samandjack.net

Story Notes: Dedication: To Ness, for all your help.

minor character deaths

Feedback: Not only do I love feedback but I believe that it helps me write faster ;) I'm rather nervous about this fic so I hope you'll write to me and tell me what you think. Even if you hate it.


**********

Daniel



We'd been gone nearly six months. Half a year is a long time to be away from your home. When we first left, it was with the idea that we'd be back quite soon. However, fate didn't feel like helping us out. America was at war yet again and for safety's purposes they were shutting the Stargate program down. Wouldn't do for those pesky goa'ulds to sneak up on us while we were killing each other would it?

General Hammond fought hard for the gate to remain open and after awhile the President gave in, but only by a little bit. One team could go through and keep an eye on things offworld. However the gate would remain closed until the war was over. They would not be allowed to come back till then. The team would remain in constant contact with the Tok'ra, who Earth would contact when the war was over.

Does it seem a little silly? Does it seem downright strange and idiotic? Well that's what we were thinking too. I think they figured we'd back down and forget the idea after they gave us the terms but we didn't. SG-1 were chosen to go for a number of reasons, no. 1, we were perhaps the most qualified, no. 2 no one would be missing us while we were away, no. 3 Sam would be able to see her father, no. 4 we were practically the only ones to volunteer.

We figured if we left we'd at least have a chance to stop the Goa'uld. We jumped from one world to the next with some seriously cool equipment Sam and the tech guys rigged up before leaving. A few mini-MALP type machines that sent signals back to a laptop computer; that and a few solar powered cells. They worked on it for quite awhile. Figured this stuff would give us more of an edge.

We were on a planet where Goa'uld presence was undeniable, although they didn't seem to be there at the moment. We had walked from the country into the market place when we got our first reminder of home. We were all wearing plain, brownish coloured clothes which fit in just fine with the local fashions--we always try to fit in these days, not that Teal'c could ever really fit in.

We were strolling through the market place, looking for something worthwhile to bargain for with our hard-earned cash. Yeah that's right, we have money and items for bargaining these days--gotta be prepared. Suddenly Jack just stopped. Teal'c stopped in time, having those great reflexes of his. Sam and I sort of just hurtled into Teal'c's back. Jack turned around and smiled apologetically. When we began to protest he lifted a hand to signal quiet.

"Do you guys recognise anyone up there?" he asked and I looked to the slave auction block, where he was pointing.

"Isn't that..." Sam started to say before trailing off. I could only stare. The leader of the SG-3 marines, Colonel Robert Makepeace stood tall, his head held high. He had no shirt, only fatigues and his hands were tied in front of him. He was next in line to be sold. What the hell is he doing here?

"We have to do something, Jack!" Sam whispers to him. They use first names these days. Not much point in using a rank when you've left the world it was used on, perhaps for a long time. As far as I know that's as familiar as they get... pity.

Jack's answer is to merely stride towards the owner of Makepeace, grabbing Sam's wrist and taking her with him.

"Stay here." He throws over his shoulder, I sigh, why does he always do that? I see him begin the bargaining process with the owner. Robert hasn't spotted them yet. I see a transaction taking place and the ex-owner motions to a large building before going to presumably fetch his slave. Jack motions Teal'c and I to follow Sam and him there and we set out, pushing through the crowd to arrive there roughly the same time as them. Robert walks out the door with his head bowed. The seller hands him over silently before walking away. For the first time he looks up.

"Don't show any recognition." Sam warns and he immediately bows his head again. The shock is still on his face but slowly it's being replaced by an even stronger one. Hope. We lead him out of the square but just as we're exiting I look back. Oh shit, there's another face that I recognise. This time a woman from SG-11. Sam and Jack exchange a look when I point her out, and they know what it is they have to do. Jack passes the end of the rope around Makepeace's hands to me.

"Go to the rock formation by the gate, Daniel, we'll meet you there. If we're not back in six hours then take him and go to the HAFH world." With that Jack turns on his heel with Sam and Teal'c flanking either side of him.

"Well," I address myself to Makepeace. "Looks like it's just you and me." Then he does something that really shocks me. He smiles and says.

"It's good to see you Daniel." What the hell happened to him?

As soon as we left the city I unbound his hands and just about as soon as we arrived at the rock formation Jack had told us to wait at he tumbled down and sort of collapsed. After checking his vitals I breathed a sigh of relief to discover he was only sleeping. Judging by the scars on his back he's been treated badly.

About an hour and a half later Teal'c turns up with the woman from SG-11 and another female captain from SG-4. They look like they're in shock so I leave them by the fire with food and warmth. Robert wakes up and I'm shocked by how fast they eat their food, they must have been starved or something.

When I look at Teal'c for an explanation he merely says, "O'Neill and Carter will be coming with the others soon." Others? How many SGC personnel are here as slaves? What's going on?

A few hours later as the sun is going down, Jack and Sam arrive back, leading four people I recognise. One was a technician, one worked in medbay, two were from SG teams. All of them collapse when they reach the fire.

Jack motions us away from them for a private conference.

"Did you find out how they got here?" I ask, Jack shakes his head.

"We'll ask them tomorrow, as soon as we've gotten out of here. We'll leave as soon as it's light."

"But are there any more of them?"

"They said they were the only personnel on this planet." Sam says. This planet?

This doesn't make sense, we all know it. If only one team were being sold then maybe there would be a normal explanation, like the war had ended and no one had remembered to tell us. But this? Five people from five different teams, a technician and a doctor. No one is even meant to be off world! I sit by the fire and watch them, Teal'c stands guard at a short distance and Sam and Jack talk in hushed voices, presumably about the situation. I fall asleep at last, still wondering.

I wake up to Jack yelling, "Let's pack up and move out people!" Half an hour later we're ready to go, all eleven of us. At Jack's nod I dial for a planet we've nicknamed HAFH or our 'home away from home'. There's no inhabitants, it's a good atmosphere and there's plenty of food sources. We've even got some rough dwellings set up, hidden well away from the gate for safety purposes.

When we arrive we herd our seven new guests towards them, but instead of going inside we decide to sit in the sun with them.

"Now," Jack says, leadership instincts taking over as always. "Tell us how you came to be on that planet as slaves." Makepeace begins the story.

"When you left, everyone was fairly much in a state of shock. General Hammond lobbied the President and senate some more and eventually it was decided that the SGC facility would remain open in case there was need for immediate evacuation. All personnel were allowed to stay, however there would be no further exploration of planets besides what you were doing. So the war went on, us humans fighting over petty things like land and money, we were so distracted by our own stupid troubles that we were unprepared when they came. The Goa'uld that is. Not just Apothis and his bunch, but a whole lot of them. They attacked the major cities first, there was fire and destruction and death everywhere you looked. We tried to evacuate but couldn't get past their continual dial-ins. They had us trapped. Lots of soldiers died trying to save the Base, the rest of us they took as slaves, herding us to their ships like sheep." For the first time he pauses, looking up at us with sad eyes. "General Hammond is dead, he took a lot of enemy Jaffa with him."

I bow my head, Teal'c's face shows his shock, Jack clasps Sam's hand, holding it tightly as a tear runs down her face.

My how the mighty have fallen.

We overcome our state of shock eventually and Jack tells us to look after the SGC members here while he fetches some water. Sam is muttering something about rigging up a pipe system one day.

"I'll come with you." I volunteer. He hands me a couple of buckets and we go. We got them and some other nifty gifts from the Tok'ra. Mostly we rely on ourselves though. We're both silent on the way there, still processing what has happened. The filling of the buckets is silent as well. Afterwards, Jack takes off his shoes and wades into the water. I follow his example.

I watch the water run over my feet, washing the dirt away. Will it wash away our sin too? The sin of abandoning our friends, the sin of not being there when they needed us. Jack bends down and picks up a stone holding it up for the light, it's mostly pure crystal but in the center is a mixed up splotch of red and gold. Jack pockets it, smiling to himself.

"Come on Daniel, it's time to go back." He says. I follow him up the hill, slightly staggering under the load he finds so easy to carry.

When we reach the building where we live the water is boiled for food and drinking. We make another few trips back for bath water. The rescued SGC members are all outside, reveling in the sunlight. Teal'c is carving something out a piece of wood, I grind a native seed that makes a type of bread. Sam stirs a stew on the fire and sits down next to Jack who is writing in our team diary. We keep an account of things that happen each day so that we never forget and so when we get back the debriefing will be complete. At least that was the plan. Jack closes the diary and glances over at her, searching her eyes to see if she's alright.

"What are we going to do, Jack?" she asks in a hushed voice, her expression worried. I wonder if I should move away to give them some privacy but think better of it. "The captain from SG-4 remembers the destination they dialed in before the one they were taken to. They say Janet was taken there." Lifting a hand, Jack touches her cheek briefly. I'll never understand their relationship. It's all about wanting and not having. It's as if they're afraid to take that final step.

"We'll find them," he says with determination in his voice. "We'll find every last one of them and we'll rebuild our world." Hell, even I believe him when he says it like that. "Here," he starts, placing the stone he found into her palm and closing her fingers around it with his own. "I found this and thought you'd like it." He gives a defensive shrug just in case she doesn't. She opens her fingers and looks at it.

"Jack it's beautiful," she smiles a full fledged smile at him and for a moment both of them forget all their troubles. "Would you like me to explain the crystal formations to you?" she asks and he nods.

"Of course, every conversation with you, I get smarter."

I smile as I listen to her explain it patiently and watch him try hard to understand. I can't help but wanting more for them, it's in my nature.

I gaze at my three friends. Our world is in all probability ruined and our friends need rescuing. Looking at them I realise that we can do it. They are my family now, together we can do anything.



**********

Sam



After letting our rescued friends recover for another day on HAFH, it was decided that we would return to earth. We didn't know what we'd find, what the Goa'uld would have *left* for us to find, but the knowledge that our friends or family or even complete strangers were still on earth, alive, gave us the desire to return.

When we arrived back, the first thing that struck me was the silence. There had never really been silence in the Gate Room before. The computers were always humming, there was always a technician around, the lights were always on. Now, a few lights blink halfheartedly and the silence...the silence is suffocating.

There are a few other changes, the foremost being that the goa'uld have installed a DHD. According to our tech, Mike, they installed it after one of our soldiers blew up the computer center. Well I always wanted a DHD. The next one was that the iris was gone.

Jack and I take point, leaving Daniel to make sure no one wanders off and Teal'c to guard our backs. We're pretty sure the goa'uld are gone but it's nice to have some securities. The lifts aren't working so we're forced to use the stairs, being located 27 floors underground does have it's bad points too. We check every floor but there's no sign of life, only death. Occasionally we'll come to a body and I'll recognise who it used to be. I'll remember them walking, talking, laughing. Now their eyes are lifeless. Jack places a hand on my arm briefly.

"We'll bury them later," he murmurs. Daniel walks up to us briskly.

"Apparently we're safe, because the goa'uld didn't want a base here. They only wanted to make sure the threat was taken care of."

"So it was basically crush, kill, destroy and move on." Jack says without a trace of humour in his voice.

We reach the surface door and walk outside. The sun is blinding, searing after the cool darkness of inside. Then my vision clears, I sag against Jack, my legs unwilling to hold me up. He grabs my waist, steadying me with a deathly grip. His face is pale and he holds me just as tightly, as if I'm his last link to sanity. Daniel has sunk to his knees. Teal'c just stares.

The rest of our merry party aren't too shocked, they've seen it before.

Crush, Kill, Destroy.

That just about sums it up. It's hard to accept that what we're looking at is our world. I don't know quite what we were expecting but not this, never this. Most of the trees have been leveled so we have a clear view of the city. Or at least what used to be the city. It's rubble now, only a few structures still stand. Jack closes his eyes, I wonder if he's thinking of his ex-wife. When he opens them I can tell he's in control again.

"Let's move out to the city, we might find some survivors. We can be there in two hours, have your weapons at the ready."

"But Jack, the goa'uld are gone." Daniel points out.

"Events like this can send a person crazy, Daniel."

With his grim words as a reminder we set off. Two hours later after a walk through the ghost of a land that used to be a main road, with wrecks for cars, we arrive. The place is deserted, the wind whistles around us, creating an eerie tune of its own. Then a shape launches itself at us from the shadows.

"Oh my god, people and you're unhurt! Didn't they attack where you were?" Jack lowers his weapon just in time. She can't be more than twenty, probably still a teenager. "Wait," she suddenly thinks of something. "How do I know you're not them in disguise?" She backs away, preparing to run.

"Please," I say in as soothing a tone as I can manage. "Trust us, we're here to help you. Would they disguise themselves?" She calms down visibly. "Now, are there any more survivors?" she nods eagerly and limps off. We follow her, all eleven of us pretty much orderly. She leads us to a building which is more or less standing, there are people inside, crowded and frightened.

They're so scared you can smell it on them. These are our people, this is our planet. We are possibly their only hope. It puts a lot of pressure on you. Jack is in his element though.

"Daniel, find out how many people there are, Teal'c find a way to assure them you're not going to kill them. Reese," he addresses the medic, "Find out how many are injured and see if you can treat them somehow, see how many can travel. The rest of you disperse, talk to them, see if you can get a clear picture of what happened. Sam you're with me." I'm surprised by the last command, I'm usually decided to be a people person and made to talk to the locals. Of course, here the locals are our people so the rules are slightly changed.

"Jack?" I query.

"What are we going to do with these people?" he asks me and his mask slips, showing the tiredness in his face, I have the urge to smooth away his lines of worry but I don't. Instead I behave like a good second in command and outline possible options. Within half an hour we've begun to outline a possible plan. The others come back slowly to report.

"O'Neill, I believe some of them do now trust me." Teal'c sounds tired, saddened. Daniel reports and there are thirty-four people. Reese states that the way things are going there's going to be thirty-three people if she doesn't get back to her patient. Jack dismisses her. Most of them can travel, some would have to be on stretchers. Then we outline our plan.

"SG-1 is due to contact the Tok'ra the day after tomorrow, we'll gain their help when we see them. Until then these people need a suitable place to rest and get better. The planet we took you to is an option but it's not quite ready for this many people. That's where the Tok'ra come in, they'll help prepare the HAFH but until then these people will stay in the land of light. They've always been open to visitors before."

Makepeace stares at us as if we've gone mad. "Are you crazy? The SGC is top secret! The..." Jack cuts him off wearily.

"Robert, these people have seen alien ships, I don't think the Stargate is going to come as much of a surprise. The people of the land of light were willing to give the Tollans a go so I think they'll accept our people for awhile. It's only temporary and they can't stay here." No one else argues and Jack stands up, clearing his throat. The room falls silent.

"I know this might be hard to believe but the military base we belonged to was actually a top secret installation called the SGC. We use a device called a Stargate to travel to different parts of the galaxy. Tomorrow we'll transfer all of you to a planet where you'll be safe with friends of ours."

There's silence and I expect a few comments like 'they're crazy' or 'let's kill them before they infect us'.

But the only question raised is "Are you sure they won't attack us?"

Jack turns to Daniel, "You're on," he says "Explain everything to them that they need to know." Then he walks over to a wall and just sort of slides down it until he's sitting hunched over himself at the bottom. I carefully sit down next to him.

"Are you worried about Sarah?" I ask, I've accepted the fact that my brother and his family are probably dead. I'll mourn later when there's time to do it properly.

"She'd be here if she wasn't dead." He states, but his tone isn't grief-stricken. It's flat and accepting as if, like me, he's decided to do his grieving later.

I think of everyone we left behind here, what happened to Cassie? I make up my mind to ask someone later.

I place my hand on Jack's knee, a sign of my support and suddenly wish that I was in a position to give more. After a moment he covers my hand with his, his lean tanned fingers twining with mine. I squeeze his hand and his fingers tighten around mine. I make a move to stand, so that he can be alone, but he stops me.

"Would you stay here with me, Sam?" his tone is light but his eyes are pleading. Then it hits me, Jack has nothing left except us. I have my father with the Tok'ra, Teal'c has his family on another planet. Daniel has Kasuf and the hope of Sha're. But Jack... Jack has nothing except us. So I sit there with him, my hand warm in his.

Traces of conversation between Daniel and the people, "...Then most of the SGC became neanderthals, don't worry that's cured, it was actually quite funny because..."

Jack sighs loudly. "For crying out loud Daniel, don't tell them that." He shoots Daniel a look that could kill, Daniel just looks over it and smiles covertly, his eyes glinting.

"Okay, we'll just skip that bit out." Jack shifts uncomfortably next to me, even after all this time it still embarrasses us slightly. My attempted seduction and Jack's attack on Daniel.

I move my head onto his shoulder, hoping he won't make some throw away comment about it, and my hair brushes the base of his neck. He moves his head so that it can rest lightly on mine. Our heads together, bodies side by side and hands joined, I fall asleep like that and for the first time since arriving back on earth I feel happy, safe and warm.

When I wake up somebody, probably Jack, has lowered me onto the floor. I sit up, realising that his jacket had been wrapped around me. Daniel is sleeping in a corner, Jack and Teal'c are near the entrance of the building, making plans. Quietly, sidestepping sleeping bodies, I approach them. Teal'c notices me and looks up, nodding to acknowledge my presence. Jack looks up and smiles at me. It's a tired smile, just the slightest quirk of lips but it warms my heart and I smile back.

"Did you get any sleep?" I ask Jack, he nods.

"Yeah I just got up, we've been finalising plans." Jack murmurs. "When we contact the Tok'ra for their help with the HAFH world, we'll also ask for information on slave trading worlds. After we've met with them we'll check out the world that Janet is supposedly on. Maybe she or one of the other soldiers will know some more addresses." I nod.

"It's a good thing we'll be contacting the Tok'ra tomorrow." I say, it'll be good to see my father again. As Jack proclaims in a clear voice that it's time to rise and shine I think of what has become of my world. My brother, neice, nephew and sister-in-law are probably all dead, though initial shock has somewhat numbed that fact. It seems selfish to only grieve for a few when nearly the whole world has died. But Cassie, I have hope for Cassie. As soon as she knew what was happening she would've got herself to Cheyenne mountain. When Makepeace first told the tale he didn't mention Cassie, I'll ask him on the way up the mountain.

We herd them up the road, all thirty-four of them. Miraculously the thirty-fourth person has survived the night and is showing signs of recovery. Reese walks along her makeshift stretcher, taking her vitals every so often. I stride up to Makepeace, adjusting the weight of my rifle as I go.

"Colonel Makepeace!" I call out, he slows his pace and waits for me to catch up.

"Yes Major Carter?" he asks.

"I didn't get a chance to ask you earlier, but do you know what happened to Cassandra?"

Makepeace hardens his face suddenly, the news can't be that bad can it? My heart goes into panic attack.

"I thought it best not to tell you, but she was captured with the rest of us--Doc Frasier had her at the office that day. She was with Feretti, Graham Simmons, a female soldier and two male soldiers, a woman from SG-8 and a male lieutenant from SG-5. I didn't see the destination of the planet she was taken to." He looks at me, his eyes apologetic "I'm sorry Major Carter." I nod, biting my lip and fall back to my place in the line.

A trip that only took two hours the day before takes nearly all day with our added people. After maneuvering down the stairs (which took nearly as long) we all reach the gate room. Jack gives the SGC members night vision goggles from a store room and torches so they won't leave anybody on the dark side of the planet. He calls the SGC personnel to him to confirm last minute plans.

"SG-1 will not accompany you to the other side of the gate. We'll be going to meet with the Tok'ra. I expect you all to stay with these people until a member of the Tok'ra comes to meet with you. Then you'll presumably take these people to the HAFH world." He hands them the coordinates on a piece of paper. "Memorise them and look after these people." He pauses and his voice lowers. "They're some of the only survivors of our world." With nothing remaining to be said we watch them leave, the blue light playing on our skin. A couple of them wave before going. The wormhole shuts down and suddenly I just feel empty.

Then we go to bury our dead.



**********

Cassandra



I have lived through two goa’uld invasions.

At the beginning I wondered if it was my fault that they came, that maybe they attacked Earth because I was there. I know it’s not true though. The goa’uld don’t need a reason to attack. All they need is suspicion.

It was a weekend and Janet had work to do at the SGC. I had no plans so I came along. That was the day that everything changed. The day that they came. I remember when the mountain shook and I knew, I just knew that they’d come. Alone in Janet's office I screamed and screamed and screamed until someone came and took me to see Janet.

Three days later, the goa’uld broke through our defenses and invaded the SGC. From the moment I heard the rumbling... the moment the glass of water Janet had gotten for me tumbled from the desk I knew we’d lost. It didn’t matter that our troops were fighting bravely, this wasn’t ‘Independence Day’. Inside I’d given up.

Most people think that all fourteen year old girls ever think about is clothes, boys and themselves. Well it’s not true in my case. I’ve lived through two massacres now, seen the populations of two planets slaughtered. Janet had hidden me in her study but as soon as I heard the ‘tromp, tromp’ of their boots in the hall I went to stand with my friends. Some things are not worth surviving twice, I didn’t want that loneliness again. That knowledge that all my family and friends were dead. But we didn’t get death, instead we got slavery.

They selected us in groups of seven to ten. Ours had eight. I only really knew Graham Simmons and Feretti. There were two people from SG teams and three base soldiers. We were lucky enough to be bought by people of neighbouring estates. We’re even allowed to see each other for a few hours on the weekend. That’s when we plan, when we talk. We’ve only been here a little while but already I’m forgetting my old life.

The world is fairly posh by most people’s standards, the people certainly seem to think quite highly of themselves. This world reminds me of a period in earth history from a long time ago. I’m a servant girl, Feretti works in the garden. At the place next door Graham is a sort of servant. A soldier from SG-8 called Caroline is a maid at the same house as Feretti and I. I clean, I fetch, I behave myself. We’ve been told once we work for fifteen years we’ll be freed. Fifteen years, huh? I’ll be twenty-nine. The rest of us will be past middle age.

I had a dream last night... Sam and Janet took me to the beach a couple of times so I know what it looks like. In the dream I was beneath the waves, swimming and swimming, trying to get as far away as possible from something. Then suddenly I stopped swimming and drifted down, down, down. The waves washed me onto the shore of a beach, there were palms waving in the breeze and the sand was warm under my bare feet. I had the greatest feeling of peace because I just knew that the goa’uld would never find this place and that I’d be safe. Then one of the older maids shook me awake so that I could start to prepare breakfast and I wanted to cry, cry because my dream was shattered, cry because there’s no place like that.

But I still have hope.

When I saw Janet being taken away I knew that she couldn’t help me. For a minute or two I gave up. Then I remembered SG-1. Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal’c will never give up looking for us. If they’re out there somewhere then there’s hope.



**********

Jack



We wait for the Tok'ra on a harsh desert planet, similar to Abydos or the one we encountered Apothis on before Sokar took him. I've gotten used to the Tok'ra, I respect them for the work they do. Martouf doesn't even annoy me nearly as much as before. He's finally finished making googly eyes at Sam and gotten on with his life. I heard he was pursuing a host called Mal'shreck. With all my heart I wish them the best. Truly I do. If for no other reason that it would keep him away from Sam.

I don't know when I started getting all possessive. Probably about the time I realised I wasn't in love with Sarah anymore. I mourn for my ex-wife, knowing that she's dead, but it hasn't torn me apart like the loss of Sam would. We've been through so much together, if I lost Sam I don't know what I'd do. Speaking of Sam...

"Are you okay?" I ask, laying a hand on her arm. It feels cool under my warm fingers. I can touch her more these days, the unspoken boundaries we drew up permit it. Our rules almost seem to say 'right, you can be close but don't even think of crossing that old line'. I enjoy the brief contacts I can sneak in even though they torture me, tempt me. We held back before because one day we would return to earth and the confines of its regulations. But now there are no regulations, just our rules.

Nodding, Sam leans against me lightly as if asking me to give her strength. It's not going to be easy to tell her father that his son and family are dead. Then the 'gate opens with its spectacular whoosh and she steps away, towards the Stargate. Our brief moment of contact is gone and I find myself missing it.

Sam's father and two young Tok'ra I only know slightly step through. Martouf and some of the other regulars haven't made it to this meeting. Jacob's face is ringed with smiles. I know he looks forward to seeing us, Sam in particular of course. We see them every two weeks. Just in case something happens to us when we're gate hopping we always leave the co-ordinates of the planet we've gone to at the HAFH world when we travel.

Jacob's expression soon changes when he sees Sam's face, all our faces. "What's wrong?" he asks and in halting sentences she explains how we came upon the slave auction, of our planet's state, of our need for help. When she finishes Jacob just sort of opens her arms and he hugs her. She's crying and I want to go to comfort her but it's not really my place.

Jacob has tears in his eyes as well. "You'd better come back with us." He says, turning away to the DHD to dial the Tok'ra planet. Sam walks over to me and all I want to do is give her comfort. I wish I was better at this. With the corner of my sleeve I wipe away her tears, trying to do it as gently as possible. When I'm finished I take her hand, interlacing her fingers with mine. It's as much for her benefit as mine. I see Jacob give us a speculative look. He's tried to discuss the subject of my relationship with Sam a few times but I always manage to avoid it.

We step through the Stargate and as soon as we walk out of its circle guards surround us. They soon disperse when they see us. These days everyone knows our faces. Selmak surfaces "We need to see Garshaw and the council immediately!" she barks to a lesser Tok'ra who hurries off to tell Garshaw. When we arrive at the council chambers she is already there and tells us that the others will arrive soon.

"Is it bad news?" her host asks.

"The worst." Jacob replies. When the council arrives, Selmak begins to speak. "I have the worst possible news, our allies the Tau'ri have fallen. Their planet was decimated by a goa'uld attack that we had no warning of from our spies. If I know the goa'uld correctly I would say that more than three quarters of the world's population is dead. In this our of need, their great warriors SG-1 have turned to us for help. They need to resettle the population of their world that can be rescued on the world that they have been occupying for the past six months. They also need help to reclaim those friends of theirs that have been taken as slaves. Will we help them?"

After retelling our story in full and answering some questions they agree to help. Good old Tok'ra, I always knew that those guys would be useful for something. One of the council looks at the co-ordinates of the planet that Doc Frasier was taken to and nods gravely.

"It's primarily a mining planet." She says "Security won't be that tight but if your friends aren't on the lookout for you it might be hard to rescue them."

"Why?" I ask, direct as ever.

"Have you ever been to a slave mining camp?" she asks.

I think of Jonas pretending to be a god, but he didn't really count. I think of Abydos and the people scaling the walls on thin ladders with their baskets of naquadah. The image of P3R636 and it's naquadah mine also comes to mind. "Yeah?" I answer hesitantly.

"They're huge, there's so many people it's hard to find yourself let alone other people." Her news sinks in. How are we going to find them? How are we going to reclaim our friends? We discuss for hours and finally it's decided that a small team, comprising of SG-1 and five Tok'ra warriors will travel to the mining planet while they discuss other possible slave worlds and who it would be best to send.

Only when we arrive at the mining planet do I realise the size of the whole project. It's huge, workers hack away at the hillside and carry it away in baskets. It does remind me of the first time on Abydos. Martouf is with us and he whispers orders to one of his men, who disappears into the bush. We all walk back a little way so as to stay hidden.

"The rest of us should stay here till he comes back, he'll do his job."

"Where'd he go?" I ask, wanting answers. Sam being brighter than me, understands.

"He's gone to gather information, Jack." She says, I just raise my eyebrows. Gather information? I'm not going to ask how, they can use whatever methods they like as long as it gets results.

I sit myself down next to Sam, if we're going to spend the afternoon here then I'd like to spend it next to her. The Tok'ra have settled a little bit away from us. Daniel and Teal'c are either discussing something Teal'c doesn't understand or something Daniel doesn't understand.

"You know," Sam says to me in an undertone "The whole reason we were selected for this mission was because no one would miss us." She's right and I tell her so.

"But we miss them." I add, smiling sadly. She nods in agreement.

"I was never very close to my brother, or his family, but now that they're gone I miss them badly. But I was always glad that I was on your team. I would've missed you more if you'd gone without me." Her eyes are wide and serious and the deepest shad of blue that I've ever seen. For a moment we just gaze at each other, our eyes interlocked. The air is frozen, my heartbeat seems to slow.

Then Daniel asks me how I would explain hockey, Teal'c still doesn't understand it. The moment is broken and I suppress the urge to glare at Daniel. Sighing and giving Sam a 'why me' look, I begin to explain why I enjoy hitting a flat disk with a large stick.

Hours later, when dusk is setting in, the Tok'ra operative returns. "They're in Sector 13, down there." He says, pointing. I don't ask how he found out. That sector is on our side, it should be easy to get them.

"Come on kids, lets move out."



**********

Janet



My whole wold is dirt. Dirt and rock. We move the dirt, we extract the rock. There's dirt on my skin, dirt in my clothes, dirt in my nails, dirt in my hair. Sometimes there's dirt in my mouth and nostrils. It might sound strange but *dirt* is my enemy and I hate it with a passion. If I ever get out of here I'll probably be one of those neat freaks who won't let dirt inside their house, a compulsive cleaner. I'll just have to bill the goa'uld for my psychiatric expenses I guess.

My fellow ex-SGC members sleep around me. I wish they'd sent Cassie with me, I miss her, I worry about her. We stick close together, my friends and I. When we sleep, when we rest, when we work. We've only been here about a month, maybe less but already we're developing co-dependant tendencies. It's unhealthy but that it can't be helped. What are we supposed to do? Go to Unwashed Slave Miners With Co-Dependency Problems Anonymous? Yeah, USMWCDPA, one hell of an acronym.

I don't know why I woke up, I should go back to sleep though, tomorrow will be hard as usual. They never give us enough food or rest. We get fed twice a day and then the food is crap. But I can't go back to sleep, and then suddenly I know why I woke up. There's silence. Usually there is always the hum of the force field barrier keeping us in but now there's silence. Quietly I shake the shoulders of my comrades, holding a finger to my lips to signal quiet. Sluggishly, they begin to respond and get to their feet. Then a figure appears, walking over the space where the force fields usually are. By the light of the two moons I recognise their face. Making my sob die in my throat, I fling myself into Sam's arms.

The three other members of SG-1 and some other people that look like Tok'ra usher us past the downed force field. We're only a few feet away when the force field hums to life again and the sirens begin to wail. The rest of the slaves wake up and one clambers to the barrier, seeing us on the other side. "Help us! Save us!" he screams.

Tears stream down the side of my face. "I'm sorry." I say, it takes all my willpower to turn and run and I promise myself that one day I will come back and free these people.

We run madly and somewhat disorganized, up the slope, the Tok'ra leading us and SG-1 bringing up the rears. I can hear the guards pursuing us. One of my fellow ex-slaves has stumbled and been left behind and Sam races back to help her up. As the woman begins her race back up the slope a guard grabs Sam. Sam, turning around to pull free, accidentally sets them both off balance and they tumble a short way down the slope.

"Sam!" Jack screams, and begins a slipping, sliding descent down to help her. "Keep going, we'll catch up!" he yells as us. Even as I watch he reaches Sam and scoops her up in his arms. She's not moving, please don't let her be dead, please no. I turn back towards the Stargate, Jack and Sam not far behind me. We run, one by one into its glittering surface, so deceptively a calm. And for a moment, just for a moment as gate travel speeds me around the galaxy, I forget.

Awhile later we sit in the Tok'ra version of a lounge room. Sam has regained consciousness, thank god. Jack was freaking out until she woke up but luckily she has nothing worse than a concussion, some bruises and a mildly sprained ankle. Sam is lounging on a couch with her feet in Jack's lap while he rubs them. I wonder if they know how they look to everyone else.

It's only been about an hour since we got back and suddenly I realise that I haven't gotten cleaned up yet. "So you're going to be okay?" I ask Sam after checking her injuries out, she nods, smiling. I've been holding her hand and talking.

"I should even be back on my feet in a few days with the Tok'ra's medical equipment." She adds.

"Do you know where I can wash up?" I ask them and Jacob volunteers to show me. Once he's gone I strip off, sending my clothes down a laundry chute and glad that there's some fresh ones in the room. I step under a stream of water and scrub the dirt from my skin--out of my hair and from under my nails--until the water runs brown. But it never seems like enough, even when the water runs clear again I don't feel clean.

"Janet?" Sam opens the door, hobbling in. She finds me wrapped in a towel on the floor, crying. "What's wrong?" She asks, touching my shoulder in concern.

"I can't get clean." I sob, she folds her arms around me and I hug her back, glad to be with my friend, glad to let her comfort me.

"You're clean." She tells me, looking me in the eyes.

I am clean. All the dirt is washed away.



**********

Sam



I keep sneaking glances at Janet but she seems to be fine now.

When we first left earth, originally, I almost freaked out a couple of times. I mean, I'd left everything behind. Why would I not freak out? But my friends saved me from that. That and the fact that I knew I could come home in the end. Little did I know.

I wonder how I would've coped if we'd been on base when it happened. If they'd separated me from Teal'c, Daniel and Jack. Especially from Jack. Try as I might it's hard to understand our relationship. We support each other, we cling to each other, we act possessive, we encourage each other's freedom. We go hot and cold by turns, we watch each other, protect each other. I love him yes, perhaps more than I did before we left Earth. I've gotten to know him better since then, there's not really a way not to when you spend every single day together. But what do I do about it? Do I seize the day or stay safe and comfortable in the relationship we have? How the hell am I supposed to decide?

I jump as a hand lands on my should but relax when I turn around and see Jack. "How's she doing?" he asks, inclining his head towards Janet.

I shrug. "She seems to be doing okay now. I think she'll be fine." Using his arm to turn me around I take a few limping steps in the other direction. "Coming?" I ask, doing my current version of walking in the direction of the meeting room. He looks fed up with me.

"Sam, if you keep walking on it you'll never get better." He says, fixing me with his 'don't even think of refusing me' stare. "Lean on me." He commands.

"Yes sir!" I reply jokingly, he gives me a strange look while I wrap one arm around his shoulders and he wraps one around my waist. Perhaps it's because I'm reminding him of old ranks, old reasons. With my body pressed next to his and our arms around each other it's hard to remember any reasons at all.

We walk into the Tok'ra council chamber, the last to arrive. Today we'll be discussing plans for the settlement on HAFH. I swear, one of these days we have to come up with a better name. At first the settlement will be small but we have to take into account any extra people that we rescue. I've been thinking about the tractor beams that the Asgard have. They could rescue survivors much better than we could. I even saw them zap a pyramid once. I hope I can find a way to contact them.

Only SG-1 will be attending this meeting, but afterwards we'll report on what we decided to the most recently rescued group. To tell the truth, none of them wanted to come to the meeting. Janet pretty much summed it up when she said. "I know nothing about community planning so there's really no point in me being there."

There's not really much point in us being there either but there has to be some representatives of our community there. We're going to have to take long term factors like the environment into consideration as well--we've wreaked one planet, we wouldn't want to do it to another one.

One of the Tok'ra asks if any of us have special requests and I raise my hand. "Piping!" I say, I'm bloody sick of carting all those buckets about.

Next to me, Jack nods. The Tok'ra shrugs.

"We've come up with some plans from the scouts that went to investigate your world."

They show us each one, outlining the positives and the negatives. Occasionally our team will glance at each other and nod or grimace. Jack is writing down notes, being the responsible leader that he is, and I murmur comments to him about how we could incorporate some of plan five's features into plan three and so on. Dutifully he writes them down, sometimes whispering to me what he thinks a better idea would be. Most of them are good but some, like having a life size stature of the four of us to honour us are only to make me laugh. We even have a good answer to the question of manpower. Makeshift dwellings can be made by the Tok'ra for our people, who, with a supervisor of course, can build our new world. After all it's theirs so they might as well help establish it. We've resolutely decided not to move the people back to Earth. Too many bad memories, and besides, the earth should have a chance to heal.

We're informed that some of the Tok'ra have volunteered to sweep the country for survivors. With the technology that they have it might not take that long. "I think we should send a team with them." I whisper to Jack "A medic, soldiers, someone who can reassure the people that the Tok'ra haven't come to finish them off." Looking at me thoughtfully he chews his bottom lip.

"That's a good idea." He replies and tells it to the Tok'ra. They also like it and ask us if we'll be the ones to accompany them. "Perhaps," Jack replies "But we'd also like to search for our missing friends."

Teal'c speaks up them "I have been thinking and I do believe that I remember the co-ordinates to some goa'uld slave worlds." Well now things are definitely going to change if we can go on the offensive. Community planning is very nice and all that, but I'm itching to get out there.

The meeting ends and Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and I all walk, or limp in my case, in the direction of the room where our newly rescued friends are relaxing. A marine from SG-3, I think his name is Chris, looks up and notices our arrival first. Makepeace will be happy to have a member of his team back, the marines are bonded almost as closely as we are.

"So," Chris says, leaning back in his chair to look at us "What delightful living conditions have the Tok'ra got in mind for us." You can tell by his brand of sarcasm that Jack hung out with SG-3 a lot.

"Well don't worry," Jack grins "They're not going to make you live in tunnels." A lieutenant from SG-2 named Lola mimes wiping her forehead in relief.

"Much as I love the Tok'ra, I don't really fancy living underground." She says. Teal'c places the plans on the table and the seven of them crowd around to look.

"There's a condition though." Daniel says and they all look up, fingers poised in mid point, mouths open in mid sentence. "It's sort of a build it yourself deal." He finishes. A few of them shrug, an SG-11 Captain, Rebecca, smiles sadly.

"We're all used to hard labour." She says and they murmur their agreement.

Chris places a hand on hers briefly and she smiles to say she's okay. It must have been tough on them. I wonder how many more of our friends are out there, slaving away, thinking that the rest of their lives will be like that. I wonder how many of them we can save. I hope the answer is all of them.

They go back to looking at the plans and I can occasionally hear a murmured joke about where they're going to put the swimming pool and sauna and so forth. Jack touches my arm, two of his fingers light against my skin.

"I just realised something." He whispers, his breath, stirring against my cheek. I arch my eyebrows in question. "All societies need rules, ours does too. The old earth rules don't really fit now, we'll have to make up new ones." A short laugh escapes my lips as I think about the rules that Jack would want. Things like making hockey the compulsory national sport. He realises what I'm thinking and pretends to be hurt. "I'm serious Sam." He says, "And since we'll have people of different religions and backgrounds they'll have to cover a lot of areas."

We trade ideas for awhile, polluting will cost you some community service for quite awhile, men and women will be equal, thieves will also be forced to do community service, for the person they stole from. We've decided not to have a jail so they'll have to be punished in other ways. Jack asks what we'll do to cold blooded murderers, rapists, and other such scumbags. Daniel, who's been eavesdropping has an idea.

"Send them to the goa'uld, I can guarantee that just the threat will make your crime rate drop." We nod solemnly, every colony is bound to have problems, ours will probably be no exception. We haven't worked out how to safeguard the gate yet. Maybe we could rig up something like the iris.

A young Tok'ra, I think her name is Sea'nan comes to the doorway and knocks sharply. Turning around, Jack nods at her.

"The council requests your presence at a formal meeting tomorrow to examine plans of rescue." We nod and she leaves, maybe things are finally moving along. Maybe this is it.



**********

Jacob /and Selmak/



Some people might say that I've lead an eventful life: I've fought battles for my country, fallen in love, helped create two beautiful children, had my wife die, gotten cancer and gotten a worm in my head.

No offense, Selmak.

/None taken/

Good, it's bad when a part of yourself is mad at you. I guess I'm lucky though, I can talk to myself and expect an answer back without being considered crazy.

/Of course you are lucky to have me./

Before SG1 go off to save their friends with a little Tok'ra help they've got to wait for Sam's ankle to heal, and that should be done by tomorrow. Even with all the Tok'ra's medical advances, it still takes a few days.

/We are not miracle workers, Jacob. These things do not happen instantaneously./

Close enough, though. Meanwhile, temporary accommodation has been built for the earthlings on HAFH and I've just watched Sea'nan step through the 'gate to go and get them.

/Rather promising girl, her symbiote is quite nice too./

I certainly think so. I walk aimlessly, passing what SG1 calls their 'war room'. This is where they make their plans and relax. None of them are there at the moment, they must have gone to bed.

Sam's ankle, as I said before, is much better now but not so much that she doesn't need to lean on Jack when she walks. He insists of course.

/They are really starting to annoy me, why do they not just 'get on with it'./

One good thing about Selmak is her enthusiasm in learning earth phrases. I have to admit, it makes me laugh most of the time. With other Tok'ra she's as 'goa'uld' as they come, with me, however, she speaks like a...

/Bite me Jacob./

Would if I could Selmak. Being with the Tok'ra has loosened me up a lot. I no longer see any sense in the old rules and regulations. The first time that I met Jack O'Neill, I was a bit wary of him. He was sarcastic, I knew he didn't stick to the rules and he looked at my daughter in a way I wasn't sure that I liked, especially since he was her commanding officer. But now I don't give a damn about regulations, Jack is a good man and if there's one thing that I'm sure of it's that he could make my daughter truly happy.

But damn it, have either of them done anything about it?

/No, they have not. When they are not on the battlefield they are jer'sat./

Direct translation? Stupid, cowardly people. But I've tried to discuss their relationship with both of them before. Sam's always evasive and Jack always finds an excuse to be elsewhere. But not tonight, SG1 must have just left their room because I watch Jack walk Sam to her chambers. After a goodnight and some sort of joke that elicits a short laugh from her, he walks off.

/What ever happened to a goodnight kiss?/

You've got that right! I knock on the door to Jack's chamber and he opens it, as soon as he sees me a weariness edging on panic comes onto his face.

"Uh Jacob, I was just about to go to sleep, can this wait till morning?"

/No he was not, he was going to 'mope' over your daughter for at least an hour and then go to sleep. Do not let him get away with it, force your way in if you have to./

Trust me Selmak, I intend to.

"No Jack, I think I'd prefer to talk to you now if that's no trouble."

He hesitates, emotions warring behind a closed face then opens the door fully and waves me in. "I'd offer you a drink but I don't exactly have an open bar here." He's trying to lighten the mood and he's really nervous. "No offense Selmak, the facilities are great." He adds hastily.

"None taken." Even after all this time, it's strange to hear words coming out of my mouth that aren't mine.

/Well there is not exactly another way it can be done./

I decide to get straight to the point. "Jack, I've actually come to speak with you for a reason." He looks as nervous as a boy picking his prom date up and having to talk to the father.

/How cute./

He waits for me to continue, he's not going to hurry this.

/Of course not, he is scared./

Scared of me? Who would have thought it?

/What is that joke you told me? About General's daughter's?/

Not now Selmak.

"I wanted to know how you think Sam is coping with the situation?" I start, I see him breathe a sigh of relief. Little does he know, this is just the prelude.

"Sam is strong, stronger than me. She's coping alright and she knows we're all there for her." Ah, there it is, I see it now. The glint in his eye, the fervor when he talks about her, I remember what it was like to care that much about someone.

"I just think that," Okay Jacob, take a deep breath, you can do it. "She would cope a lot better if she knew that you in particular cared." He glances down at his hands, okay, no beating around the bush. "Holy Hannah Jack! I'm an old man, I just want my daughter to be happy and I honestly think that she would be happy with you." This is getting easier. "What are you waiting for? A sign from God? I'm sick of waiting for you two to get your act together." I pause for effect. "And besides, I want grandchildren... ones I can see grow and live." I finish almost as an afterthought, a small burst of grief caressing me as I think of my son and his children. When I look at Jack again, I have to stop the sudden urge to smile, I could swear he is blushing and that reaction is enough to halt the grief. "So what are you waiting for?"

"Jacob, we don't feel that way about..."

"Jack it is obvious to a blind man how you feel about her, you're the most talked about couple on this planet. I'm getting sick of people coming to me to gossip."

"But she doesn't feel that way about me."

Ah, there it is, the thing that he's afraid of. His eyes are slightly sad, he truly thinks that she doesn't want him. I swear, he should be diagnosed as clinically blind.

"Bullshit she doesn't! But she sure as hell isn't going to do something about it, it's up to you to do something! Don't be a coward, tell her how you feel!"

I whirl on my heel and walk out the door, leaving him with a shocked expression I'm sure.

/Jacob, I believe the earth phrase is 'you rule'/

I grin. You said it Selmak.

And the crowd goes wild.



**********

Teal'c



I have lived through many things, tragedies and joys. I have lived through the deaths of false gods and the births of their children. But I have never before lived through a catastrophe as great as this one. The Earth was home to me for awhile, the Tau'ri were great allies. Now we must rebuild our forces.

Today we go to rescue slaves and I hope that we are successful.

Jack O'Neill seems somewhat unsettled and he glances at Samantha Carter a lot. I do not call them by their ranks now, for their military no longer exists. The team of Tok'ra stands behind us with their zat'nik'tels guns ready. SG1 uses zat'nik'tels now too. They are less noisy and do not run out of ammunition.

The Tok'ra sent to retrieve the refugees from earth on the land of light should arrive back with them shortly after we leave. As we prepare to depart I reminisce about the days when General Hammond would give a speech before we left. Jack O'Neill does his best to fill in.

"Okay people, from what the MALP's tell us, the area around the 'gate is clear. However we don't know what sort of a situation we're coming into so keep your eyes open and your guns at the ready. Getting you back alive is our first priority. Rescuing prisoners is our second. Remember, we can always come back for them with a larger force."

He nods briefly then steps back into place between Carter and I. The Stargate roars to life and we step forward, weapons poised. The cold is sharp, and it cuts, but then abruptly it is gone. We tumble out onto a grassy plain with the nearest cover being a hundred metres away. Quickly we jog towards the trees, keeping a watch on the surroundings, no hostiles show themselves. Perhaps we will be lucky this time, perhaps it will be easy to extricate our friends.

Immediately after we exit the shelter of the forest I see that I am wrong.

It is a small camp, but well guarded. There are about fifty people and ten guards. They are cutting down trees, this must be the planet where a System Lord collects their timber from.

Jack O'Neill looks through the binoculars before passing them to Samantha Carter, it is a gesture that is not even thought about. As Samantha Carter squints down the binoculars, Jack O'Neill addresses us in a harsh whisper.

"So do we go in guns blazing or reason with them?" he asks.

If we go in 'guns blazing' as he says we have the element of surprise, however what if we killed those that wished to join us. We decide on reasoning.

I look through the binoculars to see which of our friends I recognise and see Sergeant Siler, Captain Gustav Perelli, Major Des Gilchrist, Lieutenant Fulk and Major Nichols. I do not know the first names of the some, and some I only know by sight. We lever ourselves off the ground and checking that our weapons are in order, we step from cover.

"Throw down your weapons and you won't be hurt!" Jack bellows and I repeat it in the language of the System Lords in case they did not understand it. Evidently, they did not for they open fire. The battle is over soon, one prisoner is dead, not one of ours. A Tok'ra has been shot in the leg but it is healing already. Nine Jaffa lie dead, so where is the tenth? Jack O'Neill is thinking the same thing as I but he shakes his head, hopefully he has run away.

"Let's get these people out!" he yells.

"What about the others?" Samantha Carter asks and he thinks before replying.

"They can come if they want but we have got to go."

We set out, leading them towards the Stargate. O'Neill is waving the last stragglers, who carry the staff weapons of the Jaffa so that they can be used again. Then it happens, the remaining Jaffa comes over the hill and raises his staff weapon at Jack O'Neill. Samantha Carter's shout is the only thing that saves him and the blast only grazes his shoulder. Jack O'Neill struggles to get up, his damaged arm reaching for his weapon but it will be too late. I raise my staff weapon, knowing I will be too late. Surely it will not end like this. I pray that I might save him.

I see Samantha Carter begin to run towards him, her weapon raised as Daniel Jackson stands helpless to do anything, knowing we will all be too late. Then we hear a blast and the Jaffa topples over, and Samantha Carter skids to a halt beside O'Neill clutching his hand to reassure herself as much as him that he is alive. Her face plainly says that she now truly realises that she could lose him.

We all look up to see who has saved Jack O'Neill. Sergeant Siler, who I always thought would not so much as hurt a flying insect, stands with the staff weapon in his hands, they are shaking.

"No more." he whispers. "I won't cut down any more trees."

I see now that he has changed as much as we have.



**********

Sam



Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out.

The rescue was nearly a disaster. We should have guarded more carefully against that happening! And Jack, I nearly lost Jack. I sit through debriefing impatiently, I really need to talk to Jack. Damn being safe and cautious! As Daniel would say 'Carpe Diem', seize the day! I'm gonna seize the day and grab it so tight that it can barely breathe.

Meanwhile, Makepeace reports on the readiness of earth's survivors to work. "With the exception of only a few, the survivors are ready to help. Their time on the land of light did them good. They're recuperated and ready to go."

Jack nods, as usual these days he's presiding over the proceedings, and as usual also I'm seated at his right hand side. I guess we've gotten into a rut.

"Do they trust us?" Jack asks Makepeace "And do they trust the Tok'ra?"

Makepeace nods. "They're grateful to us for saving them and the Tok'ra contact that was sent made a really big impression on everyone."

Is that a blush I see? I'm going to have to look into that.

The meeting ends and Jack gets up, wincing slightly as his shoulder strains. It's already healing because of the technology the Tok'ra have but it still has to be bandaged. I follow him and when he gets to his quarters I speak up.

"Jack," I say, making him jump.

"I didn't realise you were there Sam." He says.

I smile hesitantly, I'm not feeling so brave as before but there's no way I'm backing out of this. If I don't do it now then I never will. "Can I come in?" I ask and he stands aside to let me in.

There's only a bed to sit on, these are temporary quarters after all, and they only have a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a really tiny bathroom. Luckily the door locks and I lock it before sitting down on the bed. Jack gives me a strange look but doesn't say anything and sits down next to me, so close that his jacket brushes my arms and I can smell his hair. I close my eyes, needing to balance myself, ground myself.

"Are you alright?" he asks me, sounding concerned.

"No," I say with my eyes still closed "I'm not okay." He remains silent, waiting for me to say what I will. "You nearly died today." I state, opening my eyes. I tilt my head sideways so that his brown eyes are peering into mine. He opens his mouth to speak and I stop him by shaking my head and putting a finger to his lips. I trail it along his mouth, down his cheek and let it drop to the bedside. "The point is," I continue. "You nearly died and that is definitely not okay with me." I gaze intently at him. "If you had died, a lot would have remained unsaid and I don't want it to be left unsaid."

I sit there and wait for him to reply. Maybe I've done the wrong thing, maybe he doesn't think about me in this way. He silences my thoughts with two words.

"Oh Sam," he breathes. With one hand he captures the one that fell to the bed, smoothing his thumb over our entwined fingers, with the other he lets his fingers graze my cheek. I lean into his touch, my eyes abruptly filled with tears. "Oh Sam," he repeats as his hand falls to my shoulder. "Sam," he breathes onto my skin as he trails butterfly kisses down my neck, his lips feather light and making me shiver.

"Jack," I say, my hand combing through his hair as it snakes round the back of his neck. "We may die tomorrow, I don't want to leave this life without... without..."

His mouth hovers poised in front of mine, he draws my hand to his chest, placing it over his heart. I can feel that it's beating as erratically as mine.

"Sam," he states simply, "It's yours."

My stomach tumbles down and my heart leaps up and I guide his hand to my heart, tears sparkling in my eyes as I repeat the gesture. His mouth darts forward, capturing mine, his lips in turn soft and demanding as he uses one hand to cup my breast and the other to reach behind my back and pull me closer.

I can feel the heat of his hands even through my shirt and I know mine are just as insistent as his mouth stays glued to mine. Too many clothes, I think suddenly, we're wearing too many clothes. As if sensing my thoughts he tugs at the bottom of my t-shirt, I relinquish his mouth only so that I can lift my arms and have it pulled over my head.

Stopping to look at me, his breath catches in his throat. I think that that's the best compliment I've ever received. I'm hot, feverish in fact and I make my hands busy with helping him get rid of his clothes.

"No matter what," he says raggedly "We don't stop until we pass out."

"Agreed." I say, before pulling his mouth back to mine, my kisses bruising his lips. We deserve this, this is the happiness we've been waiting for.

Much later, before we do pass out, he murmurs that he loves me into my hair.

"Love you too." I mumble into his chest, my eyelids drooping. His arm tightens around me and I think to myself that if I wasn't so tired I'd stay awake to bask in this feeling, this happiness.



**********

Jack



I wake up to warmth, curled around Sam's body. My arms are around her waist, legs entwined with hers, her hair waving in front of my eyes. I take a deep breath to remind myself that this isn't a dream, taking in the scent of her skin and hair. Then I'm reminded of what woke me up.

As the knocking at my door continues, I think about putting a pillow over my head and ignoring it but I don't think even that would work. Groaning, I briefly stop to kiss Sam's shoulder and smile when I hear her murmur my name and turn over. I get up, tugging my pants on and picking my t-shirt off the ground, shrugging it over my head as I open the door a crack.

Daniel is standing outside. "Hi Jack! Can I come in? I was just about to talk to you about..." I open the door, quickly walk out and shut it before he can get a look inside. I'm not ashamed, but I'd like the chance to enjoy some time with Sam before we get gossiped about by the whole Tok'ra community. "Why are you coming out?" he asks "Can't we talk inside?"

Damnit, I shouldn't have opened the door. "Ah no Daniel, we can talk out here can't we?"

His eyes narrow. "Jack why don't you want me in your room?"

"It's um, really dirty, clothes thrown all over the place." It's not a lie... honest.

"You've got someone in there haven't you?" This time his tone is accusatory. "You've hooked up with one of the Tok'ra or a survivor. I honestly thought that you felt something for Sam but if you're going to just have some meaningless one night stand with a complete stranger then you don't deserve her!"

Uh oh. Okay Jack, choose now. Either give up your privacy or have Daniel give you the silent treatment for a month. Sighing, I open the door, checking to see that the sheet covers Sam. I motion to Daniel to look.

"She wasn't a stranger, it definitely wasn't meaningless and," I pause for effect "I definitely hope that it'll be for more than one night."

Daniel's mouth forms an 'O' "Well, ah, sorry and I'll, ah, leave you guys alone." He says as he turns to go. "Congratulations and ah, there's a meeting in half an hour." He adds almost as an afterthought.

Smiling I shake my head and go back inside. Sam is sprawled out under the covers, her hand flung over the edge. I sit on the edge of the bed and watch her, smiling. I shake my head, trying to dismiss the thoughts that tell me to just ignore the rising sun and go back to bed. I lightly shake Sam's shoulder and she raises one arm and slaps at me ineffectively. I slip to the floor and crouch in front of her, using one hand to lift a strand of hair from her face. I lean forward and press my lips to hers softly. After a few light one-sided kisses she begins to kiss me back. When she opens her eyes I pull back, sitting on my heels.

"Hey." I say

"Hey." She replies. Then she looks at me suspiciously. "Why are you dressed and not in bed?" she asks.

I sigh "Daniel woke me up about five minutes ago." I tell her.

"Daniel?" she says, her tone speculative.

"Yeah, he came to tell me about the meeting that's on in half an hour. He sort of knows now."

Sam grimaces. "Great, now we don't even get one gossip free day! Daniel will tell Teal'c and Janet and then the other SG members will find out..." She trails off and sighs. "Meeting huh?"

She gets up suddenly, letting the sheet drop and walking to the washing chamber. I let my eyes trail her progress before getting off the floor. I guess life isn't going to wait for us just so that we can laze around. She calls to me to get her some fresh clothes and I leave to get some from her room. I guess we'll have to make do with what we're given.

Sam and I appear in the 'briefing room' right on time. I guide her in with a hand on her elbow and she looks up at me and smiles, melting my heart. My fears don't seem to have been justified, no one gives us any suspicious or congratulatory looks, in fact they seem to be giving us the same 'why don't they get on with it' looks. Not that Teal'c would notice, he's too busy being happy that his wife and son are back from the land of light. I'll have to thank Daniel when the meeting is over, he seems to have finally realised the meaning of privacy.

We've held off this meeting until Makepeace and the team that took the survivors to the land of the light came back, since I was sure that he'd be interested. We're going to be sending a team to Earth to look for survivors, so every single SGC member is here. We want people to volunteer, not be ordered to go. The Tok'ra have some really sweet vehicles that can take the team to major cities quickly. Now we just need the team. A few days ago Sam, Danny, Teal'c and I decided that we wouldn't go on the first mission, we've got too much to do here.

We outline the plan, saying that ideally the team would have between five to ten members. We tell them that this won't be the only mission so if they miss out then they can go on another one. We also tell them that no one really expects them to go, that it's their choice.

Seven people stand, six are personnel, the seventh is our Tok'ra representative, she sits in on all the meetings.

"The Tok'ra believe that it would be beneficial to have one of us on the team." Sea'nan says. "I volunteer."

I nod at them, Makepeace, Chris from his team, Gilchrist although she only just came back, Janet stands also because we'll need a healer, Lieutenant Timothy Byron and Captain Matthew Greenaway. I have to say that I approve, they're all good soldiers.

I let my foot twine with Sam's under the table after this, and the rest of the meeting is pure formality. I'm getting better and better at this stuff. Suddenly a Tok'ra comes into the room.

"O'Neill." he addresses me. "You're urgently wanted by the Tok'ra council." I get up, signaling Sam with a look that says I want her to come with me. She's my second in command and I rely on her a lot.

"Daniel, Teal'c, I assume you can chair this meeting?" Not waiting for an answer, I walk out, Sam following. I allow my fingertips to brush hers as we walk down the hall but when we arrive at the council's room we're all business. Jacob has a look on his face that says this has a potential to be something good.

Then Garshaw hands me something wrapped in cloth. "Yesterday, the gate was activated and when we went to investigate we found this."

I open the cloth, there are two items, a patch from SG-2 and a ribbon. My mind swings to all the information about who was split up with who. I realise that the patch must be Feretti's and that the ribbon is Cassie's. Feretti, one of my friends, Cassie, who was like a daughter. Simmons will also be there, I can't recall anyone else right now. Turning the patch over, I realise there are symbols written on the back.

I take Sam's hand, not caring who's watching us. She crushes mine in a fierce grip. I thank the Tok'ra council and we head back to the briefing room. We have a mission to plan.



**********

Cassie



It's nearly pitch dark in here but I don't care, there's still some light filtering in between the bars on the windows, enough to let me see some details. And since there's not really much to see right now, I'm not that bothered. I've accomplished my goal and that's what's important. Even if it does mean that I'm locked up.

Feretti wanted to be the one to send the patch and ribbon through but I argued that it should be me because I'd receive the least punishment. Caroline got into the argument too, saying that she wouldn't be punished as much as one of the guys either. Even Graham Simmons tried to talk me out of it. But I was determined, and eventually I managed to talk them into letting me go. I needed to convince them instead of just taking off because I didn't know the co-ordinates of the Tok'ra planet. They were the only people we could be sure of getting help from. We just have to hope that they haven't moved on since we last saw them.

It took me two days and a bit to get to the gate and back. When I arrived back I made sure my clothes were extra dirty and torn and I stumbled in repenting and weeping about how hard life was away from this marvelous safe haven. It was almost too easy. They didn't even beat me.

So I sit and wait, in the dark. It's a stone cell mostly under ground level so it's cold too. The others have been sneaking me food for the last three days. I think I'm supposed to be starving, too bad that since I'm the baby of the group they like to look after me. I guess I couldn't have asked for better fellow prisoners. But I miss Mum and Sam and Jack and Daniel and Teal'c so much. I'd like to see them more than anything else. If this works then maybe I will.

It's late in the afternoon when I hear the shouts and someone comes running down the stairs. "Cassandra!" a maid, not one of ours, exclaims. "We're being attacked!" Mariette is nice and only a few years older than me. "I thought surely I should set you free since they're liberating the slaves."

"Mariette, this is very important, what do these people look like?" I ask her. Please let it be SG-1 or the Tok'ra, please let it be SG-1 or the Tok'ra.

"Well they're right strange people Cassandra, all dressed in pants and jackets, even the women. I spotted at least one woman with short hair!" She says it like it scandalises her and I resist the urge to laugh.

"Mariette, these people have come to set my friends and I free. If you come with us you won't have to serve anyone ever again." I know that maybe it's unwise of me to ask but I have to, she's been a friend to me.

"You mean I wouldn't have to work for fifteen years first?" she asks suspiciously. I nod. "That sounds good Cassandra." She says thoughtfully. "I think I will go with you." We leave the cell, going carefully up the winding stairs until we come face to face with...

"Teal'c!" I yell, throwing my arms around him, he looks a bit uneasy but gives me a short hug back.

"It is good to see that you are well and unharmed Cassandra." He says in that monotone voice that I'm so used to. The actual fighting is over and I can see they've rounded up my fellow exilees from the other manors.

"Cassie!" Sam greets me with a ferocious hug, followed by Jack and Daniel who come over from their conversation with Feretti. When we've finished rejoicing at the fact that we're all together again and I've greeted the other previously rescued personnel who came on the mission Jack starts to look a bit anxious.

"Okay, now we're all here we'd better move out." He turns to go and everyone follows, managing to keep their guns trained on our ex-masters.

"Wait!" I call out "What if some of the slaves want to go with us?" Jack shrugs.

"Okay, round em up. Just as long as they can travel fast." I send Mariette to gather the slaves from wherever they're huddling in fear. She comes back with eleven more. "Okay, now let's move out!" he calls and we set off at a brisk pace.

A few hours later, it's fully dark and we're moving by the light of some Tok'ra devices. We're going to rest during the day and travel at night so we can avoid attention. Finally, as the sun rises above the horizon, we stop in a patch of trees and tall grass. We wait for the area to be proclaimed secure and then we sink down into the grass, exhausted. Some of the slaves probably regret coming. Caroline offers to stand guard and Feretti, Teal'c and a Tok'ra called Mi'kasha volunteer to watch after her. Jack nods tiredly and sinks down to the ground with the rest of us, lying next to Sam so that there's no space between them. Half asleep, she snuggles further into his embrace. I see Feretti's raised eyebrows and we grin each other. I smother my giggles so as not to wake anyone up. It's about time too! I was wondering when they'd get their act together. I'll have to try and dig some of the details out of Sam later.

As I drift off to sleep, I think of Janet, my mother. On the hike here, Sam told me that she would be waiting for me when I got back. I can't wait to see her, I've missed her a lot.

I wake up before most other people, in the late afternoon. Judging by how long it took me to get to the Stargate last time, we've got about a two hour hike ahead of us. I open my eyes to see Sam and Jack, they're awake too, and kissing quite passionately. I clear my throat and they jump apart guiltily.

"Ah, Cassie, you're awake." Jack says, looking quite embarrassed. I just smile at them.

"How long before we get going again?" I ask, eager to get to the Stargate.

"A couple of hours." He replies. "I think I'll go see if Mi'kasha needs to get some sleep." He scurries off so fast I hardly see him go.

"Sorry Sam," I say with an apologetic grin. "I didn't mean to spoil your afternoon." She laughs and ruffles my hair. "So how long has this been going on?" I'd like to know exactly how long it took them.

"About four days now." Sam looks a bit embarrassed.

"Only four days?" I'm disgusted. "You were gone six moths before they came and you've only been together four days?" I sigh, they wasted a lot of time. If I was them I would have gotten together as soon as the wormhole connecting them to the SGC closed.

"It just took a little time to realise we loved each other." She says defensively.

"So what have you guys been doing lately?" I say, happy to let the subject rest for the moment. Sam begins to tell me everything and Jack comes back, sits next to her and puts his arm around her almost possessively while filling in anything she leaves out.

As the sun sinks below the hills, we wake everyone up and set off. Around one and a half hours later we arrive at the gate and dial the Tok'ra home world. We step through the gate and onto a sandy surface the rings quickly come up to meet us.

As we step into the tunnels Mum comes running up and we throw our arms around each other, laughing. Now everything is right.



**********

Makepeace



We've been here around a week or so. It took only a day and a half to get to the city. My people and I are more or less unharmed, we just happen to be captives of a psychotic madman. We should've known that this would happen. That there would be some nutcases out there with guns, ready to impose their idea of order on the rest of the survivors after the disaster. I guess we should've gone over the worse case scenarios a bit more.

So around a week ago, the original volunteers, except Frasier who decided to stay behind with Cassie, set out to help the people of earth. We've got another medic to replace Doc Frasier, one called Michelle. Her and the other medic, Byron, have been very busy since we got here.

Even though our local dictator, a guy called Spears, is strict, he still allows the people under his rule to be treated. I guess if they all died then he'd have no one left to terrorize. The people don't complain too much though, one man told me that there were far worse people than Spears out there. People who'll kill you as soon as look at you. I guess we've slipped back into feudalism. The strong protect the weak from outside forces and in return the strong get to do whatever the hell they want to the weak.

The people were nervous at first, refusing to believe our stories of a better place. But we're slowly changing their minds. The medic's healing them has helped to gain their trust a lot too. And I know that a lot of the women would be ecstatic to leave. Spears and his bully boys have some problems with respecting unmarried women's rights. For this reason all the women on our team are 'married'. Michelle is with Chris, Des is with Greenaway and Sea'nan...well she's with me. And if someone so much as touches a hair on any of their heads then I'll personally kill them.

All married couples have separate sleeping places and right now I'm doing my best to think pure thoughts while Sea'nan and I are in ours.

"Robert," she whispers; Sea'nan always uses my first name, but her symbiote always calls me Makepeace for some reason. "I talked to the women today," she continues "They're all ready to leave tomorrow and about three quarters of the men want to go as well. It's lucky we're leaving before Spears gets sick of asking where we came from and starts torturing us for the answer instead and it'll be a few days at least before a rescue party turns up." Our escape will have to be tomorrow.

"Robert," she says. "We might die tomorrow." I nod, not sure if she can see me in the dark. But she's right, we might die tomorrow. But as much as I like her I know we can't do anything... not tonight. I wrap my arms around her, concentrating on her warmth and for tonight, it's enough.

We wake early the next morning and I tuck the knife that I stole into the back of my pants and pray that this goes okay. If it doesn't go okay then it's going to go very badly. And I don't want that. I kiss Sea'nan on the cheek and walk away from our area, making it seem like I'm going to the very far away place Spears assigned me to work in today. I know why he wants me gone and I'd like to kill the son of a bitch for it. I check to see if he's watching then continue to walk away. Sure enough, he walks towards our place.

I run back quickly and find him struggling with Sea'nan. I pull him back sharply, sticking the knife to his throat. "I'd kill you if we didn't need you to get out of here." I whisper in his ear. Spears laughs.

"You wouldn't dare." He says and just to show I would, I tighten my grip a little bit more and let some blood flow. He gulps. We walk outside and immediately the guns start to focus on me. Some of his guards yell to see if he's okay.

"Wake everyone up right now!" I yell at one and he fires his gun in the air, a signal that everyone should assemble. The people pour out of the places they share, and when they see us some sob with relief. "Get your things." I say tersely, then nod to my team. They immediately disarm some of the guards. The people hurry back to get their packs and everyone is ready in a few minutes.

"You can't do this!" Spears yells. "This is treason!" I laugh.

"My friends have killed gods. All yours have done is hurt these people, I think we can do it."

We leave, my knife still at Spears' throat. It takes us a long time but eventually we make it to the remains of Colorado Springs. We camp in an abandoned building and I tie Spears up. He looks a bit fearful now.

"What will you do with me?" he asks.

"In the morning we'll move on and leave you here - untied."

"Where are you going?" he asks and I walk away without giving him an answer. I wonder what he was before, a dentist, a postman?

I walk to the entrance to do sentry duty and Sea'nan comes up behind me. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not an emotional guy. But I really do like Sea'nan. In fact, I'm probably in love with her. She's pretty, intelligent, brave and understands me... and she's got a worm in my head. That's the only thing stopping me I guess.

"Do you think they followed us?" she asks. I shake my head, we kept an eye out and didn't see anyone. "You did a good job today." She says and squeezes my hand before walking off.

We leave early because it might take all day to get there, I remember how long it took to evacuate the people of Colorado Springs. Luckily, the people are used to hard work and walking. We arrive at dusk and power up the light sources that the Tok'ra gave us. We make our way down to the gate room. Now comes the hard part, explaining all of this.

Surprisingly, the people take the news that we're going to another planet rather well. One woman pretty much sums it up when she says "Anywhere is better than here." I step through the gate first, leaving Gilchrist and Greenaway to bring up the rear. The dizzying journey to the HAFH where we were told to go leaves many of them coughing and awestruck.

Jack O'Neill pushes to the front of the crowd, his hand entwined with Carter's.

"What took you guys so long?" he asks "We were just about to send out a search party."

We grin at each other. I guess it's good to be....

Home.



**********

Sam



We've been settled for nearly four months. Everyone has a place to live now, even if most of them are temporary and look like they'll fall down. Mine and Jack's house is fairly sturdy and on the outskirts of town so we can get some privacy. It still needs some work but at least it won't fall down with a gust of wind like some of the others threaten to do. All our friends are close by too, we've sort of claimed this 'suburb'.

We've been on a lot of rescues since we settled here and about two weeks ago, after a particularly hard one, Jack sat down on the bed and motioned me to sit down too. He took my hands and looked at me seriously.

"Sam," he said. "I'm getting too old for this." I was shocked, it's not as if he's falling apart physically, and I should know. I never thought that he'd voluntarily retire, I thought that when the time came I'd have to drag him away from the job. "They've offered me the place of a sort of 'head of commands' and I think I'll take it." I was stunned for only a second more and then I smiled.

"As long as you're happy then I'm happy for you." He gripped my hands even harder then.

"That's not all Sam, I..." he shook his head suddenly and when he met my eyes again they were filled with purpose. "We've got a great new world here, just started and I can safely say that on any world, in any universe that you are the only woman I will ever want. I want to build a proper house, grow vegetables, have children with you and raise them right. I want to spend every single second of my life with you and I know that's not possible but I'd like to spend every bit that I can. Sam," he finishes "Marry me."

I didn't even have to think about my answer.

"Yes." I said immediately.

"Yes?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes and wow and yes again."

"Sam you have made me the happiest man alive." He seizes me and plants small kisses all over my face as he dances me around the house while I giggle like a schoolgirl.

"Come on!" I say "Let's tell someone!" We run out of the house and down the rough road.

"Teal'c!" Jack calls as we enter his house and see him with Dre'ac and Rya'c. "Sam says she'll marry me!"

Teal'c smiles, a big warm smile like nothing I've ever seen on his face. "Congratulations O'Neill and Carter, I know you will be very happy." He enfolds us both in a big hug and I nearly can't breathe but I hug him back just as tight. After Dre'ac has congratulated us we leave to tell Daniel.

"I always knew this would happen." He says matter of factly after the congratulations are over.

"Knew what? That our planet would be destroyed and we'd end up on another one, about to get married?"

"Don't be ridiculous." Daniel snorts "But I did know that you'd end up together from the first day I saw you together." Jack laughs and they launch into a did/did not discussion until I drag Jack away so that we can tell Janet and Cassie. Janet is ecstatic, Cassie says that it was about time. Then we all went out and basked in the sunshine and our happiness.

Now two weeks have passed and it's my wedding day. I'm a bit nervous, not that Jack will run off or anything but just nervous. My dress is simple, a plain cream shift tied at the waist with a blue sash, simple sandals on my feet and flowers in my hair. Janet says I look radiant, I hope she's right.

"Alright Sam! Time to go!" Cassie calls and I stand up, letting her lead me to the dais set up in the giant field. I think I'm the first woman in a long time who can honestly say that the whole planet came to her wedding, and at least half of the Tok'ra besides.

I see Jack and smile, he's wearing simple woven pants, shirt and sandals like me. He grins back at me and my heart misses a beat. I join him on the dais and he whispers "You look beautiful" before saying in a slightly louder voice "Let's get married!"

It's a bit of a strange wedding compared to what would happen back home but since we have no priests or other religious figures we, well, marry ourselves. Our official witnesses beam with pride on the dais behind us as Jack starts.

"I, Jack O'Neill, vow that for all the days of my life I will love, honour and care for Samantha Carter. I will also do the same for any children we have. What is mine is hers and she has my heart for life." I repeat his words surely and just as loudly and when I'm done, Teal'c asks the official witnesses if they witness our words.

"We witness." They reply. Then he turns to the crowd.

"Do you witness this?" he asks and they roar their approval. Jack slips a ring onto my finger and I slip one onto his then he sweeps me into his arms and kisses me. If it's possible, the crowd roars even louder. We're popular on this planet, we did manage to save most of these people after all. We step back to the official witnesses and hug them and my father, who looks as proud as a father can.

"Okay, feast!" Daniel yells and there are more cheers. We take our places at the table of honour and listen patiently as our friends tell stories about us. After Makepeace tells of how I went back for Jack all by myself on Hathor's planet, Feretti, who is the only other one remaining who was there, tells how we met.

"And then... she offered to arm wrestle him!" This is met by a lot of laughter and Jack raises my hand to his lips, kissing it gently.

"I would've let you win, you know." He says.

I slap him playfully. "I would've won anyway."

I want to tell him that I've been thinking about retiring too, that the teams don't really need me and I'd like to start raising a family... but then suddenly the dancing begins and I realise that that conversation can wait. We dance by firelight, someone playing on a guitar they've made with practically the whole crowd singing along to old earth lyrics. It's like a giant karaoke session and when it ends Jack drags me off to bed and just like the first night, we make love until we pass out.

If someone had told me that this was what would happen when I first entered the SGC, I would've told them they were crazy and sent them off to a padded cell, now I just know that this is how I want to spend the rest of my life.

At home... with Jack.



**********

Cassie



It's hard to believe that around twelve years ago, the second planet that had been my home was invaded. It's hard to remember now, when I look around HAFH, that anywhere but here was ever home. That's right, it's still called HAFH. In Jack's words, "It's a dumbass name for a planet but what else are we going to call it? Not Earth 2, look what happened to them."

Lots of things have changed since we first arrived here. Our civilisation is now fully set up, and we even have three towns now instead of one. All of the rules made by the council are strictly obeyed, even the environmental ones. With a rule like 'If you make a mess you have to clean it up' who's going to litter? In twelve years we've only had three murders, one self defense and one attempted rape. The self defense case got to stay, the murders and attempted rape were banished. If they come back through the gate, they'll just be sent right back.

All SGC personnel are now accounted for and all but a very few were recovered alive. Surprisingly, not one SGC member has moved from the first town, called Hammond to honour the general who died bravely.

We have a military organisation sort of like the SGC who also polices HAFH. We're still exploring planets and even have trade agreements set up with some friendly aliens. I'm enjoying my work, exploring the planets, even if my gorgeous CO is driving me to distraction. He's only five years older than me and was just an airman when the goa'uld attacked. He can really be a pain in the ass sometimes though.

My mom, Janet, finally remarried about seven years ago to a former major, which wasn't too surprising. A lot of personnel got married to other personnel in the proceeding months and years after we came here. Makepeace, uneasy with his love for a Tok'ra decided that there was only one way he'd ever understand her. So he became a Tok'ra host. Who would have thought? He's changed a lot since I first met him, though Jack still reckons that the marine is a marine is a... I won't repeat the rest. Jack doesn't really mind him though. I think they have fun arguing about whether the airforce or the marines were better.

Teal'c is happy and still working on freeing his people. Bra'tac is still based on Chulak but he comes to HAFH just about every chance he can get. Daniel, well Daniel got Sha're back. She had to become a Tok'ra so her immune system didn't fail. So did Ska'raa. But the main thing was that they were back and Daniel has never been happier.

Sam and Jack are fine too, in fact they're more than fine. They're happily married with kids. I guess they took it upon themselves to repopulate the planet. They have three boys and two girls.

Sam told me yesterday about the time they went to 1969 and how, when they tried to get home they ended up in the future and I helped them. We don't even have that kind of technology yet, although some of the scientists are set up in labs back at the old SGC. She wouldn't tell me what I said, only warned me that sometimes you can't change the past.

I wonder what I will say to them, so many years in the future and yet the past as well. I can't tell them about the goa'uld attack. Who would believe them when they got back? Not the high bigwigs. And what if SG1 decided to stay on earth instead of leaving? If that happens, then maybe none of us would have ever gotten free. Maybe we would have died in slavery. Our home here, on HAPH, would never have happened.

I think that when I see them, I'll simply tell them the truth...

Their adventures are just beginning.



FINISH FINIS THE END DIE ENDE



End Notes: Notes: First of all, thank you to all of you who took the time to read this to the end. The biggest thanks in the whole entire world goes to my beta reader Ness, without her this story wouldn't have been nearly as good. Also, lots of thanks to everyone who sent me feedback, it kept me going. I know this was a strange idea for a story, I was quite nervous about posting it because I didn't know how people would respond. Luckily you all seemed to understand. I used the bit from 1969 because it just stuck in my head. When I saw the episode I asked myself, what did she mean by 'their adventures are just beginning?' then I changed it to fit my story. So Thankyou for reading :)