samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's note- Thanks Vicky! And NO they don't die.


A simple touch brought him back to the conscious world. A simple touch told her he was awake.

The air was crisp and depleting, sucking the room dry of all moisture and permeating the tightest of enclosures around the entwined couple. What little light there was, cascaded around their exposed skin highlighting the bruises and scrapes on their faces; shadowing their weary looks of exhaustion, uncertainty, fear and exposing them just enough to betray their inward thoughts and feelings as they watched each other and wondered if this was their last moments alive.

Sheltered against the elements within the secluded fissure they held onto each other with all the strength they had left. They knew time was running short that this could be their last hour together, in this place, on this planet. Losing themselves within the moment and exploring the possibilities of what if, they faced their last minutes of life and they faced their feelings as they listened to the running sound of a breeze coursing its way through the cavern.

It was nice to be held by her. He felt secure and safe in her arms. The strength of her embrace gave him determination to hold on for a little while longer. Maybe, just maybe, things would change. If for no other reason he was determined to hold on for her.

It was nice to be held by him. She felt safe and secure in his embrace. She could feel the determination he so resolutely held onto when ever he was in her presence. She could feel the courage and strength he projected. She knew it was his gift to her as they faced the end together.

He could feel the curve of her even with the layers of clothing between them. He could feel the roundness of her form and the inner strength she herself projected. He could feel her soft breath against his neck and he could feel her hands caressing his chest ever so softly so as not to disturb his injuries. Even though his senses were slowly becoming numb he could feel her and he could feel his own blood heat at the thought of her in his embrace.

She could feel the curve of his body move under her. She could feel his strong hands hold her in place against his side. She could feel his breath softly move her hair as she watched his face change at the feel of her in his arms. She could see the passion that momentarily arose within his eyes but faded quickly as his body was too weak. She watched his internal struggle and began an internal struggle of her own.

He felt a sudden breath upon his cheek as she moved. She moved slowly but deliberately to hide her momentary awareness that she felt something new for him. He watched her eyes close, aware that she was feeling something, something changing, something different, and then realized that he too was feeling something new.

She felt a sudden breath on her forehead as he slowly turned his face away. He closed his eyes and tried to hide his own newly revealed feelings. She watched his face and almost reached out to touch it, but she kept her hand where it was resting on his chest and refocused her attention to his eyes. She began to wonder about the future. Could it be a future filled with passionate nights and a future where he became her security and her reason for living?

He watched her contemplating the future. It was reflected deeply within her eyes. He watched with silent longing, wishing that he could make this nightmare they were in disappear and that he could save her from this freezing hell. He watched her and wished they had more time. And then, he too, began to contemplate the future. It was a future where he held her in his arms and one where there was a family once again standing by his side.

Breathing deeply she watched him with his thoughts longing for them to be revealed. But with realization and in silent desperation she instead tried to hold back tears that were starting to surface. The ones that she knew would only cause him grief and pain if he saw them, the ones that would cause her grief and pain for exposing them. She held back her internal torment knowing the pain he was in. And she held back her emotions as they changed from something that was more than concern into something she could never admit.

Not wanting to say anything. He watched her watch him. He could almost read her mind and in his study of her eyes, her nose, her lips, her chin, he watched her try to conceal her tears, he watched her try to conceal the pain, and he watched her emotions change from that of concern into something more. He watched her and silently wished she would let go.

She watched him watch her. Not wanting to say anything. She could almost read his mind as she studied his eyes, his skin, the curve of his cheek, and the little scar on his eyebrow. She witnessed his internal confessions of feeling more than he was supposed to. She witnessed his silent longing for her to let go of her fears and the tears she was trying so desperately to conceal from him. She could only blink softly to acknowledge his internal wish as she held him just a little tighter and kept her eyes affixed to his.

He brushed a kiss across her forehead knowing he could no longer fight his internal darkness. He had become too weak. Closing his eyes he silently whispered his final inmost thought.

She too, surrendered to the last vestiges of her own internal darkness, brushing a kiss across his cheek she finally let go.

In solitude and silent seclusion they accepted the inevitable as they faced their deaths, faced their fears, and faced each other and the future of possibilities and beginnings that would never be. In solitude they said goodbye, and embraced by a moment they silently confessed their love.