samandjack.net

Story Notes: Sequel to Never Alone: Friends

Age 13+. There is an Adult Only version of this story on my site at: http://www.ficwithfins.com/AA3_1/archive/2/neveralone3.html

Content Warnings: Contains use of minor mild language and references to sexual situations and torture

Archive: SJD yes

Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Once again written to fulfil a fic challenge As the Stargate Turns Yahoo Group (or at least that's my excuse). This week's challenge was to include the line 'He shone above them as an angel' and/or the word 'Separation'. This includes both. Not beta read but hopefully I haven't made any awful mistakes.

Copyright © 2005 Su Freund


Just Visiting


Sam quietly opened the door to Jack's apartment. Man, was he going to get a surprise! She hoped he liked it. He'd given her the keys so she assumed he meant what he said about turning up at any time. He wasn't expecting her to arrive until the next day, but she had managed to engineer an extra day and here she was. Jack might not even be there, but she hoped he was. If he wasn't she would curl herself up in his bed and that would be even more of a surprise.

Laughter carried through the apartment; a woman's laughter. Sam's heart skipped a beat. Jack had a woman here? No! What should she do? Leave and pretend she had never arrived, or confront them? As dark thoughts whirled around in her head she heard more noises, this time from a man, or should she say men? Jack had company, and it wasn't just a woman.

Relieved, she hoped she didn't walk in to find a woman sitting in Jack's lap, although to be honest she didn't really expect that to happen. Her momentary doubt when she had heard the woman's laugh was simply that. Jack loved her and she didn't really believe he would be messing around with someone else, although she was pretty sure he must get plenty of chances to do exactly that. He was a good-looking man and could be charming when he set his mind to it.

Wondering who he had visiting, she snuck along to the living room. Jack had his back to the door but she could see that Jimmy had spotted her. They were playing poker and she grinned. Jimmy had said they should get together to play and Jack had mentioned that they had been. Must be Jack's turn to play host to their poker night.

Jimmy grinned back, knowing that Jack wasn't expecting her until the next day and that his friend would be very happy to see her. Jack wasn't looking at Jimmy, and no one else had spotted her standing in the doorway, but Jack felt a shiver of anticipation run down his spine and smiled. Sam? Having sensed her presence, he turned to look.

"Sam?" he exclaimed and everyone looked up, "Honey?"

Jack laid his cards down on the table and got up, pulling her into his arms for a kiss and hug.

"Surprise!" she smiled and gave him a squeeze, "I hope you don't mind me turning up a day early."

"You're kidding, right?" he grinned and then, remembering he had company, let her go but took her hand and turned back to his guests. "Sam, let me introduce you." He walked her over to his visitors, "Jimmy you've met of course," Jimmy nodded a hello and smiled winningly, "Folks, this is Sam. Sam. Jane, Pete, Rob, and the miserable looking guy sitting over there is Adam. He's a sore loser."

"Hey!" Adam objected and Jack laughed.

"Only kidding."

"Good to see you again, Sam," Jimmy said with a beaming face. "Jack, do you want us to take off?" he offered, thinking that Jack would probably want to be alone with his beautiful girlfriend. Before Jack could speak, Sam intervened.

"No! Please don't. You folks were invited. Maybe I could join in."

"You play poker?"

"Can't be more than two minutes in the Air Force without learning to play. Actually, my dad taught me," she replied.

"Sure you can join, if you like, when we mop up this hand."

Jack smiled inwardly. Sam was a wicked poker player. If only Jimmy knew. He didn't have much time for women and poker and Jane was there only because Jimmy wanted to find a way into her pants and hoped this was it. Jane was playing hard to get and Jack hoped that Jimmy would learn a hard lessen about women and poker, and women in general, from Sam and Jane tonight.

"Um, guys, I'm out, for now," Jack said, "lets get you settled first," he said to Sam, pulling her out of the room and into his bedroom, and then drawing her into his arms and giving her a long and memorable kiss.

"If I'd known you were coming I would never have invited the guys round. It's great to see you, Sam."

"You too. If you're going to kiss me like that then I'll surprise you more often."

"It was just a kiss."

"Now you're the one who's kidding," she smiled and Jack blushed. "Maybe that's one of the good things about our enforced separation."

"What, that everything tastes sweeter when we're together? I sure hope it would taste as sweet if we were together more often, Sam."

"I didn't mean."

"I know, honey. I was just kidding."

This time she kissed him. Sometimes he was just so adorable. Sam figured not that many people were likely to say that about Jack O'Neill.

"Jeez, I wish the guys weren't here. I'd seduce you on the spot," Jack whispered, a lecherous smirk on his face.

"No, it's great Jack. I'm happy to meet them. It'll be fun."

"It sure will if you can wipe that superior smirk off Jimmy's face. He seems to think that women can't play poker and, so far, Jane hasn't done anything to prove him wrong."

"Really? Then I can get some extra pleasure from thrashing him," she laughed.

"Want a drink, Sam?"

"Beer?"

"Sure."

Their private hello completed, he took her by the hand, and leading her back into the living room and reluctantly letting her go to get a beer.

As she played Sam looked the picture of innocence. Jack had never met anyone who could bluff as well as Sam. She deserved an award for her performance. When she swept up her winnings, Jimmy frowned, looking puzzled, and Jack smiled at her proudly. By the time they took a break, Sam was well ahead.

"So, you really can play, Sam," Jimmy said with grudging admiration. He was beginning to understand why this woman might be so special to Jack: beauty and brains, an almost lethal combination in Jimmy's not so humble opinion.

"Can't let you guys keep all the fun to yourselves," she retorted with a smile. "You should see me at the pool table."

Jimmy looked up at Jack as if seeking confirmation and Jack nodded.

"You should never have let Jimmy into that secret, Sam. I could have arranged a few games," he said.

"What's the betting he won't believe it until he sees it anyway, Jack," she replied.

"So is there anything you do badly?" Jimmy enquired.

"Absolutely nothing, old buddy," Jack was quick to answer. "She's perfect." He kissed her cheek and Sam smiled shyly.

"Lucky man," Jimmy declared with a leer and an eyebrow wiggle.

"You can say that again," Jack agreed amiably, and Jimmy went of to flirt outrageously with Jane to further his plans for her seduction.

"I wish I was perfect, Jack," said Sam.

"You're as near perfect as anyone can be Sam."

"That's sweet of you."

"I can't believe you're here. It's a great surprise." He looked into her eyes and smoothed his hand over her neck.

"Well, I arranged another meeting at the Pentagon for tomorrow morning."

"Crafty."

They had seen a lot more of each other recently. Jack had found a couple of excuses to visit the SGC and stay overnight with her. He had even managed to fit in a little fishing with Bob on one of the visits, much to Bob's delight, and Josie's. This was the first time Sam had made it to Washington since Fox's party, but at least they'd seen each other, even if it was all too briefly and not for a whole weekend.

Both of them had been bitterly disappointed that their planned vacation needed to be postponed. They had so been looking forward to spending a length of time together but events had conspired to thwart them and they were still trying to plan another date. Jack was concerned that it would end up so late in the year that it would be well into winter before they made it, although it might mean they'd get to roll in the snow after all and that could be a lot of fun.

Now here she was a day early and Jack was thrilled. Another night in her arms: he so loved that. The sex was great, but as far as he was concerned, that was even better.

"Are you free in the afternoon?"

"Might be."

"If so, maybe I can beg some time off myself. 'Wily' would understand."

"No doubt he would," Sam grinned. "Let's see if that's possible. It would be so great."

Shortly after that, the poker commenced again and Sam ended up wiping Jimmy out, much to his amused chagrin. He instigated the departure of the group and, Jack wondered whether Jane had finally agreed to go back to his place, because Jimmy looked really happy, despite his heavy losses, and to a woman no less. Win some, lose some. With poker that was always a risk. You shouldn't play if you aren't prepared to lose. No doubt he would find out about Jane in the fullness of time. Jimmy couldn't help but brag about his conquests.

"Did you eat? You missed the take-out but I might have something in the fridge," Jack said when they'd left; suddenly realising that Sam might not have eaten.

"I'm only hungry for you, Jack," she leered.

"Yeah?

And it seemed she was very hungry for him indeed because she practically dragged him into the bedroom and pushed him onto the bed; not that he put up a fight, of course. She proceeded to seduce him with her mouth in a way that he was pretty sure no woman had ever quite done before and Jack thought Sam was truly and, somewhat unexpectedly, awesome. Then he did the same for her and they were replete, satisfied and happy.

'I love her more than I ever loved anyone before, even Sara,' he thought but found that notion more than a little disturbing so refused to allow himself to dwell. He'd been happy with Sara, very, and should not even consider a comparison between these two great loves of his life.

It felt like a betrayal of Sara and she would always have a special place in his heart. Nothing could take that away from them, just as nothing could replace this deep feeling of love he had for Sam, and he wouldn't want it to.

He recalled the conversation that he'd had in the kitchen with Jimmy earlier. It had started with Jane.

"I really like her, Jack, but she doesn't seem interested in me. Not in that way."

"That's probably why you like her so much Jimmy. Obtaining the unobtainable, all that. Isn't that how you like it? Chase 'em, screw 'em and leave 'em?" Jack queried.

"I don't know; this is different. I'm falling for her."

Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise at that statement from his old friend. Jimmy had a reputation to maintain and love never entered the equation. Jack and Jimmy had once been very close friends, a strange pairing because they were so entirely different, but it had worked.

Jimmy had been the closest thing to a confidante that a man like Jack ever got. It was probably the equivalent to his relationship with Daniel now, but different. Although they had grown apart and lost contact, they had picked up that friendship because they'd always been able to talk to each other about things men didn't always talk about. That ability was a lifetime thing.

"Falling for her?"

"I've known her for ages and she knows what I'm like so who can blame her for not wanting to give in to me, huh?"

"Known her for ages?"

"Since I first moved to Washington. We lived in the same apartment block and got friendly. She was living with a guy at the time. Of course I tried and she resisted, and then I got friendly with him so gave up trying. Jane and I got to be good friends. I was the shoulder she cried on when she split with Mike. We always talked to each other about our various partners. It's not like me to have a woman who is a friend, Jack, you know that, but I like her a whole lot. And now? What suddenly happened? It's all changed. I never even realised I was interested in that way until recently and then it hit me like a ton of bricks."

"So not falling, but fallen, huh?"

"I think so. Is that crazy or what?"

"No it's kind of nice. It feels good to feel like that, Jimmy."

"Like you and Sam?"

"Just like that."

"I'm surprised you haven't proposed to her already and snapped her up."

"Snapped her up? She's not going anywhere."

"You're that confident of her?"

"Yeah I guess I am, but not about the marriage thing, not yet. You don't get married to ensnare someone in a net, Jimmy. I-it's a mutual thing or it's never going to work. Sounds like you've got a warped view of what marriage should be."

"I probably have. Why do you think I've avoided it for all these years?" Jimmy laughed.

"Ask her on a date. Just a date. Stop trying to get her into bed and relax with it. Don't rush it. If it's meant to be it'll happen. Maybe you need to prove yourself to her."

"Maybe she knows me too well for it to ever work."

"No, that's not it, Jimmy. Sam and I. well we were friends for years but that feeling that there was something more was always there, bubbling underneath maybe, suppressed and hidden, but it was there. So how about you and Jane?"

Jimmy did not get the chance to answer as one of the other men came in and interrupted, so he wandered off to talk to Jane, pondering Jack's words and still hoping he could get somewhere.

Jack wondered how it had gone, but his thoughts soon returned to Sam. People kept hinting about them getting married. Virtually the only person who didn't was Sam herself. He didn't read any particular significance into that, of course, because why would she mention it? She wouldn't.

If her asked her, what would she say? Was it too soon? His only answer to that question was yes. Way too soon. She couldn't possibly know what she would be letting herself in for. Not yet. No one ever did with a marriage, of course, but that wasn't the point. There were lots of things she didn't know about him and, although many of those things might never be revealed, some of them probably should be.

He wanted her to know about his family, his background. This was why he needed her to go to Chicago with him, so he could show her. A lot of what had made him was rooted there and many of the places that fed into that had been destroyed over the years, but not everything. He needed her to see and he needed to tell her before he could progress this relationship to where he really wanted it to be.

In his time, Jack had done some things that he was ashamed of, things that provoked regret and remorse. Those things could haunt him and he felt diminished by them. He had been debating telling Sam some of this for a while now.

This urge to confess scared him because it wasn't like him. Normally he kept his mouth tightly buttoned. There was something about this relationship with Sam that made him. something. He wanted it to be real and honest and as open as it could be, given that he was Jack O'Neill and crap at all of that stuff. It was fundamentally important to him that she married him with eyes open about the kind of man he truly was because he didn't think she really knew.

There were some things he probably could never tell her, and some that might be difficult to put into mere words, but he thought he could make a start. After their lovemaking the thoughts about marrying her prompted him to ponder what he should tell her and how he should start. No time like the present. They had been lying in a silent embrace for a long time and Sam started when he spoke.

"I love you, you know that don't you Sam?"

"Yes I know it."

He sighed, letting her go and lying on his back.

"What's wrong, Jack?" she asked, sensing his unease.

"I'm just thinking," he paused for a considerable time and she wondered if he needed her to prompt him into speaking what was on his mind and then he spoke again. "There are so many things you don't know about me."

"Important things?"

"I don't know."

"I think I already know all the important things, Jack, the things that make me love you, that make me want to lie here in your arms."

"Do you? I wonder."

"Then tell me. Tell me what you want me to know."

"It's all stuff I never talk about. I don't know if I can."

"Then don't, not unless you're ready Jack. You think I'll love you less for things that happened in your past?"

"I don't know."

"I find it hard to believe I would. You were in special ops and I'm pretty sure you did some things that were awful and possibly dubious. They might even be things I wouldn't like to imagine you doing, although I've got a pretty good imagination. I've known you a long time and have seen so many facets to you over those years. I can't imagine anything you could tell me that would make me stop loving you."

"How about respecting me?"

"Jack.?"

She let the query hang in the air between them but he said nothing so she snuggled alongside him and folded an arm around his body comfortingly. Sam was wondering what had suddenly brought on this crisis of confidence in her lover.

"I can't imagine losing my respect for you either," she added when he continued to remain silent.

"I think I'd hate that more than anything, Sam," he admitted eventually. "You know I suffered four months of hell in an Iraqi jail as a POW?" It was a rhetorical question, as he knew she did, although she lacked any of the detail. She stroked his skin tenderly and could see it still prompted some painful memories.

"It was pretty hellish," he continued, staring at the ceiling and not daring to look at her. "I was tortured very badly: starved, beaten, deprived of sleep, solitary confinement, a little box." he shook his head in horror at the memory of the small box they had forced him to spend hours in, scrunched up tight because that was the only way you could fit, and unable to move. That was the whole point. "Electric." he shuddered and so did Sam, "I'm not sure how much of that I really wanna remember, or talk about."

"Then don't," she said.

"I was meant to assassinate someone over there, Sam. That's what I was there for." He stopped, waiting to see if she reacted.

"And?" was all she said, her voice level and holding no tones of horror.

"Ironic, as the guy I was meant to kill ended up as my torturer. He knew that's what I was there for, don't know how, but he did. He got a real kick out of causing me pain."

He felt Sam shiver and plucked up the nerve to look at but love in her eyes, and curiosity, and that encouraged him to continue. Here came the kicker.

"I got him in the end when I escaped. I got the bastard and I got a real thrill out of that. I made him suffer first and it wasn't pleasant. It was the only time I ever really enjoyed killing someone. I'm good at it, a damned expert, but I never took pleasure from it. Took pleasure from being good at it, but not from the act itself. Might get that pleasure again if I ever got my hands on that bastard Baal."

Sam gave him a reassuring squeeze to ease the sudden trembling she could feel running through his body at these thoughts. If this was what he was saying, she wondered what he wasn't saying. Worse, much darker thoughts than he expressed, of that she had no doubt. She found that disturbing, but not for them and their future, only for him and his soul. Sam believed in Jack when he failed to believe in himself.

"You hate that you got pleasure from it?" she asked.

"Yes. I'm ashamed of it Sam. Sometimes I can kinda excuse myself by remembering that I was probably a basket case at the time, but it doesn't stop me hating myself for it. I never wanted to be a man like he was. I didn't want to become him. I saw how close I could become, how easily I could be that man. It scared the shit out of me. That person, he's still inside of me and probably always will be. I don't want that person to come anywhere near you."

"I don't know what to say," she responded after some thought, "I've seen some glimmerings of that man over the years, Jack, but you aren't that man. You never have been and you never will be. I can't tell you that the thought of that man doesn't scare me, because it does. But does it make me love you any the less, respect you less? No, it doesn't."

She kissed him softly on his cheek and forced him to look her in the eyes.

"You see?" she said and he looked and saw, and what he saw made him turn on his side and take her in his arms again. "What made you bring it up now, Jack?"

"I don't know. I-I just needed you to know. I really hoped you'd understand, Sam, but what if you didn't?"

"Then I'd probably be walking out of the door in disgust around about now. I'm not going anywhere. You won't get rid of me that easily. 8 out of 10 for effort, Jack, but you have to try harder."

"You really are something, Sam. Special."

"How did you deal with it, Jack? Afterwards?"

"Sara. She helped me through it."

"Did she ever know?"

"No. You are the only person who knows. I never want anyone else to know. She was amazing when I got back here. Patient and understanding. I was pure hell to live with for a while but she did it and eventually I came out of the other end of it okay - mainly okay. I still bear some scars here and there and I don't mean physical ones."

"You never saw a counsellor?" Jack snorted derisively in response.

"Sure I saw one of those, under orders. Think I told him about that? You're kidding, right? They never knew half of what really happened over there. I just played along. You know me Sam. It was Sara who did it, not a freakin' counsellor."

"Do you still love her?"

Jack looked at her in surprise at the question wondering how she could think that.

"No, not in the way you mean." It wasn't a vehement denial and was all the more powerfully true because of that. "I'll always love her in some way. How could I not keep a small place for her in my heart? She saved me with her love for me. We were happily married for 10 years. But I love you Sam. You have my heart now, and have done for a long time. Never think otherwise. Does it bother you? What I said about her I mean?"

"Only a little bit."

"It shouldn't but I guess I understand why it would. We shouldn't talk about exes, huh? So not supposed to do that."

"I'm glad you did. I'm glad you told me all that."

She felt closer to him than ever after those revelations. What she felt now only confirmed her belief that this relationship with Jack was forever. She was truly and deeply committed to him and loved him like she never had anyone before.

Sam had believed herself to be in love before, but it had never been like this. Only the contrast told her that. This was something so very different. Here was a man she really could spend the rest of her life with. Everything that had come before was a sham by comparison.

She tried not to think about what he must have suffered at the hands of his jailers. It was too awful to contemplate Jack in so much pain and despair. She'd seen him suffer many times, and every time it tore her apart, but she was guessing from the little he had revealed that this torture had been far worse than anything she had witnessed.

He'd referred to the box. She'd heard about that and it was hard to imagine how painful that must be; days on end in the smallest of small spaces, unable to move. When you got out it was impossible to unravel yourself. That's what she'd heard. The damage. how had Jack kept himself sane? Electricity too. She'd heard about the kinds of things they did with that too. The genitals were a favored target for the painful shocks. How had Jack kept himself whole?

The notion made her want to weep but instead she clung to Jack hoping that their mutual warmth would comfort them both. How could she condemn him for wanting to hurt the man who had done those things to him, or for taking satisfaction from it?

Jack had feared she would condemn him, that much was clear. He hadn't used the word satisfaction, though; he said he'd taken pleasure from it. That was altogether different. Even so she was unable to judge him too harshly for that, or to judge him at all. She wasn't in a position to judge him.

He had lived through something terrible and come out the other side of it a good man. That was the truth of it. Everyone has his or her dark side, but deep down Jack was good. Despite his guilt at his feelings of pleasure, maybe that death by his hand was what had made him able to live beyond it. That was a thought provoking concept.

They fell asleep in each other's arms both engrossed in their different, while also similar, thoughts about their future together. Jack slept well, reassured by her reaction to his reluctant but necessary confession. First step concluded. Now to get on with the rest of the show.

*****************************

When Jack waltzed into the Pentagon with Sam on his arm he felt very proud. They were a striking pair and people noticed. Another notch for his reputation. After her meeting she strolled along to his office.

"Is he expecting you? I can't see an appointment, Colonel," his secretary said defensively.

"I'm sure he'll be pleased to see me if you tell him I'm here. He is kind of expecting me. I wasn't sure how long my meeting would last.

When Jack came out of his office and pulled her into a hug and kiss in front of everyone outside, Sam was as surprised as they were. She hadn't expected that in this place.

"Listen up folks, this is Colonel Sam Carter," he announced to the assembled staff. "She's, well.special so let's just say that I expect her to be treated right whenever she's here, okay?"

A number of open mouths greeted that statement and Sam was fairly sure she also spotted some disappointment in the face of one of the women.

'Too late, sweetheart, he's mine,' she thought possessively and smiled up at Jack brightly.

"So can you get away?" she asked.

"Not yet. Sorry, honey. You wanna go home and wait? I might be a while. Or go do something? Shopping? Whatever?"

"I'm sure I can find a way to pass some time. How long?"

"At least a couple of hours," he said regretfully.

"I'll go visiting."

"Visiting?"

"Catch-up with some folks I know around here. Call me on my cell?"

"Sure honey."

He kissed her briefly on the lips and she leaned into his ear and whispered.

"Shown me off enough yet, Jack?" Clearly she was amused.

"I don't know what you mean," Jack replied with wide-eyed innocence and a cheeky smile.

In reality, of course, he knew full well what she meant and was looking forward to being the subject of gossip amongst the staff who worked there. He figured he lunchroom would be full of it for days. Good for the ego, the soul and his reputation. He liked that and Sam knew it. It was good of her to play to it for him and she made a little more of it before she left.

Her lips lingered on his cheek and she briefly stroked his neck before taking his hand in hers and giving it a squeeze.

"Can't wait until later," she said with a wink, smiling charmingly at the open-mouthed throng. With those words she turned and was gone, and Jack smiled dreamily.

It wasn't until much later that Jack found out one of her visits was to General Grafton. She dropped in on the off chance he was there and he had been delighted to see her, offering her coffee and a few moments of his precious time. He was flattered by the younger woman's attentions even if she did appear to belong to Jack O'Neill. If that ever changed, Mike Grafton would be ready and waiting. However, he wouldn't hold his breath. He could tell how she felt about the lucky man just by looking into her eyes at the mention of his name.

Jack revealed to Sam that Grafton had backed off just a little. They still butted heads, but it seemed slightly less antagonistic. He wasn't sure whether it was because 'wily' had become his CO, or whether it was due to Sam's intervention on his behalf at the party. She never had told him what they'd spoken about and he guessed she probably never would. All he knew was that he was grateful to get the guy off his back. The petty arguments had been pissing him off and at least the two men had less of those now.

Sam had pondered the broadening and strengthening of contacts for Jack's sake. Gladys Fox told her a thing or two about that when they last met. She had called Gladys to tell her she would be in town, but this weekend was not a good one for the Foxes, which was disappointing. She knew Gladys would be on her side and advise her about how best to help Jack in any way she could.

Jack believed he was in the twilight of his career and that retirement would beckon swiftly, but Sam wasn't so certain. If that was how it panned out, if it was what he wanted, then fair enough, but if there was more, and he wanted that, she would do everything within her power to help.

Sam was determined to consolidate Jack's currently much more favourable position with Grafton and this is why she paid her surprise visit now. Once she had charmed him for a while she paid a visit to an old friend.

Like Sam, Betsy Sheridan was an Air Force brat and they had been close friends. Betsy and Sam's fathers had worked together. They didn't keep in touch as much these days, but they'd had many reunions over the years and each time it seemed like they'd never been apart. Betsy was another person who Sam regretted not seeing more of. There were too many of those in her life.

Betsy managed to get away from her office for a while so they could play catch-up over coffee and her eyes widened when Sam told her whom she was dating.

"Jack O'Neill? The Jack O'Neill, with two lls?" she nearly spluttered her coffee everywhere. Sam nodded with a smile. "You mean that's been going on for a few months and you never rang to tell me about it. How could you?"

"So you remember?" Sam queried.

"How could I forget, particularly when he ended up as your CO? I thought that was pretty cool, and weirdly coincidental, but dating? Dream come true, huh?"

"Betsy, it isn't like that. We were just kids when all that happened."

"Hormonal and fanciful teenagers you mean."

"Yeah. Doesn't seem quite so fanciful now, does it?"

Sam smiled wistfully, recalling the incident - the first time she had ever encountered Jack O'Neill. She had never mentioned to Jack the fact that they had met years before the SGC had even been created.

Betsy and Sam had been playing around the base, poking their noses in where they shouldn't be. They were 13 years old and didn't yet consider themselves too old to play childish games. Betsy was chasing Sam who ran out into the road, right in front of a jeep. The brakes screeched to a halt and Betsy ran over to Sam, horrified. The driver leaped out, equally horrified, running around to where Sam lay in front of his jeep. The two girls looked up and he shone above them as an angel, the light behind him like a halo around his head.

"Are you alright?" he asked, crouching down to Sam.

"I must be dead," she responded and fainted, believing this vision was an angel come to take her to heaven. When she came round she was laying in the back of the jeep, the driver holding her gently and Betsy leaning over her looking concerned.

"Am I in heaven and you're an angel?" Sam asked

The driver laughed and then his face settled into a huge grin. Sam's heart thumped at the sight of that glorious smile and she looked into his deep brown eyes and fell in love.

"No way am I an angel and you are very much alive young lady, luckily for you - and me. For crying out loud, you ran out right in front of me. I could have killed you. I don't think there is any serious damage, but I ought to get you to a nurse to check you over."

"No! My dad will kill me if he finds out I've been playing round here."

"Mine too," Betsy concurred.

"And rightly so. What were you two doing messing around where you have no business to be?"

"We're sorry Captain, sir. If you don't tell our dads we'll never do it again. We promise, don't we Betsy? Hand on heart."

"Hand on heart?" he said, placing his hand over her heart and her hand on his. "Now that is a serious promise. I'll hold you to it."

When the huge grin turned into something a little more lopsided, and he added a wink, Sam thought she was going to faint again.

"We'll be good, honest," promised Betsy.

"You will? Then what more can I ask? Can I give you two young ladies a ride home?"

"Oh, yes please!" Sam said hastily," Can I sit up front, next to you?"

"Sure you can."

He took her hand and then helped her into the passenger seat with Betsy beside her. Betsy giggled all the way home, noticing Sam's reaction to the man, and Sam ignored her, simply staring at him infatuatedly. Jack O'Neill was amused, not failing to notice.

When they got to Sam's house he helped her out of the jeep like a real gentleman and kissed her cheek, rubbing it with his thumb affectionately.

"You will be more careful, won't you? I would hate to see any harm come to a beautiful young lady like you. You have a lot of hearts to break when you're older," he teased and Sam swooned.

"I promise. Hand on heart," she grinned, shyly.

"Good enough for me. What's your name sweetheart?"

"Samantha Carter."

"I'll be watching out for you," he replied getting back behind the wheel.

"What's your name, Captain?" Sam asked.

"O'Neill, Jack O'Neill. That's two lls, by the way," he chuckled

"Will you promise to be careful too?" Sam asked.

"You betchya. Hand on heart," he grinned, turning the ignition on and driving off. Sam stared after the jeep until it disappeared from view.

"I'm going to marry him when I grow up," she declared to Betsy.

"Marry him? He's way too old for you."

"Is not,"

"Is."

"Is not."

"Is"

"One day he won't be," she replied dreamily.

"Huh?" Betsy said puzzled.

Sam brought her thoughts back to the present and grinned inanely at Betsy.

"So are you?" Betsy asked.

"Am I what?"

"Going to marry him of course."

"I'm still holding out for it," Sam laughed.

"Does he remember it?"

"Jeez, Betsy, I never mentioned it to him. He'd think me foolish. I doubt he remembers. Why would he? An infatuated 13 year old drooling at her angel? No way have I mentioned it."

"You ought to."

"Tell him I promised myself I'd marry him when I grew up? You're kidding, right? Maybe one day, after he asks me, or after we're married."

"So he hasn't asked?"

"No, but I think he will. I love him Betsy, and he loves me. This isn't a 13-year-old girl's infatuation. We've known each other way too long for that. He's no angel, believe me!" Betsy laughed in response, and then patted her friend's hand.

"That great Sam. I'm so happy for you."

"Still think he's too old for me?"

"You were right that one day he wouldn't be," Betsy grinned. "General Jack O'Neill. He is sooo gorgeous. Half the women in the Pentagon have a thing for him."

"Really? Does he know?"

"I doubt it very much. Hey, even I go weak at the knees sometimes."

"But you're a married woman Betsy."

"And happily too, but it doesn't stop me from looking."

"Hands off, he's mine," Sam joked.

"Well, as he's been betrothed to you since you were 13 you think I'd have the courage to get in your way? You'd kill me," she laughed.

"See, if I told him I thought that hand on heart thing meant we were destined for each other he'd laugh his ass off," Sam pouted.

"Bet he wouldn't. Well, actually, he might. Oh my, Sam, the whole thing is pretty weird, isn't it?"

"A weird coincidence, as you said."

"Yeah, sure," although Betsy wasn't totally convinced.

Jack called and Sam promised to keep Betsy posted about developments and then went back to his office to pick him up, once more engulfing everyone in that glorious smile before sweeping him off his feet and homeward.

"You're good for a man's soul, Sam," Jack said, pulling her into his arms as they walked away from the building.

After their conversation the previous night he detected nothing in her attitude that worried him and he was pleased about that. Jack could never express in words how good that made him feel. He was honoured by that love and the depth and power of his requited feelings were overwhelming.

As they walked into the apartment Jack noticed the light on his answer phone flashing and much to his surprise it was Jimmy. Sam said she'd shower and change while he called back.

"What is it? Called to brag about your conquest Jimmy?"

"What conquest?"

"Jane. You looked pretty happy as you left last night and I know it wasn't because you were happy losing at poker."

"She agreed to come on a date with me. Nothing happened. I took your advice."

"Oh? And you called me why? I have my own beautiful girlfriend to get to you know."

"I can't stay on long anyway. I'm calling from the office at work. We open soon. Jack, I think she's got me."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean it isn't about sex. It's about her."

"Whoa! Slow down, you'll give me a heart attack. Not about sex? Did I hear right?"

"Sounds weird from me, huh?"

"Yeah, although not so much after what you said yesterday. If you're serious, Jimmy, I'm happy for you, really I am. But don't screw with her if you want to be friends because you can't get that back once it's gone."

"I'm nervous as hell, Jack. A date? I don't date, I just. well, you know."

"So why you calling me?"

"You suggested it. How do I date her? How to I make her fall in love with me?"

"You're calling me for advice about women? I am so not your man."

"You and Sam seem more than okay."

"Sure, and I have no idea what I did to deserve that. She's very special to me, Jimmy, and I think maybe I am to her too. Like you and Jane, I've known her for years, but all this. it's still pretty new. I don't know if I'm doing it right or not so how can I advise you, for crying out loud? You can't make her fall in love with you, Jimmy. That either happens or it doesn't. That much I do know."

"I thought about what you said, that there was always something there between you and Sam. That's true?"

"Since we met, but it changed and grew. I was her CO, Jimmy, I couldn't."

"But it was there. 'Cos I'm thinkin' that maybe this was always there for me too. Trouble is that I don't know about her."

"You never got any sense of it?"

"You did with Sam?"

"Jeez, Jimmy talking about this kind of stuff so isn't me you know?"

"Come on Jack, be a pal. This isn't the first time. What about all that advice I used to give you?"

"Payback time?"

"You are in my debt, man. I introduced you to Sara. Remember?"

"How could I forget? Dammit. okay, yes I kind of sensed it. Tried not to, tried to ignore it, but I knew she had some feelings too. We worked together virtually every day. She was a member of my team. I couldn't avoid feeling it, or knowing she did too."

"Jane and I have had our moments, normally when one or the other of us isn't available. A defence mechanism I guess. Go for it when it isn't possible but chuck your guts up with nerves about it when it is." Jack chuckled in response. That was so Jimmy.

"Moments? You, mean exchanging glances, brush of the hand, all that."

"Yeah, that sort of stuff."

"Piece of cake, Jimmy. Psyche 101. True love."

"Don't be sarcastic, Jack. Gee, you never could take anything seriously."

"I'm only being partially sarcastic. For heaven's sake just be you and it's a cinch. And I mean the real you, not all that Casanova stuff."

"Alright for you to say. Gotta go, Jack. Opening up now. Thanks man."

"I haven't done anything."

"Yes you have. See ya soon. By the way, you know this is the perfect location for a proposal don't you? Great dinner, dancing, down on one knee. if she says yes I'll get you champagne on the house."

"Jimmy! Go work for a living!" Jack put the phone down and frowned at it.

"Everything okay?" Sam asked. Jack looked at her aghast. She was wearing nothing but a towel.

"Yumm." A feral grin appeared on his face, "Are you nekkid under there ma'am?"

"Sure am."

He approached, placing his hands around her face and pulling her mouth into a kiss, then one of his hands wandered down to the towel and it suddenly lay at her feet. Continuing the kiss, he stroked her back in a way that left her in no doubt as to his intentions.

"Jimmy's in love. For the first time in his no good life, he's in love."

"That's sweet. Must be catching," she replied recapturing his lips in a kiss of her own making.

"I need a shower, Dorothy. Feel like getting wet again?"

"Ummm. Mr Scarecrow, I thought you'd never ask," she smiled.

As a result, a good part of that evening was spent in the shower, but imagination will have to substitute for the rest of that story.

***************
End