samandjack.net



“Excuse me George.” Jack O’Neill walked into the control room of the SGC.

“Colonel. What are you doing out of uniform?” General Hammond asked.

“Handing you my resignation.” Jack pushed an envelope into his hand.

“Why sir?” Major Samantha Carter asked as she crossed the room.”

“So I can do this.” He swept her into his arms and kissed her.

“Colonel.” The General yelled. Jack waited for the loop to end, for him to be whisked back to the commissary and his bowl of fruit loops and the question that Daniel asked which he hadn’t been listening to the first time. But nothing happened. He opened his eyes and saw Sam staring back at him. “Colonel.” The General bellowed again. He released Sam from the kiss. She stood to her feet, her mouth agape.

“Excuse me sir, I’ll just go and clear out my office.” Jack stomped of tapping his watch.

“Major?” General Hammond turned to Sam for an explanation.

“I have no idea where that came from sir or why Colonel O’Neill would resign.”

“Well Major would you go and tell him I want him to go and see Dr Fraiser immediately.”

“Yes sir.” Sam quickly left and hurried down the corridor. As she turned the corner she bumped straight into Daniel.

“What’s the hurry Sam? I just saw Jack and he walked straight by me.”

“Colonel O’Neill just handed General Hammond his resignation and kissed me. It was like he was waiting for something to happen and when it didn’t he stormed off saying he had to pack up his office.” Sam explained.

“It’s about time.” Sam shot Daniel a confused look. “The kissing part not the resigning.”

“Daniel is there something going on I should know about?” Sam asked.

“Maybe you should ask Jack.” He suggested. “And if you see him before I do tell him it won’t be the same without him.” Daniel walked on. Sam wondered how Daniel could be so flippant about it.

As Sam neared Jack’s office she heard Teal’c’s voice.

“It appears the loop did not continue O’Neill.”

“Ya think?” Jack replied in his normal sarcastic tone. “And now I’ve resigned so unless you want to help me pack?”

“I’ll go and retrieve some boxes.” There was a gentle tap on the door.

“Come in.” Jack called.

“Sir, General Hammond would like you to go to the Infirmary immediately.” She informed him.

“Excuse me Major Carter.” With that Teal’c left.

“Carter, I just resigned you can drop the sir.” He looked at her trying to gage her reaction.
“Yes sir.” She said out of force of habit.

“Major! And I’m not going to the infirmary. I’m not sick, I don’t have an alien virus and nor do I have some debilitating brain disease.”

“Then why…” She started.

“Let’s put it this way I thought something was going to happen as it has before but it didn’t, so I apologise for my behaviour and if you’ll excuse me I have some packing to do.” He looked around his office, he grabbed his picture of SG-1, the pot plant Sam had given him to cheer up his office and the pen that was a gift for his last birthday. “Okay so I less stuff than I thought.”

“Sir don’t you think this is a bit hasty.”

“No I was retired before this whole thing came up. Now I can spend more time fishing so if you’ll excuse me.”

“Sir?” There was a pleading tone in her voice.

“Cut the sirs Carter. I’ll see you soon and say goodbye to the others for me.” With that he left. Sam lent against the desk confused.

“I have boxes O’Neill.” Teal’c announced on his return.

“He left already. Apparently he ‘didn’t have as much stuff’ as he thought.”

“Are you feeling yourself Major Carter?” Teal’c asked.

“I’m fine Teal’c. A little shocked but fine.”

“If that is all Major Carter I will return to my quarters.” He turned to leave.

“Teal’c?” Sam stopped him. “I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but I heard you say something about something not looping again and Colonel O’Neill said he was waiting for something to happen that didn’t.”

“I can not answer you Major Carter, you should ask O’Neill.”

“I can’t he left remember.” She stated the obvious.

“I will be in my quarters.” He left her to ponder the comments.

* * *

“Dr Fraiser, do you know what is going on with Colonel O’Neill, he hasn’t been himself today, requesting a postponement of his mission and now he resigns so he can kiss Major Carter.” General Hammond asked.

“Maybe he got tired of the waiting and the regulations sir.”

“Doctor?” He questioned the base CMO.

“You weren’t present when Anise retested the Colonel and the Major were you? General the Colonel and Major Carter have some unresolved feelings which need to be dealt with.”

“Would you care to elaborate further Doctor.” Hammond asked not quite understanding her.

“Sir, in all the Alternate Realities we’ve encountered, what has been the one constant between the alternate Colonel O’Neill’s and Major Carter’s?”

“They have been engaged or married.” He replied.

“Exactly. Jack and Sam have feelings for each other that traverses those realities. In this reality they have had to suppress these emotions, due to the Air Force regulations about fraternisation between personnel, especially between CO’s and their subordinates. I believe Colonel O’Neill just got fed up with waiting.”

“I see and you’ve know about this since the Zatarc incident.” He asked.

“Actually Dr Jackson and I have speculated about this, as have the rest of the base, since just after they first met sir.”

“That was four years ago Doctor.” Hammond exclaimed.

“Yes sir and so far they have done a good job of trying to hide these feelings from themselves and you. But since he resigned I guess they are free to do as they wish sir.”

“Thank you Doctor. Could you keep Major Carter on the base for at least another hour and when I call you send her to my office.”

“Yes sir. But may I ask why?” Janet pressed the situation, she’d been candid with the General hopefully he’d be candid with her.

“Colonel O’Neill is too good an officer to lose. If you’ll excuse me I have to speak to the President.”

* * *

“Janet how many more tests do I need?” Sam groaned.

“Teal’c thought you looked ill earlier it’s best to check these things out.” The telephone ringing interrupted her. “Excuse me.” She picked up the phone. “Yes sir, right away sir.” She hung up the phone. “You’ve been given a reprieve Sam, General Hammond would like to se you in his office immediately.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later.”

“Sam it’s late I have to get home to Cassie, I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Send Cassie my love. Night Janet.”

* * *

“You wanted to see me sir,” She entered General Hammond’s office.

“Sit down Major.” Sam followed his orders. “I’ve been having an interesting discussion with Dr Fraiser about Colonel O’Neill’s actions and his resignation.”

“Yes sir. Did she have any ideas sir?”

“She seemed to think you might have a better idea why he resigned. But that aside I’ve just spent the last forty-five minutes on the telephone with the President; he agrees with me that we cannot afford to lose Colonel O’Neill from our fight with the Goa’uld.”
“Sir, will due respect the Colonel has resigned and there doesn’t seem to be much you can do about it sir.”

“That’s where you are wrong Major. If we take care of the reason he resigned he should be able to come back.”

“How are you going to do that sir. Do you even know why he resigned?” Sam asked.

“After reading his letter of resignation and talking to Dr Fraiser yes. Now I have to leave my granddaughters are spending the night. But I have Presidential orders for you first.”

“Sir?” Sam questioned.

“I need you to make a delivery to Colonel O’Neill’s house.”

“Sir what would you like me to deliver?” Sam asked.

“Initially there is a letter from me not excepting his resignation. For the other part I need you to remain on base until two letters from the President, which are to be hand delivered to you. One is for you, the other for Colonel O’Neill. They must be opened together and after midnight.”

“Sir, I have to two questions if you’ll permit me.” Hammond nodded.” One why is the President sending me a letter and two why do they have to be opened after midnight.”

“In answer the letter will explain everything and it has to be opened after midnight because that is when it comes into effect. Also advise Colonel O’Neill that he will not be receive Court Martial for today’s events.”

“Yes sir.” He handed her an envelope.

“Major have a nice weekend. SG-1 deserve a few days downtime. I’ll see both you and Colonel O’Neill for a briefing at 0800 on Monday. Dismissed.”

“Yes sir.”

* * *

Sam left the General’s office still gripping the envelope. Without thinking she made her way back to her lab.

“Sam just the person I was looking for. Teal’c and I are going out for a drink do you want to come?” Daniel asked.

“Huh?” Sam snapped back to reality.

“Do you want to come for a drink with Teal’c and me?” He repeated.

“I can’t I have to stay on base.”

“Sam, it’s Friday night, we’ve been given the weekend off, it’s okay to leave.” He took on his brotherly persona.

“No, you don’t understand Colonel O’Neill and I are both, for some reason, are receiving hand delivered letters from the President and I have to wait here for them to arrive and then take them over to the Colonel’s house, so we can open them together after midnight when whatever is in the letters comes into effect.”

“Jack resigned. How come he’s still getting mail from the President?” Daniel scratched his head.

“Because General Hammond isn’t accepting his resignation.” She flashed the envelope at him. “I have to deliver this too. I’m becoming the SGC’s personal bloody mail man.”

“Mail woman.” Daniel corrected but continued before Sam could retort. “Jack is not going to take that too well. Do you want us to wait with you?” He offered.

“No it’s fine I have paperwork to do anyway. Just don’t get too drunk, you know what you get like and I don’t want to have to come and bail you out again.”

“That was only once. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Night Daniel.”

* * *

Sam sat trying to catch up on some of the paperwork that always managed to slowly pile up on her desk when she was off world even for just a few hours. She glanced at her watch 2334 hours. There was a knock on her door which made her jump.

“Come in.” She called.

“Major Carter, there is a Captain Jordan here to see you, he says he was sent to see you by the President.”

“Send him in Lieutenant.” Sam rubbed the back of her neck and stacked the papers in front of her.

“Major Carter, I’m Captain Jordan.” He saluted her. She stood and returned the action.

“At ease Captain. “ She instructed.

“Ma’am, I’m the special military aid the President. He asked me to personally hand deliver these two envelopes to you. One is for you, the other for a Colonel Jonathan O’Neill.”

“I know Captain, I’ve been waiting for these. Thank you.”

“Ma’am I need you to sign to say you have received them.” Sam took a pen and signed the receipt.

“If you wait a moment I’ll walk you out.” She grabbed her coat and bag, switched off her computer and picked up the three envelopes. “Let’s go.”

“Major Carter can I ask what happens at this facility?”

“ You could but I can’t answer the work done here is classified.”

“I have high security clearance.” He replied.

“Not high enough Captain.” She signed out for the night. Swiped her access card and stepped into the lift.

“Those letters must be important, it’s the first time the President has sent me halfway across the country to deliver anything.”

“I wouldn’t know.” She paused. “Captain, how long have you worked as the President’s aid?”

“Today is my ninth day.” He admitted.

“Ah. Don’t worry it gets easier.” The lift stopped at the surface.

“Goodnight Major.” The airman who kept guard of the entrance called to her.

“Goodnight.” She replied. “It’s straight out those gates.” She pointed. “Good luck with the job.”

“Thank you.”

Sam went to her car unlocked the door and slipped inside. Placing the envelopes on the passenger seat she started the engine for the twenty minute drive to the Colonel’s house.

* * *

The doorbell had been enough to wake him but the incessant banging was driving him mad.

“What?” He snapped as he opened the door. “Carter it’s almost midnight. What do you want?”

“Sorry sir, but General Hammond and the President have decided that I’m your personal mail woman.” She remember Daniel’s comment from earlier.

“I quit can’t they leave me alone. Come in Carter and lose the sir.” She stepped through the door watched him as he closed the door. He was dressed in a T-shirt and boxer shorts.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about the quitting part.”

“Huh?” He yawned. “Sit down, sorry the place is a mess.”

“This is from General Hammond.” She searched the envelopes and selected the one with the SGC seal and handed it to him. “He also said to said to tell you that you won’t be receiving Court Martial for today’s events.”

“Nice to know.” He tore open the envelope, before he pulled out the contents, he look at the other envelopes.” What’s in those?”

“I have no idea, they’re from the President, hand delivered and everything, and we can’t open them for another five minutes. So do you want me to make some coffee while you read you’re letter from General Hammond?” She offered
“A beer would be better. But help yourself to coffee.” He opened the letter. “Bloody great. I’m too indispensable to resign therefore my resignation has been put through the shredder. You’ve got to love the guy’s style.”

“Who’s style?” Sam as she came back holding two bottles of beer, deciding against the caffeine kick.

“General Hammond’s. He shredded my resignation.” He paused as he took the beer from her. “ Why can’t we open the President’s letters until after midnight?”

“General Hammond said something about that’s when they come into effect.”

“So Major what have you been doing for the last five hours.” He tried to make small talk.

“Nothing much. Janet decided to poke and prod me for an hour because Teal’c thought I looked sick. Since then I’ve been waiting for the President’s aid to bring the envelopes and catching up on paperwork.”

“Teal’c thought you looked sick?” Jack cracked an O’Neill smile.

“Apparently. He decided just after he returned with a pile of boxed to help you pack but you’d already left by then.” She paused. “Oh Daniel said to tell you it wouldn’t be the same without you. But I guess since you’re not leaving, which I think Janet had something with.”

“Trust me she’d have been glad to see the back of me.” Sam glanced at her watch, the second hand ticked to midnight.

“Here you go sir.” She handed him the envelope. He tore it open and began to read. Sam opened hers more carefully taking out the pile of paper. The letter read.



Major Samantha Carter of the SGC under the Command of Major General George Hammond hereby is granted permission but I, President Thomas Jefferson Healy to conduct a personal relationship with her Commanding Officer Colonel Jonathan O’Neill as of midnight on the date at the top of this letter.

This permission excludes both Major Carter and Colonel O’Neill from Court Martial for the offence. This permission however does have conditions

1) No fraternisation while on the base.
2) No fraternisation while on missions
3) No actions will interfere with the running of the team designated SG-1

These rules will be over seen by General Hammond, if breached Major Carter
will be reassigned to Basic training camp for one week without pay and be
fined $500, payable to the SGC benevolence fund.

If these conditions are acceptable there are enclosed documents to this effect
Which need to be signed and counter-signed by General Hammond. One copy
Will remain in General Hammond’s possession the other will be kept by
Major Carter.

The letter was finished with the President’s signature and the presidential seal. After there was a message in the President’s hand wishing her luck.



“My god, they really don’t want to quit do they.” Jack said breaking the silence. He gazed at Sam who looked dumbfounded. “Sam?” He questioned.

“Sir, what exactly does this mean?” She had a confused look on her face.

“I thought you were supposed to be the brains of the SGC Sam.”

“Sir?”

“It’s Jack. This means that the President has overridden the regulations. Basically it says we can have a relationship and not receive Court Martial for it. That is if we keep it off base and off missions and it doesn’t affect SG-1.If it does General Hammond can send us to boot camp without pay and we owe the Air Force $500 a piece.” He explained. “That’s if you want to sign the letter.”

“Okay, before we talk about that. Can you explain what you were expecting to happen when you kissed me? I know it had something to do with a loop.”

“Ah. Well you see. You know today we were supposed to go to PX whatever and I managed to convince General Hammond to postpone it until tomorrow.”

“Yes. We really should have gone there was going to be…”

“A geomagnetic storm and Daniel really wanted to meet Malikai and when he didn’t respond we went looking for and he was passed out on the floor, he’d been shot and you knelt down to check he was breathing and Teal’c and I grabbed Malikai and this beam shot out of the Stargate. Next thing I’m in the commissary eating my fruit loops and ten hours later whatever Teal’c and I tried to do we were back there with Daniel asking a question I wasn’t listening to the first time.”

“Wait. You’re saying you were caught in a time loop?” She sounded confused.

“Yes, like I’ve explained to you hundreds of times. We tried everything. We tried going to the planet, not going to the planet, we went earlier and later, Teal’c stayed behind, I stayed behind. We learnt Latin to help Daniel to translate the ruins on the alter thingy and corrected his grammar, much to his annoyance.”

“You learnt Latin?” She looked shocked.

“Yep. I even read all your astrophysics books and theories about the Stargate, which you explained to me so I just about understand it.”

“Okay now I know your joking.”

“No really it took four or five loops but I’m almost there.”

“How many loops have you gone through?” Sam asked.

“About a hundred or so I think we stopped counting after the first thirty. But the last twenty have been the best.”

“What happen for the last twenty loops?” Sam asked curious.

“Daniel said something about it being a window of opportunity. Being able to do whatever we wanted knowing everything would go back to the way it was so no consequences. So that’s what we’ve been doing. Teal’c and I convinced played golf through the Stargate, which General Hammond interrupted in the middle of my back swing. I road a bicycle around the base. I learned to throw a mean pot. I taught you all to play ice hockey. I kidnapped you and took you fishing. I took Teal’c to Washington and we gate crashed the White House and demanded the President made him a citizen. We convinced Janet and Daniel they were in love with each other. Teal’c and I took Cassie to Disneyland. My favourite was when I got you drunk and you decided we should go to Vegas.”

“What about today?”

“I figured it was my chance to kiss you, the time loop would go through and Teal’c and I would go back to breaking the loop. But it stopped it’s self.”

“I buy that. I knew you wouldn’t resign, you like beating the bad guys too much.”

“I like you a lot more. You know I love you Sam right?” He looked into her blue eyes.

“I love you too Jack.”

“So what are we waiting for, we have Presidential approval.”

“I have abosolutely no idea.” She kissed him.



Epilogue

“Come in.” General Hammond called on Monday morning. “Good morning, Colonel, Major. What can I do for you?”
“Sir we need you to counter sign something for us.”

“We also wanted to say thank you.” Sam added.

“It’s not me you need to thank it’s Doctor Fraiser and the President. Keep it off the base I don’t want to send you to Boot camp to often.” He signed all four documents and hand back their copies. “Dismissed. Oh and Jack.”

“Yes Sir.” Jack stopped.

“George is a good name for a boy.”

“Yes sir.” Jack closed the door behind him.



* * * FIN * * *