samandjack.net

Story Notes: A/N- This is my first fic and I'm a little nervous at releasing it :). It's small and a bit different (different can be good, right?). I would like to thank Allie for beta reading, and doing a great job! Feedback would be great, good or bad, i don't care as long as it doesn't burn. I am new at this and would really like to learn how to get better.


I perch on the end of my seat-- hands clasped, feet together -- as I sit and watch the Clock. I can't keep still, but I can't move. So I sit and curse the Clock and its eternal rhythm. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The Clock's face smirks and taunts me. The Clock's hands drag `round, each tug pulling my stomach along with it.

Ding!

I hear the sound that will change everything.

Dong!

My body is propelled forward -- an automatic response, like gravity, a power not seen but to be obeyed nevertheless. I see my feet move onwards. I watch them: left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot. They pace forward as if on a constant conveyor belt. They stop when they see the doorway to everything else. My hand grasps the handle. It's *him*.

Acknowledgement and understanding are exchanged between our eyes. In that moment flowers float to the ground, taking with them any flimsy excuse for being there. Hands grasp, bodies entwine and lips mush. My instant release turns into gain. Gain of a life no longer so simple yet no longer so complicated, no longer so open but no longer so secretive. It's finally our time.