chosen paths set out for them. They can either zip up, closing the bag up, or they can unzip. Now I know this may sound silly, but I wish my life was that easy, having paths set out for me, giving me the choice of two. Do I choose door number one, a complicated life with Carter in it behind the door, or do I choose door number two, simple life for the rest of my days with no Carter. Guess I chose door number two.

Guilt would describe how I'm feeling, if I'd only done this and that, I wouldn't have gotten shot and still been able to protect her while off world, making sure I was the one, who got captured. She'd told me one night in the hospital, I was supposed to be asleep and she was supposed to be leaving, she felt guiltily because if she'd hadn't asked to stay an extra hour, we wouldn't have ran into the Jaffa, coming through the gate when we were gating home. If it was anyone's fault it was my own, I shouldn't have strayed from them, drawing the attention of the Jaffa away from them, letting them chase me through woodland until they'd gated home, sending reinforcements to come rescue me from my ten mile run in circles.

Two days I spent lying in a heap, nursing my shoulder when I could encourage enough energy to my arm, waiting for them to come and get me. The Jaffa left me for dead, but not before they'd had their fun with me. Oh no, couldn't leave me there without giving the Tauri something to think about. I don't actually remember how many times they'd kicked me, punched me and threw me around. Doc Fraiser wasn't too pleased though, when she got her X-rays back, some cursing was heard from the petite woman. She'd done some complaining at the General, telling him he should've sent help sooner instead of a body retrieval team. Their faces when I limped down the ramp, held up by three of the team, that'd come and got me, was a sight I never wanted to see again.

But that's in the past, I think to myself picking up my bag and my dress uniform, still being on the governments pay roll has some ups and some downs, dress uniform one of them. I hate wearing the claustrophobic uniform. Carter loved hers, took three hours to get her out of it, when some top brass were touring the SGC. At one point, I came close to knocking her out with Daniel's books, one of the really thick ones that are older than me. When her father was ill, she'd hated the uniform, throwing it round like a piece of trash, when we'd come back until I told her she was better than that.

Collecting my keys and wallet off the kitchen counter, I slip my wallet into my back pocket of my jeans, heading for the front door, casting an inspective eye over everything. Things being where they're supposed to be, I open the front door, juggling with my gym bag and the hanger with my blues on. Outside seems more welcoming than yesterday. Rain, rain, rain is all I've had for the past three days but today, the sun's shining down on me. There's a saying that the sun shines down on a holy person or something, so whatever the reason it's shining down on me I'll never know. I'd be the last person they'd grant entrance to heaven.

**************************************************************

Arriving at the base, I found Daniel and Teal'c waiting for me up top, both dressed very smartly, looking like some top businessmen. They both keep their faces low, not willing to look me in the face, thinking I'd blame them for Carter. I already understand it's not their fault; everyone's numbers are in a lottery, its just chance that Carter's was pulled out so soon in her life. Mine's been pulled out many a time before, but somehow I've managed to cheat death, passing it on to someone else who didn't deserve it.

Taking my hat off my head, I ruffled up my hair looking round at the other officers, a sea of blue and green making their way to the elevator. My eyes are hidden behind my sunglasses; I don't want them to see the mix emotions in my eyes. In some ways I do blame them, if they'd gone back sooner like Hammond should've done for me, they'd probably have got there before the Goa'uld left, bringing her back safe and sound. But this is a cruel world, cruel galaxy that we live in.

Squeezing passed them to the elevator; I wedged my hat under my arm, listening to their feet on the ground behind him. "It is good to see you well, O'Neill"

Nodding my head in recognition, I step into the empty elevator, passing everyone else who was waiting to go in, when they all stepped aside to let me pass them. A lot of military people do that, anyone who knows anything about the Stargate program, stop to either whisper about me or ask me how things are going in the secret war. Sometimes I wonder how some of these people know who I am, this being a secret project; there shouldn't be a picture of me even associated with the program. Maybe the odd official picture, but not one that everyone can get their hands on. It'd taken me at least five years, to get hold of one of Carter, she doesn't…. didn't like having her picture taken.

Leaning back against the elevator wall, I watch Daniel pressed the allocated button for the SGC entrance, turning round to face me. While the doors closed off to the crowd of military, personalising the elevator for the close friends of SG-1. Sliding my sunglasses down my nose, Daniel leaned against the wall beside me, while Teal'c stood at my side, his hands clasped behind his back, making his suit jacket opened out slightly.

"I'm sorry, Jack. We did everything we could've done. But she didn't listen to us, Jack" Daniel said, wiping a hand over his brow, shifting his hair from his forehead. "I told her not to go back for him, to get to the gate with the others. She just turned her back on me, running back for Captain Conyers. I tried Jack; I tried to stay as long as we could. I saw them captured her and Conyers, taking them aboard some cargo ship"

Handing my hat over to Teal'c, I unbutton my jacket turning to face Daniel, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Daniel, don't let it eat you up. She made the choice to go back, like I made the choice to confuse myself like hell, by running round in circles for three hours"

Daniel removed his glasses, cleaning them with the end of his tie, glancing up at the level reader, showing we're only two floors from the SGC entrance. Affectionately I squeezed his shoulder, looking to Teal'c when the doors opened, showing a busy floor of people signing in and heading into the next elevator. Leading the way out of the elevator, I shoved my hands into my pockets, parting my jacket from in front of me.

It felt weird to be entering this floor after so long, seeing the usual faces that manned the signing in point, extra busy with what looked like all of the personnel, coming in to attend the ceremony. The last time I saw this many people at the base, was when someone had set a hidden camera in the women's locker room and when people were lining up to watch Carter explode at McKay, somehow she managed to keep it bottled up. Those were the good old days, there may have been hell on the front lines, there may have been people dieing on a daily basis. But once at the SGC, people had fun and I made sure of that, until Carter found the bug above her locker. I made sure you couldn't see her, just everyone else in the room.

They all did it again, split down the middle, so I could get to the signing out desk. That training of mine, was made redundant when they do this, there's nowhere for me to disappear off to or fade into because everyone's watching me. This would be the times I wish Carter was here, she'd give them that glared of hers and they'd all looked away, my nerves would relax for a while until she looked at me. Passing passed the people standing around; I take the offered clipboard from Lieutenant Thacker. Signing my life away like I'm always doing, Doc Fraiser does it a lot when she takes Cassie shopping and Carter to the kiddie's store. Her and toy motorbikes I'll never understand.

When we did that search of her house, I'd been searching down in the basement, with her towering over me, pulling back this blanket cover thing, I found one of those kids motorbikes. Ya know the ones that are powered by a car battery; the kids ride it until they run into someone's ankles, ramming the poor person into submission. Then she went and freaked me out by getting on the damn thing, raced round her basement on it, no not quite that… chasing me round the basement for ten minutes. I always knew she was a freaky woman.

Entering the next elevator, I reclaim my hat from Teal'c, following them both into the elevator. They both actually look good, Teal'c wearing a suit; Daniel and me took him to buy, when he wanted to look good for Cassie's graduation. Daniel was wearing… a suit that I've never seen him in before, but he looks sharp…ess. And I just looked like me, hair combed flat for once, the closest shave I've had in awhile. I taken that extra bit of time this morning, getting ready for this, I want to look good for her even though she's not here.

**************************************************************

Standing around the commissary, listening to some of the top brass who'd popped by to put their face in, to make themselves look good instead of paying respects to those who are lost. I could really lose my temper with one of them, listening to them go on about how well they'd known them, even though to them they're just a name on a list. I've never even heard some of the General's that stand in the room, all of them balding or too stupid to know how they got where they are today. I hate those types of Generals, Generals like Hammond are what will keep this country a float, Generals like him I respect.

Gulping down the rest of my drink, I turn round to find Daniel, listening to one of Janet's nurses, whispering something into his ear. He nods his head to her a few times, telling her he'll be right down in a minute. Placing my drink on the side, I nod my head at her when she passes me, turning my attention to the archaeologist, snacking on some snacks before finishing off his drink.

"Jack, there's something I've got to ask you and tell you about" Daniel said, placing his glass next to mine on the side, wiping his hand down his tie.

Gladly I followed behind him, not bothering to spare the wrinkling Generals a minute of my time, pushing passed the actual moaners. Tugging at my tie, I pull it from round my shirt collar, rolling it up to shove into my pocket, entering the lift two steps behind Daniel and one in front of Teal'c. Teal'c's been silent since the beginning of the ceremony, hasn't said a word to anyone, sticking close to my side for some reason. I don't mind him tagging onto me, it sort of reminds me of the old days, those enjoyable days all those seven years ago.

The doors closed to us when Daniel pressed a button, folding his arms over his chest, biting on his thumb while he turns to face me. Why does he always do that? It must be something he picked up from his father, or his mother, before they were… before they had their accident. Daniel never told me much about it, learnt about the details from Carter's report, letting Daniel off that time with the excuse, it was emotionally upsetting for him. I think it would've upset me, to watch my parents be killed time and time again, god knows it drove me mental when First, kept punishing me with Charlie's… death.

Massaging the back of my neck, I look up when the doors opened, allowing Daniel to lead the way out of the elevator, leading the way to the infirmary. Even at the distance I am from the infirmary, I can smell the cleaning solution; they use to clean the floors and whatever they use to clean their things of torture. Depending on what nurse you have, the company in there was good, all of them good sports to part with their money, losing at a game of poker. My momma didn't raise any fool.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I followed Daniel into Janet's office, noticing through the window a small girl, sat playing with her dolls on once of the beds. She can't be no older than four or five, the bed showing how small she is compare to fully-grown person. Looking at her, she looks a little lost, her colourful clothes clashing with the grey and dull colours of this adult world. Doc patients seem to get younger and younger, and they seemed to be recruiting them young. Looking round when I hear the door click, watching Doc's hand let go of the doorknob.

"Jack, I think you should sit down for this" Daniel said, turning one of the chairs in front of Doc's desk towards me, patting the padding that lined the back of the chair.

Looking at their faces, they all seemed to be preoccupied by something, they've got that look they've got when they're being real serious or telling me off for breaking something. Raising my eyebrows at their sudden change, I pull at my pant legs before sitting down, leaning onto my knees with my elbows. The three of them looked at one another, moving to group together, glancing through the window at something and then at me. Wiping at my nose, I sit back into the seat, looking around the room. She's actually redecorated in here, a slight lilac colour to the walls.

"Jack" I looked at Daniel, sitting down on the edge desk. "Sam, a few years ago, started seeing some guy named Duncan. They saw each other for while, then they broke up over something, I don't really know what. Sam didn't want to talk about it. Then some months…"

"Daniel, is this gonna be like one of your lectures or is there a point to all of this?" I asked, shifting in my seat to face him.

He takes his glasses off, placing them down on Doc's desk, rubbing at the bridge of his nose. "About a month after they broke up, Sam found out she was pregnant with Linole"

Okay, rewind and freeze. Carter has a child. Carter had a child with out me. Heart attack, I'm sure of it. My heart's trying to burst through my chest, fly across the room into the trash bin. Slowly I get to my feet, running a hand through my hair, circling round the chair to stand behind it. I can see the little girl through the window, talking with one of the nurses, showing her something in her hands. Looking at the little girl, I start to notice the similarities in her of Carter. The long blonde hair just like how the other Carter's hair was like, her shocking blue eyes catching everyone's attention, when they look at her.

Moving the chair out of my way, I push passed Teal'c and Doc, standing so close to the window pane, I can see my breath before it fades, soon returning when I breath again. Out the corner of my eye, I see Daniel and others line up, watching the little girl on the bed, making the nurse laugh about something. I'm shocked to hear Carter's giggle, not from Carter but from this little girl.

"Is that…?" I point at the window at her, unable to take my eyes from the adoring form.

Daniel's hand came to rest on my shoulder. "That's Linole"

If I were to place any bets, I'd say that's how Carter would've look, when she was younger. She'd probably be playing with radios and computers though, not dolls except for that doll guy, what was his name? It doesn't matter. Thinking about it, I get the feeling this little girls going to confuse me like her mother did. I mean how confusing is the message, 'Time to let go and be us'. When the nurse, had given it to me, it'd taken me at least half-hour to get myself out of lock down. Sat on the edge of my bed, wondering who'd sent it and what it meant. I'm a simple man, I need things to be said to me direct, not riddle me this riddle me that.

"Sir, we need you to do something for us? Do something for Sam?" Doc said, pulling me round to face her.

I have the feeling they've been practicing this in front of a mirror or in front of one another. "Depends what it is?"

"You know from first hand, how many hours we work here, how much of a chance we get to do things out of the base" Doc said, Daniel and Teal'c moving in behind her, Daniel's hand supporting her on her shoulder. "We need you to take Linole"

My hands shot up from my sides, backing up till my back was flat against the wall. "No, no, no and no. I can't be taking care of child. Why can't you have her? She at least knows you lot"

"Sir, we wouldn't ask if we could. I don't think I'll be able to hack bringing up another one, now that I've got Doctor Warner's work load and the academy, taking most of my time away from me. Daniel spends more time off world than he is on world. Teal'c's leader SG-1 now, so he's off world as well. There's no one else who can take her"

"What sort of a role model would I be for her? I don't know the first thing about bringing up a girl. Doc, she'd be better off having you around. Cassie could look after her." I say, moving away from the wall, the pressure being taken off when they all back up.

Doc shook her head at me. "You haven't seen her apartment, have you? The only thing she can look after at the moment is the mould growing in her freezer box and her self. And sir, you'd be a brilliant role model for her"

Now I'm sceptic, these people don't really know me. I'm a fifty two year old, who plays playstation and thinks the gummy bears really existed, when I watch it with Charlie for the first time. I might be good with kids, but that's only because I'm a big kid myself.

"And how would I, make a good role model?"

Daniel pulls a face, scratching at his hair while he looks between Doc and Teal'c. "Okay, so nothing really comes to mind at moment. But, Jack." Daniel steps passed Doc, grabbing hold of me by my shoulders. I glanced at his hand on my bad shoulder, making him take it away again. "She needs you more than anything. Now, Sam's gone. There's no one else who can take her. Her own father doesn't want to have anything to do with her"

Shaking my head, I unbutton the top buttons on my shirt, turning out of Daniel's hold to watch the little girl. "You really expect me, to be able to bring her up? She's probably way smarter than me, she'll be the one bringing me up"

"O'Neill, I believe you are most capable of doing this task. Children seem to… listen to you" Teal'c said, inclining his head some before looking back at the little girl.

It's not that I don't want to take her, maybe some but that's not what's bothering me. What happens if I kill Carter's kid like I did my own? Leave the gun lying round, letting anyone just pick it up and play with it. How could anyone trust me with a child, knowing that I killed my own? They can't entrust this child, Carter's child, in my hands, I'll ruin it like everything that's been giving to me over the years.

"Jack, you'll learn from your mistakes. What happen with Charlie won't happen with Linole, you won't because she's Sam's" Daniel said, now with his glasses back on.

Leaning against the windowpane, my forehead pressed against the cool glass, knowing his words spoke truth. It can't happen again, the safe under my bed keeps my gun locked away. I can't even remember the combination for it anyway. Charlie's birthday has nothing to do with it, Carter's might be it, just can't remember, if I changed or not.

"Jack, will you take her?"

Turning away from the window, I lean back against it, taking a deep breath. With a quick glance over my shoulder, catching a smile from the youngster, I can't stop how it makes me feels, smiling my own smile at the reaction of seeing hers. "I'll take her"

There was a heavy sigh in the room, they all moved away, conferring on how they're going to tell her. Linole, wonder how Carter came up with that, guess I'll never know now. The history in the SGC, if someone's missing, they're more than likely dead or never to be seen again. But… as a member of SG-1, she has the task of keeping our good name good, by doing the unexpected and come home. I wish she were home now.

*************************************************************

Redecorating the spare bedroom for a little girl, had taken most of the week, getting the furniture and putting it together. Why does everything have the instructions for Japanese but not English? I stayed away from the pinks, went for a pale yellow paint for the walls and pale blue carpet. Daniel brought all her toys and things, bringing Teal'c and Jonas to help decorating. Jonas heard about Carter and came as soon as he could, trying to help out and do his bit. It was nice to see Jonas again, even though I noticed he'd got a very similar hair cut to my own.

They'd be here any minute; Daniel and the Doc were bringing her up, with the rest of her clothes and toys. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with her. I haven't even spoken to her, so this is going to be fun. She'll resent me, I'll try and buy her things for her to accept me, and then she'll run away. But I'm going to try, I'm going to try because she's Carter's daughter and… because there's no one else who can take her. 'God. Help. Me'.

Slowly I see the maroon galaxy, coming up the track through the trees. Quickly looking round the room, I pull my shirt straight, swiftly walking to the door, changing to a jog from her bedroom to the front door. Opening the front door, I step outside when they'd pulled up, Daniel and Doc giving me a smile and a wave. Linole seems to have her face plaster to the back window, pointing at something she's seen. Daniel turned the engine off; Doc gets out and opened the back door for Linole. She shot out of there faster than anything, shooting off to look round the back.

"Jack, could you give me a hand with her things?" Daniel says, shutting his car door.

Doc races off after Linole, I chuckled at the sight of her, watching her run round the back wearing heels. Following Daniel to the trunk of the car, I reach into the vast space when he opened the trunk, to find all sorts dropping out onto the gravelled ground. Picking up two of the backpacks, I lead the way inside, seeing Doc fighting with Linole to keep her out the water. Stifling my laughter, I enter her bedroom, putting the bags down beside the doorway, noting down on the things to do list, to pack her new things away.

Daniel looked round the room, not having seen the finished result. "Hey, Jack. You didn't do a bad job of this. I could actually think about living in here"

"Don't think so, Danny. The beds for a kid, not a big kid who gets high on dust collecting books" I say, waving my finger at him over my shoulder, heading out the room.

I stopped in the hallway, seeing the Doc hiding the little princess behind her, or was she hiding behind the Doc. Wiping a hand over my mouth, I crouch down to be head height with her, finding her poking out from behind the Doc's coat, not sure what to make of me. Sometimes in the mornings, I'm not sure who I am, scared myself to death once, when I hadn't shaved for a while, staring at Santa when I looked in the mirror.

"Linole, this is Uncle Jack. You remember your mummy talking about him" Daniel said, moving passed me to bring Linole out from behind the Doc.

She nodded her head, keeping a watchful eye over me, clinging onto Daniel's leg while he brought her over to me, rubbing a soothing hand over her back. Kneeling down, I sat back onto my feet, feeling my knees click against the wooden floor. I don't know why, but I held my hand out to her, gingerly smiling at her. Curiously she turned from Daniel, taking a brave step towards me, sliding her small hand into my big hand. Gently engulfing her hand into mine, she lets one of Carter's smiles out, the once shy girl gone in a moment.

"You're my Uncle Jack?" She asked while I let go of her hand, resting my hands on my thighs.

Pulling a face slightly, I leant towards her slightly, not too much so I weren't over towering her. "If you drop the Uncle part, makes me sound older than I am"

"You're like grandpa. He doesn't like me to call him grandpa, because it makes him sound old" She said, swaying side to side slightly, looking up at the pictures on the wall.

Everyone chuckled while I got to my feet, grumbling and aching at the shots of pain up my legs. Pulling my shirt straight, I stepped aside and let her run into her room, surprised by her interest in it. Watching her look through the draws and cupboards, I can't help but be reminded of when Carter was looking for doohickey, throwing my things around while she search through my things. Happily she sits down on the floor, playing with some of the cuddle toys I've brought her, humming away to herself.

I look to Daniel when he placed a hand on my shoulder; the Doc passed us both and went into Linole's room, leaving Daniel and me to talk. "You've got everything sorted, right?"

Aimlessly I nod my head, watching the Doc say her goodbye to Linole, telling her she'll come see her soon. "Yeah. Have you explain it to her?"

"She doesn't really understand it. I thought I was going to cry last night, she kept asking when Sam's coming home. We've told her, Sam's gone away for a while"

I pushed him slightly, making him stumble slightly. "Thanks, pal. Now, I'll. I'll. Have to explain to her that's Carter's…"

"Sir. Daniel, do you want to say goodbye before we go?" Doc said, shutting the door slightly to Linole's room.

Daniel looked at me and then at Doc, dropping his head he passed the Doc, opening the door, calling Linole over. Sweeping my hair back, I turn away from the personal moment, heading into the kitchen to make a start on dinner. If she was any normal six year old, she won't eat greens or anything healthy. This I can deal with, who really wants to eat all that… nutritious stuff anyway.

"Sir" Turning round, I find the Doc coming towards me, glancing over her shoulder at Daniel and Linole. "Are you sure you're okay with this? We have kinda of compelled you to do it"

Shaking my head at her, I opened the freezer door, taking out the frozen burgers and fries. "It's okay. I understand"

She pats her hand on my shoulder, making me look at her. "It's very honourable what you're doing for her. For Sam, I know she'd be grateful of you taking her in"

Smiling at the small woman, I turned back to the freezer, feeling the cold draft filter through my pant legs, creating unwanted sensations on my skin. Shutting the door to the fridge, I glance at Daniel and Linole, seeing the young girl cry, tugging at the tail ends of Daniel's shirt. Leaving the box and the bag on the side, I somehow manage to get Linole to let go of Daniel, picking her up into my arms in one swell movement. Her arms clamped round my neck, crying into my shoulder, her little body shaking in my embrace.

Daniel rubbed her hair, placing a kiss on her head, quickly following Doc to the door, both with a pain expression on their faces. Soothingly I rub my hand over her back, bouncing her slightly, walking back into the kitchen, hearing the Galaxy model car, reversed back and then drive back down the dirt road. Hearing the car getting even further away, it finally settles in that I'm taking this child, bringing her up for the rest of her life. Taking a not very happy child at the moment.

Setting her down on the kitchen counter, next to the burgers and fries I got out the freeze, I wipe the tears away from her cheeks and her eyes; her cheeks red like a beetroot. Her small hands knock my hands away, wiping at her own eyes with the sleeve of her coat. She seems so lost, sat there looking outside the window, the odd snivel coming from her. Searching my pockets for a hanky, I turned in a full circle till I spot the kitchen roll. Ripping a sheet from it, I fold it in half, handing it over to her.

"Blow your nose. You'll feel better afterwards"

Taking the folded kitchen roll, she blew her nose while I opened the burger box, tipping one of the packages onto the counter beside her. She screwed up the kitchen roll in her hand, watching me open the plastic packet, containing four burgers. This reminds me when I used to make dinner for Charlie; we'd spend the whole day together down the park, playing catch. Coming home, he'd make me promised that we'd have burgers or something, depending on what his appetite was like that day. He used to enjoy helping me in the kitchen, trying to help but made a mess, so when Sara came home, dinner would be on the table with a lovely mess waiting in the kitchen for anyone to clean up.

Opening the cupboard with the pots and pans in, I select the frying pan and a baking tray, closing the door with my hip. Placing the frying pan on the counter, nearest the stove, I find Linole holding the burgers out to me, a small smile playing along her lips. It makes me smile the small gesture, taking the plastic packet from her; I scoop her up off the counter, only to regret it when my shoulder nearly gave way. Gradually I let her slid down my side, holding her steady while she got her footing.

"Why don't you go look through the rest of house, but don't go outside. Okay?"

Nodding her head, sheepishly she went off down the hallway towards my bedroom, looking up at the wall as she disappeared round the corner. Flinging the burgers back onto the counter, I lean back against the counter behind me, nursing my cursed shoulder. This is why I don't want people's life's in my hands anymore, I could've hurt her, if I didn't ignore the pain and set her down before she fell down. God help that child.

**************************************************************

Three Months Later

Arriving back at our cabin, she doesn't like it when I called it 'my cabin'; I pull up alongside the maroon galaxy that belonged to Daniel. She's out of the truck, faster than I've seen her move, except when she hears ice creams is the topic of discussion, there's no stopping her then. Pulling the door handle on my door, I watch her run round to the back of cabin, getting out to shut my door with a soundly thud. Picking up the two brown bags from the back of my truck, I flick through my keys till I get to the front door key, catching sight of Daniel and Linole through the windows.

Unlocking the front door, I leave it open for Linole, so she can pull are unannounced guest through the door. She's settled in better than I thought she would. No major incidents, apart from when she wanted to nab, Carter's picture from my bedroom. The only thing I regret, she hasn't really got any friends here, the closest family is about an hours walk down the road, I don't think I'm gonna let her walk down there by herself. Hopefully it'll cheer her up next month, taking her to Chicago for my family's reunion thing. They've never done anything like it, since my grandfather died, some years ago.

Dumping the bags on the counter, I hang my keys up on the key hook, flicking on the kettle for Daniel's caffeine top up. Shrugging off my jacket, I leave the kitchen and go into the hallway, holding the coat by its loop. Footsteps enter the house, one set is Linole's and the others are Daniel's. Rolling up my sleeves, I head back into the kitchen with them following me.

"Come on, Uncle Daniel!" Linole cried, pulling him round the corner with both her tiny hands.

Daniel rolls his eyes at her, greeting me with a wry wave of his hand, forcefully being pushed to sit on a stool. Linole bounce from him to me, smiling happily with a full-blown grin. Dismissing her, I turn to the mug rack, taking two clean mugs from it as the kettle boils. Daniel says something to Linole, inspiring her to skip out the room and out of the cabin, seeking the present in Daniel's trunk.

Dumping each mug with ingredients, I pour the hot water into each mug, studying Daniel over my shoulder. "What's up, Danny?"

Pulling a hanky out of his pocket, he plucked his glasses off his nose, cleaning the gift of sight while I placed his mug in front of him. "Jacob went missing two weeks ago. He managed to drop by the base to see… Sam"

"He didn't know about it?"

Daniel shook his head, steadily sipping his coffee. "No. General Hammond sat him down and told him. Jacob lost it with everyone, stormed in the control room and order to be sent back to the Tok'ra base. Before he left, he promised me he'd find her for Linole's sake"

Rubbing my hand over my face, the lake catches my attention, something neutral that doesn't concern any aliens or something secretive. An a excited scream comes from outside, both Daniel and I look towards the front door, watching Linole run in, cradling something in her arms. Bouncing into the kitchen with her new treasure, she holds it up to me, biting at her lower lip.

Picking her up, I place her on my knee, letting her show me the new toy. "Look, Jack! It's the doll I saw on TV!"

"It's… girlie!"

She hits me with the package doll, sliding off my knee, running off to her bedroom. Covering my face with my hands, I hope she doesn't expect me to play 'Tea' again, sitting round a table of cuddle toys, pretending to drink tea. Can't she play 'Coffee'?

**************************************************************

Month Later

Pulling up into the drive way of my mum's house, I can see my cousin kids playing in the back garden, happily laughing and screeching when the water hits them. Getting out of my truck, I open the door behind mine, letting my own swing shut. The journey had bored her, drifting off to sleep about quarter of the way through our journey. Unfastening her seat belt, collecting her into my good arm, I pull her free of the comfort of the back seat, kicking the door shut with my foot. Moving round the rear of the truck, I drape her arms over my shoulders, shifting her up slightly when she started slipping.

Grasping the handles of our bags, removing them from the front seat through the window, I start up the short journey, struggling with the bags and the pain in my right shoulder. Managing to get the bags into my other hand, I knock on the door, switching the bags back to the other hand. Through the curtain net window, I could see a figure coming from the kitchen, wiping their hands on something.

The door opened to reveal my mother, a lot greyer than the last time I saw her. "Jack! Come in. Come in. Come in. Here give me those bags"

Holding them out to her, I shift Linole on my arm, stepping into the large hallway, shutting the door behind me. Voices come from the kitchen and the dining room, laughing and chatting away. Following my mum through into the living room, I see some man sat on the rug in front of the fire, playing with a baby.

Flicking some of her blonde hair out of my face, I stop in the threshold of the dining room, the table mostly surrounded by woman. My sister, Kate, sat at the head of the table with Nora, our cousin from New York, sat beside her. Most of the women, round the table, were cousins from different states and from Ireland itself. The men were probably hiding in the garden with the kids.

Kate gets out of her chair, joining me between the dining room and the living room, pulling me into a half hug. "Jack, it's so good to see you. Who's this?"

Wiping her hair from her face, I show her beautiful face to Kate. "This is Linole"

Her eyebrows rose at me, taking the youngster from me. "I'll go put her down on your bed. Get yourself a drink, and then I wanna hear about Linole"

Watching her disappeared with my sleeping beauty; I glanced round the table finding my weird cousins smiling at me. Weakly smiling at them, I escape through the saloon type doors, finding my mum and dad, stood in the same room being civil to each other. Since the divorce, they've kept things civil between them, but some times they get a little over heated, resulting in everyone evacuating the premises.

"Dad"

He looked at me, swigging at his beer, leaning on the sink next to my mum. "Jack. How ya doin' son?"

Rocking my hand side to side at him, I open the fridge, taking a beer out for myself. "Same old, same old, dad. You?"

"Good. Heard from Harry the other day, he's going racing at some cross country thing, wanted to know if you wanna go?"

Shaking my head, I twist the lid off my beer, about to answer him when my mother butted in. "He can't be doing any insane things at his age, and now he's got a little girl to look after"

Gulping down some of my beer, I hopped up onto the counter beside them, frowning at the two of them, gossiping over Linole. Wiping at my chin, Kate comes into the kitchen, shoving her hands into the back of her jeans. Tossing her hair over her shoulder with a flick of her head, she gets on the counter next me, knocking her knee into mine.

"So…" She waves her hand at me, both my parents turning to face me. "Who's Linole? And what sane woman would let you have her child?"

Placing my beer on the windowsill behind me, I wipe my hands down my jeans. "Linole's the daughter of a friend, who's… missing in action at the moment. I've taken Linole on till her mother's found or until they announce her dead, then I don't know"

My dad had a confused look to him. "A single parent soldier, lost behind enemy lines and you're looking after his kid while this guy…"

"No, no. Her mother is the soldier, missing in action. No one apart from her knows who the father is really. Anyway, were not here to talk about her" Dropping off the counter, snatching my beer from the windowsill, I move to leave the room, pausing in the doorway. "Oh, Linole doesn't really know much about her mum. She thinks she's working away somewhere"

The three of them nodded their heads, my dad looks to my mum for an explanation, that man can be so dense. Leaving the room into the hallway, I hear footsteps behind me, rounding the banister to go upstairs. Her hand stops me moving, holding it firmly on the banister.

"Jack, you've gotta tell me more about this?" Kate said, always wanting to know what went on in her brother's secret life.

Nodding my head at her, I start up the stairs, sipping at my beer, wanting nothing more than to join the other woman in my life in the land of nod. Just got to find my bedroom, get her settled into bed properly and crash out on the floor.

**************************************************************

The feet pounding, on the floorboards, woke me from my dream, of Carter and me watching Linole in front of the fireplace. Opening an eye, I saw her toy waving around next to me, her hands leading to the weight leaning against me. Rubbing at my eyes with the blanket, I slowly sat up, watchful of her encase I knocked her over. She shifted away slightly, giggling when the blanket slipped from over my head, causing a moments blindness from the sunlight. Folding my legs up underneath the blanket, I looked round to find her things everywhere, the curtains wide letting the daylight seep in.

Slouching slightly, I looked at the little troublemaker, grinning at me with Carter's smile. Scratching the top of my head, I started to get to my feet, stretching my arms and my back. Pulling my jogging bottoms up, I turned round to find her stood behind me, wash bag in hand, reaching up to me. Stooping down to pick her up, I took the wash bag from her, standing back up to my normal height. Ambling over to the door, I felt her fingers tracing the scars on my oppose shoulder to her. I hated it when she did it; I tried to ignore the butchery as much as possible.

Exiting our room into the hallway, the house sounded quieter than I was used to hearing this house. Years of growing up there, never was there a quiet moment, or a moment to have as your own. I'm glad were on the top floor, of the three storey building, a bathroom all to ourselves and to whoever occupies the other bedroom. Padding down the carpeted landing, I check the door to see if it was lock before opening it, finding the room empty. Putting her down on the tiled floor, I shut the door behind me, putting the wash bag on the counter next to the sink.

"Okay, you get in the shower, while I pop back and get your bathrobe" I said, turning on the shower, checking to see if it weren't to hot for her.

Closing the door behind me, I hurried back into our room, searching through our bag for her robe. Finding the desired object, I race back to the bathroom, opening the door to see her behind the curtain. Shutting and locking the door, I drape her robe over the towel rack, listening to her try and sing. A thing she started doing, when she heard me doing it in the shower one morning.

Picking up her forgotten clothes, I fold them and put them in a pile, ready to take back to our room. Finding the wash bag already open, I select my razor from the bag, opening the cupboard above the sink, to find a fresh can of shaving cream. Popping the lid off with one hand, I squirt some into my hand, plastering my face in it. The shower turns off, her grunts coming from behind the curtain as she tried to turn it off. Leaving my own preparations for the day, I cross the bathroom to the towel rack, taking a towel from it.

She pulled the curtain back slightly; while I put the lid down on the toilet and sat down, holding the towel up, ready to dry her. Shivering at the change in temperature, she engulfed herself into the warm towel, letting me wrap it round her snugly. Reaching up for her robe, I helped her put it on, doing our usual morning routine.

"You go get dry in our bedroom, I'll be along in a minute. Put your pink shorts and the t-shirt with the… pinkie hearts on"

Nodding her head, she unlocked the door, letting a cool rush of air enter the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. Locking the door behind her, I returned over to the sink, turning on the cold water, plugging the hole up with the plug. Holding my razor under the water, I dragged it down the side of my face, smiling at our morning routine. I wonder what sort of routine I would've had, if I were with Carter and Linole was our daughter. The morning rush to get Carter ready for work, getting Linole ready to go to pre-school.

Washing the razor off in the pool of water, I pulled the plug, dropping the razor into the wash bag. Pushing down my jogging bottoms, balancing on one leg while I turned the shower on, letting it get a little hotter than Linole had it. Leaving my clothing on the floor, I stepped under the heat, pulling the curtain back even though I was alone. When I finished my shower, I wrapped a towel round my waist, collecting Linole's and my own clothing and the wash bag, I left the bathroom for my room.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, she watch whatever kids show she had on, ignoring me when I dumped our clothes on the bed. Walking round the bed, I pick the forgotten towel from the floor and her robe, sitting down beside her on the bed. Feeling her long damp hair, I shook my head at her, dumping the towel over her head, viciously rubbing at her hair to dry it. I wish Carter were here.

**************************************************************

Watching Linole play with the other kids, I smile at her laughing face, running round the garden from the other kids, winning so far in their little game. A plastic chair was set down beside me, where I'd been distancing myself from the weird cousins and their other half's. Kate came into view, holding another beer out to me, taking the plastic seat. Finishing off the remains of my beer, I placed the empty bottle on the ground, next to the leg of my chair.

Resting her feet in a mirror image of my own feet, on the brick wall separating the garden from the patio, she sipped at her beer, joining me at watching the kids. "Time to spill, Jack"

Leaning forward, I placed the beer on the wall, scratching at my leg for something to do. "I've been working at a research for facility, doing… research on something. On my… team of researchers, I became friends with a Major Samantha Carter, as well as Dr Daniel Jackson and Dr Teal'c Murray. A few months ago, Carter was… shipped out to help with this on going thing in Iraq"

"So, how come you've got Linole? Shouldn't her father be taking care of her?" Kate asked, placing her beer down on the ground.

"I don't know much about her father, just he doesn't want to take her or have anything to do with her. His names like Damon or Derrick or Darren. Something like that. The reason, I've got Linole, is because no one else was able to take her. The others, Daniel, Teal'c and Doc Fraiser, couldn't take her because of their work hours. I could take her because I don't really work, just sign some sheets of paper each month, design lesson plans and evaluate recruits each year. Air Force doesn't have much used for me and my stupid shoulder." I said, indicating my shoulder to her.

Leaning forwards for my beer, she asked me another question. "What happened to your shoulder?"

Rubbing the palm of my hand into my eye, washing the dryness away from my mouth, I placed my beer down beside hers. "I was in an accident. Weaken the muscles and that in my shoulder and damaged the spatula or scapula. Sometimes I can't used it or it gives way on me"

She nodded her head, looking up at the house when someone called our names. Shielding my eyes from the sun, I looked up to see dad, his head sticking out of the study's window. "Kate, where did ya mother put my bag of goodies?"

"Check the closet under the stairs" She shouted up before the window closed. Turning back to me, she leaned onto the arm of the chair, her chin supported by her hand. "So, bro. Anyone new in your life?"

Chuckling at her, I reach down for my beer. "Not really. No one, I could have in this lifetime. You?"

The snort from her told me, two of the four O'Neill clan children, on our side of the family, were still happily single and still able to be put under the wrath of our mother. I'm glad Rob and James couldn't come, I prefer Kate to both of them, she's easier to talk to. And she was born when I had some money in my pocket, so I was able to win her over with toys and treats.

Our father's cries from the house, told us he was still looking for his bag of goodies, making a scene for a bag of humbugs. Rolling her eyes, Kate collected her beer and went inside, leaving me to supervise the kids. Sitting back into my seat, resting my feet back onto the wall, I watch the kids playing tag, Linole smiling my Carter smile for me without her knowing.

**************************************************************

Three Weeks Later

Lying out stretch on the couch, I watch the game while Linole's asleep in bed, having a moment to myself and not having to think about her. The game isn't that positive to watch, reason for being so, my team's losing and the other team's winning. Getting up from the couch, I throw the remote over my shoulder, heading towards the kitchen. Opening the fridge, I stop to look at Linole's pictures, one of what's suppose to be me and one of me, her and Carter outside, Linole's interpretation to the cabin. Didn't know the cabin had a second storey.

Chuckling at the pictures, I take out what I thought was a beer, finding it to be one of her juice drinks things she likes. Exchanging it for a beer, I push the door shut when the phone rings. Diving for the phone, I hope it hasn't woken her.

"O'Neill" I said down the phone, taking the cordless phone with me, to check on her.

Opening the door slightly, I see her soundly sleeping, when the other person answers me back. "Jack, it's Daniel"

Closing the door, I smile even though he's not there. "Hey, Danny. What can I do for you?"

"Nothing. But… we found her. No, erm… Jacob found her and brought her back. She's lying in the infirmary, a little batter but still our Sam. She's alive Jack, alive"

The unopened beer slipped from my fingers, smashing on the floor at my feet, some of the small shards embedded themselves into my feet. I hear a cry from Linole's room, telling me she was now a wake while Daniel questioned me down the phone, worrying what the noise was.

Holding the phone firmly to my ear, I look down at the smashed bottle, finding my voice. "She's alive?"

From the sound of it, Daniel's lips were curved, looking round at whoever was in the room with him. "Yeah, Jack. She's alive. For a while she woke up, wanted to know where Linole was"

Stepping back from the puddle of glass and beer, I winced at the pain in my foot. "I'll… bring her home. Carter still lives where she lived, right?"

"Yeah, give me a ring when you reach Colorado and I'll meet you there"

"Sure" I was going to hang up after that but something stopped me. "Danny, tell her I've been thinking about her"

"I will, Jack. See ya tomorrow"

Ending the call, I slid the phone on the shelf behind me, watching the blood seep out of my cuts. Linole's bedroom door opened, She made a move to come out of her bedroom, but with a stern hand I block her entrance to the hallway.

"Stay there, there's glass on the floor"

Sleepily she wiped at her eyes. "What's going on?"

Smiling at her, I crouched down with some discomfort to myself. "Ya mum's back"

Her eyes widen at the surprise, jumping into my arms in one movement, standing on my feet, unknowingly pushing the glass into my foot. Bouncing back into her room, she shut her door; hopefully going back to bed wouldn't take her long. Standing up, I hobbled to the bathroom, thinking of her in the infirmary while I fished the first aid kit out, from underneath the sink. It brought a smile to my lips but also sadden me, knowing Linole would want to go back to Carter. The short time together, meaning more to me than she'd ever know.

**************************************************************

Spending the night on Carter's sofa, had done nothing for my back and shoulder, the damn thing complain when I did anything now. The pain killers weren't working like I knew they wouldn't, over the years I think I've worked up some kind of resistance to them, had enough painkillers to do it. Linole hardly slept until she physically fell asleep, in middle of whatever she was doing. One minute, she'd be playing with her toys, the next she'd be face first into the rug. But at least today, she'd gotten a full night rest, ready and prep to see her mom.

Travelling down in the second elevator after signing in, I stand at the back of the elevator, distancing myself from the rest of them. Listening to them tell Linole that Carter's been hurt, but will get better soon after she's seen her. Linole seemed a little frighten, more than once she'd reached out to me, but I ignored her. I had to if I was going to be able to walk away, give her back to her mum, back to Carter. It felt like Charlie had died all over again, my heart being rip from my chest, beating for joy now I knew Carter was safe.

The doors opened, the familiar smell hit while Teal'c and Daniel left the elevator, tugging Linole along. She kept looking back at me, watching me slowly come out of the elevator before the door's closed, following them at a snail's pace down the corridor. I know if I go in there, it'll just break me to see both of them together, so going at this pace, it draws the evitable out.

Following the green line with my eyes and my feet, I approached the infirmary, hearing Linole giggling with several adults' laughter joining her. Crossing the doorway, I run a hand through my hair, looking elsewhere but at the mother holding her child in her arms. Something shiny on the side draws my attention away from them, picking it up I inspect it, turning it round to get a different perspective.

Someone touches my bad shoulder, making me winced and push the person away. Looking at the petite woman beside me, she gives me her doctor's look. "What's wrong with your shoulder?"

Switching sides, making my shoulder further from her reach, I shake my head at her. "Nothing"

Glancing to Teal'c over her shoulder, the taller man joins us, pulling me over to a bed by my shirt. Rolling my eyes, I watch her pull on some gloves that make pretty good balloons, hearing Linole ask what's wrong with me. Doc starts unbuttoning my shirt, pulling it back from my bad shoulder, unconsciously wincing like everyone does when they see my shoulder. Probing at my shoulder, I find it funny that Carter's reunion has turned into my check up.

"Sir, have you been to see your doctor lately?" She said, going off to get something.

Pulling my shirt back on properly, I find myself assaulted by Linole, protectively hanging onto my leg. "No, not of late"

Writing something down on a notepad, she came back to the bed. "I want to send you for an X-ray. I think one of the pins in your shoulder has dislodged itself. Have you been doing anything strenuous with your shoulder?"

"Oh, nothing really. If carrying this thing around for the passed five months is strenuous." I said, motioning to Linole with my head.

Her head shook at me, calling one of the nurses over, pulling me with her from the bed. I hadn't even seen Carter or spoken to her, yet some nurse was pulling me down the hallway, Linole calling after me. I gave her a wave, disappearing round a corner with the nurse, heading towards the X-ray room.

**************************************************************

Two Weeks Later

Sitting in the hospital bed, my new shoulder strapped to my chest, while the skin heals and anything else they reasoned for me being there. Surfing through the channels, I get quickly bored, seeing the same five channel's, waiting for the nurse to come in and plug the cable lead back in. Throwing the control box to between my legs, I shift to look out the window, looking out onto the city from the fourth floor. The view's actually better than the last room I'd had on my previous stay, able to see a spectacular sunset in the evenings.

Doc says I should be out of here in a day or two, letting me return to a cabin that wasn't the same; she'd made her mark on it now. How was I supposed to live with out her? Got to remember to send the rest of her things to Carter's house, redecorate the room from the girlie bedroom to something I can use again. Not that I want to destroy the memory of her being there, its just going to hurt, not seeing her sleeping in the morning from the doorway. She sleeps a lot like Carter, quietly snoring into her pillow, hugging anything she can get her hand on, giving it a death grip to remember.

The door opened gaining my attention, Daniel came in followed by Teal'c, carrying a fruit basket; identical to the one they'd brought yesterday and the day before that. Teal'c places the fruit basket beside the one from yesterday, taking whatever uneaten fruit from the other, devouring it while he sat down in one of the chairs. Daniel places a bag on the end of the bed, taking a book out of it, to put on my table across my legs.

Reaching for the book, I looked at the back and then the front, finding it to be about the history of hockey. "Thanks, Danny"

Placing the book on top of the pile in my cupboard, I close the door with some help from Teal'c, shifting the pillows up my back. Daniel moves a chair from the corner next to my bed, sitting down in it while he leant on the edge of my bed.

"How's the shoulder?"

Glancing at the bandages on my shoulder, I pull a face at it, wondering what awful scar I was left with this time. "Not too bad, but they're keeping me high as a kite" Lifting my free arm, I show him the IV drip. "The thing that's being a pain is that stupid TV. Can't even get cable in here"

"Oh, now we can't have this. Can we Linole?"

My headshot to the doorway, she stood there holding the door open, a plaster on her forehead. Her left hand was bandage up, but she held the door open with it, waiting for Linole to come in with whatever she was carrying. The small figure came in, carrying what looked to be a cake box, struggling when she came to put it on the table over my bed. Daniel moved quickly, saving the cake and Linole's disappointment, putting it safely in the middle of the table.

Carter let the door shut, hobbling to the end of bed, smiling the best thing I've seen in some time. I find now that Linole's smiles, couldn't quite match her mum's, seeing it in person for the first time in a while. Linole climbed up onto the bed, sitting sideways on my lap, hugging me round my neck. Placing a kiss on my cheek, she scooted back off the bed, climbing onto Teal'c's knee while he stuff his face with grapes.

Daniel and Carter looked at each other, a conversation going on just with their eyes, in a matter of minutes. Daniel pushed his glasses up his nose, vacating the seat beside my bed, collecting the bag from the foot of my bed as he rounded it, taking Linole from Teal'c, whispering something into the man's ear. They both left with Linole's protests, coming into the room until the door shut.

Gingerly I pulled the sheet up slightly, looking from the foot of my bed to her, taking Daniel's seat beside me. "I'd like to thank you" She said, once she settled into the seat. "Daniel and Janet told me, you've taken brilliant care of Linole for me. Thanks"

Scratching at my eyebrow, I peep round my hand at her. "It was a pleasure. She didn't need much caring for anyway. Good as gold she's been, hasn't caused me any problems"

"I'm also sorry, you should never have had to take her. And I'm sorry that I never told you about her. I did mean to, but… the time was never right and I hardly saw you"

Resting my hand on her shoulder, I drew her attention to me. "You don't need to apology or thank me, it was the honourable thing for me to do. I'm glad I was able to do something for you"

She chuckled at me, while I retracted my hand. "Well, you've done something to my daughter. For some reason, she's trance fix by hockey. She wants to go fishing with her grandpa, something she weren't interested in before. She's using your mannerisms and sings in the shower"

Shrugging one shoulder at her, I smile at her. "Women are affected by me"

"Tell me about it"

The room fell into silence, I was unsure how I should react to it, it turned me into the shy boy I was when I was ten. Fiddling with my bandages, I watched through the corner of my eye, feeling and seeing her fiddling with blanket. Someone opened the door; Daniel's head pop round, smiling at us.

"Sorry, Jack. The General called Sam, your father's come to see how you're doing. He's waiting at the base for you to pick him up"

She nodded her head getting out of her chair, limping to the door Daniel held open for her. Daniel slipped out into the corridor, leaving Carter to close the door by her self.

"Carter" She stopped, holding the door slightly open. "When I get through my rehabilitation again. How about if I can give ya a piggyback, you and Linole come and visit me?"

Her smile became infectious, stealing a moment to check the corridor; she leant onto the door, bringing herself more into the room. "It's a deal, but if you can't. You've got to take me out for dinner"

Nodding my head at her, I sigh watching her close the door, not feeling any pain in watching her leave, the knowledge I'll see her again makes it better. Although with the amount of painkillers they're plugged into me, it could cure any pain. Remembering the box on the table, I pull it closure to me, lifting the lid on the box. I smile at the Simpsons cake; the words 'Get Well Soon, Jack' are touching to me. Pressing the call button on the remote, sat on my side table, I wait for the nurse to come, smiling down at the cake.

**************************************************************

The End