samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season/Spoilers: season 9 - Off the grid

Archive: Heliopolis, SJD, SJNC17, my site (http://anakin.david.free.fr/) .

Anywhere else, just please ask before.

Thanks: My Beta: Barbara
Author's Notes: Season/Spoilers: season 9 - Off the grid

Archive: Heliopolis, SJD, SJNC17, my site (http://anakin.david.free.fr/) .

Anywhere else, just please ask before.

Thanks: My Beta: Barbara


The moment she stepped in her house, the telephone started ringing.

She was briefly tempted to let the machine answer, but she picked up the receiver angrily instead.

“What?!” she asked in an aggravated tone.

“Tough mission, I take it?” she heard the unmistakable voice say.

“Jack!” She felt relief flow through her body as she sat on the couch, at the same time removing her shoes.

“That bad, huh?” he asked gently.

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe how pissed off I am!” she said, throwing her free hand up in the air.

“So tell me.”

“It’s Cam…”

“Oh?”

“He’s a damn rookie, and he thinks he owns the galaxy already! I’ve been at it for nine years now, as well as Daniel and Teal'c, but no, Lt. Colonel Mitchell has to patronize everyone! As for me, it’s like I am back at the Academy where I had to fend off prejudices about women in the Air Force in any position other than simple airman or cleaning lady!”

“Again: oh?” she heard, his voice raising a little, indicating his concern.

“I understand why he got command. After all, I was not even there when he arrived at the SGC, but for crying out loud, he could at least show some respect for his peers! We are the same rank, and I’ve got more experience than he does! Just because I’m a woman doesn’t mean I deserve to be treated like a Barbie doll!”

“Sam? Has Mitchell demonstrated sexual discrimination toward you?” she heard him say calmly, too calmly.

She sighed. “No, not really. But I don’t like the way he sometimes talks to me.”

“Tell me more.”

“When we were investigating the kassa issue, Cam insisted we dress as mercenaries. He decided to be the one to talk to the smugglers and not even let Daniel utter a single word, then he pissed them off with his nonsense, and to top it all, he had the nerve to call me Goldie Locks! But when it came to saving the day, who did he turn to? Me! I was the one to recover almost all the gates! I was the one to think of the way to do that! Then I was not Goldie Locks anymore!”

The silence at the other end of the phone was eloquent enough.

“Jack?”

“You want me to call Landry?”

“No!” she exclaimed vehemently. “That’s none of your business!”

“Hey! I’m not the one complaining!” he shot back.

“I’m not complaining to Major General Jack O'Neill; I’m complaining to my husband …” She calmed down. “Jack, I know you’re worried, but I’ll be okay… Hey, after all, I managed to stand up to you for eight years…”

“Nine, Carter… nine…” he smirked.

She chuckled. “You regret it?”

“Not a single second,” he replied.

“Thanks, Jack.”

“For what?”

“For calling me, letting me know you care…”

“That’s my #1 duty, Sam… you got plans for the weekend?”

She smiled. “Oh I think I’m going to hook up with a sexy guy that I know…”

“I see; one minute you’re all into the husband/wife thing, and the next you’re this kick-ass independent woman…”

“Smartass… When’s your plane landing?”

She heard him sigh. “Oh, with the six billion meetings I have tomorrow, I’m afraid you can cancel dinner…”

“Ah, shit!”

“Sam!” She heard false indignation in his voice.

“Sorry… I’ve been hanging around you too much,” she smiled. The doorbell rang. “What now?” she grumbled, hooking the receiver in between her shoulder and her cheek as she fumbled with the knob and security chain.

“Special delivery pizza …” he smirked.

“You ordered for me?!”

“Well I didn’t think you’d stocked your fridge before leaving, and I definitely don’t want to sleep next to a sack of bones, so…”

“Jack!” she finally opened the door and just stood there, gaping. Jack O'Neill in full dress uniform was standing on her front porch, holding two pizza boxes and a paper bag.

“Special delivery pizza, Colonel…” he said, just before kissing her lips…