samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: jackiesfic@aol.com

Season: Season 6, Sequel of sorts to my fic 'In Demand'

Spoilers: None

Archive: SJD, yes. Anyone else, please just ask.


They started with a phone call.

"This is Hammond, I need to talk to someone about setting up some married quarters on Level 22."

They continued when the Airman who had originally taken the call casually asked a couple of his buddies over coffee if they knew who had gotten married.

They spread when one of the Airman stopped in the infirmary to see if his girlfriend was ready to leave and repeated what his friend had said.

But the rumors really gained momentum the next morning when the workers arrived on Level 22 to begin converting two of the standard quarters into a Married Quarters Suite, which would include a large private bathroom. People continually stopped by, discussing the work, and trading speculation on who the quarters were for.

The obvious favorites were O'Neill and Carter, but since SG1 had headed out early that morning on a mission, and Dr. Fraiser wasn't due in until 14:00, there was no way to check out that possibility. So other rumors began to fill the void, including one that the General himself was remarrying. No one could pinpoint the SGC staff member that was his future wife, so that rumor fizzled fairly quickly. Of course Jonas and Teal'c got their fair share of speculation. They both already lived on base, so if one of them was to marry, they would definitely need larger quarters.

Even Dr. Fraiser had been paired up with a couple of different officers. One rumor had her marrying Jonas, Another told of the huge cat fight she and Carter had had over O'Neill when the Doctor had told the Major that she and O'Neill were engaged. The good Doctor put all of those rumors to rest when she arrived, but then she was called into an emergency, so she was not available to pump for further information.

By the time SG1 returned from their uneventful planet survey at 19:00, most of the daytime staff had left. However, Sgt. Davis informed Major Carter that there was a pool started by Major Griff if she wanted to get in on it. This was the first she had heard about the new quarters, but she gleefully put a few dollars down on Jonas Quinn and Lt. Rush, which of course started a whole new round of rumors. After her shower and post mission physical, since the guys were still in the locker room, she headed down to Level 22 to check out what she assumed were going to be her new digs. Hammond was there, checking on the progress made so far.

"I guess I can't keep this as a surprise," he sighed.

"Not anymore," she agreed. "But it was a very nice, one. Thank you, Sir."

"You two spend almost as much time here as I do, It's the least I could do," the General replied.

Since they were both on their way out for this night, they continued talking as they headed for the elevators.

"So how long are you going to keep everyone in suspense, Sir?" the Major inquired.

"Given how little work was accomplished today, I am having the nameplates put up tonight. Maybe this place can go back to normal tomorrow."

"Just make sure that they say Carter/O'Neill, Sir. I want top billing."

"You're not changing your name then?" Hammond asked chuckling.

"Oh, can you just imagine how confusing *that* would be? Besides, Jack still calls me Carter most of the time anyway."

The General stopped as they were exiting the elevator and turned to her in surprise.

"You know that is the first time I have ever heard you call the Colonel by his first name."

"And you probably won't again, at least not on base."

"It's ok if you slip up once in a while Major."

Sam laughed. "I'm more likely to slip up and call him *Sir* when I should say Jack!"

They both were chuckling over that when they reached the security checkpoint, where Jack O'Neill was waiting for his wife. The three signed out and then headed to the parking garage.

"So how does our new home away from home look?" O'Neill asked his wife.

"It's going to be great," she replied.

"You should be able to move in by the end of the week," Hammond said as they reached his car.

"Thank you, Sir. Do I have to carry her over the threshold?" O'Neill quipped, earning him a playful slap from the Major.

"No but you might want to actually wear your wedding rings around base starting tomorrow. I'd hate for anyone to get the idea that I was allowing you two to live in sin," the General remarked.

With that, they all went home for the night. The next morning, Hammond was pleased to see the base returning to normal. Most of the staff at one point or another stopped by Carter's lab or O'Neill's office to congratulate the newlyweds, and of course the pool winners had been determined and paid, but unlike the day before, work seemed to be progressing nicely in all areas of the SGC.

At least it was until one of the nurses reported that a pregnancy test was missing from the infirmary.

The end



(No sequel! And it is definitely not Sam who swiped the test!)