samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR: Linz (lindsaymallen@yahoo.com)

SPOILERS: Divide & Conquer, Small one for 100 Days

SEASON: 4 (ish)

ARCHIVE: SJA, Heliopolis, others only have to ask.

NOTES: The questions I ask in this fic have made up answers. I hope no one minds! Don't forget feedback. Pretty please with chocolate sauce on top!

SPECIAL NOTE FROM AUTHOR: A huge great big thank you to Flo, without whom there would have been no story. So thank you Flo. To SRO: now you know what we meant!


Bright blue eyes stared back into my own, their mischievous glint tugging an involuntary smile to my lips. But my gaze never left hers, I searched her eyes for something to tell me the sanity of my move, so far I couldn't see it. Lowering my eyes slightly I focused on undeniably soft lips and found the sign I was waiting for, the sign that allowed me to make my decision.

"OK, Major. I think your bluffing, so I'll see your twenty and raise you twenty"

I dramatically threw the chips in the centre pile, never taking my eyes from hers. Ok, so we where playing poker, but that didn't mean I couldn't look at her eyes. Besides, the intensity that passed between us for those few seconds had nothing whatsoever to do with poker and we both knew it. Since the recent events there had been a subtle but undeniable change to our interaction, and I for one wasn't arguing. But as is always the case, just as I begin to let my guard down and let her see more than I should, we get interrupted.

"How can you be so certain that Major Carter is bluffing O'Neill?"

My friend "The Jaffa", although beginning to understand the more indirect forms of human communication, was still confused sometimes, but that is understandable seeing as how I get confused by a relationship I have with a particular Major, what chance does Teal'c stand?

"Yeah Jack, she's already whipped your butt for the last seven hands, what makes you think you'll win this time?" Chirped Danny, who was enjoying far too much, the sight of Sam Carter winning all my chips.

"Because Danny boy… I have been watching and learning, and now I know her tells. Everytime she bluffs, she licks her bottom lip!" I announce with pride, silently congratulating myself on making that sentence sound just like any other, for not letting the affect her licking her bottom lip show.

"Oh really, colonel? You think you know me well enough to know my tells huh?" the sparkle in those blue eyes was one of unhidden mischief and it had suckered me from the opening hand, but now, a good many hands later, I had finally got my brain to engage in actual thought.

"Yasureyabetcha Cater, care to try me?"

Ok, so I couldn't stop the innuendo or the devilish waggle of my own eyebrows, but I was rewarded by a 24-carat smile that nearly stopped me breathing.

"Anytime Colonel! Cause you see, you have a tell of your own. I know when you're bluffing too and right now I'm gonna prove it. See you and raise you another twenty!" she cried triumphantly.

"Sam, come on… you have to tell, you two cleaned me out in three hands, give me a break here!" Although Danny's voice took on the whiney quality of a four-year-old, we all burst out laughing; knowing that he was desperate for any advantage.

"Oh please, do tell Major. This I am dying to hear!" I baited back. Smiling into my eyes, she continued, innocence personified.

"Well you see colonel. When you bluff, you get this look in your eyes. I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it."

Ok, two things… Firstly, since when does she watch my eyes so intently? And secondly… YES!!! She watches my eyes so intently! Although I am careful to keep my expression schooled.

"Fine Major, let's just see who's right then. I call" My gaze never once left hers, but I could sense both Daniel and Teal'c rise imperceptibly to see the outcome.

With a flourish, she lowered her cards… "Full house Colonel… Jacks and eight's!" She crowed, reaching for the stack of chips in the centre of the table.

"Not so fast Carter, obviously you don't know me as well as you think… Full house… Queens and nines!" the smile erupted over my face as I watched her, her face betraying the disappointment, but also the knowledge that she knew what I was going to do next!

Well never one to disappoint a lady… I slowly got to my feet, took two paces back from the table and then energetically launched into my 'HA! I beat you dance!' Now I will be the first t admit that I am not the most co-ordinated of dancers, but I still do not think it deserved the groans, pillows and popcorn that where hurled my way!

"Tut Tut, Major Carter" I admonish in my best patronising 'I beat you way'

"Such a show of poor sportsmanship, but that's what you get for thinking you know me as well as I know you." I cannot stop the grin (that some have called goofy) spreading across my face at the renewed groans I hear from the direction of my favourite little space monkey.

"Sir, with all due respect… shut up!" She sends me an eat shit and die look, not for the first time since I met her. "You can't say that and mean it, seeing as how you thought I was bluffing, when I had a very good hand" I can see her logic, but my victory and her eyes are clouding my judgement somewhat.

"Ahh, but Carter, you're forgetting. *I won*. Therefore, I know you better!"

"Bull *sir!*" Now normally you wouldn't hear my Major come out with something like that, but I know that I am baiting her well passed what would be considered sensible.

"You cannot possibly say that you know me better than I know you based on one hand of cards!" she finished, and I could feel the spirit spitting from every word, but did it stop me… well you know me well enough to know the answer to that!

"But Major, I can say it and I have!" I instinctively duck at that point, knowing that something heavy and painful is gonna come my way. Sure enough I wasn't disappointed as I watched one of my model aeroplanes makes a sharp 7G lunge for my head!

Just as I was about to get up and exact retribution for her crime, Danny, who seriously must have *the* worst timing in the world decides to make his presence felt.

"Hey, guys… I know a way we can settle this argument." He muttered, but already he had our undivided attention. "I was watching TV the other day and something like this came on… guys and girls arguing over who knew each other best…"

"I do believe I witnessed that also DanielJackson. Was it not and episode of "Friends" in which a quiz was developed to decide the contest?" Teal'c commented in his usually stoic manner.

"Yeah Teal'c that's it, if it's good enough for Friends, I don't see why it ain't good enough to settle this little disagreement. What do you two say? I can ask the questions, I have spent enough time listening to you over campfires on planets millions of miles away to be able to be fair about it!"

The idea had caught my attention, mainly due to my competitive streak, but also because I could finally show how much I knew about my favourite person without looking like I was obsessed or totally smitten.

"Sound's like a plan Danny boy, what say you Major?" Now I could tell by the look in her eyes that she wasn't at all thrilled with the idea, so I pushed just a little bit further, knowing that with a well placed comment and accompanying gesture, I could bait her into doing this. "Or is it too tough for ya Major?" I say raising my eyebrow. Watching her expression change from sensible disregard to murderous intentions, I knew I had won.

"Not a chance in hell Sir, bring it on Daniel! Let's just show our big clever colonel just how badly he's gonna get beaten this time" Her voice was determined and silky and it floated over my ears, doing things to my insides that I could not defend against.

Before I could utter anything in response Daniel got up and headed for the spare room.

"You two try not to kill each other while Teal'c and I go write a quiz!" He called over his shoulder and Teal'c stood to join him.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ ^*^*



"DanielJackson, are you quite sure that it wise to place Major Carter and O'Neill in a situation of competition?" The warrior queried.

"Teal'c, it's more than wise. It's long overdue. Can you see the sparks flying between them in there?" The Jaffa nodded and Daniel continued.

"They have been like that ever since the Zay'tark thing, and knowing what I know, I think that the only way to resolve this thing between them is to force them into a situation where they have no choice but to think and to feel. Besides, Hammond, Janet and I have been trying to think of a plan for weeks, and now that one has fallen into my hands, I'm not about to let it slip by"

"You are indeed very cunning DanielJackson"

"Why thank you Teal'c, but you haven't seen anything yet!"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*



"What's taking him so long for cryin' out loud?!"

"What's the matter Colonel, in a hurry to be humiliated?" She smiled at me, deceptively sweetly.

Putting down the Rubik's cube that had been annoying me for the last six weeks I answered.

"No Major, just in a hurry for more victory celebrations" my own smile was well and truly wiped off my face as I watched her pick up my Rubik's cube and in no more than three minutes have solved the puzzle. Placing the item back on the arm of my chair, she bent low enough to me so that I could feel her breath on my ear as she whispered

"Anything you say Colonel" well what *that* did to my insides, I don't need to explain, but suffice it to say that 20 minutes later when Danny and Teal'c came back into the room, my mind was still "preoccupied"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^



"Ok, guys. I have made some questions for you; you each get five questions. I know first hand, the answers to all the questions so no one can cheat. Are you ready?" Danny looked like he did when he had just found another "rock" his face had lit up like Christmas. But I was surprised when it was Teal'c who spoke next.

"DanielJackson, would it not make this battle more interesting if there was a prize to be gained?"

"Good idea Teal'c, but what?"

Now, knowing my tow friends like I did, I would normally have figured out pretty quickly that Sam and I where being royally set up, but like I said, I still wasn't quite on balance enough, so I jumped in both feet first.

"What'd'ya say Major, how about we make this more interesting?" I knew she was immediately intrigued, for all the science and intelligence, she is still competitive to a fault, especially when I bait her.

"What do you have in mind Colonel?" She answered. Now what I had in mind and what I could say where to totally different things, so I edged my bets.

"How about a wager Major? I win and you have to wear that Shavidi dress around base for a whole day!" I swear I only just hold onto my laughter at her reaction, another of those precious "eat shit and die" looks. But slowly I see her eyes change, her face breaking into a glinting smirk of it's own and I know that I'm in trouble.

"That's fine by me Sir, as long as *when* you lose, *you* wear the dress around base for a day" My, my! My Major has claws! Judging from the look of triumph that has already crossed her face, there is not a chance that I can say no and escape with any pride. "Of course, we'd have to get it altered so that a "woman's" dress would fit such a man as yourself Colonel!" she continued, pushing this new angle.

At some point, and I couldn't tell you exactly where, I realise that I have lost control over the direction and baiting taking place in this conversation. Not that it should surprise me; I tend to lose much of my balance where a certain Lady Major is concerned.

"You're on Carter, and I can't wait to see you back in that little number"

The look that passed between the two officers although charged, could not compare to the knowing glance that was sent from Daniel to Teal'c and back again.

"Well, if we are ready to begin, first question… What is the other's full name?"

"Daniel, I thought this was going to be difficult?" I say, not even bothering to hide my smug grin. Surely he must realise that I have personal files on my team and know most of their details off by heart.

"Starting you off slow Jack, come on, quit stalling… what's your answers?" he says looking at me in a way that should have alerted my brain a lot sooner than it did.

"Easy – Samantha Elizabeth Carter" Only when I realise the softening in my tone as I said her full name did I get a jolt as I look at her eyes. Something, something very small and a little difficult to perceive has changed in those blue eyes, but right now, I'm not exactly sure what that is. Although I soon realise as she gives her answer.

"Jonathon Charles O'Neill"

Wow, she said my real name, not Sir or Colonel, but my real name and the effect those words had on me as they rolled off her lips turned my heart into a jackhammer. Now I knew what had changed in her eyes.

Daniel smiled another knowing smile at Teal'c as they both witnessed the subtle change in their teammates.

"Ok, question two: What is the others full date of birth?"

Now, when I first heard the question, I almost jumped for joy, because I knew that my date of birth had been rubbed from my files. An action which had nothing to do with my own vanity, honest. It was thought it was a matter of national security. What? Don't ya believe me?

But before I could celebrate, I suddenly realised that I couldn't remember Sam's birthday… I mean I knew she was 33 and I knew it was September. But damn it, could I remember the date?

Ok, Jack think… 33, that would make it 1967, and you know it's the last half of September… damn it…!!!

Just then I looked up at Sam and I knew she was making the same mental calculations…of course she knew the date and month, but I knew she had no idea what year, so I had some breathing space.

"Ladies first…" I stalled looking at her as her brows knit with concentration…

"Ok, Daniel… The colonel's birthday is the 24th July, um… 19…. Um.. 54" she said with finality!

"Gee thanks Carter!" I replied without thinking… more affronted that she had pegged me a year older than I was than the fact that she didn't know. But I shouldn't have said anything, because then all eyes came on me and I didn't know either, well I did, I just couldn't pull it from my head!

"Jack, your answer please?" cued Daniel.

"Carter's birthday is The 22nd of September, 1967," I say with finality, but just as I utter the words "22nd of" I knew it was actually the 21st.

"No wait Daniel, it's the 21st!" I try to protest, but space monkey was having none of it.

"Sorry Jack, I have to take your first answer. You're both wrong… Jack was born in 1955 and Sam's birthday is the 21st" prompted Daniel, who was about to say more when Sam interrupted.

"Don't worry about it Sir, we're still level, despite you having the distinct advantage of at least being able to look that answer up somewhere!"

Once more her smile was innocent, but the undercurrent to her words showed how she felt at the apparent unfairness of the question. But I didn't even try to stick up for myself, for two reasons. First I *really* wanted to see her in that Shavidi dress and secondly because I somehow knew that I had hurt her feelings by not knowing her birthday straight away.

"Come on Danny, what's the next question? I'm losing momentum here!"

"Ok, Jack, don't be so impatient. Question three: What is the other's favourite colour?"

At precisely the same time, we both turn to each other and focus on the others eyes. Both knowing exactly what the other is thinking, and I have to admit I'm a little stunned. I mean I know that my favourite colour is a shimmering crystal blue that kinda looks like liquid metal, but I didn't realise that 'nearly black' effected her so much. Mental note to self: use that information wisely!

"Orange" I say for the sake of diplomacy "Blue" she says at the same time

"Both right" says Danny a split second later after throwing another look at Teal'c who raises is eyebrow's once more. But what I want to know, is just where this game became more than a game, how it did and why it did. But those are questions I'm gonna leave for later. The answers may be too dangerous to my sanity right around now.

"Question four: on missions, what is the other's least favourite ration?"

"Easy again Daniel" we both say at the same time

"Well ladies first" say I

"Age before beauty Sir," says she. Unknowingly with one comment bringing every self -doubt about my feelings for Carter succinctly to the surface. I know she was joking, but I can only manage a shallow smile as I answer.

"Macaroni Cheese"

"Ditto" comes her answer, and the words bring a smile to her face that I am not immune to, banishing the moment of cloudiness immediately.

"Tastes like chicken!" Muttered Daniel in laughing agreement.

"Right, you guys are level and this is the final question. You ready?"

We both nod.

"Question five: what is the other's favourite ice cream?"

That particular question really does stun me to silence. Immediately I look to Sam, who also supports a slightly guilty expression. She wouldn't have told Daniel about that, would she?

"Daniel Jackson" Interrupts Teal'c " How do you know the answer to that question?"

Right about then I didn't know whether I wanted to kill or kiss the ex first prime, and judging by the look on my Major's face, neither did she. What I did miss however was the look of timing that passed between the two cohorts. If I had have seen it, I would have known just how completely I was being set up.

"I know the answer Teal'c because the only two permanent residents in Jack's refrigerator are beer and ice-cream, and Sam and I used ice- cream as comfort food a few months back"

Watching the relief spring to Sam's eyes, I also see them cloud for just a second in pain, and I know mine echo hers. I also know just exactly when Danny boy means, but what he doesn't know is shortly after my return from Edora I went over to Sam's taking with me every conceivable variety of ice-cream and chocolate in a bid to grovel my way back into her life. And a she lifts her eyes to mine, I know she is remembering the self-same evening. An evening that although remaining innocent, radically altered the relationship we had. I answer her gaze with one of my own, once again wondering when the tension entered the game.

"She loves Double Chocolate Fudge Brownie," I say

"And he'd go to the next galaxy for some Rocky Road" She says

"Right again. Both of you. I guess this means the tie break question" Not expecting either a tiebreak or the look on Daniel's face, I do a very stupid thing.

"Well then Major, since this is getting so interesting, what say we up the ante?" When she merely raises her eyebrows I continue.

"How about if you I win this, as well as wearing the Shavidi dress, you have to wear a real dress for me one night. Oh yeah, and that night, you can only call me Jack. Or is that too tough for ya?"

As soon as the words where out of my mouth I regretted them. I don't know who out of the four of us was more stunned, but I knew I'd made a fatal error. We had agreed to keep it in the room, and here was I evicting it. I don't know why I did that, I just know I did and that it has something to do with those stupid GodDamn questions.

Yet to my eternal surprise, she doesn't run away screaming. She lifts her eyebrows once more and pleads innocence as she says.

"Ok Sir, as long as when I see *you* in that Shavidi dress, you'll be in a debriefing with the joint chiefs!" She is a witch. But I love her all the same.

"You're on Carter, but you know I ain't gonna loose! Come on Danny boy. It just got interesting"

"Jack, you're tie-break question: Is Sam ticklish?"

Oh my god. My thoughts where well and truly dragged back to the ice- cream night. It had started off well (after much begging and grovelling) we had watched a movie, a hockey match and then when Sam wouldn't share her ice cream, I got retribution by tickling.

Oh I knew damn well whether the woman was ticklish or not, I just wanted to damn well know how Danny did!

Although I looked at Sam and registered the embarrassment on her cheeks, I was too consumed with the idea of Danny knowing something so intimate about my Major that I didn't think about my reaction.

"Yes Danny, she is and how the hell do you know?!"

Daniel just looked at me with that suddenly very annoying "I know something you don't know" expression on his face and said very calmly.

"Well I could ask you the same question Jack, but seeing as you asked first and seeing as it seems to mean so much to you, Sam told me that was how Mark used to torment her when they where growing up"

Well right about then I felt like an idiot. Not only had I just given a clear indication to everyone who cared to look that I was as jealous as hell, I had also blown the story about our ice-cream night wide open and I knew Danny was going to want answers. So I decided to stall for time…

"Daniel, it's Sam's turn. And may I add Major, that you have to get this right or you pay your forfeits" Suddenly at that moment I realised I had never wanted to win anything quite so much in my whole damn life.

"Sam" said Daniel, taking my cue "Does Jack have a tattoo?"

Once more I didn't know whether it was Sam or I who was the most stunned and embarrassed. I knew the answer of course and all I could think of was that night a long time ago, somewhere in the Middle East after a successful mission. Me and some of the boys had gone celebrating and they'd talked me into a tattoo. Not much wrong with that I can here you say, well there is when you end up with your naked butt stuck in the air, drunkenly demanding that the guy draws a pretty pink teddy bare on your ass with a sign hung around it's neck saying "kiss me".

However my embarrassment soon gave away to joy, because I knew that there was no way Sam could know about that. So I looked her straight in the eyes just as she changed her expression.

Not once taking her eyes away from mine she answered slowly.

"I don't know Daniel"

Well the joy I felt at hearing those words was enough to catapult me to my feet and bring on round two of my "HA! I beat you" dance. Once again greeted with pillows and groans, but none of which came from Sam.

"Damn Teal'c, I can't sit through Jack's gloating again tonight" Muttered Daniel as he grabbed the coats.

Assuming that she was capitulating magnanimously, I went to her as she took her jacket from Daniel.

"Tomorrow night, 7pm. Don't forget, dress and 'Jack'"

I know gloating is extremely bad when you win, but you have to understand, I wasn't gloating over getting the questions right. I was making sure that I had actually got her to come out with me, because the thought of me and Sam alone, dressed up and her calling me by my name was like all my dreams coming true.

"Yes Sir. Pick me up when you're ready."

With that, they all left. Sam in her car, Teal'c and Danny heading back to base leaving me alone to tidy up and think on what had just happened. But even if Apophis himself had knocked on my door right now, my mind wouldn't have moved passed the fact that I was going out with Sam tomorrow.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*^



"DanielJackson, were you not certain that MajorCarter would win the quiz?" Asked Teal'c puzzlement lacing his words.

"Yeah Teal'c I thought I was. I *really* wanted to see Jack in that dress so I stacked the odds in Sam's favour. I knew they would tie, I'd planned it that way, let em tie while getting em thinking about certain "unmilitary" things, but I thought I had a sure bet with the tiebreaker. I didn't know Jack knew she was ticklish, what I want to know, is *how* he knows. But the thing I didn't get was that Sam *knows* Jack has a tattoo. She had mistakenly walked in the locker room without him noticing and she had seen it. She bumped into me as she made her escape and promised me not to tell."

"Why then did she not give the correct response DanielJackson?"

"Well that puzzled me a while too Teal'c until I realised. She didn't want to win, she wanted to lose"

"Why would she want to…" Teal'c stopped in mid-sentence, everything suddenly becoming clear.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*



SATURDAY EVENING



I can count on one hand how many times I have been truly nervous in my life.

Not many, but tonight, nervous was a word that didn't do my state of mind justice. I had washed, combed, and shaved within an inch of my life. I had booked the best restaurant this side of the mountain and I was wearing my best clothes and carrying a bunch of flowers. But right now, I was stood outside my Major's door completely lacking the courage to push the bell.

Finally, a few minutes later after giving myself a dressing down that would have done my old drill instructor proud, I pressed the bell. Knowing that I was taking a huge gamble tonight, but determined not to let her see my nerves.

Suddenly the door opened and out floated the most gorgeous creature I have ever seen in my entire life. I stood rooted to the spot, my eyes taking in every detail of her, my heart threatening to burst right through my chest.

Her hair glistened like gold, her eyes sparkling and vivid, her lips… and that dress… OH MY GOD! It clung to every curve and accentuated every nuance of her body and it was the very colour of her eyes when she smiled. I knew right at that moment that I was a goner.

Because of my newly initiated state of speechlessness, I didn't see the answering appreciation in her own eyes. Her gaze roaming over my all black ensemble of jacket, shirt and pants bringing an answering glaze to her own eyes.

Belatedly I recovered enough composure to hand her the flowers. As she took them from me I felt the briefest contact of hand on hand.

"Thank you, they are beautiful *Jack*"

Thankfully she went back inside to put them in water, giving me just enough time to talk myself out of grabbing her, telling her that it was her that was beautiful and kissing her until she knew I meant it.

I was still having trouble with the effect that her saying my name had had on me when she returned. But I had gathered enough of me together to offer her my arm as I led her to the car.

By the time we had got to the restaurant, I had utilised years of black ops training and pulled myself together enough to have the most wonderful evening. The food was wonderful, the company even better and I just couldn't let it go. So as the music became slow and gentle I stood up and pulled the woman I loved onto the dance floor.

I could tell that she was shocked, but the second I pulled her into my arms I felt her mould her body to me, everything other than the two of us in that moment disappeared.

For most of the song we didn't speak, we just lost ourselves in sensation, my hand on the small of her back, her chin resting on my shoulder so I could feel her breath on my neck.

So lost in the moment was I that it took me a second or two to realise that she was talking to me.

"Jack, I have a confession to make" at that point I was still not capable of forming sounds which could even be considered words, so I just nodded for her to continue.

"The quiz Daniel set up was fixed. Daniel knew I knew the answer to the tie-break question." She looked up at me with hesitant eyes, and suddenly I was hit right between the eyes with the impact of my brain catching up to her words.

"You know about my tattoo?" I stumbled and as she merely nodded, she turned her eyes away from mine and stared at my left shoulder.

"Yeah, the pretty pink teddy bear with the sign around it's neck" She confessed as if to prove herself.

At that moment I needed her to answer me one more question, more than I'd ever needed her to answer me before. So taking a gulp of air I fell back on my suicidal gung-ho attitude.

"Why did you get it wrong then Sam?"

Just then, my lungs really did stop functioning all together, especially when she lifted her eyes to meet mine and said without shame or fear

"Because as much as I wanted to see you in that dress Jack, I liked your forfeit so much more"

Smiling a smile that threatened to spilt my face in two the only thing I said was "good" and with that I leant down and became a willing participant in the sweetest, most soul searing kiss that I had ever experienced.

When I finally had no choice but to let us surface for air, the unspoken communication was not misunderstood and minutes later we were putting on jackets. Just as I slid her arms into soft velvet material, the headwaiter came strolling back to us carrying something.

A puzzled glance shot between us, but my eyes where focussed on nothing more than the liquid crystal before me as the waiter's delicate cough broke the charged air.

"Excuse me Sir, Madam. But I was asked to give this to you upon your departure this evening." Handing me a letter he continued "I hope you have had a pleasant evening" and left.

Once more looking into Sam's eyes we told each other that however "pleasant" this evening had been, it was about to get a whole lot better. But first, I had to see what was in the letter. Opening it, I held it between us for us both to read.

Sam being Sam, got to the end way before I did, and upon hearing her shocked gasp, I skipped a few lines and was rooted in the same shock.

The letter was from Daniel, Teal'c, Janet and Hammond. All had written a little something, each little something took our collective breath away.

Teal'c: "Do not waste this opportunity my friends, be happy."

Daniel: "HA! You can thank me tomorrow."

Janet: "Take it out of the room, where it belongs"

And finally our General.

Hammond: "Worry about nothing, it's all fixed. Just be happy *together*"

If that wasn't enough, the PS added to the general's handwriting was.

"Tell her son. That's an order!"

Looking once more at those unique eyes, I saw the same emotions I was feeling. Shock, understanding, happiness and an appreciation for my friends that was beyond words. But most of all I was feeling… and who was I to go against orders.

So looking deep into the soul of the woman I was going to spend the rest of my life with, I thanked God for my friends and for my blessings and whispered.

"I love you Sam"

Her answer was literally a breathtaking smile as she reached around my neck and pulled my lips to hers. Just as they touched, I heard and felt her response.

"I love you to Jack."

We made the journey home in the shortest time possible, but as we stood on my porch, I halted my key's journey to the lock. There was something I needed to say.

"Sam, I have another question for you, but this time there is no forfeit, you only win. Your prize (if you can call it that) is me." She knew what was coming next because she started to cry tears that are the diametric opposite of sadness.

So with a lump in my throat, stood in the entrance to my home, disregarded all previous questions and asked the one that would give me all my dreams. "Will you marry me Sam?"

"You should already know my answer Jack, didn't you win the quiz?" she smiled mischievously, but sensing the emotion in my eyes she answered.

"Of course I will" and with those few words, I collapsed into the arms of the woman I loved, ready to spend an eternity getting to her inside out.



THE END

Feedback?