samandjack.net

Story Notes: Archiving: S/J anyone else please ask

Thanks: To Lyn B for beta-ing - thanks mate!

Feedback: let me know what you think!


Jack O'Neill took another step forward and winced as the bright sunlight shone into his eyes. Taking out and arranging his sunglasses, he muttered, "All right campers what've we got?"

Teal'c stepped up to O'Neill and impassively reported, "O'Neill, there do not appear to be signs of life in the immediate vicinity".

"Check. Carter?" Jack turned to his 2IC who was hunched over the DHD.

"DHD seems okay, sir. M.A.L.P report of sunny climate seems to be confirmed..."

Jack stared up into the trees at the piercing shards of light that dotted through the clearing and though he'd never admit his choice, aimed a quick "ya think" at his blonde companion. As he'd hoped, she smiled briefly at his sarcasm then continued in her report, "...but I agree with Teal'c there's no sign of the aliens who appeared on the M.A.L.P transmission nor any obvious signs of civilization".

"Thank you, Major...Daniel, in a sentence of 10 words or less, comprised of words with only two syllables - whaddya think?" Scanning the horizon and waiting impatiently for Daniel to reply, Jack was not surprised when none was forthcoming. "Alright Danny-boy, I'll let you have 15 words, but only 'cause I'm a nice guy." When the doctor failed to respond, Jack's jocular attitude disappeared abruptly, and he turned on his heel to where the young scientist had been standing. "Daniel?... Dammit, Danny..."

"Everything okay, sir?" came Carter's call from across the clearing.

"Depends, Carter...unless Daniel has been kidnapped by hostile aliens things are not looking good for him."

"I believe, O'Neill, that you have made an error. Surely you intended to imply the kidnapping was the least favorable scenario," asked Teal'c confused, as he strode towards the Colonel.

Sam, following behind, placed a hand on Jaffa's shoulder and said, "It's okay, Teal'c. The Colonel's just joking...".

"Tell that to Danny as I break his neck, Carter - I've told the kid a million times not to just wander off!" By this time, Jack's joking manner had become decidedly forced as his concern for his friend began to show in furrows across his forehead.

The threesome wandered slowly through the forest, calling out for Daniel at regular intervals. Just as Jack was beginning to get really agitated and was contemplating returning to the SGC for reinforcements, Daniel himself came crashing through the undergrowth.

"Daniel..." growled Jack, leaving the "you better have a damn good explanation for this" part of the sentence implicit.

"Ah...umm Jack...I can explain..while you guys were checking stuff out, I found this path with ancient Latin inscription and I-"

"...Wandered off to follow it?" cut in Carter with a resigned expression.

"Well, not as much 'wandered' as explored," defended Daniel, gesticulating wildly with his hands.

"Daniel, there is a reason we 'check stuff out', and it's to make sure that we're all safe," said Carter, her previous worry manifesting itself as anger at her friend.

Daniel turned to look at Jack who'd been dangerously quiet throughout the interchange. At this prompt, the said Colonel took a menacing step towards Daniel and raised his fist threateningly. "Teal'c, hand me your staff weapon...".

"I will not allow you to shoot Daniel Jackson, O'Neill."

Carter took a step forward to explain that Jack wasn't serious, but Teal'c wasn't finished. "I wish to have this pleasure for myself."

An abrupt silence followed as the SG members stared in shock at Teal'c's newfound grasp of humor. Then laughter filled the forest. In all the noise no one noticed the sudden burst of activity behind them.

**************

A pulse of green light flew through the undergrowth, and O'Neill gasped in pain and fell to the ground clutching his knee. Teal'c raised his staff weapon ready to fire at the approaching assailants but was struck by a similar blast in the chest before he even got a chance to determine where the assault was coming from.

Carter already had her weapon at the ready and was on the ground beside O'Neill and rolled out of the way just in time to avoid being crashed by the falling jaffa. Another blast sounded, and Sam pulled Daniel to the ground before he was hit.

"How many are there, Major?" O'Neill asked through clenched teeth.

"I can't see I think we're...." Carter slumped to the ground before she could complete her sentence.

Daniel felt for a pulse and relief swept through him when he felt one although it was faint. "She's alive, Jack. So is Teal'c."

There were still flashes of the energy pulses flying over their heads and Jack could now hear footsteps as their attackers advanced. They were in trouble. His knee was throbbing now, and he could feel unconsciousness wash over him.

Seeing Jack slump to the rough ground beside Teal'c, Daniel deduced that the blasts had some sort of sedative. There was no hope of escape, well at least not for Jack, Sam and Teal'c, and he wouldn't be much help to them if he got captured too. He made his way (towards an area of dense undergrowth, keeping close to the ground). He heard the attackers but couldn't see them from his position. They seemed to be speaking a language that was extremely close to English, meaning their people had probably originated from earth.

Daniel sneezed. Damn, he was allergic to this planet. He could hear one of the attackers move towards his position, so he did the only thing he could think of. He crossed his fingers and wished to God or whoever was out there to let him live long enough to get back to the stargate for help. Daniel could see two large feet from where he was hidden and after a few moments they moved off. He released a breath that he hadn't even been aware he was holding.

After several minutes, Daniel moved from his position back to where the attack had taken place. Well, there is no blood. That's a good sign, he thought. But there was also no SG-1. He couldn't hear the conversation between the attackers well, so he had no idea where they had taken them. And more importantly what they were planning on doing with them.

Daniel made his way back along the path towards the stargate making sure to stay in the shadows. He chuckled to himself at the irony of the situation--it was probably his fault they got captured because he had once again simply wandered off to look at "rocks", as Jack would say. And here he was the only one left unharmed.

Daniel was just trying to get his mind off of the idea that the rest of SG-1 were in serious trouble. They had become a second family to him over the years, and he cared deeply for all of them, even Jack! He had barely coped with the loss of Sha're, and he didn't know how much more loss he could deal with.

"Good Day to you."

Daniel jumped and whirled around to see a young man of about 20 years old. How had he managed to sneak up on me like that? "Eh...Good Day to you," he replied. "I'm Daniel Jackson, a peaceful explorer from the planet Earth."

"I am Cerek." He then bowed. "Welcome to Darga. I must warn you though these parts are not safe for outsiders."

"I sorta figured that...Sorry, Cerek. My friends were taken by some people. Do you know who that might have been or where they would have taken them?"

"I am saddened to hear that. I will show you where they may be." Cerek moved quickly through the forest, with Daniel close behind him. They moved through the woods without saying anything. Daniel had seen the dark look which crossed Cerek's face before and was growing even more worried for the safety of his team. They climbed an embankment and when they reached to top, Daniel leaned over with his hands on his knees trying to gain control of his breathing again.

"There, look!" Cerek was pointing in the direction of the sun. Daniel couldn't see anything at first. He raised his hand to shield his face, looked in the direction Cerek was pointing, and gasped.

**************

There, gleaming before his eyes was a huge city, the magnitude of which Daniel could only barely comprehend. Four huge towers of shining silver marked out the edges of the compound, and those most distant from his position were reduces to flashing full-stops on the horizon. A canopy of golden silk was attached to each of the turrets forming a make-shift roof over the city - even in the depths of wonder Daniel recognized that this was probably to protect the inhabitants from the intensity of the sun.

Beneath the fiery roof stretched line after line of buildings, marble, gold and silver adorning their structure. The city was filled but not crowded, and the happy shouts of children echoed from the glittering walls. Daniel stared so long his eyes began to hurt, until recollecting himself he blinked hard once and turned to face Cerek. "This is...What is this place?"

"This is Eden - first city of Darga. Welcome to my home." Cerek bowed in greeting.

Even as Daniel's head bent automatically in a similar greeting, his mind was furiously sorting the implications of Cerek's words. Okay, Eden. Definite link with Earth culture and Christianity. Okay, first...? "Cerek....there are more cities," (Daniel gestured at city below,) "like this?".

(Daniel's brain continued to whir.) Eden. We've yet to discover such a late cultural root. This is fascinating...Back to it Daniel. Jack and the others need you...CONCENTRATE.

Daniel came out of his reverie to find Cerek drawing a simple map in the sand. "The five great cities of Darga are arranged thus." He drew a star in the dust, marking with a circle each of the points.

"And, you think my friends are here...ermm...that doesn't make sense....my friends were attacked and these people seems so..." Daniel ran his hands through his hair desperately searching for the word "civilized."

Cerek blinked in confusion. "Oh, no. You were not attacked by the Darkains. I fear you were caught in the cross-fire as we were forced to confront our neighbors the Krem in conflict."

Daniel waited patiently for Cerek to continue and when it became clear he would not, he decided to prod a little further. "Why are you fighting with these people?"

Cerek looked uncomfortable. "The Krem are not like us. They enjoy pain and suffering. They feel that what is right is also what is the strongest. We do not wish to fight them but they offer us little alternative. We have developed weapons, which although initially painful, disable the subject with sedative. By these means we hope to end the conflict without excessive loss of life."

Daniel was suddenly arrested by a thought. "You said that you thought you 'might' know where my friends are. If they were taken by the Krem instead, what has happened to them?"

Cerek closed his eyes. "They will be with Jaysus."

Jaysus. Daniel's mind ran this word past his brain and came up empty. "Jaysus? Erm..he's the leader of the Krem?"

Cerek looked briefly offended by this suggestion until he recalled that Daniel was a stranger and overcame the anger. To correct him, he merely raised his hands to the sky.

"Ah...you mean...right...okay."

"Come along, my young explorer. Let us hope that my people rescued your friends." So saying, Cerek led Daniel into the City of Gold. They were met at the gate by a robed official.

**************

Meanwhile...

Sam's eyes flickered open when she felt water on her face, it was just a few drops then suddenly the contents of a whole bucket was emptied onto her. She gasped as the cool water soaked through her fatigues. Her hands were bound behind her, so she struggled to sit up to look at the person who her just thrown the water at her. As she moved a groan escaped her lips- the ropes holding her wrists were digging into her skin. She couldn't see them, but was sure they were bleeding. By the time she managed to sit up, the person had moved on. She looked around to see a man dumping water, as he had just done to her, onto Jack.

"WHA...ARRGH." Jack's shocked reaction caused their captor to snigger. "For cryin' out loud...you couldn't a just tapped me on the shoulder or something?" Jack snapped at the man in his own unique blend of sarcasm. He was rewarded with a sharp blow across his right cheek. He instantly regretted his inability to keep his mouth shut as the pain coursed through his face.

He fell back on his bound hands, causing the ropes to dig further into his skin. Once the pain subsided a little he looked around the dimly lit room. His eyes fell on Sam. His initial reaction was relief, relief that she was alive, but that was quickly replaced by anger as his eyes grew accustomed to the light and he saw the blood on her hands and the way she shivered due to her wet clothing.

He pulled his eyes away from her and looked around to the other side of the room. Partly, searching for the rest of his team and partly because he couldn't bear to see Sam suffer. At the far end of the room, he was greeted by the image of Teal'c chained to the rough wall. There was countless cuts covering his body. The jaffa looked angry...well as angry as he was able to look. Jack quickly scanned the rest of the room, and he couldn't see Daniel. He hoped he had escaped and was going for help, but he wasn't very optimistic.

Jack's attention was brought back to Sam as he heard the man who had woken them slap her across the face. "Hey, leave her the hell alone!" The man sniggered at this and stepped towards Jack.

As his head moved into the light, Jack saw an evil glint in his eyes. "I can do whatever I want!" And with that he turned towards Teal'c and brought out an MP5 which he had been concealing and aimed at Teal'c's head. Teal'c looked him straight in the eye, not flinching in the slightest.

Jack watched in horror, and Sam turned her head, unable to watch her friend die. The man squeezed the trigger slowly. Jack lunged at his leg, and the man's aim was thrown off.

The sound of the bullet echoed through the sparse room, and Sam opened her eyes to see the man pushing Jack away roughly. Blood oozed from the bullet wound in Teal'c arm. The man walked up to Teal'c and examined the injury roughly.

"This is indeed a violent weapon which you have produced. I am impressed. I did not think the Darkains had it in them." Sam sent Jack a puzzled look. "Finally you have developed technology which we can actually use. We, of course, we use your previous 'weapons'." He laughed at this last word, "But simply knocking people out with minimal pain is not my idea of fun."

This guy is insane, Jack thought. We are gonna get killed by a complete wacko. And I thought Carter was bad with her reactor thingy.

"You will all be interviewed tomorrow," the man added. "I suggest you rest."

He bent down and cut the ropes from Sam's wrists. She grimaced as the blunt blade sliced into her skin. He dropped the knife at her feet and left, slamming the door behind him. They could hear a bolt--a particularly heavy one at that--being slid into place. She rubbed her bleeding wrists and picked up the knife, carefully cutting the ropes around Jack's. The gashes in his wrists made her heart heavy. She wished they still had their packs. His cuts really needed attention, actually hers did too.

In silence, Jack and Sam managed to pick the locks on the chains holding Teal'c up. Jack used his shirt to stop the bleeding from Teal'c's arm.

"Will you be okay?" he asked.

"I will. My symbiote will heal me, although I must now go into Kelnoreem." With that he sat on the dirty floor and began his meditation. Jack and Sam immediately began to search for a means of escape; their military minds focused on finding a way out. They were in a room with one very thick door--Jack even tried kicking it--no windows and the walls were solid concrete as far as Sam could tell. The only way out was through the door, and it didn't seem like they would be doing that anytime soon.

Sam shivered in her damp clothes. "Are you cold?" Jack asked. He (sure as hell) was.

" A little sir, but I'll be fine."

"I am too. Man, that water was cold...mmm...Carter?"

"Yes?"

"Maybe we should lie down together...you know...share body heat?"

"That's a good idea, sir. I'm freezing and hypothermia will not help our situation." Sam started to remove her boots then her fatigues.

"Umm..Carter?"

"Sir, our clothes are soaked through. We have to at least take the top layers off." She continued to remove her clothing until she was dressed only in her underwear and a tank top.

Jack thought about what she said and knew she was right. He started to undress too. Sam leaned back against Jack's chest, and they put Teal'c's dry jacket across them. They fell asleep with all of them wondering what the man had meant by "interviewed."

**************

Jack shifted uncomfortably against the stone floor, wincing as the stiffness in his back made itself known to his brain. He was vaguely aware of warmth and softness but had just decided to dismiss this luxury as the tormenting product of his restless night when he realized that his 2IC was in fact sprawled against him. Jack squinted around the room, now lit gently by rays from the barred window.

Teal'c was sitting upright in the corner of the room his eyes closed in meditation. Jack worriedly took in the wound to Teal'c's arm but realized that the symbiote was doing its job, and the bleeding had stopped. Yay for Junior, he thought.

He gently maneuvered Carter to the side, gently cradling her head so as not to wake her. Trying not to flinch at her pale face and the open wounds to her body, he began to gently dress her wounds as best he could with their meager field supplies.

"O'Neill."

Jack turned, the blunt knife that had been left to them the night before raised in preparation to defend his team. Almost immediately, he realized that the noise had come from Teal'c and dropped the weapon with a glare at the Jaffa. "Jeez, Teal'c, you think you could learn the art of subtly clearing your throat?"

"I do not understand, O'Neill. I understood it to be an Earth custom to address by name rather than by cough."

"It is...I was just hoping for a little warning here. We're not exactly in the best circumstances for etiquette."

"I apologize for startling you, O'Neill. How is Major Carter?"

"She's still out of it." Jack sighed as he looked down at her frail form. "I don't want to wake her just yet. I think she had a tough time of it while we were still out." Jack left the explanation at that, not wanting to consider the pain and degradation Sam may have suffered while he was unable to help.

"I concur, O'Neill. I have been attempting to formulate an explanation for our current situation. The individual who spoke to us earlier expressed his admiration for your weapons, and yet the means by which we were attacked are clearly superior."

"You wanna pull that together for me, Teal'c?" Jack stared in frustration at the Jaffa's seemingly endless capacity to state the obvious.

"Actually, sir, I'll give that one a try."

Jack looked down in surprise and noted his 2IC struggling to sit up. "Woah, Carter. Stay still for a while. We're not going anywhere just yet. You okay?"

Shaking off his concern, Carter resolutely pushed herself to a sitting position. "I'm a little sore, but I'm fine. Now that I've had a little time to think about this-"

"You have?" asked Jack incredulously.

"Well on the way up from horizontal-"

"Nice place," Jack interjected.

"I had nothing better to do. I think that we were caught in a crossfire. If we were shot by the enemy, it would explain why our captors are ignorant of such technology. I think I heard him mention Darkiains. I would also hypothesize that there's more to these proceedings than meets the eye." Carter finished her monologue with a meaningful look.

Jack stared questioningly at Teal'c, keeping to the back of his mind his admiration for his Major. When Teal'c's face registered similar confusion or as close as the Jaffa ever got to an expression, Jack turned again to Carter. "Erm...care to elaborate on that for the jocks in the class, Carter?"

"Sir, look at your leg. That wound that knocked us out last night is barely a graze now, and yet we were knocked unconscious." Carter raised her eyebrow.

"So we're dealing with a considerate enemy. Sweet. We're still locked up in God knows where without Daniel."

"I believe I saw Daniel Jackson make his escape in the confusion, O'Neill."

"Okay, so we're relying on Danny Boy for a rescue...I'll just make myself right at home!" Jack's frustration manifested itself in anger at his friends, and only a slight widening of his eyes betrayed his guilt at recognition of this fact.

"Colonel, one has to wonder why the enemy are being so....nice."

"One does?" he replied.

A ghost of a smile flickered across her features. "Yes sir. If they are so superior why haven't they simply ended the war and why-"

Carter's musings were interrupted by the arrival of the visitor from the night before. "You will come with me." he announced bluntly, waving the rifle into their faces.

The team were bound again and escorted through a myriad of tunnels which defied any attempt to memorize the way. The narrow black spaces broadened out at the end of the corridor into a huge hall. The massive room was without windows and was lit by torches on the walls. The scene was reminiscent of some medieval banquet with long tables spanning the breadth of the room and humanoid aliens stuffing themselves with food and drink.

"I am Kalif," their guard said curtly, then raised a horn to his lips. The sound echoed through the hall, and the chattering aliens fell silent. "Walk," ordered Kalif.

Jack stubbornly refused to move and one of the accompanying guards made to strike him about the head with the butt end of the rifle.

"No," said Kalif. Jack looked up in grateful surprise at this unlikely savior. Punish this one instead," ordered Kalif pointing at Sam, and Jack's eyes clouded over with rage. The rifle slammed into Sam's temple, and she fell to the floor.

"Carter!" yelled Jack, struggling against the four guards restraining him. Teal'c likewise tried to get to his friend's side.

Rubbing her head slowly, Carter got to her feet, her eyes shining with tears that she refused to shed.

"This one will take the punishment for ALL disobedience," said Kalif with a malicious glare. When he again ordered them to walk, he was met with no resistance.

The three made their way slowly through the hall to accompanying shouts and boos from the rowdy crowd. Teal'c continued to stare forward impassively as he was struck in the face by the gristle and bone left on a nearby plate.

"Teal'c, the man offers you food, and you don't even say thank you. What is the world coming to?" mused Jack, trying to lighten the mood.

SG-1 were seated on rough stools on a stage at the front of the hall. Kalif took his place at their side. "My people, we have captured Darkains. These will tell us the secrets of their new weapons so that once more we may take down our enemy and wash ourselves in their blood and that of their children. You will ask them what you wish."

"Alright, folks," said Jack. "But no autographs okay? We're on a tight schedule and have to be in Paris by tomorrow..."

On a nod from Kalif, an accompanying guard backhanded Sam across the face, and she gasped. Jack's eyes narrowed, and the steel in his eyes began to simmer.

"We aren't Darkains," cried Sam. At this the hall fell silent.

"You lie," said Kalif.

"For crying out loud!" said Jack. "Why would our own people shoot us?"

"Then stranger, you will die," said Kalif and trained the rifle upon Sam's forehead.

**************

Jack's heart began to pound in his chest as he watched in horror as Kalif's finger slowly began to squeeze the trigger. Sam closed her eyes tightly, waiting for death to wash over her. But after a few seconds, when it didn't come, she opened one eye out of curiosity to see what was taking so long. She saw one of the guards talking quietly to Kalif, though the barrel of the riffle was still aimed at her head. Kalif's finger moved away from the trigger and Sam sighed. "Were you the ones who developed this weapon?" he asked waving the rifle in front of Jack's face.

" Well, not us personally, you see we just use..." Kalif looked annoyed and motioned for the guard to hit Sam again. "Yes!!!...just leave her alone!" Jack yelled over the sound of the guard slapping Sam hard across the face.

Kalif had a smug expression on his face. It was going to be very useful having the blonde one about, not to mention enjoyable. His smile widened at this thought. " You may live long enough to teach us about these weapons." He drew in a long breath. He could tell this would take some time, even with the blonde one. "I will eat now, return them to their quarters," he ordered, waving his hand dismissively in SG-1 's direction.

Teal'c and Jack were pushed along the narrow corridors towards their cells ahead of Sam.

"I apologize for striking you."

Sam came to a halt and turned to face the guard who had inflicted the throbbing pain that was spreading over her right check. He bumped into her and glanced ahead at the guards cajoling the other two prisoners along. "Keep moving!" he commanded in a loud voice.

Sam was confused and started off along the corridor again. Maybe she had heard wrong the first time. On the way, she watched the guard's face whenever she had the chance. There was definitely something different about him. His eyes were softer somehow, and even with his strong features, Sam saw something kind and almost vulnerable in his handsome face. Her thoughts were interrupted when she was pushed back into the cell.

The other two guards left having forced Teal'c and Jack to the ground, and as the last guard went to leave, Sam said, " Don't worry about it, the bruise will be gone in a few days."

Jack shot Sam a questioning look and watched as the guard glanced outside the door and then looked back in and smiled at Sam. "You are indeed a brave woman." He bowed in her direction and left. The cell door was closed, and the room was thrown into darkness.

" Care to explain Major?" Jack asked through clenched teeth and hoped that Sam didn't hear the bitterness in his voice. What was upsetting him? The fact that he was trapped on some goddamn planet? That Sam was being beaten? That she was forgiving and joking with the man that hit her? Or that she was smiling like that at the guard? Thankfully, his line of thought was broken by her response.

" I'm not sure yet. He is different somehow. I can't explain."

" Well, I'm not sure it's that great an idea to be making friends with the enemy. Do you?"

" Would that in fact not be a wise idea, O'Neill? Having an ally would greatly increase our likelihood of escape."

" Yeah, I agree with Teal'c, sir. He may be the key to getting us out of here. I'll try to talk to him some more."

Jack frowned in the darkness, thankful that the other members of his team couldn't see his expression and annoyed that the Jaffa actually made sense.

Sam lay down on the cold floor. It had been warmer before when she was beside Jack, but she thought it would be inappropriate to ask to do that again. Her head ached, but she had regained a little hope after her brief encounter earlier. The pain was excruciating, and it was still only morning. She rested her head against her arm and drifted off to sleep, half in and half out of consciousness.

**************

Daniel stretched out on the bed, lost in contemplation. He was thinking about the rest of SG1 locked away, maybe even...no, Jack would...well...die before he let anything happen to Sam or Teal'c. They're okay he tried to reassure himself.

He was so lost in thoughts of this kind that he was not aware of the pure golden silk lining his bed, nor the exquisite aroma of the meal that had been placed beside him. He was oblivious to the gentle swell of a hymn carried into his room on a warm breeze, punctuated with occasional laughter.

It was only when his watch began to bleep the hour that he was shaken from his reverie and sat up abruptly. He ran his fingers through his hair, gently massaged his eyeballs and sighed. Dammit. He sat up then sank back into the comforting embrace of the plush bed and began to process the day's events. He had approached the city of Eden with his young guide, Cerek, and had been greeted at the gates by a tall man in flowing robes.

*****

"Greetings, Cerek. I see that your scouting expedition was fruitful."

Cerek raised a hand in greeting and opened his mouth to explain Daniel's presence. The robed man placed a single finger at his lips. "Hush, Cerek. There is time. Your friend looks exhausted. He must rest."

Daniel stepped forward at this point. "Hello, my name is Daniel Jackson. I'm a peaceful explorer from far away. Thank you for your kind hospitality, but I'm afraid I have more pressing matters to discuss with you. I need your help."

"Travell, his friends were taken by the Krem," burst in Cerek. The two aliens shared a look of understanding.

Travell bowed his head. "Greetings, Daniel Jackson. I am sorry for the situation in which you found yourself. Please come this way." Travell stepped back and gestured with an arm through the gates.

Daniel peered past Travell's cascading robes into a majestic square with a golden fountain at the center. Small children played happily on the cobbled pathways, splashing one another with water and showing off to parents clustered around the edge, pre-occupied with reading and giving the occasional treasured wave of interest. Daniel looked into this domestic haven and knew at once that to enter this happiness would be an unforgivable betrayal of his team who were depending on him. He did not move causing both Travell and Cerek to look at him questioningly.

"Please, I need to go help my friends. Any help you can offer me--supplies, directions or even manpower--will be gratefully accepted but I have to go now..." Daniel stammered cautious of offending his kind hosts.

Travell's face stretched into a gasp of surprise. "You wish us to arm ourselves for war, of all things, on the Seventh?" he asked aghast.

Cerek was quick to intervene. "Travell, he is a stranger. He does not know our ways. He does not understand the holy rest of the Sabbath."

Travell's face cleared. "You are right, my young friend. Daniel Jackson, today is a day of rest dedicated to our Lord. Neither we nor you can make warfare on this day. On the First, we will help you retrieve your friends. This I promise you."

Cerek turned to Daniel. "Daniel, I am sorry, but if you will wait a day you will be far better equipped to help your friends than if you go today and join them in their cell."

"Or their grave," Daniel silently added the darkest place of his brain. But he reluctantly agreed and followed the aliens into the city, dimly aware of the great gates clanging to a close behind him.

Daniel was given food and water and a high chair in the square. He was surrounded by Darakaians all eagerly studying what he had learned was the Bible. Despite himself, the cultural curiosity began to assert itself in his mind. He turned to Cerek seated beside him who was talking with Travell and listened to their conversation.

"...the weapons were unfortunately needed to defend a group picnic out of Eden. They were successful, my friend," Travell was saying. "But unfortunately several were stolen by the Krem and once again our newest advantage is nullified."

Cerek's face fell at this news and Daniel was moved to compassion.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering about the Krem...about your whole society, and it's roots in fact." Daniel said, spreading his hands in wonder. "Can you explain it to me?"

Travell sat for a moment in silent contemplation. Then, he clapped his hands. "Yes, it is fitting that on this day dedicated to our God we honor his presence and share the good news and our history."

The Darkains from this region of Eden had gathered at the signal in an assembly in the square. Small children giggled and nudged one another in excitement at the front of the crowd.

"My friends," boomed Travell from his vantage point high above the crowd. "An explorer has come to us from beyond our land. We will share with him our story and our word." Turning once again to Daniel, he began thus:

"My friend, God brought us to this planet many years ago. The Original Home where our ancestors lived was like this world in many respects. God with his omnipotent vision feared that a great enemy was about to attack Earth and consume its soft lands with fire. Our Lord is the savior of the Christians, Daniel. He gathered together a small group of true believers and transported them to a new home for their safety."

Daniel could not resist interrupting by asking, "An enemy?"

Travell was not angry and turned to face the eager archaeologist. "Daniel Jackson, we Darkains live by the word of God as written in his holy text."

"Yes..the Bible...I know it," said Daniel encouragingly.

Travell continued. "The Book of Genesis describes the plight of our ancestors blessed with the first Eden, destroyed by the evil of the serpent. God cursed the serpent to crawl upon its belly, as punishment for it's evil. Over time, However, this creature of sin learned to reject the justness of its fate and attacked man out of jealousy. The serpent empowered by the Devil's evil strength forced a union with man and a new race of the Devil's henchmen were created to plague the universe. These snakemen were poised to overrun our home, and so God chose to spare us from death."

Daniel felt the sickening lurch of recognition even as Jack's voice echoed in his head, "damn snake-heads". "The Goa'uld," he whispered to himself.

He shook himself slowly. "And these 'snakemen' have not bothered you on this world?" he asked bewildered.

"God is kind, Daniel Jackson, and he has erected defenses at the portal to prevent snakemen from attacking our new home. He was unfortunately too late to prepare the Original Home in the same manner."

Again bells of recognition were chiming in Daniel's skull. "Cimmeria," he whispered again..."Thor!" His mind was whirling as he attempted to compute the data. The Asgard had adopted the people of Cimmeria by assuming the form of their Gods. The similarities between Thor's Hammer and the "defenses" on Darga seemed to indicate that they might have done the same in this Christian community. Even as he presented this hypothesis, he was aware of the moral implications. Did this mean that there was no God or that the Asgard had simply borrowed his identity? He was brought back to the present as Travell continued his story.

"God built for us a second Eden and left us his word to be our guide. Unfortunately-" and here a shadow fell across his face. "Some of the early ancestors did not adapt easily to the change. They read sinister darkness in the light of the Word and were consumed by hatred and lust. God sorrowfully returned and looked upon their evil. He separated them from us by a great distance, naming them 'Krem' as a mark of their difference. He told our leaders to live wisely by the Bible and to use its teachings. Our Lord was then called away to help others and has never again been given cause to visit our pious people.

"However, recently the Krem, driven by thirst for blood, have traversed the great boundary set between us and besiege our doors. We can only try to hold off their assault, taking the message of forgiveness preached in the latter Testament by a merciful God. We make weapons that stun to arrest their attacks and protect our people as best we can. The rest of our time is spent praising the Lord and cultivating his bounty."

Travell spread his arms to encompass the city, and as Daniel followed his gesture, he noticed through windows in the great walls that a farming complex of plentiful fields surrounded Eden.

"Travell," he asked curiously. "Why don't the Krem develop weapons also?"

"Daniel Jackson, there is no order in Krem society. They are banded together by a common hunger not conducive to group effort. They cannot work together and civil wars often distract their attempts. They instead steal our weapons and turn them against us though never satisfied unless inflicting pain. They are the balance, an unfortunate necessity, as our Lord perceived. In the divine scheme, bad is needed to balance the good."

Daniel had heard enough about the brutality of the Krem for his mind to turn once again to his captured friends. "Travell, how do you contact your God?" he asked.

The Asgard really, really like Jack, he thought, and they owe us one over the whole replicator thing....They'll help me was a rough idea of his thinking pattern.

A hush fell across the crowd. Travell turned again to the inquisitive Doctor. "God left for us a copy of the tree of life. It is through this means that our ancestors communicated with his majesty when they were called. As you are surely aware, Exodus warns the foolhardy not to contact the Lord unless they are summoned."

Travell noticed the potential for a lesson in this explanation. He looked down into the eager ranks of children. "Now who can tell me the verse? There is a treat in it..."

He let the anticipation hang in the air for a second, and then the silence was shattered by eager shouts. The front rows degenerated into a sea of waving hands. Travell peered into these depths then selected, "Karsa."

The little girl solemnly rose to her feet, the envy of her peers. Her long plaits bounced against her back as she stood alone, self-consciously smoothing the pleats of her skirt. With the ease of practice, she recited. "Exodus, Chapter 19, verses 12 and 13," she sang. "'Mark a boundary round the mountain that the people must not cross and tell them not to go up the mountain or even go near it. If anyone sets foot on it, he is to be put to death; he must either be stoned or shot with arrows, without anyone touching him. This applies to both men and animals; they must be put to death. But when the trumpet is blown, then the people are to go up the mountain.'"

Travell led the applause and handed out what Daniel assumed was candy. "You see, Daniel Jackson. Like Moses and his people, we must wait for the call. We are waiting for our trumpet, Daniel Jackson...Now who can remember how our Lord reinforced this law as described in Genesis? Yes...you, Garten."

"Genesis, chapter 3, verse 24: 'Then at the east of the garden he put living creatures and a flaming sword which turned in all directions. This was to keep anyone form coming near the tree that gives life.'"

"So you see, Daniel, we can't request aid from the Lord. He believes us capable to carry out his word independently."

"I see," said Daniel, his heart heavy.

"Do not despair, my friend. Tomorrow we will rescue your friends."

And then, there had been prayers until nightfall. Then he had been escorted to this room, seeping with luxury, to await the dawn and the hope of rescue.

Now as his story finished playing out again inside his head, Daniel was aware that the hymns had finished and that morning prayers were over.

Travell appeared in his doorway. "Come, my young traveler," he said, beckoning. "We cannot support the reckless taking of life. Such responsibility is God's alone. We can offer you supplies, new anaesthetizing weapons, and Cerek has volunteered to lead a small team to accompany you. Godspeed."

Daniel joined the small band at the gate, nodding gratefully to Travell. "I...we....well, thanks."

The donkeys strapped with their gear brayed and Daniel, overcome by their generosity, well, Daniel sneezed.

"Adding donkeys to the list of allergies," he muttered, and then stepped to the front of the group.

Sam Carter awoke slowly, aware of the cold concrete against her tender cheek. Lying prone for a few seconds, she allowed the memories to flood into her mind, and it was with a gasp of pain that her still-throbbing cheek reminded her of their narrow escape the day before.

Awkwardly levering her stiff body up from the stone floor, she braced her back against the cell wall and surveyed her surroundings. Teal'c sat cross-legged in the corner, eyes closed, though Sam knew that in an instant he could rouse himself from this trance to come to her aid.

Jack, surprisingly was asleep. Sam allowed herself a discreet moment to watch her Colonel. The world-weary expression of pessimism and irony was, for once, missing from his features. He was breathing slowly and regularly, and the metronomical sound was oddly soothing.

Sam found herself adjusting her own breathing to his pattern, her apprehension dimming to admit a peaceful calm. Almost immediately, the intimacy of the moment seemed both inappropriate and almost invasive to the innocent Colonel. With a rueful last glance at his placid features Sam crawled across the straw-strewn floor and whispered "Colonel" gently in his ear. In an instant, he was alert and fully awake.

"Everything ok, Carter?" he questioned, nimbly raising himself to match her sitting position.

"Yes sir. …Wait I think I hear voices."

Jack motioned for her to be quiet, then hand-signaled her to move beside him behind the door.

Teal'c, awakened by the sudden flurry of activity within the dim cell, moved to stand beside them. They both stared at Jack questioningly. The Colonel seemed to be debating the next course of action with himself. "Dammit! Carter, if you can…buy us a few seconds…"

The door opened, and the guard, Ozin, entered with a single determined stride. He saw to his great delight that the blond woman was standing alone in the center of the room. "Perhaps she is waiting for me". He allowed this delightful fantasy to take the highest position in the hierarchy of thoughts. In those few moments, Sam was his. An intricate fantasy born of hours of idle guard duty was given a degree of plausibility - in that one moment she was indeed his wife and the mother of his children. She was his to own, his, his entirely.

The influx of hope suffused his face with color, a red that deepened when she smiled simply at him. He took one step forward, a hand raised towards this vision of loveliness, a drunken delirious smile spreading lazily across his features. It was in that instant that Jack chopped his fists into the base of his neck, and Teal'c swept his legs from under him. Jack moved to take a final kick at the heavy body, but Carter stopped him with a simple "Sir."

He looked down and as the curtain of blind rage drew aside, his brown eyes cleared and he saw a young boy besotted with his Major. Empathy broke down the hostility faster than any diplomatic negotiation, and for a second Jack forgot this was the enemy. Ozin and he were bound inexplicably in their attraction to Carter, and it was without regret that he stepped over the guard, unconscious but still alive.

Jack bent down and smoothly removed the guard's crude baton and his keys. Straightening, he tossed the weapon to Teal'c. The Jaffa bowed "O'Neill" he intoned and followed the Colonel out of the door.

Carter lingered for a moment in the doorway of their prison beside the man who was their gaoler. Noting she was alone, she kissed the tips of her left hand and, stooping, pressed them in a simple gesture of regret against the fallen boy's temple. "I'm sorry," she whispered. It is in this single moment that we come closer to understanding the psyche of Sam Carter than perhaps in any other. Had the guard been a victim of an out-and-out assault, even if she had been the one to deliver the telling blow, then she would not have felt the same overriding guilt. It was because sex was used as a weapon, even in war, that she felt such a hideous sense of shame.

Carter was a warrior, an honorable fighter but an irate whisper of "Carter, move it" from the corridor jarred her from these thoughts.

Daniel Jackson raised a damp hand to his brow and shading his eyes, stared up into the blazing sky. The deep blue of the heavens made him falter in his step as he wondered if his friends were sharing the same beauty. His ankle turned awkwardly in the hot sand and he fell, his hands punching into the simmering grains to try and preserve his position on the dune. The simple cotton gloves that he had been provided with did little to protect his sensitive skin from the blazing needles that assailed him, and it was with a yelp of pain that he scrambled to his feet once more. He sighed in relief when the thick soles of his boots were once again a barrier against the heat and resolutely set his gaze on the path ahead.

"Cerek." he called to the young man, a little ahead of him. "Why are we travelling this way?"

"My friend, coastal travel affords us the best opportunity for avoiding Krem scouts. This route also avoids much dense shrubbery, and also plants which I note do not treat you well." This last clause was punctuated with a nod toward Daniel's handkerchief, which was currently employed in mopping the sweat from his brow.

Daniel acknowledged this point with a nod, and made as though to drop back once more.

"Wait!" called Cerek. "I wish to know more of your homeland, and your friends," he wheedled persuasively.

Daniel looked at him and then turned his gaze out towards the sea. In truth, he had been avoiding his Darkain companions; a decision based both on grief for his missing friends and an unhappy knowledge in the falseness of their god.

In all honesty, Daniel was also struggling with the theological battle about the current existence of a Christian god. "Just because Thor impersonated this figure doesn't mean that God doesn't really exist," he thought to himself.

It was at this point he became aware of Cerek's concerned glance and question "Have I done something to offend you my friend?" and realized that he had yet to respond to this friend's request.

"Not at all." said Daniel honestly, falling into companionable step with his friend. Taking a deep breath he started on a somewhat abbreviated version of his own and of Earth's history.

"My friends and I and explorers. We travel through the metal ring, and each time we reach a different destination. It is our job to seek out new friendships and alliances against our enemy."

"Who is this enemy?" asked Cerek inquisitively.

"I suspect…" began Daniel and then hesitated "Say isn't that the prison?" he said pointing onto the horizon.

"My friend you have been in the sun too long," laughed Cerek. "Perhaps it is time for you to rest." Whistling ahead to the party before them, Cerek arranged for temporary shelters to be arranged to provide shelter from the cruel sun.

Daniel lay back in the comparative cool and breathed deeply, though the air was dry and scratched at his throat.

"Now my friend," Began Cerek, settling himself beside the archaeologist. "What were you saying earlier."

"Ah yes," said Daniel, opening his eyes and sniffing, amused but frustrated by the persistence. "Of course, I had been rudely interrupted."

Jack, Carter and Teal'c ran swiftly through the dark rock corridors of the Krem facility. They kept themselves low to the ground, carefully scanning all around for signs of the enemy.

"Carter - one escape route please." requested Jack jokingly.

Sam looked around pensively. "Sir, we could wander around this place for days and be no nearer to the exit; these people are wholly without order."

"So you're saying needle-haystack scenario?"

"Sir I'm talking molecule-universe scenario."

At Jack's confused look, she admitted. "Well, yeah."

"O'Neill, I believe that the simplest route would be to apprehend one of the inhabitants of this cave-facility." Teal'c suggested.

Jack set his mouth in a tight line "Agreed."

Sam did not look happy about this plan, and noticing, Jack turned to her. "Y'alright Carter?"

"Sir, couldn't we just follow one of Krem parties as they leave?"

"I'm always up for a party, Carter." Jack joked again. Then his expression became more thoughtful. "Teal'c, why didn't we think of that?"

"I do not know, O'Neill."

"Warm and fuzzy lessons all round when we get back. Carter, you fancy leading the sessions?" whispered Jack.

"Sure sir, if we get back." she said, smiling wanly at his diversion.

"We'll get back, Carter. We will." he said firmly.

"O'Neill?" questioned Teal'c.

"Yes Teal'c?" replied Jack patiently and in a style mocking a conversation. The colonel was well aware of the bizarre situation.

"What is a warm and fuzzy?"

"It's…ah forget it - that's what the lessons will teach you," he answered slowly and patronizingly.

"I see," said Teal'c, though his set expression revealed he did not at all.

Behind them, the wall suddenly exploded into a million sparks. The energy separated the team members and scattered them across the corridor.

Green laser shots danced through the air in a display that would ordinarily be entertaining. Teal'c raised himself to his feet. "O'Neill we are under attack."

"Thank you Teal'c." he grimaced. "I hadn't noticed."

"There is little time for sarcasm." Teal'c rebuked helping the older man to his feet.

"You know, Teal'c…." a further volley of shots interrupted Jack's retort, and instead he shortened it to "Good point, well made. Carter?"

"Sir…?" came a weak voice.

"Shit! Carter, where are you?"

"I would be the one under the boulder," she replied, her voice grating with repressed pain.

Jack appraised the situation quickly. "Teal'c I want you to wedge that baton under this boulder. On the count of three we lift - Carter can you pull yourself out?"

"Yes, sir."

"Right. One, two, three." On the Colonel's count, the boulder lifted those few precious inches to allow Carter the space to slide to the side. Unfortunately, this maneuver cost the team precious seconds, and the Krem forces were moving closer to their position.

The laser beams from the Darkain guns were increasing in intensity and frequency, and it was harder to anticipate the directions of the shots. The three of them ran desperately, Carter half carried by O'Neill. She recognized that her limp was the cause for the enemy steadily closing the gap between them and muttered through clenched teeth. "Sir, take Teal'c and go. Find Daniel."

"Shut up, Carter. And that's an order." he stated firmly.

At that instant, Teal'c let out a low grunt of pain. He collapsed clutching his leg, to his good knee. With wide-eyed clarity, he spoke urgently to O'Neill. "I will provide a distraction."

Without allowing the Colonel a chance to respond, Teal'c hauled himself back to his feet, turned and ran straight back in the direction they had come, launching himself at the front line of soldiers. Too surprised to fire upon him, they collapsed under his weight, and a pile-up of heaving bodies soon resulted.

Jack had started to run again almost immediately but couldn't resist a glance back. "Like rush hour down town," he commented, but Sam knew the joke was an intended diversion from the grief in his stony eyes.

The two of them ran for about 30 minutes, a grotesque image of a three-legged race. Eventually, more through luck than judgement, they found their way to the entrance. It was unguarded and Jack slowed the pace, scanning the path suspiciously.

"It's ok sir."

"Carter?"

"Why do they need to defend themselves? They're the aggressors on this world remember…"

"Oh right," said Jack. But he continued with caution, his military mind still suspicious of a trap.

Finally the two of them were back in the stifling heat of the forest. "Ah," breathed in Jack, "Trees. Gotta love 'em."

***************************************************************

"…and our world is divided into many lands, each ruled in a different way. We are from a land surrounded by the sea, called America. In this land we are ruled by a…a President - a man who oversees law and order."

"Like the elders," nodded Cerek pleased with the similarity.

"Um, quite like them, yes."

"I see, and Daniel, what of your God. You have not yet mentioned the Lord of your World. Do you call him the President?"

"Oh," said Daniel smiling. "No…um…the President, he's just a man, elected by the people to govern for a certain amount of time. Our…" he cleared his throat here. "God is…well there are many different beliefs in our world."

"More than one God?" questioned Cerek agog.

"Cerek…you see…oh it's very complicated…" he trailed off hoping to put off the line of enquiry.

"I should like to understand, Daniel Jackson."

"I know," he sighed. "But I don't know that I do myself."

"Daniel Jackson, it seems that your world makes a Bible from one Gospel."

"I beg your pardon"

"It is a saying in our world - it is to make this unnecessarily complicated."

"A mountain out of a molehill," whispered Daniel, smiling wryly at the similarity and shaking his head slowly.

"I do not understand, Daniel Jackson."

"I'm sorry," he said. "Please continue."

"Why must faith be so difficult for your people? He spoke 'I am the Lord your God' - what more is there to say."

"I wish I knew," said Daniel sadly.

A shout from ahead put an end to the philosophizing.

"We are approaching Krem territory. Be alert." instructed Cerek.

Jack and Sam were alone. It was hot and both of them were exhausted.

"Right, Major. Time for a break."

"I'm fine, Sir." she bristled, rejecting what she perceived as charity.

"I'm not, Carter. Give an old man a break, huh?"

"Yes, sir," she said gratefully.

They settled against a huge old tree, resting their backs against the knarled trunk. Carter tried to draw her knees up to her chin but found the movement too painful.

"Dammit!"

"Leg trouble, Carter?" "No, sir. I just realized I forgot to program my video for Buffy!" she spat out sharply.

"Buffy?" he questioned curiously, then immediately replied. "Easy, Carter. I'm supposed to have the patent on sarcasm, ok?"

"I'm sorry, sir. My leg hurts, and I'm worried about Daniel and Teal'c. I know that's no excuse," she said bowing her head in shame.

He reached around and crooked a finger under her chin. Tilting her head up to meet his gaze, he said simply, "Carter, it's ok. I know."

He treated her to one of the most intense stares she had ever known. In that moment, she felt herself sinking into his deep chocolate eyes. His expression soothed the panic she had felt rising within her. She felt secure and protected. Sam nodded. "Right, now let's see what we can do about this leg."

He settled himself at her feet and gently peeled the torn trouser-fabric from her crushed leg. The blood had soaked the material, and he winced as he peeled the damp fabric away from her gaping wounds. She winced and bit back a cry.

"Turn about is fair play, Carter."

"With all due respect, Sir. I did a much better job," she joked, and he smiled at her effort.

"Ok, brace yourself, Carter. I'm going to bandage this ankle."

"That was a bad pun, sir," she grinned.

He looked confused and for a moment, she was convinced she had been mistaken. Then he grinned brilliantly, and she laughed aloud at his expression.

"'Brace' yourself," she laughed, and reaching out punched him on the shoulder.

"Carter, you forget that I'm the one attending to a painful injury of yours," he threatened.

They both looked up and met one another's eyes. For a moment, there was no pretence, no concealment. It was Sam and Jack, enjoying a moment of intimacy. Jack allowed himself to enjoy the sound of their names together. Jack and Sam. Sam and Jack. He didn't care, that little 'and' sounded wonderful in his ears.

He looked up at Sam again, and smiled a secret smile at her bravery. Her injuries were horrible. Truly serious. He'd seen grown men pass out for less than this. Tinged with his admiration was fear. He wished he could take on her injuries and suffer the burden for her, but of course it was impossible. He vowed to make her as comfortable as he could.

Sam didn't know any of this although her thoughts were travelling in a similar direction. She admired his bravery and his dedication to the team. She knew he was worried about Teal'c and Daniel, but that he was hiding his own fear to better support her. She respected him. She loved him. Wait.

She blinked as the conversation in her head took on an unexpected twist. She did love him. She'd just never been able to admit it, even to herself.

They both suddenly became aware of the long silence, and the atmosphere became uncomfortable.

"Get some rest, Carter. We'll move on in a couple of hours."

Jack rested against the tree and scanned the surroundings with regular sweeping movements, his body tensed and ready for action. At some point, he became aware of Carter's body twisting beside him. "Carter, what's going on, you ok?"

"Yes, sir." was the tormented reply.

Craning his head to get a better look at her, he realized she was crying. His tough little 2IC was suffering, and it was driving Jack crazy. "Try and get some sleep." He ordered brusquely, trying to quench the tender tide rising within him.

"I can't, sir. My leg's bothering me a little. Daniel's got the heavy medical artillery. I can't get my mind off the pain."

"I often wonder, Major, how you ever manage to shut your brain off to sleep," he admitted frankly.

She blushed. "Mom, always used to say that." She smiled, then bit her lip.

"Why don't you tell me about her?" he asked, trying to keep her mind off her leg.

"Mom? … My actual memories are reduced to a couple of incidents…the odd picnic, times she'd advise me about boys…" Carter found herself smiling at the memories as they flooded into her mind. "She always wore Chanel perfume. Just a little dab, but it was always there. It was something that made it all real. When she died, the house lost its smell." Sam's nose twitched as though sensing that familiar smell.

Jack watched her struggle with the memories and almost regretted bringing up the subject. Tears were brimming in her blue eyes, her cheeks flushed with a rosy hue.

"She was beautiful. I wanted to be just like her…you know." Carter flushed self-consciously. "A 'lady.' But I never could. I was always happiest rolling around in the mud with Mark. She'd always frown when I came in filthy, but I know she didn't mind really."

Jack smiled with her, empathizing with the bittersweet nature of her recollections. He felt the same way when he thought about Charlie. There was happiness in remembering the good times, the laughter, and then there were the horrible thoughts of his death. Ever since that crystal thingy, he'd felt a little closure about Charlie's death but it still hurt, and he suspected it always would.

Without knowing quite how it happened, he found himself sharing these thoughts with Carter. She nodded as he spoke, and he knew that she really understood - it wasn't false. A deeper bond grew up between them. Jack wondered why he'd never spoken like this to her before. It felt as if a tight spring of grief buried deep within him was slowly unwinding. The tension flowed out with his words.

Sam could hardly believe that Jack was opening up to her. In her mind, she'd often considered that her commanding officer was equipped with an emotional Goa'ould energy shield, but now it was lowered. Chatting away quietly in the deep of the forest, they built something stronger than all the enemies they had met in all the worlds they had traveled.

Sam looked up and saw that Jack was just staring at her.

She smiled at him, that bright smile that pierced his last doubt. She looked so beautiful. Her hair was plastered to her head, her face shining lightly with sweat of the day, her blue eyes sparkling, her lashes dampened and darkened by the unshed tears. He reached out and cupped her face in his hand. She met his unwavering gaze. Their connection was never broken as he brought his face to hers.

Gently, he pressed his lips against hers. She slid an arm around his muscled back, and shivering slightly, he pulled her closer to him. The kiss deepened growing more and more passionate. He was almost surprised by the strength of her returned passion. She was not fragile like Sara had been. She was a tough soldier, and he was gratified this woman had chosen to give her love to him.

There was a subtle cough behind them. "I see you missed me," came a voice.

Sam and Jack pulled back.

"Danny boy, you've got fabulous timing." criticized Jack sarcastically, reluctantly transferring his gaze to the young archaeologist.

Standing up, he greeted his friend properly, pulling his friend into a hug. "Took your time didn't you?" he questioned.

Daniel looked indignant, then his featured relaxed. "Looks like you found a way to kill time." he said slyly. His glance swept over Sam, and he noticed that she was injured. "Sam, what happened? Are you ok?"

"Daniel," she whispered. "I'm really happy to see you."

He swelled visibly. "It's good to see you too Sam."

"Now give me the painkillers."

"Charming."

Introductions were made. Daniel took Jack to one side and told his friend, "Don't ask. There's one hell of a story here, but from the sounds of things we need to get Teal'c out of there now."

"Agreed." said Jack. "I don't want to move Sam though. Get Cerek to nominate someone to remain here as guard. The rest of us will stage a jail break."

Moving over to Sam he briefed her on his plan. He knew she was frustrated to be left out, but her logical mind recognized the necessity.

"I'll be waiting," she muttered, resigned.

"You'd better be," he said, throwing her a look of such potent sexuality that her breath caught in her throat.

"Alright, Campers, let's move out." ordered Jack, slinging his pack onto his shoulder.

He and Daniel led the way from the clearing, marching shoulder to shoulder.

"So" began Daniel "You and Sam…"

"Shut up, Daniel."

"Yes, Jack." he said smirking.

"Right," ordered Jack to the small force of assembled Darkains. "You move on my command. Be quiet, and hey, smile a little! Daniel, you're behind me. On my mark."

Jack motioned with his hand, and the small group moved forward quietly using the foliage as cover. Jack gestured for the team to stay still and then moved to scout ahead. He slid around the corner, and then crouched. He strained to see inside the Krem facility, but couldn't.

"Greetings, O'Neill." came a voice over his shoulder.

"Teal'c!" greeted Jack happily, then sheepishly, "We're here to rescue you."

"There is no need for such an action, O'Neill."

"Oh….good then….erm….good."

The Jaffa seemed entirely unwillingly to divulge the details of his miraculous escape. Shrugging his shoulders, Jack followed, fighting back the strange feeling of disappointment.

"Teal'c." he presented to the group with a flourish.

"What's next, Jack," questioned Daniel. "White rabbits?"

"Stick to the ancient history." bit back Jack.

"What happened?" persisted Daniel.

Jack shrugged his shoulders. "Ask the big guy."

"It is good to see you again, Daniel Jackson."

"Um…you too Teal'c…er…what happened?"

"I was able to make my escape."

"Of course you were," said Daniel slowly. Then to himself, "Did I really expect anything else?"

Jack strode forward eagerly, "Sam?" he called.

Teal'c turned to Daniel. "Colonel O'Neill, does not usually address Major Carter in this fashion."

"Oh you're so right, Teal'c," grinned Daniel. "They got a little closer…."

"But you know, relationships that start under intense circumstances, they never work." replied Teal'c in a passable impression of Sandra Bullock.

"Teal'c?" gasped Daniel aghast, obviously missing the reference.

"Daniel Jackson, it is a quote from an Earth film, Speed. I have been watching more of your television in an effort to better understand your culture."

"Ah," spoke Daniel.

"It is clear that this relationship began long before this day, Daniel Jackson. I suspect the 'intense circumstances' were merely a trigger."

"You know, Teal'c, you are wise beyond your years, my friend."

They stood and watched with fond affection as Jack pulled Sam into his arms. The pair of them embraced fiercely.

"You ok, Sam?"

"Fine, sir. Have I been out or was that a really quick rescue mission?"

"Teal'c was rude enough to reject our help and escaped on his own." scowled Jack with mock-indignation. "You complaining?"

"Oh, no!" she said.

The whole group was assembled before the Stargate. Daniel stepped forward to where Cerek and the elders of the Darkains were standing in full ceremonial robes.

"On behalf of the people of Earth," he said smiling, "I want to thank you for your help in recovering my friends. I'm only too glad that your kind assistance proved unnecessary, and that further conflict was prevented. With your permission," he added bowing. "I will instruct our General to send through a team to spend a little more time with you to see if there is any way that our civilizations can be of help to one another."

"Daniel Jackson," came the reply, "We welcome the prospect of an alliance between our worlds. Perhaps with your help, our conflict with the Krem can be resolved."

"The very best of our diplomatic teams will strive to make that dream a reality," Daniel promised.

Cerek placed a hand on the archaeologist's shoulder. "My friend, I have learned much from you. I hope that one day we will meet again."

"I hope that too," said Daniel. "Maybe you could come visit me one day and smooth out some of the many complications in my world."

"Someone certainly needs too," swore Cerek earnestly, and Daniel smiled.

At this point, a small girl Daniel thought he recognized from the meeting ran forward from the crowd and presented Sam with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

"Thank you" she said overcome, bending to greet the small girl and chat with her.

"For the happy couple with our blessings," intoned the elder gravely.

Jack made no pretence of ignorance and stepping forward gave his thanks in as eloquent a fashion as ever.

"I know Daniel's already said this, but thanks." he said sincerely.

"Dial us up Teal'c." Jack commanded, and the gate sprang into action against the background noise of appreciative and wondering "aaahs" from the Darkains.

"Jack?" asked Sam tentatively (a habit she'd been encouraged to adopt). "What are we going to do when we get back to the base?"

"Sam," he began, then looked deep into her eyes. Taking her arm, he threaded it through his. "I don't know but whatever we're going to face it together."

Her hand clenched around the rough green material of his jacket, and arm in arm, they walked into the heavy silver curtain of the gate.

Teal'c and Daniel waved a final goodbye to the Darkains and followed their team members off stage right.

* * * THE END?? * * *