samandjack.net



"This one!" exclaimed Dr. Janet Frasier to her friend and colleague Major Samantha Carter. They were in a new chic boutique recently opened in Denver, shopping for suitable dresses for an upcoming SGC party. Janet held out the dress to Sam.

"Go on, try it on," she urged.

"Janet, it's not a dress it's a handkerchief" exclaimed Sam "I couldn't possibly wear that, I'd die of embarrassment."

"Oh go on Sam, the colour's perfect, it will bring out the blue of your eyes, look they have it in your size - it can't hurt just to try it on, now can it?"

"Oh very well, but I tell you now - I am not going to buy it." Sam insisted, carrying the scrap of sea blue fabric that purported to be a dress, over to the changing rooms.

A few minutes later Janet heard Sam calling to her.

"Jan, come and look?"

"Why don't you come out here?"

"Not on your life, this dress is indecent."

Janet laughed and crossed to the changing cubicle.

"Okay - it's me Sam" she said drawing back the curtain "...Wow"

Sam giggled.

"Sam you look fabulous, it's definitely you."

"It most definitely is not me - I'm more the comfy 'girl next door' style - not red hot sex vamp."

The dress was indeed very skimpy. It was simple and quite plain but made of some stretchy fabric that moulded itself to Sam's body like a second skin, so moulded in fact that there was scarcely room for underwear. It was cut low front and back, with thin 'spaghetti' straps.

Janet grinned wolfishly at her friend "Well maybe it's about time you let a certain someone see a different side of yourself."

"Janet... don't" Sam pleaded, but her eyes were dancing and she grinned, "can't help wondering though can you?" They both giggled.

"So - are you going to buy it? You should 'cause if you don't you'll only regret it."

"Wow - have you seen the price, Jan? It's obviously inversely proportional to the amount of fabric." They laughed again. "But you know, I am going to buy it - though whether or not I'll have the nerve to wear it is another thing entirely."

Sam quickly changed and took the dress across to the assistant.

"Thank you Ma'am - did you know that there is a co-ordinating overdress to match?"

"No, I didn't" said Sam.

"Follow me, I'll show you - it's really lovely."

The two women followed the assistant. She pulled out a filmy overdress in a colour that immediately appealed to Sam.

"Oh, it's gorgeous" she breathed, "What do you think Jan?"

"It's beautiful - the colour remind you of anything?"

Sam nodded, for the overdress was the exact colour of the event horizon and it shimmered in the light, just like the active stargate. Sam knew that she just 'had' to have the outfit despite the fact that it was outrageously expensive and that she might not be courageous enough to actually wear it.

Leaving the store, flushed with the feeling you get after a successful purchase, Sam declared that she now needed shoes to complete the ensemble. So after a restorative coffee, they continued shopping. Fortunately Sam soon found what she wanted - a pair of strappy sandals in the exact colour of the dress, with ridiculously high heels - perfect. After finding a gorgeous little red number for Janet that Sam reckoned might even open the eyes of a certain archaeologist friend of theirs, they made their happy and exhausted way back to Colorado Springs.

The party, organised at General Hammond's instigation, was for SGC personnel only, with the addition of a few specially invited guests from elsewhere. Sam was hoping that her father would be able to join them, and Major Davis from the Pentagon among others. The General had hinted at the possibility of a VIP attending, but wasn't giving away any details.

The reason for the party was to celebrate another very successful year for the SGC. A 'thank you' if you like to all the people who, every day, risked their lives on a project that the American people knew nothing of, but was essential to their survival. It was to be a semi-casual affair - dressing up was definitely required - but both uniforms and ranks were to be left behind at the direct order of the General. The idea was that everyone could 'let his or her hair down' - just a little.

**************************

Colonel Jack O'Neill normally hated parties - he always felt that he was on the sidelines watching others enjoy themselves. 'I guess I just find it hard to lose my inhibitions and join in' he thought to himself. The upcoming SGC party though had everyone in a buzz and he decided to make a determined effort to 'chill out'. Normally he hid his shy nature with a sarcastic jokey persona so not many people ever glimpsed the 'real' Jack O'Neill - except perhaps one. He sighed to himself thinking of her, unattainable as ever. Still maybe at the party he'd get to dance with her. After all no one would think there was anything untoward with a CO dancing with his 2IC - would they? And there was that memo from Hammond about leaving ranks at the door. Jack allowed himself to daydream about dancing with Sam Carter, just the thought of holding her in his arms was almost more than he could bear - 'Better take a cold shower O'Neill' he told himself.

***************************

On the day of the party Sam and Janet decided to leave the mountain earlier than usual, as did almost all of their colleagues. There were no teams away off-world and only a skeleton security staff was needed to man the lower levels of Stargate Command. The party was to be held in the ballroom of a top Colorado Springs hotel. The fact that it was away from the mountain would, Hammond felt, make it more of a special occasion. There was to be a catered buffet, a bar and a disco for dancing.

The girls had decided to get ready at Janet's house, mainly because of insistent pleading from Cassie to be able to see them 'dressed to the nines'. They were both a little excited and admitted that they were looking forward to the reactions of their male companions when they made their entrance.

Daniel had asked several pointed enquiries about what they were going to wear but had only been told 'wait and see ' by Sam and 'be prepared to be amazed' by Janet, who couldn't resist teasing Daniel.

"Sam" called Janet, tapping on the guest bedroom door, "are you decent?"

"Sure Jan, come in," replied Sam.

"Wow Sam, you look amazing - turn around, let me see."

Sam did a little twirl. As she did so, the naquada blue overdress shimmered and swirled giving tantalising glimpses of the figure hugging sea blue dress beneath. The combination brought out the blue of Sam's eyes; they sparkled with delight as Janet appraised her.

"You don't think it's a bit too much," asked Sam, doubt in her voice.

"Too much!" Janet squeaked "don't you mean too little? - Sam you look gorgeous, you'll have all the guys falling at your feet."

"Well I think you look fabulous too, that red really suits you - can't wait to see Daniel's reaction."

"Sam..." Janet warned her friend, giving her a stern look, and then they both dissolved into a fit of giggles. They felt like a couple of silly teenagers instead of a couple of thirtysomethings.

"C'mon Sam, let's go parade before Cassie."

Janet's teenage daughter was knocked out by her 'mom' and 'aunt'.

"Don't forget you two," she said "I want all the details later."

"Well young lady, I expect you to be asleep when we get home, but Sam's staying the night here so you can have all the gossip at breakfast."

The doorbell rang. "Ah that'll be our cab, Sam will you get the door while I get my purse?"

"Sure" Sam went to the door and opened it. The expression on the cab driver's face was priceless as he took in Sam's outfit.

"Er..." Was all he said, and then pointed back to the car parked at the kerb.

"We'll be right along" she assured him, stifling a grin.

Soon they were on their way to the hotel, full of anticipation at what the evening might hold.

The girls left their coats in the cloakroom and checked each other over.

"Okay, we'll do" said Janet, finally. "Actually Sam, with the overdress you look almost ...er"

"Respectable?" finished Sam. They both laughed and, arm in arm, left for the ballroom. They were deliberately a little late and it looked as if almost everyone else had already arrived. Janet had been insistent that they should make the most of their entrance.

The doorman accepted their invitations and opened the doors for them. They stood on the threshold both suddenly gripped by nerves. The room was full of chattering, drinking, laughing people. 'C'mon Sam' she told herself 'these are all your friends, there's nothing to be embarrassed about - you're looking good - just smile.'

She felt Janet squeeze her arm as they entered the crowded room. As they ventured further into the room looking for the familiar faces of their team -mates they were aware of a number of admiring glances straying their way.

After scanning the crowd, Janet suddenly said "Ah, over there," she pointed, "I can see Teal'c."

As they neared their friends Janet caught Teal'c's eye - he gave an unaccustomed broad grin as he spied his two favourite female SGC members and leaned across to murmur something to Daniel Jackson, who was deep in conversation with Major Davis, and had his back to the two women. At Teal'c's words both men turned in their direction.

"Wow, wow, wow" murmured Davis, whilst Daniel was a picture, literally standing with his mouth open, unable to speak.

"Well good evening to you too Daniel" said Janet sharply "have we grown extra heads or something? She teased.

"Janet...s...sorry - you look... well...just amazing" he grinned "You too Sam - love the dress."

"Thank you Daniel" replied Sam, pleased to see that her dear friend couldn't take his eyes off Janet.

"Major Davis" she smiled at Daniel's companion.

"Actually it's Paul this evening - no ranks remember...Sam."

She smiled in reply "I'd forgotten - Paul it is."

"Can I get you a drink Sam?" Paul asked her.

"Thanks, I'll have a white wine please. Paul do you know if my father's here yet?"

"There's been a short delay apparently - he'll be arriving soon with General Hammond."

"You mean George," giggled Janet, overhearing their conversation "and where is 'Jack' this evening?" She looked at Daniel for an answer, knowing that it was a question Sam was longing to ask - but was afraid to voice.

"Ah, actually he hasn't arrived yet...Oh! Here he is now".

Janet turned around to see Jack O'Neill threading his way through the crowd, stopping now and then to exchange pleasantries with people along the way. She had to admit that the man dressed up mighty fine.

O'Neill looked up and saw his friends across the room. He gave a small wave to Daniel and grinned when he saw a transformed Janet Frasier. He'd always suspected there was a gorgeous woman under that stern doctor exterior. As he drew closer the crowd parted a little and he could see the tall dark haired figure of Paul Davis; behind him he could just glimpse someone in blue.

As Jack stepped up to the group, Paul moved to one side and suddenly Sam was standing in front of him. She was standing so close - almost close enough to touch - and had a gentle, almost shy, smile on her face.

Jack felt his chest constrict. 'Breathe, O'Neill, breathe' he had to tell himself. He couldn't speak, just stood there gawping like some adolescent schoolboy. Sam's smile widened into a grin, she knew exactly what effect she was having on the Colonel, and so did their friends who witnessed the exchange. Both Janet and Daniel were trying to suppress grins and even Teal'c raised an eyebrow.

Finally Sam relented - well just a little.

"Jack" she almost purred his name "is everything okay?"

The sight of her, accompanied by that purred 'Jack' was too much for him, he was robbed of speech, so dumbly shook his head. Finally he managed to stammer "N..no, everything's fine, just...fine. Er...you look...er...nice, Carter."

"Jack, for cryin' out loud" exclaimed Daniel, everyone laughing at the 'O'Neillism' "Nice...NICE...is that all you can say?"

Jack grinned a little sheepishly, "Sorry Sam" he smiled his slow smile, "you look stunning."

Now it was Sam's turn to clam up, she blushed, feeling all her friends' eyes turned her way. Fortunately she was saved by the arrival, just at that moment, of General Hammond and her father aka General Jacob Carter and Tokr'a host to Selmak. With them was another man, the VIP, who, Jack informed them, was one of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. They were all suitably impressed.

General Hammond steered his guests over to SG-1, they were his premier team and he wanted to introduce them individually to the 5 star General. After the formal chat Sam was able to greet her father.

He enveloped her in a hug. "Sammie".

"Hi, Dad - how are you both?"

"Fine, fine - you look very lovely this evening."

"Thanks Dad".

Jacob lowered his head the raised it again, allowing his symbiote, Selmak, to speak.

"Samantha, you look very beautiful, your dress is the colour of the event horizon"

"Yeah, Selmak, thank you, that's what attracted me to it."

Their attention was then drawn to the fact that the buffet and bar were fully open; it was time to enjoy the party.

Sam found herself in the queue for the buffet with Janet, Daniel and Teal'c. She quickly scanned the crowded area for the Colonel. He was talking to her father, Hammond and the other VIP's. She knew that as 2IC of the SGC it was expected of him, but hoped that he'd be able to join them soon.

Strangely, after her initial apprehension, she found that far from feeling embarrassment at wearing, for her, such a daring outfit, she actually felt empowered. She knew that she looked good and it made her feel confident, and not a little excited.

"Penny for them" whispered Janet, noticing Sam's longing looks in Jack O'Neill's direction. Sam shook her head and smiled, a secret, rather sexy smile that Janet had never seen on her friend's face before.

"On second thoughts, don't tell, I'm not sure I'm old enough to know" she laughed as Sam blushed a delicate shade of pink.

"Go for it Sam" Janet said "forget the regs for just one night - after all we're here to party."

"Janet" Sam chuckled "that is such bad advice" she smiled again "but you know I might just..." She busied herself getting some food leaving the sentence unfinished. Janet and Daniel exchanged knowing smiles.

The friends found a table and were soon enjoying the delicious food and drink. O'Neill came to join them, sitting opposite Sam where he could watch her without becoming too obvious.

Some time later the dancing began and both Janet and Sam had a continuous supply of eager partners. Sam danced with her father, Hammond, Daniel, Paul and even Teal'c (he'd been coached by Daniel and proved to be a great mover) but to her chagrin O'Neill made no move to ask her, or indeed anyone to get up on the dance floor. In fact he hardly spoke to anyone, just sat - watching. Wherever Sam was on the dance floor she could feel his eyes on her.

She was becoming quite tired and a little overheated so, after a second dance with Paul, she asked to be taken back to her seat. The table was empty. She was desolate; it appeared that the Colonel had gone.

"Excuse me Sam, would you dance with me?"

She jumped; she hadn't heard him come up behind her. As she turned he was standing so close she was almost in his arms. He put out a hand to steady her.

"You okay?"

She smiled, nodding. "I'd love to dance, I was beginning to think you weren't going to ask me."

"Oh I was just waiting for the others to have their turn" he said quietly "from now on you're mine."

He tugged her hand, as she stood open mouthed. "Coming?" he asked leading out onto the dance floor.

"Just a minute" she loosed his hand and undid the three buttons of the overdress, slipping it off her shoulders - she'd become too warm with it on.

"Ready" she said. His face was a picture as he turned and saw her and gave her a definitely 'wolfish' grin.

On the dance floor a space miraculously seemed to clear around them and, as a slow ballad began to play, Jack took her into his arms. They were both good dancers and soon, their eyes locked only on each other; they felt they were the only couple in the room.

As the music continued Jack pulled her into a close embrace, revelling in the feel of her in his arms. He could feel the heat of her body through the thin fabric of the dress that was moulded to her curves like a second skin. Sam's eyes were closed and her breathing was rapid; she felt control beginning to slip away just as the music stopped.

Jack still held her close, unwilling to relinquish her to anyone else. He rested his forehead on hers, her high heels bringing her only a little short of his six foot two. The music began again and the couples around them began to dance, leaving them stationary on the floor, neither wanting to move and break the spell. Neither spoke.

On the far side of the room stood George Hammond and Jacob Carter watching the pair on the dance floor.

"Well Jacob?" said Hammond meaningfully.

"Jack's a good guy George, a little 'flaky' and maybe a bit old for my little girl" he grinned at his friend "but if that's what she wants..."

"Oh yes, Jacob, I think it's definitely what she wants" he laughed.

"When will you tell them?" asked Jacob.

"Oh I think I'll let them suffer for another hour or so, don't you - makes for interesting entertainment"

"Ha! You old devil" replied Jacob, clapping his friend on the back.

Jack and Sam, meanwhile, had finally shaken themselves out of their daze. Sam smiled up at him, her heart in her eyes.

"Thank you Jack," she whispered, "that was perfect".

To her surprise he kissed her briefly on the forehead, before taking her hand and leading her off the dance floor.

"Oh dancing is one of my many hidden talents" he quipped, attempting to lighten the situation.

"You have more than one?" Sam smiled provocatively.

"Oh, yeah - I'll look forward to sharing them with you some day."

"Can't wait," she said seductively. They both knew she was only half joking.

Jack steered her towards the bar where he got them both drinks and then found them a quiet table at the edge of the room where they could sit and cool down.

Jack openly appraised Sam as she sat down and grinned.

"That dress, Major Carter, is I have to say, totally indecent. There should be some sort of law against anyone looking so good." He chuckled at Sam's expression "But what I really want to know is...what on earth do you have on underneath ...I mean there just isn't room as far as I can see?"

"That's for me to know and you to guess, Sir, besides I thought you might need reminding that there is actually a woman underneath those baggy BDU's."

"Sam that's something that I'll never need reminding of."

Sam blushed. She was having a perfectly wonderful time, but she knew that it couldn't last; this was just a break from reality. After all the regs were still there - she sighed in frustration.

"What's up?" asked Jack concerned.

"Oh, you know..." Sam tried to explain "just thinking about tomorrow - coming back down to earth with a bump."

"Now none of that" admonished Jack "the night is still young and we have to make the most of it - c'mon let's dance again."

At least on the dance floor they could legitimately hold each other even if they were subjected to not a few amused glances. They were both sure that the base would be buzzing with gossip about them the next day - but for once neither of them cared.

They danced for two more songs; the evening was waning and the music was slow. Jack held Sam close, her head on his shoulder eyes closed as they swayed together. He felt her warm breath on his neck - it sent delicious shivers down his spine - he desperately wanted to kiss her but thought that might be taking things a little too far considering who was watching them.

Suddenly Jack became aware of a young airman standing deferentially near them. 'Oh no' thought Jack 'I hope he doesn't want to butt in'. He lifted an enquiring eyebrow inviting the airman to speak.

"Sorry Sir, Colonel. I have a message for you from General Hammond"

'Ah, crap' thought Jack 'please don't spoil things now - you can do whatever you want tomorrow - just let us have tonight.'

"Thank you Airman er...?"

"Adams, Sir, Nick Adams." The young man handed Jack a slip of paper.

"Thank you Nick, does the General require an answer?"

"He said that you'd know what to do Sir." Nick replied cryptically.

Jack released Sam, who looked enquiringly at him. Jack shrugged his shoulders and opened the note.

It read: 'All obstacles removed - you have our blessing' It was signed by the Joint Chief and Hammond.

Jack's jaw dropped. He read the note again watched by an extremely puzzled Sam and Airman Adams. Jack scanned the room until he saw the General who nodded at Jack, giving him a broad grin and a wave.

"Jack?" Sam touched his arm, concerned "What...?"

Before she could complete the sentence Jack wrapped his arms around her and captured her lips with his as he swung her off her feet. They were locked in a passionate embrace, oblivious to everyone standing around watching them in shocked silence. Then someone in the crowd cheered and broke the spell; people began clapping, laughing and cheering the couple on.

Daniel and Janet made their way over to their friends a little anxiously. They both thought that Jack and Sam had gone too far this time. Then Janet noticed the slip of paper that Jack had been clutching as it fluttered out of his grasp. She stooped and picked it up, quickly reading the short message it contained.

"Oh my goodness, Daniel, look at this." She passed him the note.

"Yes!" cried Daniel, punching the air just as Sam and Jack broke apart. Jack had just the biggest grin on his face but Sam was blushing furiously her hands over her cheeks and a look of horror on her face at what she'd just done in such a very public place.

"Sam, it's okay" Jack held her close again "it's okay."

"What...what d'you mean?" she asked, a little breathlessly.

Daniel held out the note. Grinning from ear to ear he handed it to Sam before turning to hug Janet, leaving his arm draped across her shoulders.

Now it was Sam's turn to be transformed by the contents of the note. As she read it her eyes widened and she gave a little gasping laugh, pressing her hands to her mouth. Her eyes scanned the crowd for the General, just as Jack's had done minutes before. Again Hammond nodded confirmation. She turned to her CO.

"Oh Jack" she flung her arms around him and buried her head in his chest, her shoulders heaving.

"Hey, hey" he held her close, "you shouldn't be crying."

The muffled reply came "I'm just so happy, I can't believe it."

Jack held her tenderly, gently ruffling her hair whilst she got herself under control. Music began to play once more and the DJ announced the final dance of the evening. Jack pulled Sam into a close embrace - this time they had no inhibitions. She moulded herself to him, wrapping her arms around his neck and twining her fingers in his hair. They swayed gently to the music, Jacks hands sliding up and down her skimpily clad body sending waves of desire through her.

"Jack" she whispered.

"Mm?"

"Let's go."
He didn't need to be asked again. Taking her hand he led her out of the ballroom, their exit noticed by several interested, amused and not to say downright envious onlookers, including Daniel and Janet.

"Mm" Janet took Daniel's arm "looks like Sam's not staying the night at my place after all."

They shared a special smile and went off to find the rest of their friends.

Next morning Janet was in her kitchen preparing breakfast when Cassie burst into the room, all agog for news of the previous evening.

"Hi mom - how'd it go? Was it fun? Did you dance with Daniel?...Where's Sam?" It all came out in a rush.

"Hi Hon, calm down, I'm feeling a little fragile this morning." Janet smiled at her daughter.

"C'mon, c'mon - tell all," implored Cassie.

"It was wonderful, we all had a great time - Sam's dress knocked 'em dead."

"Is she still asleep - I'll go and wake her."

"No, no Cass - wait." Janet grabbed her arm. "Sam's not here, Hon., she...er, she spent the night somewhere else." Janet couldn't help but suppress a grin as she saw this nugget of information sink in with Cass.

"Oh, my God" the girl squealed "she and Jack?"

Janet nodded.

"Oh, brilliant, that's such good news - I'll definitely have to get all the gossip now."

"Well you could always ask me" came a sleepy male voice from the doorway.

Cassie spun round to find Daniel leaning against the doorjamb looking very pleased with himself. Cassie looked from him back to Janet, who blushed.

"Yaahoo!" Cassie punched the air and began dancing around the room.

Daniel and Janet just smiled.