samandjack.net



******



Hot, and the room smelled... Pain. Can't move. Wrists tied, arms lifted above. Darkness. Coughing. That's bad... more pain... OK... no more coughing. What happened? God it hurts... anything broken? Can't tell... thirsty. Arms going numb, body going numb - good, numb is very good... considering. Footsteps. Why are they so terrifying? What the hell happened? Pain.

Footsteps stopped outside the door, voices now, "If we have to destroy every last woman to win this civil war... we will!"

She remembered now, and steeled herself to face her tormentors, as the events of the last two days played across her mind.



******



"Well, isn't this interesting?" Jack commented as the team found themselves greeted by a group of men dressed in long flowing robes of assorted beautiful colors.

Daniel stepped forward, hand extended in greeting, "Hello! We are explorers! From Earth."

One of the men, Jack assumed to be their leader, stepped forward in response, "Have you any women among you?"

Jack shot a quick glance at Sam, as she zipped up her jacket and squared her shoulders - trying to appear a bit taller. They'd run into situations like this before, where the men of other planets were interested in trading for or simply taking women. Bells went off in his head; this wasn't a safe place to poke around, at least not for Carter. "Um, no! We don't have any women with us. Why do you ask?"

The man looked carefully at each team member's face, "If you have no women with you, then you are of no help to us... you may as well leave."

"OK by me!" Jack answered. "Daniel, you heard the man, let's get going home... now!"

Daniel raised his brow as if he were going to question Jack, but thought better of it and moved to the DHD. "It's gonna take a minute for me to figure out the symbols."

One of the men turned to leave the rest of the group, "I must go tell our leader of your presence here."

"Nope! Bad idea!" Jack snapped back at him, raising his gun. Teal'c and Sam readied their weapons as well.

Daniel simply couldn't hold back any longer, "Jack, they don't appear to be a threat to us. I don't understand why you're so on edge. After all, they told us we could leave."

The first man to approach the team again spoke, "I am called Mol. I hope it is not your intention to harm us. We were only hoping you had a woman among you to help us, to protect us. Now we see you carry weapons? Most unusual for a man to do! Please, do not harm us!"

"I must agree, O'Neill, they do not appear to be a threat to us," Teal'c chimed in.

Sam was feeling much more relaxed, intrigued in fact at Mol's statement. She stepped cautiously forward, lowering her weapon, "I am a woman!"

Jack clenched his teeth and glared at her, but now that she'd announced it, there was nothing he could do. He had to admit, this group of men didn't seem to be interested in attacking them.

All of the men became very excited at this news. Mol again spoke for the group, "And so you are! How terrible of me not to notice, but your assistant here was less than truthful." He looked disapprovingly at Jack. "I am amazed you have men with you who know how to use weapons! The ways of others can be very mysterious."

Sam thoroughly enjoyed the look on Jack's face as Mol had referred to him as her "assistant." She thought she might enjoy staying awhile on this planet after all.

The tone of the encounter had changed considerably, as Daniel shifted from his search for symbols to interviewing the men about their culture. "Seems we're invited to their town. They're convinced their leader, someone named Krya, would want to talk with Sam, and they also want to know why we men dress as if prepared for battle!" Then in a lower tone, trying not to let Sam hear, he added to Jack, "They're certain they have something in our size that would be more... comfortable!" He smiled at Jack's facial reaction to this alien custom.

"Seems we have an invitation we can't refuse, eh people?" Jack responded to his team's questioning looks. He waved his hand in a 'ladies first' motion to Sam, and as she stepped forward to lead the group, Mol turned to Jack and smiled his approval.

Daniel whispered to Jack as they brought up the rear of the procession "I have a feeling it would be best if you let Sam take the lead here. Seems to be what's customary..."

Jack didn't even think that deserved a comment, as he continued to walk - ever watchful, toward the town.

Nothing too exciting to note upon arrival at the town center. Nice, well kept homes, appeared to be built of wood. People were everywhere, doing what people in any town on Earth would be doing, they seemed to be shopping, caring for children... pretty mundane stuff. Everyone dressed in long robes - of all imaginable colors. Still it seemed odd...

They ended up at the doorway to a very large home, with two guards at the front gate... two women, dressed in blue fatigues and carrying some kind of unidentifiable weapons. Jack began to feel uneasy and liked the situation less and less. The women allowed Sam to pass without question, as well as the men of the town who had accompanied the group. When Teal'c tried next to enter the house, he was detained.

Jack had tried to tune out most of what Daniel was muttering about the architecture, a church he saw... on and on, until now Daniel's comment registered "Jack, these two women guards are the only women I've seen in the entire town! Except for the small girls that is!"

Jack and Daniel had caught up with Teal'c now. "Daniel Jackson, I am not permitted to enter this home with my staff weapon. It is required that you turn over your weapons as well," Teal'c was clearly not pleased at the prospect of having to surrender his weapon.

"I... think I'll hold onto mine, if you don't mind," Jack addressed the women.

One of them raised her weapon, aiming it squarely at Jack in response, and motioning with her hands for Jack to hand over his gun. She seemed unafraid and somewhat impatient, like a schoolteacher demanding a student hand over his spit ball shooter.

"Uh, Jack... you really don't know what those weapons do... and so far we've been treated just fine! It might be best to just hand it over for now, kind of as a sign of good faith?" Daniel proposed nervously.

Just then, Jack heard Sam's voice from within the house, exploding in laughter. 'At least she's having a good time,' he thought. Against his better judgment, but not having a clearly better alternative, Jack handed over his gun and nodded for Teal'c and Daniel to do the same.

The women nodded their approval and allowed them to pass through the doorway. Jack immediately noted that Sam was seated in a large living room talking excitedly with a group of women. He was relieved that she still had her gun, and seemed to be perfectly fine. Determined to find out exactly what was going on, he began to walk into the room. Several men barred his way and redirected him to a smaller sitting room off to one side, "You really don't want to bother yourself with affairs of state! Come, sit with us and we'll plan the menu and entertainment for tonight... then we'll see what we can do about getting you some decent clothes!"

Jack looked over at Daniel and knew straight away that he would be no help whatsoever. He was forever explaining to Jack that he had to learn how be more "accepting" and blend into new cultures better, and now the archeologist was seriously looking at a rack of silky robes, apparently finding a color that "suited" him! Jack plopped himself into a chair, he was getting quite a headache and had a sinking feeling that he'd have to play along with whatever the game was - as he saw Teal'c donning a very striking chartreuse robe... "Nice," was all he could manage to say with a weak smile.



******



Jack stepped out into the hallway in response to a flurry of activity. He noted a tall woman with jet-black hair walking next to Sam. The other women seemed to walk a few steps behind, according her the place of leadership. Meeting her gaze, Jack moved in front of her, "Why hello! We haven't been introduced! I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill."

Krya looked past him down the hallway, calling out to another of the men, "Why is this man not dressed properly for dinner?"

Sam looked at Jack as he rocked back on his heels and simply shrugged at him. She knew his frustration was mounting.

"I'm really not interested in changing my wardrobe... I'd like to sit down and talk with you, I assume you're the leader in this town?" Jack tried to engage her in a conversation she was clearly not interested in pursuing.

"You stand before me, dressed as you are, wanting to talk to me as a leader? What is it with you? Do you think you're a woman?" Krya asked in a haughty fashion.

Daniel entered the hallway at that remark, just as Sam began to cough - rather than let out a not well-timed laugh. "Yes," Daniel answered her, straight faced, "He's having a problem with gender identity!"

Krya turned a questioning look at Sam, and she responded "No! He's... he's... hopeful... to... ah... one day be able to do things women do...!"

"I'm WHAT?" Jack exploded. "Look, I don't know what the Captain here has told you, but I am in command of this team. We are..." he paused as he realized the women, especially Krya, were reacting with uncontrolled laughter.

Krya turned once again to Sam, "I like him! It is good you've brought men with you who can be so entertaining! Besides a flair for the dramatic, do they do anything else? Sing? Dance perhaps?"

Sam thought for a moment. She really didn't know if any of her teammates were musically inclined.

Daniel volunteered, "I play some guitar, it's a stringed instrument, and I learned to play a kind of flute on Abydos."

Teal'c commented, "I have knowledge of percussion instruments as well."

"There!" Sam offered proudly. "I have quite a talented group!"

"YOU have?" Jack started once again, then decided not to push things. Maybe Daniel was right after all. Sam seemed perfectly comfortable taking lead here, but he'd be damned if he'd be parading around in a silk bathrobe! He swallowed hard, taking a deep breath and blinking slowly, "Yes, Captain... quite a group you command here!"



******



Dinner passed uneventfully. The food was actually quite good, and the entertainment... very amusing. Jack had been persuaded by the others to put on a robe, but he chose one that appeared to be made of burlap - and now he regretted his obstinate decision, as it itched terribly and was far too hot. Excusing himself, he decided to take a stroll outside. He hoped Sam had picked up on his signals over the dinner table and would meet him there. He wanted to know what was going on, as he had noted maps pinned to the living room wall and thought he had heard some of the women discussing battle tactics - but it was always in hushed tones and at a distance from the men.

A vehicle, similar in design to a large truck but operating as if it were a hovercraft, came gliding down the center of the street. Jack stepped into the shadows, secretly observing its approach. A group of heavily armed women descended from the truck and proceeded to surround the house, Jack hid behind some bushes, trying to recall if he'd seen where they'd put his weapon. Noiselessly, they entered the house, and he was powerless to stop them.

Inside, those at the dinner table were drinking a toast to the new visitors, when Teal'c reacted first to the footsteps in the outer hall. "A large number of people are entering this dwelling. I can hear them!"

Krya began to shout a warning, but froze as ten armed women entered the room and surrounded the table. "We have visitors here. They are not involved in the fighting. You must not harm them," she demanded.

"Show them!" one of the women commanded.

Kyra motioned for Daniel and Teal'c to stand.

"Two men? What use have we for men? Sit down!" the angry woman shouted at them. Slowly they complied, each wondering where Jack had gotten off to. "Those are your only visitors?" she searched the faces at the table carefully, stopping at Sam. "Stand up!" she ordered.

Sam rose to a stand. She'd learned the planet was in the midst of a civil war, and had planned to return through the Stargate at first light. It was not safe to travel at night, for fear of ambush, but Krya had assured her they would be safe if they remained in the town that night. Krya was apparently mistaken.

"You are also one of the visitors? What business do you have here?" the woman circled the table menacingly. Enjoying the looks of fear, especially on the men's faces. She stopped at Sam's side, lifting her gun from under her chair.

"I lead a team of explorers, we're on a peaceful mission here," Sam answered, not allowing any fear or worry creep into her voice. "The gun is for self defense only."

"There will never be peace on this wretched planet!" the soldier spit at her, as she aimed her weapon and fired. Sam reacted for an instant, as if surprised, then she collapsed onto the table.

Teal'c rose to defend Carter, as Daniel put a restraining hand on his shoulder. He sat back down, realizing they were at a definite disadvantage.

The invading soldiers rounded up the women of the house, and their weaponry, and marched them outside to the truck, carrying Sam with them, and leaving the men sitting in stunned silence. As the truck drove away, one of the men lamented "All is lost," and he proceeded to weep.



******



Jack knew there'd be nowhere to hide inside the truck, so he began to look frantically around the outside. Underneath? Not likely, fine when it was hovering, like a pancake when it landed. The group around the dinner table meant business and wasn't likely to stay long... He'd fought back the urge to jump through the window when he saw them shoot Carter, and do... exactly what? The image of her shocked expression flashed in his mind as the energy blast hit her. Most likely she's still alive, Jack figured, otherwise they'd not have picked her up. No time left... he could hear them coming. 'Wonder what's under the hood,' he thought as he released a latch and lifted it up. Surprisingly, he found what seemed to be storage space. Diving headfirst inside, he reached up just in time to see the group of captive women being herded toward the vehicle, and softly pulled the hood closed.

He began to sweat in the unbreathably hot and confined space, and it didn't help that his robe was wound mercilessly tight around him. He listened to the voices as the vehicle hummed, pitched and began to move. It was Krya who spoke first, "Is she dead?"

A cold voice answered her, "You know better than that, your sister would have my head!"

"So," Krya responded, "this is all her doing? What happened to cease fire talks?"

The voice continued, full of hatred, "I can't believe you mention cease fire at the same time you bring mercenaries from other worlds to join in battle with you!"

Krya responded angrily "Is that what you think? Well, you can tell my sister for me that she's an arrogant, suspicious fool..." Her words were cut off by a sharp thud.

Jack heard a soft moan and laughter, "If she's feeling kind, you can tell her yourself... sleep well Krya, and do try not to bleed on my seat covers!" There was a muffled chuckling from the other women in response, then the journey continued on in silence.



******



Daniel and Teal'c ran to the doorway as the truck pulled away. There was still no sign of Jack. "Do you think you can track them, Teal'c?" Daniel asked anxiously.

"A vehicle of that nature leaves no trail, Daniel Jackson. I regret that I can not."

Daniel agreed "Well, maybe we can find out where they've gone from the men!" They returned to the dining room to a huddle of frightened and despairing men. "Listen up!" Daniel called to them. "Can anyone tell me where they'd go? Where they might take Sam and the other women?"

The men stared back blankly, some shaking their heads 'no'. Mol responded, "We do not know of such things, we don't even read the maps!"

Teal'c was very interested now, "Maps? Where are the maps?"

Mol led them to the living room, appearing very guilty about even being there, and gestured at the battlefield maps on the back wall.

"These maps appear to show enemy positions as well as strongholds belonging to the women in this town. What is this place?" Teal'c inquired of Mol, pointing to a large building in enemy territory.

Mol wasn't certain, but took a guess, "Perhaps Krya's sister's house?"

"Her sister?" Daniel asked incredulously. "Why are they enemies? Why all the fighting?"

Again Mol responded as if he really wasn't sure, and his voice was full of sadness, "We keep telling them that it is immoral to fight. There is plenty here for everyone. They should worry about bringing up the children, making a better world, caring for each other... but they are women...they continue to do battle. It seems their mother did not divide the territory equitably among them when she died."

Teal'c had left the room and returned quickly with their confiscated weapons. "I believe, Daniel Jackson, that we must train these men how to fight in order to have sufficient numbers to rescue Captain Carter and the others."

Mol sighed, "You men act so much like women! I believe it is not possible for us to learn..."

Daniel had his doubts as well, but figured if they could find some of the weapons the women were using, and teach the men at least a few tactics for fighting, they might just have a chance of mounting a rescue. He thought about Sam and hoped that Jack had somehow found his way onto that truck.



******



Jack remained inside the trunk as he felt the vehicle glide to a stop. He guessed the trip had taken about an hour, and he knew every part of him would be stiff when he finally could stand up. When there were no more sounds, Jack began to feel about for a release to open the trunk from inside. "Damn!" he cursed under his breath, not being able to find a way out, and once again finding himself powerless to come to Carter's aid.

Sam woke to find herself standing with her feet just touching the floor, strung up by the wrists in a dimly lit room. A group of people stood around her, hiding in the shadows. Her head buzzed and ached, "Nice way to treat visitors!" she quipped - suddenly reminding herself of the Colonel.

A harsh voice barked in response, "You will speak only when spoken to and you will answer all questions truthfully, understood?"

"I might be more willing to talk if you cut me down from here," as her inquisitors heard that her response was not a simple 'yes' they held a small blue box next to her ribs, and pressed a button. Sam responded with a scream of pain, as a strong electric jolt hit her full in the side.

"Now are you more willing to talk?" the voice mocked her.

She remained defiantly silent... another jolt... "Yes!" she answered shakily.

"Tell us what weapons, forces and plan of attack your world will provide for Krya," the voice commanded.

"Nothing!" Sam answered trying to figure out exactly what they were asking. The box appeared again. "Please! I'm trying to answer you!" Again a jolt... Sam was certain she was going to vomit, but instead passed out.



******



It was five hours later, the men were exhausted, and it would be morning soon. Daniel watched with a continued sinking feeling. The training was not going well. It seemed as if Mol knew what he was talking about, as the inept men managed to fall over one another, shoot Teal'c in the foot and set one of their robes on fire. "Did I look like this the first time you and Jack took me to the firing range?" Daniel asked a much disgusted Teal'c.

"In comparison, I would say you are an ultimate warrior!" Teal'c answered.

'Not good,' Daniel thought. He pulled Mol aside. "There has to be something we can do, that you men can do. What else do you do here - besides cook, clean and care for children?"

Mol stared at him with wide eyes, "My dear friend! Except for waging battle, we men do everything!"

"Everything?" Daniel asked. A plan was beginning to form in his mind.

"Why, yes! You have demanded of us the one thing we are least able to do. We men are the healers, we manage and run the businesses, we invent, we repair... we are the very center of all that is! But, we need the protection of the women to be able to do what we do," Mol explained regretfully.

"Or not," Daniel said. "Gather up the men! I want to talk to you about a very famous man from where I come from, his name was Ghandi!"



******



Hot, and the room smelled... Pain. Can't move. Wrists tied, arms lifted above. Darkness. Coughing. That's bad... more pain... OK... no more coughing. What happened? God it hurts... anything broken? Can't tell... thirsty. Arms going numb, body going numb - good, numb is very good... considering. Footsteps. Why are they so terrifying? What the hell happened? Pain.

Footsteps stopped outside the door, voices now, "If we have to destroy every last woman to win this civil war... we will!"

She remembered now, and steeled herself to face her tormentors.

The voices continued, "He must also be one of the visitors, he responds in ways most unbecoming for a man. Bring him inside."

Sam hoped she wasn't going to see one of her teammates coming through the door, just as much as she hoped it would be them. It was the Colonel, looking drenched in sweat - a tattered burlap robe hanging off of him.

"Cut her down from there!" Jack shouted as he was shoved into the room. "If you need to torture someone, have your fun with me!" He had been discovered trying to pry his way out of the trunk and dragged unceremoniously inside. He couldn't bear to look at his second in command; she looked like she'd been through hell. "I'm sorry Captain. I..." he didn't know what to say.

The women paid him no mind. Instead they returned to Sam's side. "Do you care what happens to this man? It is distasteful for me to kill a man, but I will if you do not cooperate!"

Sam could barely speak, her throat parched, "I... I've told you everything. We are here as explorers, nothing... more. We are... not... part of your... war."

She flinched as the blue box appeared once again. This time the inquisitor turned the power indicator to full and moved to Jack's side. "It will electrocute him!" she simply stated. "Are you certain you wish to cause his death?"

Tears began to stream down Sam's face. What should she do? Admit to a conspiracy? Buy some time? They'd probably be killed anyway... but perhaps only her. They really didn't seem interested in killing the others.

Before she could answer, there was a sharp knock at the door, "Alna wants you to come, immediately!" The women jumped to attention and quickly left the room, leaving Sam and Jack behind.

Jack rushed to Sam's side, gently undoing the ropes and slowly lowering her arms. She could swear her shoulders were both dislocated, and the pain of moving them was almost as terrible as remaining tied in place. She groaned softly, leaning heavily on Jack as he eased her to the floor, "Bastards!" he exclaimed, as Sam fell unconscious again.



******



In a large meeting room, Alna had gathered her leaders. She allowed her sister to sit at the table with her as well, even offering her a damp rag for the gash on her head. Krya looked at her suspiciously, "What is it now, sister? Will you demand my surrender in return for the lives of your hostages?"

Alna steadied her voice, trying to sound friendly, "Krya, dearest Krya, I think you will find that we have greater problems than the breaking of the cease fire, or your mercenary friends."

Krya was about to protest, then thought better of it, and listened to what her sister was about to say.

"It seems the men, who knows where they would get such an idea," she laughed nervously. "The men of both your lands as well as mine... they have undertaken something called 'passive resistance'! They are demanding an end to the civil war or they will simply not DO ANYTHING! A "Policy of Non Aggression" I believe they called it! And they have already begun by not preparing morning meals or reporting for work in the power factories."

Krya was dumb struck. How could this be? Had to be the work of the strangers... and to think, she'd allowed them into her home, even thought she liked them! "What do we do?" she found herself asking her long time enemy.

"I was hoping perhaps you had some ideas!" Alna responded. "The women in my command do not wish to fight their own men! I don't know what to do!"



******



After some deliberation, it was decided to let the strangers go free. The sooner they were allowed to leave their planet, the better. After all, they started all this trouble!

Jack still supported Sam as they made their way back to the hover truck for the journey back, "Guess they really didn't want to tangle with me, huh?" he joked with her as she shook her head, casting him a very doubtful look.

Sam couldn't believe her eyes as they arrived at the Stargate. She could see Daniel leading an enormous group of exuberant men. They were celebrating wildly, carrying him on their shoulders. He seemed very pleased with himself and the turn of events. Many women were there as well, but though they were carrying weapons, they weren't using them. The women appeared uncomfortable and confused, but not at all threatening.

Daniel's gleeful look changed to worry and concern as he saw Sam's condition. He ran to her side, offering his arm, "You alright, Sam?"

She smiled weakly, realizing that was what she'd often said to him, "Yes, I'll be fine, just get me home!"

The women of the planet seemed most anxious to see them on their way. Daniel turned to Mol "It's a brave thing you're doing."

Mol embraced him warmly, "Thank you! And tell this Ghandi his ways are good ones!"

Daniel nodded in response as Jack and Sam stared in curious silence. "Teal'c?" Daniel turned to him, "Did you really mean what you said about me being a great warrior?"

Teal'c simply raised his brow.

"Now I know this can't be real!" Jack muttered, as they stepped into the wormhole and headed back to things as they were meant to be.



The End.