samandjack.net

Story Notes: Authors Note: This came about as part of a discussion on the SJ group. How did Sam manage to stand up in the machine whilst she was being healed? Now, I know that it was probably actually the machine holding her up, and that is mentioned in this story. You’ll have to read it to understand the point of it!!! J Feedback would be loved!! This one is with many thanks to Claire, Denise and Sam for the episode information!!

Date: 17/1/2003


“Hurry, while there is still time.”

Egar’s words play in my head as I run alongside Woden back to the cells.

My one and only goal right now is to get back to Carter, and fast.

I slow my approach slightly as we reach the cells; Woden stops so he can open them. I pause for a second to check that Jonas and Teal’c are OK, then jog around the side to our cell.

Ducking underneath the bars, I think my worst nightmare has become reality.

Carter is still.

Perfectly still.

I get to her side.

‘Sir.’

Relief courses through me in floods.

She called out to me as a statement, not a question.

Her voice tells me that it’s not long to go. That I have to hurry.

I slip one arm under her shoulder and the other her waist, then lift her as quickly, but as gently as possible.

Then I run.

I don’t remember anything else but the running.

All the way back to Nirti’s lab rat room.

Jonas, Teal’c and Woden are a few seconds behind, and arrive as I’m trying to put Carter on the podium thing.

“Oh for crying out loud…” I mutter under my breath.

Carter, or rather, Carter’s body, was NOT cooperating. No matter how much I tried to snap her out of it, she just wouldn’t stand up.

“Come on Carter!” I practically yelled in her face.

I hear her groan quietly.

“Sir…where…?”

She loses the strength to speak once more.

“Carter, listen to me,” I say firmly, holding her up with one arm and using the other to turn her face to look at me.

“I need you to stand up here on your own, OK. Egar has all the knowledge to heal you, but we can’t do that if you can’t stand up. Do you understand?”

Her eyes roll around in the back of her head for a moment and I fear that she’s going to pass out entirely. Suddenly the weight in my arms lessens, and I see those incredible eyes open up to me.

“Yes sir,” she says weakly in answer to my last question.

I smile at her in amazement. Her strength never ceases to amaze me. I release my hold on her waist slowly, allowing her to get used to standing alone. My other hand is still holding her cheek to face me. I rub my thumb gently on her skin which is clammy and sweaty to touch, but that doesn’t bother me in the least. Well…. it does.

Sense comes back to me and I realise that any second now she could be done.

I give her one last reassuring smile, and the step down away from her completely.

She leans over slightly, but after a few seconds stands up straight again.

I release the breath I was unaware of holding, then turn to nod to Egar.

Then the procedure begins.

Carter looks at me all the time it’s happening, our eyes remaining connected.

I know in reality that its in fact the machine holding her up, but there’s this little part of me that likes to think that she’s doing it all alone. That she’s standing tall because of the strength she holds deep inside her. That maybe even the connection we are sharing as she goes through the procedure is helping.

But that doesn’t matter.

All that matters is that she’s gonna be alright.



***



That’s it!! I’ve done it!! Finito!! Hope you’ve enjoyed it, and as always…………FEEDBACK me!!! J