samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thoughts - Comments: Thanks to Wendy G for suggesting an episode and causing me to reorganise the whole story :> I apologise in advance to anyone who disagrees with the way in which I have interpreted the episodes you're welcome to tell me what you thought, but no flames please. Also thanks to the Sam and Jack list because it's their dicussions that make me watch episodes in so much detail . And to Dustdevil for beta-ing this and encouraging me to continue :-) Hope you enjoy it.

Copyright (c) Elise Hudson, January 2000


Major Samantha Carter.



I stand in front of the gate waiting for it to disengage as I watch Merrin walk through it. I sigh and then turn. Up in the control room is Jack. He looks so sad stood there behind the glass as if the glass could protect him from the feelings. It can't though. He still feels the sadness at Merrin leaving and so do I, but not in the same way.

I guess this mission has made me realize just how much children mean to Jack. He was so sweet and tender with her, okay so he kind of kidnapped her, but he didn't hurt her and he brought her back. He risked a court martial for a little girl he had known only a few days but already cared a great deal for.

He is so good with kids. I didn't realize that until I turned up at the school to find him and Merrin. They had been in a classroom painting while the other kids were outside playing. After I had found them and we had left the building all the children outside had run up to him. 'Colonel Jack' they called him and he smiled. He loves kids so much and they instantly love him. He may be a tough Special Forces Colonel, but he's also a big softy at heart. I would love to see him with children of his own. I can just picture it...

A little girl sat on her Daddy's knee asking for heaven and Earth and he grants her every wish. She sits there as her Mom comes in to tell her off for doing something and she smiles that angelic 'Jack' smile at her Dad and he lets her off. And as she gets older her Dad remains protective of her, but still can't say no to her so when she asks if she can stay out past twelve he agrees.

Oh God, what am I doing? It's one thing for me to fall in love with my CO but to plan our kids. I need help.

I look back up at him and he stares at the gate sadly. Then he turns and walks off. I so badly want to go and talk to him, to help him, but I don't think he'd want to. He'd just dismiss my concern and walk off. The caring side of him would once again be hidden. How can I keep the caring side in the light?



*****



SG-1 is on Orban. The people of the planet have decided to teach those that previously were abandoned. I spot Merrin and tell Jack. He walks over to her and sits next to her. I turn my attention back to Teal'c for a moment until I know Jack will no longer be watching me. I see him drawing on the wall with her and I'm suddenly remembered of my fantasy from earlier.

Little girl drawing on the walls, Mom punishes her and Daddy does the punishment for his daughter so that she can go play.

Arrgh, I have got to stop doing that!

I'm not that far from him and I hear him say something about Dogs being his favorite people. I don't think that's true. I think kids are his favorite people. I smile and remember the gift he gave me earlier.

It was after Merrin had first left and I had decided it was best not to talk to him, but he came to find me. He had something for me. My heartbeat increased ten-fold and I swear I nearly passed out. He handed me a rolled up large piece of paper tied up in a bow. I undid the bow and looked at the picture. It was a red flower garden with a little stick drawing of me.

Merrin had drawn it and, instead of keeping it, Jack had given it to me. Maybe there is hope for him yet.



********************************************************

End