samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: cbosman@pt.lu

Category: SJ UST (?) I really don't know, just read it

Spoilers: COTG (if you don't know what this means, don't read the story)

Archive SJA exclusive

Summary: Sam meets Jack and writes a friend to tell her about it

Author's note: This is a response to the challenge: what if Jack and Sam had met in Highschool? As that was sort of impossible, because of the age difference, I came up with this. Feedback, please, please!! (I *am* begging, so please, write to me what you think, even if you hate it)


Dear Kayleigh,

First I have to apologise to you for not writing so long. Sorry, sorry, sorry. But I was really busy with my science project. I was building a (insert technobabble here). But now that's done and there are only a few days of school left until the holiday. Summer at last, I thought it would never get summer. We'll go to the Rockies for our vacation, but I promise you, this is the last year that my parents can drag me to whatever "ideal vacation spot" they have discovered this year. Next year I will not go to some nature thingy, I will stay at home and spend all my time in the library.

Yes, I know, now you're thinking that I will always be a geek, but actually I don't care. I like libraries and laboratories and I don't like holiday parks. Besides the boys in these parks never even see me. You know that as well as I do. Remember two years ago, that summer camp in hell? I told my parents I didn't wanna go, but they couldn't care less. Well, actually, I think they do care, they just think that it is good for me, you know, to meet other people. And, of course, I wouldn't have met you if I hadn't been forced to go to summercamps every year.

Now, today, I met someone that I really would want to know. I think that I'm in love. We had Career Day today and as always it was boring like hell. First we had to listen to Elly Stewart's mom, who works in a kindergarten. Why would anyone want to work with all these crying babies? Then came Robbie Wyler's brother, he's a security guard, wow, what an ambition!!!

But then, then came Jack O'Neill. I had asked my daddy to come, but apparently he couldn't, so he sent Jack. He has been with the Air Force some time already, but he can't be more than fifteen years older than us. And he is soooooo handsome. He has brown-blondish hair and the most gorgeous chocolate-brown eyes. He was not wearing his uniform, though I think he would look good in green (or blue, or black...) Instead he was wearing faded jeans and a white T-shirt, the most boring clothes you can imagine, but he *didn't* look boring. He looked fascinating, interesting and simply beautiful. Can you say that about a man? I don't know, but he *is*.

Of course he came to tell us about the military. What he actually said was this: "I could tell you what I do, but then, of course, I would have to shoot you all, you see, it's classified." He then referred to secret missions, which was fascinating. Perhaps I can be a soldier as well as an astrophysicist... But anyway, he was really sarcastic, saying that you shouldn't join the army, or the Air Force unless you liked to be punished.

He was so funny all the time. He joked around with the kids in our class, but he never noticed me of course. Why would such a gorgeous person want to talk to a geek anyway. But I was jealous of the girls he talked too, he even flirted with them. But he told them that he was married, when some of them were a bit too affectionate.

But I tell you, he is the perfect man. Why can't a girl like me never get a man like that? Yes, I know, you told me before, I'm not ugly, I just should spend more time on my hair and stuff. But that's not interesting. What is, is space travel, astrophysics, but I guess that won't happen in my time.

Oh, I sound depressed and old, don't you think. But I am a little depressed. This Jack O'Neill was so amazing, he seems to have it all: he's good-looking, smart, funny. He has an interesting job, a loving wife (I would be loving if I was his wife) and I thought I heard something about a child as well, but I don't know if he *has* a child, *wants* a child or that his wife is pregnant.

It's so unfair. But the good news is that I could stare at him for about an hour, he never noticed. And I don't think I will ever forget him. You know, I'm young and now my mind is formed and today the image of the perfect husband has been imprinted in my mind... I do sound old, and terribly philosophic. I think I should go downstairs now. I think there's a MacGyver episode on in a few minutes. Now that I think of it... Jack O'Neill looks a bit like MacGyver, but even cuter.

Lots of love hugs and kisses

Sam



***

(About ten years later)



Dear Kayleigh,

I'm in a total shock. I don't even know how I should start to try to explain this to you. Perhaps I should go back ten years first. Do you remember the summer when we were eighteen. How I was in love with this man I met only once, during Career Day, Jack O'Neill? Does that ring a bell? Well, I thought that I had forgotten him as well, so don't blame yourself for not remembering. But about a year ago I saw his name again. He had done some secret mission that I was working on as well, I was of course doing the scientific part, so I read his report, well... not just *read* it, I can quote from it, but that was it.

But now... now I have to work with him. Today we met. Of course he didn't remember me, but I remembered him. He looks even better now, you know, the worn look. But does he ever have an attitude!!! He was really arrogant. So I drew up my defences immediately. Told him that he wasn't better than me just because *my* reproductive organs are on the inside and his are not. But then he coldly informed me that he didn't have a problem with women, he actually *liked* women. No, Colonel O'Neill, has a problem with scientists. Now, how could I have forgotten that? Back on that Career Day he didn't seem to have a problem with the girls in my class, but he did ignore the geeks, the scientists to be. I really thought I had forgotten that, but it comes all back to me now. And it hurts as much now as it did then.

I was so much in love with him and he didn't deserve that. Luckily he never found out!! But he really had me upset today. So I even suggested that we armwrestle to proof how though I am. And you know that's not the way I normally greet people. Thank God I don't have to work with just O'Neill, the other men on the team seem quite friendly, even though I'm the only new one in the team.

But anyway, it's only a team for one single mission. We're supposed to contact a disappeared scientist in another country (the rest is classified, you know that). And I'll be glad that that's all. I'll just go back to read his reports and dream impossible dreams. Can you believe it? Even though the guy is as arrogant as can be, *and* still doesn't notice me, he's still the perfect man. I don't think that I actually like him. It's just his looks. Perhaps I should try to find that actor who played in the MacGyver series, he looked sort of like O'Neill, but probably has a much nicer character.

It's really amazing. Here I am, a modern woman, who can do whatever she wants. I can fly F-16's and I have level 3 hand-to-hand combat skills. But still... All I can dream about is the perfect man and a nice house with a white picket fence. A big dog and a sweet cat and three children, two girls and a boy. But you knew that, didn't you. And you knew also that this "perfect man" looks a whole lot like Jack O'Neill.

But he has changed a lot since that Career Day, he is so quiet now. I wonder why. Perhaps he has just done so many secret missions that he can't talk about anything without revealing information *g*.

I really should stop whining about this man and the past. It's getting late and I have to get up early tomorrow. But I wanted to ask you: how are *you* doing? You haven't written or called me since you called me to tell me that little Caitlin was born. Are you used to the diapers already? And has she grown a lot? I wish I could come and visit you, but that'll have to wait until summer.

Oh, I didn't tell you that I have bought a new couch, did I? I was so bored with the old one that I bought a fire-engine red couch and a matching chair as well. Bur I'm afraid that's the only thing that matches. I either have to sell my couch again or change the whole design of my apartment. But I do feel a bit like a change... Perhaps that's because it's getting spring again. I always feel like major changes then.

I have to stop now. I will keep you informed of course, of my adventures with the irascible O'Neill.

As always, Lots of love, hugs and kisses (to Caitlin as well)

Sam



(Copyright (c) 2000 Christine Bosman)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christine

"Archaeology is a fascinating pursuit, but, after all, one cannot work day and night... Peabody, my darling Peabody -- what a perfectly splendid time we are going to have!" Emerson to his new fiancée (Crocodile on the Sandbank)