samandjack.net

Story Notes: Rating: M

Spoilers: D&C

Archiving: SJA, Heliopolis, My site. All others, ask first.

Warnings: Character death, SJR, Angst, the usual… pack your kleenex for this one.


It was just after the saga with Martouf and the zatarcs that caused so much havoc back at the base. Jack had finally admitted to himself and Sam how he felt, and things seemed to be getting a lot better between the two of them. Apart from an agreement that what they had said wouldn't leave the room, things were pretty much the same on base, except maybe the flirting moved up to a whole new level. The whole facility was buzzing with rumours about it, ranging from a betting pool for when the wedding would be, to when the baby would be born, and everything in between. Off base, however, things were quite different. They met up by accident in town one afternoon, during down time, and went for a bite to eat. After a wonderful afternoon spent with the woman he was rapidly falling for, they decided to see a movie. Nothing overly romantic and sappy, really, just a movie that was on at the time. They spent about half the time watching the screen, and the other half watching each other.

The movie was almost over when Sam turned back to face Jack, whispering softly as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Jack," Shivers running up and down his spine and his heart to pounding, Jack looked down into Sam's eyes, his hands involuntarily reaching up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "Why don't you just stop watching the movie for a minute, come over here and kiss me?" A devilish smile on his lips, he leant in and kissed her softly. The kiss slowly gained intensity, eventually reaching the point where they were both running short of air. Sitting there with stupid grin on their faces, they looked like a pair of teenagers at an old fashioned drive-in. The rest of the evening was spent in an intense game of tonsil hockey, oblivious to everything else.

The weeks flew by, following what quickly became a routine: behaving on missions, making out when they were alone, and just flirting heavily when they were with Daniel and Teal'c. They were both fairly sure that Daniel knew what was going on, he could be annoyingly perceptive at times. They chose not to clarify things for him because, well, he was a bit excitable as well. Though Danny was like a little brother to them, they just didn't want him blurting something that he shouldn't by accident, especially around the general. Teal'c might have noticed, but then again, maybe not. Nobody really could tell with the big Jaffa.

One Saturday night, they had managed to avoid doing anything with the others, so they could steal a few hours with each other. Jack drove over to her place, and she met him at the door. A wicked smile on her lips, she set her shoulders back, allowing Jack to run his eyes over her. She was wearing a bombshell little black number that highlighted her curves, and those go-on-for-ever legs of hers. A hint of floral perfume wafted past his nose as he handed over a bouquet of red roses like a school-boy on his first date. She took a deep sniff, smiling as she openly eyed his figure up and down several times. Jack smiled back at her as she returned his frank appraisal. Tight, faded blue jeans, loose fitting white shirt, and a dark leather jacket combined with the scent of Old Spice shaving lotion to produce an audible purr of appreciation from the major. They got into the car and drove off towards a little bistro that Jack had discovered by accident on the outskirts of town.

Grimacing, Jack turned the wipers on as the spots of rain on the windscreen grew more intense. Reaching down, he flicked the radio into life, the distinctive strains of the blues filling the car. Rounding the corner, Jack frowned as the lights of an oncoming car approached. "What is that jerk doing?" Jack's exclamation came as he noticed that the other car was heading straight for them, on the wrong side of the road. Swinging the wheel, Jack tried to get out of the way, but it was too late. There was a sickening crash as the front of Jack's vehicle clipped the side of the other car and went over. His head slammed into the driver's side window as the roof of the car hit the ditch and flipped again. The last thing he heard over the ringing in his ears was the muted sound of Sam's terrified scream, instants before the car rolled into a tree…

We were out on date in my daddy's car
We haven't driven very far
There in the road straight ahead
A car was stalled the engine was dead
I couldn't stop so I swerved to the right
I'll never forget the sound that night
The screaming tires the busting glass
The painful scream that I heard last

Ignoring the fireworks going off inside his head, Jack opened his eyes, blinking the blood out of them. His right arm pinned, he was forced to use his shattered left arm to undo the seat belt and reach over the passenger side. "Sam! Sam! Wake up! C'mon, Sam… Please!" Her pulse faint, Sam's eyes flickered a moment before focusing on Jack. She opened her mouth to say something as a racking cough gripped her, a bright red stream cascading from her mouth. Looking up at the man she loved, she whispered through the blood. "Jack… hold me….don't let me go….." Wrapping his arms around her, Jack tried to transmit everything he felt for her through his embrace, letting her know how much he loved her, better than any words could have expressed. "I'm here, Sammie, I won't let you go…" Sam shivered as Jack stroked her bloody blonde hair, leaning into his caress. He lifted her chin and leant in, placing a tender kiss on her red lips as she shivered one last time before going limp in his arms, her vacant eyes still staring at him. As the blackness folded in around him once more, he whispered, "Wait for me, Sam, I'll see you at the end…."

When I woke up the rain was pourin down
There were people standing all around
Something warm pulling through my eyes
But somehow I found my baby that night
I lift up her head she looked at me and said
"Hold me darlin just a little while"
I held her close I kissed her our last kiss
I found the love that I know I had missed
But now she's gone even though I held her tight
I lost my love, my life that night.

End….