samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thoughts - Comments: Thanks to Wendy G for suggesting an episode and causing me to reorganise the whole story :> I apologise in advance to anyone who disagrees with the way in which I have interpreted the episodes you're welcome to tell me what you thought, but no flames please. Also thanks to the Sam and Jack list because it's their dicussions that make me watch episodes in so much detail . And to Dustdevil for beta-ing this and encouraging me to continue :-) Hope you enjoy it.

Copyright (c) Elise Hudson, January 2000


Colonel Jack O'Neill



My eyes open slowly. They feel heavy and I think I must have over slept. I cough. This isn't how I feel when I wake up, no matter how long I've over slept. There are two people standing over me. It must be Doc. Fraiser or some other member of the infirmary staff. My eyes clear and I don't recognise either of them. They address me by name and then announce that my team are dead. My brain may be still half asleep, but I know what they mean. Daniel, Sam and Teal'c are dead. No - they can't be. Why are they dead and I'm alive? That just doesn't make any sense.

Then the big shock hits. Everyone I know is dead. What, did the world get attacked while I was out? Are these some alien race that came to our rescue and found only me alive? Why would I be the only survivor and why don't I remember any of it?

Then it all becomes clear. The year is 2078, according to these two people I've never met before. I turn my head away from them with what little strength I possess. Oh, great! Not only am I in the future, but none of my team are with me. And then my brain clears, only slightly, and I think of Sam. She's dead. I never told her... the truth. I never got the chance to... say all that I'd wanted to when the time was right. Oh, God. This can't be real. One question remains in my mind because these people can't answer it and that is: What happened to my team? To Daniel, Teal'c and Sam?



*****



I sigh and wonder how on Earth am I going to get out of this one. Of course, I no longer believe I'm on Earth. I stopped my drip thing because I was suspicious. I think anyone would have been. I wake up and have these two people declare that my team are dead and they have no answers for my questions. They won't even tell me what happened to Cassie, who in all rights should still be alive. So I had a right to be suspicious. I was proven right when I heard the 'doctor' and 'General' talking - in Gou'ald!

I attacked a guy in my room and traded clothes with him before setting off on a search through the base. I soon discovered that I am definately *not* on Earth because I found my way into a Gou'ald area like Apophis' ship, which set off this memory implant thing.

God, pain. I have to stop thinking or it'll go off again.

I'm now stood facing a room with Captain Carter in. Looks like these Gou'ald can't do anything *but* lie. There's a nurse checking on her and I know that I have to disable him, but with what? I scan the room for a suitable weapon and soon spot a metal canister or something. I pick it up and creep towards the guy. Sorry, I think as I hit the guy over the head.

He collapses onto the Captain and after pushing him to the floor I lean closer to Sam. I whisper her name and then remove the drip thing in her. She begins to wake up and I gesture for her to be quiet. Her arm reaches up and hooks around mine. I tell her what I know about the situation as I try to ignore her arm touching mine. I mean, we've touched before. She's kissed me before, for crying out loud, but I've never seen her this unclothed before - if that's a word.

She whispers that she thought I was dead and I hear the holographic screen come to life. I look up from her, almost afraid to look at what memory she is recalling, and then look at the screen. It's that darned orb thing that impaled me in the gate room. I see her running towards me with such concern on her face. Could it be...

Before my trail of thought can continue I remember that we have to get out of here so I disconnect the wire that displays her memory. She sits up and I try to avoid looking at her bare back, but I can't. If I thought she was unclothed before then knowing that her back is totally bare does nothing to help my situation. I look at her front trying to avoid seeing too much of her flesh, but realise that that's dumb because she's only wearing a silver blanket.

She needs to get dressed. Not just because a blanket is impractical, but because I don't think I can stand to see anymore of her. If I did I think I'd resign my commission right here, right now and that wouldn't be good.

Or would it? Too late I've opened my big mouth.



*****



Why do I keep getting stuck in akward situations with Sam, I mean, my Captain. I think that while stood behind this wall and holding her back to my front I should really call her Captain. You know to lower the temptation. Everything had been going fine until she'd started having a flashback and I heard some Jaffa approaching. I'd grabbed her round the waist and put one hand over her mouth while I dragged her behind this wall and now we're waiting for them to pass.

They've gone and I lower my hand from her mouth. Strange, she doesn't move away from me. Probably because I'm holding her too tightly, well she hasn't said anything about it. My hand hesitates, hovering just above her neck. I don't know where to put it. Lowering it and resting it where it is would be... well it'd be bordering on foreplay. I guess I could put it by my side.

She says something and I move the hand in question to touch the memory thing at my temple. From there my hand easily comes to rest on her shoulder. Phew! That was close. We move off and I exhale in relief. Relief that we didn't get caught and that I don't have to be so close to her. I find it hard to control myself when so close to her.

I need help.



*******************************************************

End