samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: hya_right@yahoo.com

Season: Any with Daniel in it.

Spoilers: None

Archive: SJD, Heliopolis, yes. Anyone else need only ask

Status: Complete.

Author's Notes: Pure silliness. Inspired by my bro's latest blog entry.


Fifty feet of space separated them.

Fifty feet of hallway. It wasn't a long hallway, as far as Cheyenne Mountain Complex hallways went. Or even a particularly special hallway.

But as Jack O'Neill rounded the corner, it was suddenly the only hallway that mattered.

*She* was at the other end. Only fifty feet away.

She saw him. Smiled. The smile hit him like a bolt - it held greeting, affection, warmth.

It held something else.

And suddenly he knew. Knew he had to tell her. Tell her *right* now.

He started moving towards her.

And her towards him. They were drawn together, like his beloved magnets. Inexorably attracted, like a universal force. Compelling and inevitable.

Forty feet.

Suddenly, he his steps slowed, hesitated. Maybe he shouldn't tell her. He was her CO; it was inappropriate to tell her here, in public. What if she would be embarrassed? What if she would be upset? Should he wait until later...?

Only thirty feet. And getting closer...

Maybe he should have Daniel tell her. Use an intermediary. Or even Teal'c. God knows, he didn't know if he could tell her himself. His courage was failing. Rapidly.

Twenty feet. God, he had to make up his mind! She smiled again - it renewed his conviction. That something she held in her smile...something he hoped no one could see but him.

She had to know. He *had* to tell her.

They walked quicker and quicker, both increasing their pace as they closed the distance between them. Less then ten feet now. They were practically running in their eagerness to get to each other, their boots pounding a hard, frantic beat on the concrete floor.

And finally...

Zero feet. No distance, no divide.

They came to a stop, looking at each other. Face to face. He couldn't stop staring at her, her mouth, her welcoming smile...

"Hey, Carter..." He looked around, made sure no one was listening. The hallway was empty, but he still lowered his voice. "I have something to tell you..."

"Yes, sir?" she whispered, matching his tone.

"Well..." he stood for a moment, frozen in uncertainty. God, why was this so hard? But he *had* to get it off his chest. He had no choice. "Don't take this the wrong way, but..."

"Yes?" she asked expectantly.

He extended two long fingers towards her lips. Then withdrew them suddenly, moving them towards his own face instead. He waved the fingers in front of his open mouth.

"You've got a huge honkin' piece of spinach between your teeth."

"Oh!" She ran her tongue over her teeth. "Oh, my God."

"Yeah..." O'Neill grimaced painfully. This wasn't gonna be pretty...

"...And you've got some lipstick smudged on your teeth too..."

*****

Feedback good! Heliopolis savers even gooder! Thanks guys!