samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: jojo@randomleaves.com

Spoilers: Season 7. The big spoilers. Sort of.

Archive: SJD please.

A/N: Thanks to Sesa for reading this through and offering suggestions.

Status: Complete


"She is not my girlfriend."

Daniel blinked. And decided he'd push his glasses up his nose just for the hell of it. He knew it pissed Jack off when he played the geek routine to the maximum. "She's not your girlfriend?"

"No!" Jack replied, hotly, jamming his hands deep into his baggy jeans' pockets and scowling down at the sidewalk.

God knew why they were having this conversation outside Sam's house, Daniel thought. He couldn't even remember how the conversation had started. He vaguely recalled saying something about the slight change in tension in SG-1 - which he'd finally noticed now that he had his memory back and he could remember the sparks that had zinged off Jack and Sam for nearly six years running.

For some reason, though, Jack had taken this as Daniel's way of telling him that he had worked out that Jack and Sam were secretly dating.

That wasn't the case, but Daniel wasn't going to tell Jack that. It was too much fun being thought of as omnipotent. Besides, he felt he ought to take advantage of the fact that Jack was apparently not going to blow him off or ignore him - which he would usually do when the conversation got too uncomfortable for him.

It probably had something to do with the return of Daniel's memory - no doubt Jack, just like the rest of the key players in Daniel's life, had been warned by Janet to be as open as possible with Daniel. After all, Daniel needed to catch up. A year away and people had changed. Relationships had... shifted.

"So. if she's not your girlfriend, what is she?"

Jack swallowed.

Oh. This was fun on a level Daniel hadn't experienced since. since. he'd snuck most of his books out of Jonas's office without telling him. There were, after all his books, so he was just taking back his own property.

Without telling Jonas.

It had been fun right up until Jonas had come to him, nervously, and said he might just have lost some of Daniel's Really Important Texts. And then Jonas had noticed Daniel was reading one of said Really Important Texts. In fact, Daniel's feet were propped up on the desk next to a pile of Really Important Texts.

Whoops.

Jack scuffed his boot against the ground and glanced towards Sam's house. Following his gaze, Daniel could see that Sam and Jonas were both standing by the window, staring out at them. Catching their eyes, Sam beckoned at the two of them, trying to get them to come in.

Jack held up a hand, fingers spread and she shrugged. If he'd been closer, Daniel would probably have seen her eyes roll. She stepped back from the window and let the curtains fall back into place.

"She's. she's."

Daniel leaned forward, tilting his head to the side as if he wanted to hear better. "She's. what? A. partner? Your." He grinned and waggled his eyebrows, ".better half?"

With glee, Daniel watched as Jack tensed his jaw. "You are enjoying this way too much, Jackson," Jack said grumpily.

Yes, yes, Jack, I am.

Daniel couldn't contain his amusement.

Just to keep up the act, Daniel glanced down at his watch. "Come on, Jack, it's already getting dark. They're expecting us for the Daniel-Got-His-Memory-Back dinner." He even managed a smirk.

His best friend glowered at him. "You're evil."

Daniel plastered an innocent expression on his face. "Me? I'm just trying to determine what's going on between you two. That's all."

Blink, blink.

"She's." Jack lifted his chin proudly as he found a phrase to appropriately describe their relationship, "She's my Significant Other."

This time, Daniel really did blink in surprise. "Your Significant Other."

"Yup. That's what I said. That's what she is." Turning around, Jack walked up the path to Sam's door, leaving Daniel standing on the sidewalk.

He was still standing there while Jack fished out the keys to Sam's house. Then, finally, he found his voice,

"Jack O'Neill. you've turned into a complete sap!"

-End-