samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-Mail: Becc_Carter@yahoo.co.nz

CATEGORY: Sam and Jack

SPOILERS: 'emancipation'

CONTENT WARNINGS: language

ARCHIVE: No archiving. I'll send it myself.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Response to the 'American Pie' challenge. Cliché, Cliché, Cliché! I had to do it eventually. BTW Erato was the muse of love poetry sung to the accompaniment of the lyre. Thanx to Angel for the dance suggestion.


Major Samantha Carter stepped through the StarGate and into the alien planet in time to catch the audible sigh that had escaped her CO's lips in front of her. "Sir?" She asked concerned as she moved to stand beside him. O'Neill stood at the bottom of the ramp and gestured at the surrounding landscape, "Tree's, Carter." The concern quickly left Sam's features and was replaced with a small smile, "Lot's of tree's, Sir."

"You would prefer a barren landscape, O'Neill?" Teal'C asked from behind. Daniel stood at his side, behind Sam, quietly surveying the dense forest. "Hey, I have nothing against tree's. Just a few less every now and then would be nice."

"It would, Sir" Sam agreed. "Well, lets go" Jack said almost in defeat and lead his team forward and into the dense forest.

"Daniel," Jack stopped in front of a large tree and called over his shoulder to the archaeologist, "Come 'ere for a sec, will ya?"

"What is it, Jack?" Jack pointed to a lone piece of paper which had been crudely nailed to the tree, "You tell me." Moving closer to the tree, Daniel easily deciphered the language, "It's Greek" he began but was interrupted by Jack before he could continue. "Before you start with regions and times, Stop! All I want to know is what it says." Daniel turned and threw him an innocent look. Turning his attention back to the piece of paper he translated the writing. "_Basically_," Daniel emphasised, "it seems to be advertising a symposium honouring Bacchus." This caught Sam's attention, "A symposium? For Bacchus?" she asked interested, "Really?"

"Woah, woah. A what? For whom?" Jack broke in. "A…………ah…………" Daniel groped for the best words to explain, "A drinking party honouring the god of wine and theatre."

"A wild drunken orgy, Sir." Sam added. Jack and Daniel both turned and looked at Sam in surprise. Teal'C merely raised an eyebrow. "What?", She asked giving all three an 'I'm completely innocent' look. Turning back to Daniel, Jack asked, "Does it happen to say when this symposium will be taking place?"

"No, it doesn't. It simply says 'tonight'"

"I think we can assume that it's tonight"

"Why's that?" Jack asked Sam. "Well, Sir. The ground is damp but this paper shows no signs of being caught in a recent rainstorm."

"So we may be here for the symposium," Daniel said, thinking out loud. "And what better way to learn about a culture then to take part in their celebrations," Sam added. "Have past experiences taught you two nothing?" Jack asked only half joking. Daniel was about to argue when Jack held up his hand to silence him, "I understand where you are both getting at," he told them. Shrugging in defeat he added, "And when in Rome...."

"Jack..." Daniel began. "Ah!" Jack pointed a warning finger at him, "I don't care." Sam and Daniel shared an amused smile. "I feel I must interrupt," Teal'C suddenly spoke up, "There seems to be a clearing up ahead." Jack turned in the direction Teal'C was pointing with his staff weapon, "Sweet!" he exclaimed, "A _clearing_"

O'Neill was the first to reach the edge of the tree-line. "Son of a Bitch!" Sam came up behind him and gasped, "Holy Hannah"

"Oh my…………" Daniel stood with his mouth hanging open. Even Teal'c looked impressed. Before them stood a large stone building which resembled the parthenon. The exterior was painted so brightly it was almost garish. "Damn, that's ugly"

"It's beautiful" Jack and Daniel said in unison. "It's a little of both" Sam smiled at them. Jack nodded and began to carefully make his way down the rocky hillside that lead down to the building. "uh, Jack" Daniel called to halt Jack's decent and then turned to Sam, "How much do you know about Greek symposiums?" Sam was about to answer when the realisation of what Daniel was referring to hit her and she shuddered slightly, "Enough to know there's no way I'm dressing up like a Flute-Girl" This caught Jack's attention and he looked up at them from his position on the hillside, "Flute-Girl?" Sam swallowed, "Paid entertainment, Sir"

"Ah," Jack smirked. Sam threw him a look which quickly wiped the smirk off his face. "Women didn't attend symposiums. Unless they were there for entertainment purposes."

"Although," Daniel added, "There is historical documentation of female-only symposiums"

"_Generally_ women didn't attend" Sam emphasised her discomfort. Daniel was silent for a moment. "Ok, Danny-boy. What's on your mind?" Jack sighed. "According to the notice, this particular symposium is for the god Dionysus."

"I thought you said it was for Barky?" Jack asked confused. "Bacchus. And They're the same deity."

"Two names?"

"Three………actually."

"Well pick _one_ name and stick with it," Jack said exasperated, "And be quick about it because I don't plan to stay in this position all day."

"Anyway," Daniel motioned to Sam and Teal'C and joined Jack in his decent, "Bacchus had a group of female followers known as Bacchantes, or Maenads." Jack turned and raised his eyebrows. "Right, one name." Daniel paused, "Festivals for Bacchus were known to become rather, ah, intense."

"The wild drunken orgy thing?"

"Yes."

"I see."

"The point is, Sir. We really don't know what to expect." Sam informed him. Jack contemplated all four of them returning to base for about two seconds before deciding against it. Instead he turned to Sam, "If you feel uncomfortable and want to..."

"If I feel uncomfortable when we get down there I'll inform you," Sam said, stopping Jack before he could finish, "But right now, Sir, I'd really like to see what's down there." The smile on her face was enough to reassure Jack for now. 'But,' he thought to himself, 'If _I_ find this at all threatening you'll be going back whether you feel it necessary or not.' God knew they didn't need a repeat of past situations.



========



"This is different" Daniel mused out loud as the four walked cautiously through the temple. "How so, DanielJackson?" Teal'c queried. Daniel gestured ahead of them, "There seems to be a smaller temple attached to this one from the rear."

"This is strange because……………?"

"I don't recognise the design of the smaller temple from here."

"Oh" Daniel walked ahead and stopped halfway down the narrow brick path that connected the two buildings. "Follow the yellow brick road" Jack quipped. Sam ignored him, "Daniel?" she asked when she'd caught up. "Can you hear that?" Daniel asked no one in particular. "It is music DanielJackson."

"Modern music."

"Man I dig those rhythm and blues." Jack paused when he noticed the door on the front of the temple, "So do we knock?"

"I…………ah…………" Jack stepped in front of Daniel before he had a chance to answer and banged his fist hard against the wood three times. "Anyone………" The door opened to reveal a teenage girl sporting a war helmet and a heavy white robe. A fake owl sat upon her left shoulder. "home?" The girl smiled brightly at the guests and spoke briefly in her language. Daniel answered her and smiled in return. Gesturing for Jack, Sam and Teal'c to follow, they stepped into the temple and walked a couple of paces behind the girl as she lead them down a long hall. "Psstt, Daniel," Jack hissed into his ear, "What'd she say?"

"She apparently likes out costumes."

"Costumes?" Sam whispered. Jack shrugged. Suddenly two large doors were swung open before them and their senses were assaulted by bright lights and loud music. "We _really_ didn't know what to expect." Sam murmured in shock. Daniel couldn't even find the words to comment. "Daniel, ask around and see what you can come up with." Jack told him, "Carter, Teal'C, I suggest we find a quiet corner where we wont have to answer any questions." Silently agreeing, Sam and Teal'C followed him to the far side of the room while Daniel scanned the room for the girl who had invited them in.

Taking a seat at a far table, Jack gazed around the room and tried to avoid the light bouncing off the mirrorball. "I feel like I'm at a high school disco." He yelled above the music. "Disco?"

"A dance party with loud music and bright lights. Much like this." Sam explained. "I see."

The music was turned up a notch and soon couples were dancing and loners were swaying to the beat. A young girl dressed from head to toe in white carrying a drink tray in one hand and a flaming torch in another appeared before them. "Can I take your drink orders?" she asked loudly. "Excuse me?" Jack had heard what she'd said, he just couldn't believe it. "Drink orders!" she yelled back. "We're fine, thanks" Jack told her and watched as she moved on to the next table. Once her back was turned, Jack swung around in his seat and opened his eyes wide at Sam. Sam's expression mirrored Jack's and she shrugged in disbelief. "By the way," Jack began, "No drinking, no eating and _no_ dressing up like Flute-Girls" He'd turned to Teal'C during the last 'no' but it was obvious who he'd in fact been referring to. Sam blew air impatiently out through her lips and scowled at Jack. Jack paused for a moment worried he'd opened up old wounds until he saw the small smiling playing on her lips. Before Teal'C had the chance to question why he'd don women's clothing, Daniel returned.

"I think Hestia just offered me a drink" Daniel said loudly as he took the empty seat at the table. "That's…nice" Jack said slowly and waited to see if Daniel would offer any information he'd turned up. After a couple of seconds of silence he gave up, "So, Daniel. What'd ya find out?"

"We may have been slightly mislead by the notice we found," Daniel said sheepishly. "And how so?"

"Well this is an open costume party. Turns out it's Penelope's eighteenth birthday party."

"Penelope?" Sam asked. "The girl who invited us in."

"And so the whole Bacchus symposium is…? "Tongue-in-cheek. Eighteen is the, ah, legal age here"

"Ok so for the record, just how many languages do these people speak?" Jack resumed pushing Daniel for information. "I wondered that myself. So I asked. Imagine my surprise when Penelope answered me in english."

"I bet" Jack said impatiently. "I found a motif on one of the far walls which explains it all, plus a few other interesting events………" Daniel paused at the look Jack threw him, "Which we can always discuss later." Daniel added quickly. Still yelling he described the motif’s story of how an alien race had travelled to the planet and taught english to the inhabitants who had been brought to the planet through the chappa'ai many centuries earlier. "So now Greek is simply a novelty language. They're taught it at a young age to keep it alive but most never use…………" The music stopped suddenly and Daniel had to stop himself before the whole building heard the end of his sentence, "it."

The atmosphere in the room changed dramatically. The lighting was altered to a more natural tone and soft lyrical noted wafted into the room. A musical sat at the front of the room playing an instrument unfamiliar to Jack. "That would be a…?"

"Lyre." Daniel said softly, "A kithara to be exact."

"To be exact," Jack repeated. "It's so beautiful," Sam whispered as if afraid she'd spoil the mood if she spoke too loud, "Almost haunting."

"Indeed it is" Teal'c agreed.

Penelope whispered into the musician's ear and the tune became slower and softer. Catching the eye of the man who had shown interest in her earlier, she weaved through the ever-growing group of slow dancers on the floor and made her way to Daniel's table.

"Daniel, I do believe she has her eye on you" Jack said pointing out the obvious. "She's extremely young, Jack" Daniel narrowed his eyes at Jack. "Humour her, Danny-boy. I'm not suggesting you do anything other than dance with her." Daniel's face turned a nasty shade of red.

Penelope stood in front of the table and smiled at Daniel noticing his skin tone immediately, "Is it too warm in here?" she asked concerned. "No, it's fine." Daniel stammered. "Well then, as the birthday girl I am entitled to dance with anyone I wish," she announced happily. "I would be honoured," Daniel smiled back and stood. Turning briefly he glared at Jack before continuing onto the dance floor. "Anyone would think I'd just told him to Tango with Apophis" Jack smirked. "Nice, Sir" Jack was about to add to his comment when the Hestian waitress shyly made her way to their table. "May I have this dance?" she asked softly. "I……………"

"Would be honoured," Teal'C interrupted Jack before he could finish and only then did Jack realise the dance offer hadn't been directed at him.

Sam and Jack sat side by side at the table in silence. Sam pretended to be fascinated by a motif behind her while Jack watched the couples spin and sway to the music. "Sir,"

"Major" They said in unison. Sam smiled, "I'm not much of a dancer but…………"

"Ditto" Jack smiled, standing he held his hand out for her, "But I'm willing to try anything once."

"Anything, Sir?" Sam smirked but stood and took the offered hand in her own. Jack lead her towards the dance floor and the two weaved through the large group of dancers while searching for a space. "I have a confession to make," Jack's lips briefly brushed Sam's hair as he moved in closer to her. Sam couldn't stop the small smile from appearing on her lips, "And that would be?" she asked still smiling. Jack stopped, satisfied with their place on the floor, and turned to face Sam. "I can't dance to save myself," he admitted seriously. The small smile on Sam's lips broke into a grin and she giggled quietly. "hey, I heard that!" Jack said with mock warning, "No giggling, Major" Jack attempted to keep his expression serious but failed and shook his head smiling. He was nervous as hell; the occasional giggle that escaped Sam's lips reassured him she was just as nervous as he was.



=========



Daniel glanced over at Sam and Jack. "Seems your friends are yet to grasp the concept of the _dance_ floor," Penelope said, having noticed who he was staring at through the crowd. Daniel turned his attention back to Penelope and smiled as he said, "I wouldn't be surprised if they simply stood there all night."

"How long have they been married?" Penelope asked suddenly. Daniel's eyes widened at the question and he couldn't keep the shock off his features. "What?" Penelope asked, confused by his reaction to her question. "They're not married," Daniel told her, "They're not involved like that at all."

"They're just friends?" Penelope asked surprised and glanced back over at the couple who were still simply standing, "Sorry but I find that hard to believe."

"They have to keep..." Daniel paused, "It's complicated."

"Have they admitted..."

"No," Daniel interrupted her having seen where the question was headed. "That's sad," she said glumly. Daniel agreed with her silently and then made a lame attempt at changing the subject. "So it's your birthday, huh?"

Sam glanced down at her feet briefly and then shifted her gaze back up to the Colonel's face. "Carter?" Jack questioned her. "Sir?" Sam questioned back. Lost in her own thoughts she had no idea what he was referring to. "Those things you were just staring at," Jack said as he motioned down at her feet, "Dancing _usually_ requires moving them."

"I know, Sir, but..." Sam trailed off. Jack waited patiently for all of five seconds before pushing her to continue, "But?" Sam tilted her head to the side slightly and gave him a quick grin before she suddenly bent over. "Ah, Carter?" Jack moved back a step so he could see what she was up to. "These boots weren't designed with dancing in mind," She explained as she wrestled with a stubborn knot in one of her laces. Giving up, Sam placed her left foot at the heel of the boot with the knotted laces and attempted to extract her foot from the boot by using the front of her right foot. Finally she prevailed and kicked the boot aside. The other boot's laces came undone more easily and having removed her foot from it she quickly kicked the boot in the general direction which it's mate had gone flying. Jack clapped his hands and smirked at her in amusement. "Thanks for helping."

"Anytime," Jack told her, the smirk still playing on his lips. The smile soon faded. "Sir?"

"Ah, hell," Jack muttered and swiftly removed his boots, "If you can't dance in them there's no way I'll be able to." Sam faked a yawn to cover a grin. "Too late, Major. I saw that."

"Worth a shot, Sir." Jack pushed his boots far enough away so they wouldn't be tripped over and walked almost cautiously back to his 2IC. They both knew they'd just run out of excuses. Taking a nervous breath, Sam bridged the space between them, "When in Rome, Sir." Jack felt the tension drain from his body and he smiled as he agreed with her words and echoed, "When in Rome." His arms were around her before she had time to register the action and soon they were swaying, albeit awkwardly, to the music.



=========



"I now see why your friends took so long to begin dancing," Penelope said giggling. "They're terrible dancers," Daniel agreed and couldn't help chuckling at the sight. "We should all be thankful this is a short song."

Jack's hands were holding Sam gently at her hips; her arms had been draped over his shoulders earlier and were now hanging lazily around his neck. The two moved slowly to their own rhythm, no longer registering the beat of the music that filled the room. No longer noticing anything else in the room except each other; it was as if they were viewing the person in front of them for the first time and were so completely mesmerised by the sight everything around them ceased to exist. Including the lyre's hypnotic tune.

"Teal'C, I had no idea you could slow dance." Daniel told his friend having concluded his dance with Penelope and returned to the table. "I cannot, DanielJackson," Teal'c informed him. "Well you sure did a more convincing job than those two," Daniel said and motioned to the two lone figures on the dance floor. "Perhaps they should be informed the music has in fact concluded," Teal'C suggested. Daniel smiled and shook his head, "They'll work it out themselves," and then added in a softer tone, "eventually."

"Are you sure, DanielJackson?"

"Oh, I'm sure," Daniel assured him. Teal'C tilted his head slightly but said no more.

"Ah, Colonel," Sam whispered into her CO's ear having just noticed the lack of figures around them. "Yes, Sam?" The use of her first name completely broke the spell and she pulled away from him abruptly. Sam felt her face flush with embarrassment. "The song's ended, Sir." Professionalism kicked in and Jack simply nodded his head once before turning to retrieve his boots. Sam scanned the floor in front of her for her own boots and silently cursed at herself for putting so much power behind the kick she'd dealt them earlier. A hand tapped Sam's shoulder and she turned to see Daniel holding her boots out towards her. Sam silently took her boots from his hands and began working the ever present knot out with her teeth. "General Hammond is expecting us back soon," Teal'C informed them all. Sam nodded as she bit down harder on the lace. "Problems?" Jack asked Sam removed the foul tasting lace from her mouth, "Nothing I can't handle, Sir." Jack gave her a disbelieving look as the lace was once again clenched between her teeth. "We're outta here," Jack informed them and lead the way towards the entrance with Teal'C at his side. Daniel paused to give Penelope a quick birthday hug and wished her well. As the two figures walked swiftly ahead towards the StarGate, Sam and Daniel lagged behind as Sam continued to fuss with the lace. Daniel wondered if that was the only reason she was walking considerably slower than usual. Finally winning her battle, Sam stopped to put on her boots. Daniel paused at her side. "You know, General Hammond wont be too impressed with this mission," She told her companion as she finished her task. Daniel had never known tying a shoelace could be such a slow process. "Why's that?"

"We meet some nice people, yet we failed to really learn anything about them or their technology. We achieved nothing."

"On the contrary, Sam," Daniel said enigmatically as they continued towards the StarGate, "We achieved a lot."



THE END.

Feedback is lovingly embraced at Becc_Carter@yahoo.co.nz and is rewarded with chocolate covered clones *g* ~Becc's disclaimer: No boots were harmed during the writing of this fic~ Becc's fic http://www.angelfire.com/ms/msrfanfic/ C. June 2000.

=====

AntiFowley FanFic http://www.angelfire.com/nm/TeaL/

X-File/SG-1 Fic http://www.angelfire.com/ms/msrfanfic/

AIM: Celtic Goddess79 ICQ: 30822414