samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Ok basically you have to know everything.

Sequel: Longing to be with you.

Archive: Heliopolis, Sam and Jack Archive, Shipper Sanctuary, everyone else please asks first. I'll say yes. I just want to be able to come and visit.

Date: 3 April 2002

Authors Notes: I wasn't going to write it, but I had my wisdom teeth pulled, and so, unable to do anything and wallowing in the glorious drugs which have kept me thus far pain free. I though why the hell not. Oh and it's not better edited, so you'll just have to go with my drug induced ramblings.


"Thank you Major. Does anyone have anything else to add." Jack quickly glanced around at the tired expressions on his friend's faces. "No Sir." The General nodded, having already reached the same conclusion. "Well in that case, you're all dismissed. Have a good evening." "night sir" "night General" "Goodnight General" After a long day Sam was looking forward to a
nice long hot soak in a bath. "Colonel, if that's all." "Yeah, I'll see ya tomorrow Carter." "Night Sir. Night guys." "Yeah see ya Sam." "Goodnight Major Carter." Nodding to her attractive team Sam shook her head as she left the base, what some woman wouldn't give to have such nice scenery everyday. Parking her 1961 Volvo Coupe out the front of her house Sam stopped to retrieve her mail before making her way inside. Dumping her briefcase, keys and mail on the table Sam moved to her kitchen retrieving a bottle of Riesling before heading back to her ensuite. Popping in a CD, Bach's Doppelkonzert Double Concerto, Allegro di molto, Sam began to fill the Queen Victorian bath adding in a drop of sandalwood, peach, lime and jasmine oil before quietly sliding in. Completely submerged Sam watched as her hair floated around her face and the weightless feeling that came with water and fragrant oils. Propping her head back out of the water Sam leaned back against the edge of the bath, a contented sigh escaping her lips.

Some time later reluctantly Sam dragged her wrinkled form out of the bath, wrapped snuggly in a thick white bathrobe she drowned the last of her wine, the bottle disappearing quicker that she had thought possible. Trudging back into her kitchen she deposited the empty bottle in her recycling bin before locking up the house. It was then that she caught sight of the discarded pile of mail. Flicking through she found the usual assortment of bills and junk-mail except for a small cream envelope with a gold seal. The address and been written in neat hand-writing. No return address. Frowning Sam opened the envelope inside in the same neat writing Sam found a card.

1352 Sovereign Ave
Colorado Springs

Dear Doctor Major Samantha Carter
I wished to congratulate you on your recent promotion to the rank of Major, no doubt you worked hard for the title and are very proud. I have taken in interest of late in your career and your research, however I am ashamed to admit that many of your theories are a little complex for me to understand. I hope that one day we might meet in person.
Sincerely Nick.

Shaking her head Sam chucked the letter in her briefcase before shutting out the lights and heading to bed.

The next few weeks went buy in a blur for Sam as she learnt of her fathers Cancer, befriended a race called the Tok'rah, learned of Jolinars former lover Martouf, continued to fight her feelings for the Colonel and watched as her father became a Tok'rah, sharing his body with Selmac. Sam had virtually spent the last few weeks living on the base, if she wasn't on a mission, she was chatting to her father or engrossed in some research. Following her latest crisis Sam had arranged with her bank for all her bills and loan repayments to be automatically deducted from her account, one less thing to worry about. Therefore Sam was surprised when she arrived home to find more mail awaiting her. Automatically chucking out all the junk-mail her eyes landed on the familiar cream colored envelope, frowning she silently opened it.

1352 Sovereign Ave
Colorado Springs

Dear Major Samantha Carter
I was disappointed not to receive a reply to my letter, however I suspect I did not put my PO Box on the letter. This minor oversight on my part has been rectified. I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely Nick.

"Yeah right." Again Sam chucked the letter in her briefcase. Who was this weirdo? She hadn't even given him a passing thought over the last few weeks. Heading to bed she fell into and exhausted sleep, the last few weeks had been emotionally draining for her to say the least.

The next day Daniel arrived to pick Sam up, they were all concerned for, she looked tired and all wished she would take some time off before her body refused to continue on. Daniel took one look as her house, and the rings around her eyes before ordering her back to bed. She tried to protest but Daniel would have none of it. He knew he was the only one she would let take care of her. She never wanted to appear weak in-front of Jack, even though it was plain to see he was desperately worried about her. Tidying up the best he could, he left some food in her fridge then ringing the base to inform them that Sam was taking the day off. Although surprised Jack nodded, he was relived that Daniel had been able to get her to take a day to rest.

The following day Daniel returned to find a much refreshed Sam, smiling to himself he was glad he had insisted that she take the day off, even if she had sat at home all day winging that he was so mean to her. She knew it was only out of love. As they headed out to his car Sam grabbed up her mail. The trip into the base was made in silence, bored Sam flicked through her mail, a disgruntled sigh escaping her when she spotted the cream envelope. Daniel Glanced at Sam over his glasses "Not bad news I hope?" Surprised Sam looked back up at him. No just some weird guy who has taken me up as his new pet hobby." Carefully opening the envelope Sam almost dropped it as she read.

1352 Sovereign Ave
Colorado Springs

Dear Samantha Carter
I have as yet still not received a reply from you. I understand however that you are a busy woman. It must be hard for you working in Cheyenne Mountain for the long hours that you do. Sometimes you don't leave for a week at a time. That's when I start to miss you.
Your Nick.

"He knows where I work. Miss me. Your Nick." Sam whispered "Sam. Is everything ok?" As if she suddenly realised she had said that out loud she folded the letter up slipping it into her bag
before mumbling that everything was fine, nothing to worry about. Naturally Daniel didn't buy one word of it.

Colonel Jack O'Neill sighed as he heard the knock at his door, however his destine for paperwork one out as he called for the person to come in. Jack was surprised to see Daniel enter, normally at this time of the morning, the young Archeologist was well into his third cup of coffee, head buried in a book or bothering Sam with some question or chatting to Janet or Teal'c. He seldom sought out Jack in the morning. He was generally to chipper for Jack. Most people were before 1000. However the expression worn by his friend silenced any wisecracks that had been burning on the tip of his tongue. "What's up Danny?" taking a breath Daniel considered how he should proceed. "Daniel. What's going on." "I don't know Jack. I just... It's Sam... I just have this weird feeling." "Daniel." "I, don't know Jack. She's gone through a lot lately, hell all of us have." "What are you getting at Danny?" "Hell I don't know, I haven't even had a cuppa coffee today, just um maybe keep an eye on Sam, I think she really needs a friend right now, she's been getting... forget it. I had better go." As abruptly as he arrived, he was gone leaving Jack scratching his head.

Life only got more strange when Sg-1 where called to visit Hanka where they found a child Cassandra the sole survivor, Sam quickly fell in-love with her, only to be heartbroken when they discovered a bomb in her chest, a present from Nuriti. Thankfully everything turned out for the best with Janet agreeing to adopt Cassandra. The group sat together in the park "Sam, see my dog." "Your dog?" "It's an earth rule, every child has got to have one." Sam couldn't help smiling at her CO, he could be so adorable sometimes. That evening Sam found another note slipped under her door.

1352 Sovereign Ave
Colorado Springs

Dear Sam
I heard you preferred to be called Sam. The Archeologist called you Sam much like the other one. I don't like him; I have seen you out with him at the park. There was another child that I had not seen before with you and the archeologist. I don't like the way he looks at you. You should be careful as to his intentions.
Always Nick.

Sam could only chuck the letter into the pile with the others, the thought that somewhere this lunatic was watching her running through her mind as she checked every window and door before heading up to bed.

A week later Jack had organised to have a BBQ at his house under the guise of familiarising Cassie and Teal'c with earth culture, anyone who knew him knew it was just so he could put on his kiss the cook apron which always got a smile from Sam. Daniel picked Sam up, the two of them heading into town to pick up supplies before they headed to the Colonels house. They had even managed to convince the General to stop in for a while. Sam and Daniel walked quietly down the street smiling at the people they passed, Sam ducked into the bottle shop picking up a bottle of Scotch for Jack, she new he liked the single malt, not because it was fashionable, but because it was what he had always drunk. Smiling Daniel waited outside for and together they headed for his house. The drive took them a full half hour before they finally reached Jacks house. "Sam, Daniel. I was about to send out a search party." Jack greeted his friends embracing Daniel in a manly hug before giving Sam a soft kiss on the cheek. "Yeah, sorry about that Jack, Sam wanted to stop and pick something up." "Oh?" "I wonder if Janet needs a hand with anything?" "Subtle, isn't he?" Jack watched on in amusement as Sam silently blushed. "Um, Yeah. I got you something." Sam quickly blurted before producing the hastily wrapped bottle. "Thank you Sam, but you really shouldn't have." "I know. It's sort of a thank you. For putting up with everything these past weeks, life's been... interesting." Jack could only chuckle. "Interesting, yeah. I always knew it would be if you were around." Placing a hand to the small of her back he escorted her out to the rest of their friends. Hammond and Teal'c were taking turns pushing Cassie on a swing while Daniel was quietly talking to Janet. "Lets eat."

The BBQ went off without a hitch, Hammond making his farewell's shortly after having to return to base, while the rest of the group settled down for some friendly conversation. Eventually Cassie and Teal'c drifted off into Jacks lounge room where Return of the Jedi was screaming to be watched leaving Janet, Daniel, Sam and Jack lazily sprawled on Jack's lawn each sipping their respective drinks.

As the evening worn on Teal'c volunteered to drive Daniel, Janet and Cassie home, after Jack insisted that Sam stay and help him christen his newest addition. Stumbling inside giggling, Jack barely able to help keep Sam on her feet, both arms wrapped around each other in a vain attempt to stay upright, they found the video still playing.

"So have you finally managed to watch Star Wars yet." Sam almost slurred. "Actually I have, a little overrated wouldn't you say" that earned him the playful smack he had expected. Knowing deep down that Sam was a closet Sci-fi fan. "Actually I could kinda relate to the Han Solo guy" "I though as much, you both have that whole rugged, shoot from the hip, ask questions second, good loo" "What was that last one" "Nothing, forget I said it." "I don't think so major." Jack cheekily replied before tickling her. Unfortunately Sam lost her footing and fell rather ungracefully onto the couch, giggling all the way. Jack was immediately at her side seemingly to have sobered up remarkably fast. In the background Han leaned forward drawing Leia up into a passionate kiss, Sam's giggling immediately ceased. "Jack. I, ah. I should go." Moving with some degree of precision Sam managed to make it to the phone calling a cab before her traitorous heart could stop her. Sighing Jack hauled himself up to his feet following Sam as she made her way to the door. "Sam." Leaning against his chest she managed to whisper "God, I'm sorry Jack, I just wish things were different. I've just got some things on my mind. I'm sorry Jack. Things are a little complicated right now" "It's ok Sam." The sound of the Cab drivers horn forced the pair apart "Goodnight, Sir. And... Thank you." Their last contact was broken as Sam drew her hand from his heart, immediately leaving Jack feeling bereft, he placed his hand over his heart where hers had been. Watching as she made her way down the short path to the road before whispering "sweet dreams."

Sam paid the driver, thanking him before getting out. Stepping in her front door the note on the ground immediately sent a chill through her.

Dearest Sam
You still have not headed my warning; this distresses me greatly when I see that you are still associating with him. I saw you and the Archeologist, Daniel today shopping. You were buying something for him. I know I saw you take it to his house. Its a little big wouldn't you say for only one person. Don't worry Sam I'll keep an eye on him too, even though you wont listen to me now, I know he's dangerous, I'll be there to protect you when the time comes.
Always yours, Nick.

Throwing the letter into the pile with the others Sam had finally had enough, this was going beyond annoying, this freak was watching her. Scared Sam stumbled blindly through her house she scrambled to reach for the phone. Crouching on the ground in the dark Sam punched in the only number she could think of. "Hello. Hello. Look I'm gonna hang up now." "colonel." Jack barely heard her. "Sam what's wrong. I'm coming over ok." Jack arrived shortly after opening the door with his spare key after he received no reply. Moving through her darkened hallways he found her crouched near the kitchen. Striking out, Jack was taken off guard collecting a fist to his stomach, temporarily winding him. Grabbing her wrists he pulled her close to him, trying to force some air back into his lungs and comfort her. "Sam. Shhh, it's me. Your safe." "jack" his heart almost broke to see her so vulnerable. Helping her up he carried her over to a couch. "Sam." Nothing she just stared out over his shoulder. "SAM grabbing onto her shoulders he tried to get her attention, her eyes eventually met his. "Jack." Leaning forward he immediately took her into his embrace. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have called." "What's going on Sam, your starting to scare me now." She could see the genuine fear in his eyes.

He had never seen her this unglued, it scared him more than the time she was host to Jolinar. At least then he still had his tough no nonsense major. Sam silently indicated a pile of cream envelopes on her table. Opening each of them slowly Jack was horrified as he continued to read. Why hadn't she told any of them, and this latest one, was this freak actually threatening him. "Sam I'm going to call the cops, ok. They know how to sort this sort off thing out. There going to catch this guy, you'll see." Several hours later, Sam had given her statement to the police, Jack carried an exhausted Sam upstairs tucking her into bed. Everything is going to be ok Sam." That was one promise Jack sincerely hoped he could keep. Moving downstairs Jack grabbed some blankets and pillows from the hall closet before making up a bed on the couch.

Sam woke the next morning in her clothes feeling rather confused until the events of the evening slowly seemed into her sleep befuddled mind. Making her way downstairs she couldn't help but smile at the sight of her CO curled up on her couch, he looked terribly uncomfortable. Heading into the kitchen she turned the coffee pot poking her head out the front door she retrieved the paper before popping some toast on. With the smell of food cooking Sam grabbed a cup of coffee before heading over to her sleeping Colonel, smiling to herself she remembered how good he had been last nigh. Not once had she feelt like an idiot for calling him.

Sensing he was being watched Jack opened one eye groaning as his back protested. "Next time were sharing the bed, I don't care, my back can't take this." Smiling down at him Sam pressed the cup of coffee into his hand helping him to sit up. "Next time, sir?" "Well, you know" Sam turned Jack so his back was facing her."Carter, what are you...ohh, god that feels good, a little lower mmm." Sam could only smile at the contented purr from her CO. "When did you get so good at this?" "Always have been sir. My Dad used to come home from long missions a wreck, and then the same with Jonas. I guess it's like riding a bike." Sam's nimble fingers worked their magic on his stiff back, working lower he began to relax into her leaning further back against her, as her fingers unerringly found his sorest spots in the small of his back. "That's it Sam, your mine now. I'm booking in for a Carter massage after every mission." Sam could only chuckle as she kept working on him. "Sir, about last night. Thank you." "Hey, you should have told me before, I cant believe you put up with that for so long. The cops are on it now, you'll see, they'll find him." Sam nodded as she heard the toast pop. Moving to get up she was not disappointed by the expected protest. Returning she deposited a plate in his lap before pouring through the newspaper. Jack watched on contentedly, glad that she was a semblance of her old self again when she suddenly stopped. Craning his neck he could see another cream envelope between the pages. "Sam, give it to me." Obediently she complied handing him the envelope. Silently he read on.

Dearest Sam
Why did you have to go and show my letters to the Police? They were private, you probably showed him too. I know you did. Why can't you see that I am the one you should be with? I'm the one that loves you not this other jerk. I want you to stop seeing him. You're only leading him on. Come away with me, I can make you happy. Meet me at the Park next Saturday at 5.00.
Always, your Nick.

"Sam, where going to get this guy, you hear me, where going to get him."

They waited, and waited, he never showed, that evening Jack helped Sam back home, it had been an emotionally draining day for her. Slipped under the door was another envelope.

My Dearest Sam
Why did you bring the Police to the park, I saw them from where I was standing, they were waiting for me. Why are you doing this, cant you see that I love you. I stood there in the park watching as the setting sun shone in you blonde hair, and watched as your eyes filled with tears. And then he came. You told him, and he was there to comfort you. How I wanted to be the one with my arms wrapped around you, your head resting on my chest my hand gently stroking you back. But no. You turned to him.
Forever Nick.

Jack felt sick as he read the note, this SOB had been watching them the whole time. Moving through her house Jack checked that everything was locked up. "Sam, your gonna have a police guard outside all night, Ok. I've gotta go." Sam stood clutching the door, tears streaming down her face. It unnerved Jack to see her like this, the only time he could ever remember seeing her cry was when she found out about her father. She would never cry in front of him. And at the same time he was glad that she felt comfortable enough to. Moving closer to her he took her into his arms trying to offer her some comfort. Brushing her tears away with his thumbs, her crystal blue eyes met his dark chocolate. Slowly, almost reverently he lowered his lips to hers. The kiss was soft and yet the passion that passed as Sam clung to him left him with no doubt. Breaking away as the need for air became more insistent Jack again wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Everything is going to be alright Sam."

My Darling Sam
You let him kiss you. I saw him pick you up in the morning and drop you off at night, I grit my teeth and can taste blood when I see him go into your house, he's looking for me. I see you crying as he leaves, and watch as he comforts you. But you let him kiss you. He had no right, you belong to me.
Forever Nick.

Sam could scarcely breathe when she found the note under her door the next morning. Running outside she woke the police demanding to know what kind of protection they were supposed to be offering her if they couldn't even keep their eyes open? Dressing quickly Sam left for work, content that she would be safe at the base.

Daniel and Janet both stopped in to check up on her during the day, under the guise of asking her some important question that just couldn't wait. While Sam appreciated their concern, all she really wanted to do was forget about the jerk for a while. After their third visit in an hour, Sam had had enough, laying the law down to her friends. The rest of the day Sam actually enjoyed, she was able to do some work on her naquada reactor and the group had lunch together, practically killing themselves laughing as Daniel tried to explain the concept of Jelly Wrestling.

My Darling Sam
It occurred to me that I have never seen the inside of your house before. Being in a relationship as long as we have I decided that I should see how you live. You are away again on another 'mission' most likely you will not be back for some days. I thought I should know a little about your family. You have a brother Mark, who has a niece and nephew, which live in San Diego. Cute kids, I liked the photo on your mantle of them. I also saw the one of your Dad. A general, so you must have been an Army brat right. I noticed there were no current picture of you and your mum, sorry. Did I tell you I liked your house? You can tell a lot about a person. Timber floors, stainless steel fridge; oh you out of whipped cream. I have to say half the books you have on your shelf I couldn't even pronounce the titles of. I see your a Denver Broncos fan, me too. And well I left my most favorite room till last. If you have a look in your bed, I left a little present for you.
Love Nick.

PS. Sam I didn't want to be one of those possessive types, but if you don't start staying away from him... He'll feel the pain that I feel everyday.

Sam had just arrived home finding the envelope on the floor she pulled out her mobile calling Jack. Minutes later he arrived to find her pacing outside her house. Wrapping one arm around her they approached the front door, opening the envelope Jack was horrified to think that the creep had been pouring is grubby mitts all over Sam's possessions, and that he knew so much about her. Leaving Sam downstairs Jack made his way up to her bedroom. Disgusted he could only stare in shock at her room. Her bed was a mess, sheets strewn across the floor and what looked like a mixture of whipped cream and sperm covered her bed. Sam's scream beside him promptly throwing him into action as he spun her around leading her out of the soiled room. "That's it Sam, your not staying here another night." Bundling her into the car Jack escorted the shell shocked major back to the base.

Sam
You called him; you walked in your door, picked up my letter and called him. I told you not to do that. You just let him in and I take it form that scream I just head you didn't like what I left. I told you not to call him. It was supposed to be just us tonight, I was waiting for you. But you had to go and ruin it by calling him. I can't have him coming between us anymore. Tell him to stop or I will be forced to take this particular matter into my own hands. I don't have a problem with that.
Love Nick

Sam's hands trembled as she read the letter on her desk. How had he managed to get into the base? With a deep resolves she vowed that she wouldn't let him hurt her friends. For some reason this Nick character thought there was something between her and the Colonel. Of all the stupid things. Ok so showing the general some of the letters had been embarrassing, especially the one about them kissing, but didn't that just prove what a lunatic he was. The police couldn't help anymore, that had already been proven the night before. Dialing security, Sam didn't have to wait long till several MP's arrived, explaining the situation to them they hurriedly left to speak to the general about jurisdiction. Sent the letter was found on base it was theirs. With the paper work taken care of the MP's got to work.

Attn. Major Samantha Carter USAF
Cheyenne Mountain

Dearest Sammy
Why did you have to go and have MP's looking for me, some how they managed to find out where I lived? But don't worry I saw them coming. I have a nice new place. I'm sure you will like it. That is if you ever come out of the Mountain. I understand your living there now. That's not necessary. You can stay with me. I can imagine your neighbors are happy to see you go after all the trouble you have caused. You'll be happy. We can play chess on Saturdays like you always do and take early morning walks. Just come out of the mountain. I guess you're pretty mad at me for saying that stuff about him. I saw you crying. I didn't want that. I just want you to be with me.
Love Always Nick

Several days past and no one was able to find Nick, Sam had continued to worry and General Hammond had taken SG-1 off active duty, until the situation could be resolved, with the latest letter came the realization that it was one of them. A thought so chilling Sam found herself questioning everyone. Even poor Simmons had been questioned by the MP's, everyone knew he has a thing for Sam but none really believed it was him. Sam apologized profusely for having to have put him through the questioning, and as expected he told he not to worry about it. Teal'c found himself along with Daniel and Jack spending more time down at her lab, and while no one said anything Sam was glad they were there.

Major Samantha Carter
Level 19 J-3

Dearest Sammy
I asked you nicely to leave the base, I missed you. But don't worry, I can see you again now. It took a little work but you're worth it. Now I can keep an eye on you all day. I see all three men keep coming to check on you. The big one may be a problem; he's a little strange. But I found this interesting weapon which I think might do the trick, it looks like something outta Star Trek. Then we can be together.
Love Forever Nick

Did he actually think they could be together, and how the hell did he get his hands on a zat. Sam didn't want to even leave her lab, Teal'c stood on guard beside her all day, incredulous that some one would threaten him.

To my love
Sam. This will be my last letter. As I write this I can hear the alarms sounding in the corridors. He did it. I saw you run to him. It's over I am too good for you. You do not deserve my love. But I will tell you one thing He loves you, that's why he is sending all these men who now run down the halls carrying weapons to kill me. He wants you for himself. Just as I did. In my time here I have heard rumors of others that have loved you. Men with unusual names, but men that loved you. And you threw it back in their faces. Orlin, Nariem, Martouf. However you threw away the love of another. My best friend Jonas. I listened to him talk of you for years and then one day he was gone. I fell in love with you through Jonas's stories. When he died I knew it was my chance. It took me a while to track you down. But it was worth it. I hope for this Colonel's sake he doesn't fall for you. It seems to be a death sentence for men. I will love you even in death Samantha, always and forever.
Nick Ambrose.

And as ambiguously as it started, it was over. Sam crouched beside Jack trying to put some pressure on his wounded arm. Beside them lay the still form of the man which had terrorized Sam for so long. Dressed in medical scrubs Janet stared on incredulous that someone from her staff had been responsible for her friend's terror. Sam ran her hand down Jacks face resting on his cheek. She could feel the fresh stubble under fingers.

In that one precious moment Jack felt no pain as he starred back up at Sam. There was nobody but them. "Sam" her name whispered on his breath. "Yes Jack." Grabbing onto the collar of her BDU Jack dragged her down to him their lips meeting in an explosive kiss before they clung to each other infinitely relived that the crisis was over and something new was beginning. From the ashes of Nick the start of something strong had been inflamed, forming a spark that promised to burn bright till the end of their days.