samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: starry_eyed_surprise5@yahoo.com
Spoilers: Stargate - The movie, There but for the grace of god, Point of View
Archive: SJD, yes
Author's notes: I wrote this story after seeing 'Point of view' again. It's one of my favorite episodes. You can guess why… :-) To keep things clear: Sam is Doctor Carter and Carter is Major Carter. I hope you like it!
Feedback: Please let me know what you think! All constructive criticism is welcome!
Copyright 2003 starry_eyed_surprise 04-03-2003


'Now that was weird.'

A confused Jack O'Neill is lying in his bed and recalling the events of the day. They'd had some visitors in the SGC. Doctor Samantha Carter and Major Charles Kawalsky. They'd come from an alternate reality, or something… He still doesn't get that whole 'fork in the road'-stuff. But all in all it'd seemed like they could trust them. Charlie hadn't changed a bit. Well, at least as far as he could have changed … yeah whatever. Dr. Carter on the other hand, she was the scientist Major Carter is. But as a person … she was totally different from the Carter he knows. Sam is a very open person, especially towards him. No military attitude, just Sam. It kind of freaked him out.

'I wonder what Carter would be like if she wasn't military. Would she be like Sam? And how would she act around me? Well, I guess I'll never figure that one out.'

Jack groans and turns around onto his other side, not able to fall asleep. When he had walked into the infirmary all he managed to say when he saw Sam was: "What happened to you?" She had looked hurt, which wasn't a surprise knowing what she had been through. She had only just lost her husband -him, in a way- and had left her world and everyone and everything she knew behind. And then HE walked in on her like that…

'Nice Jack, real nice.'

God, sometimes he really hated himself. The pain he saw in her eyes and the way she acted only confused him more. But that wasn't the weird part. No. That came when he went to give her the 'good news'. Jack had never seen Carter in that kind of state, so … vulnerable. He had felt pretty uncomfortable just being there. But Sam didn't seem to have a problem with it. And then he saw that picture. The Jack and Sam of that reality were married. That really was something beyond his comprehension. Though it sounded logical: first engaged, now married. What would be next … some kids perhaps? And why was there a part of him that loved to find that one out? Anyway, they really looked happy in that picture. Real happiness. Like he had known before … a long time ago. There had been a time in which he didn't have any reason to go on with his life. Let alone he believed to ever find real happiness again. Even until today he never believed that, but now … Well, obviously there's still hope for him.

'And that possibility is Samantha Carter? Damn! Yeah well, then I'd better forget about that whole happiness thingy now, before I get myself in real trouble.'

Sam missed her Jack a lot. That much was obvious. The pain was so clear in her blue eyes when she recalled their first anniversary, that it even hurt him. Jack never could stand seeing Carter hurting. And of course there wasn't anything he could say. No cranky comments, no words of wisdom… (yeah right). Sam knew that. So he just held her tight and let her sob in his arms. The scary part was that she knew him so well. Probably better then anyone else, even though that technically they had just met. So he assumed that he was a lot like her Jack. She even told him that much. But then comes that same question: Why the hell would she EVER marry such a loser like himself?! She had just smiled at that comment, like she had expected him to say something like that! But she loved her Jack, a lot, anyone could see that. He didn't get it though. Why would anyone, especially Sam, ever love him; an old soldier with a creepy past who doesn't have quite the 'nice guy' reputation. Oh no, his sarcastic comments weren't very welcome. Though Carter always smiled at them… So, she likes them? Right… Oh, for crying out loud! What does she see in him anyway? She is young, beautiful, intelligent and she's got the most gorgeous blue eyes. And when she smiles … oh my god…

'… and I really shouldn't be thinking about Carter like that! And when did I start thinking about Carter anyway?! Wasn't this all about Sam?!'

Jack sighs and moves so he is lying on his back, staring at the ceiling. She had kissed him. Sam had KISSED him. Thank god he'd still had some sense of surroundings, so he'd kept some kind of restraining. When he'd felt her soft lips on his, he'd thought he was gonna lose it. Oh yeah, that one was gonna color his dreams for a long time. And then realization hit her: "You're really not him, are you?" Oh, how he wished he was. 'Uh… ? Oh boy, I'm really getting to old for this.'

But of course he had to say no. Besides, he would never be her Jack, even if he wanted to. So he had just turned around and had walked away through the mirror. Only to be confronted with a shocked, confused, surprised, embarrassed (?) Carter. He didn't know what to think, but she didn't feel very comfortable about it -who wouldn't- and he's got this feeling that that isn't gonna change in the first few days. But why is she bothered by it? It's not like he had kissed her, just her 'twin'. Which basically is her… But then, is there any part of Carter that would feel slightly the same way about him as Sam? That's just not possible, is it? There just friends, right? It's not like she would ever feel something more than friendship for him, would she? Though he wouldn't mind…

'Okay, now I'm really confused. Plus I've got a major headache and I'm getting tired. I really should stop thinking and get some sleep.'

He turns back onto his side and closes his eyes.

'I wonder how Carter is taking all this… Ah, crap!'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The End.



End Notes: That's it! I hope it made some sense. Those alternate universes can get pretty confusing. Please send me some feedback.

*ses*