samandjack.net

Story Notes: Sequel to Part 15: Never Alone: Time Apart

Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com
Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

There is an adult only version of this fic on my site at: http://www.ficwithfins.com/AA3_1/archive/2/neveralone15.html

My answer to As the Stargate Turns yahoo Group fic challenge 19, set 11 December to include the line "Carter, isn't mine the biggest?" and/or the words 'even trade'. This fic has not been beta read so please forgive any errors. I hope there are very few.

Copyright © 2005 Su Freund


One Hell of a Year!


"Damn, I gave up my Christmas with Jack for this crock of shit!" Sam exclaimed angrily, thumping the wall, and Daniel winced.

"We all gave up our Christmases for this, Sam," he said in a placating manner.

"Christmas with Jack, Daniel. Our first Christmas, for crying out loud!"

Daniel was amused by her use of one of Jack's favorite expressions and grinned inwardly.

"We all had arrangements for this Christmas, Sam, you know that."

Sam sighed in resignation, moving away from the device and joining her friend.

"I'm sorry. You're right of course. But it was going to be so special. I wanted… oh, never mind what I wanted. We're here now and I wanted to be here too. Jack will probably laugh his ass off when I tell him what a disaster it's been.
Either that or throw a hissy fit that I gave up our Christmas for it. Why can't I work this out, dammit? That's what I do!"

"Yes it is, Sam, and you will. Give it time."

"Just… maybe I won't, Daniel, not this time," she said dejectedly, "I'm thinking they should have sent more than just me to come and work this thing out. It isn't like anything we've seen before. That's what got me so interested in the first place. Damn my curiosity!"

She'd been working on the device for two days already and still hadn't a clue how it worked. It was so frustrating. It had taken them a couple of days to walk to this place with all the equipment and now… What a huge honkin' waste of time it was turning out to be!

The device was housed in the remnants of what had probably once been a palace or temple, perched on a hillside overlooking what had probably been a large town or small city. There had once been advanced civilisation there but there wasn't much left anymore. The ruins spoke of war and destruction, aided by the weathering of years. Daniel had been gathering as much data as possible, trying to discern the history of these once great people.

Air reconnaissance of the area had noted the ruins, which were of unfamiliar design, and a mysterious power source. The device had been protected from both
destruction and the elements as it stood in the one part of the ruins that had been relatively untouched. It afforded some shelter but the team had set up camp a little way away as the place had an unearthly and not particularly pleasant smell that was bad enough to work in, but would be intolerable to sleep in.

"I think we both need a break, Daniel," she suggested. "I don't think I can handle this smell anymore and I'm pissed, so I doubt I'll make sense of anything tonight. How about you?"

"I'm getting there, but you know… how about we go over to the camp? I bet Mitchell and Teal'c are back there sitting on their asses after their last patrol around the perimeter."

"Okay, let's go." It wasn't like her to give up but she was tired and sorely in need of a warm drink.

They walked the short distance back to the camp, which smelt pleasantly of nature and nothing else to find their two friends weren't there after all, so they made coffee and awaited their return. When the two men came back, the team relaxed into some casual banter until Sam asked a question that was on all of their minds.

"So, Daniel, are you going to tell us what you had planned for Christmas? You've been keeping it such a big secret and we're dying to know," she asked, wanting something to distract her from thoughts of failure, and Jack.

"Nothing important, really," he answered, piquing her curiosity further.

"Then why all the hush, hush?"

"You'd only laugh."

"Try us," Sam smirked.

She hoped it was a woman that Daniel was being so secretive about and would be so thrilled if it were, as would Jack. Daniel deserved someone special in his
life. It wasn't that he never got any offers, women seemed to queue around the block waiting for a chance with Daniel, but they were always either the wrong kind of alien, or it didn't work out for one reason or another.

Sam figured he might still be holding a torch for Sha're after all these years and knew very well what it was like to yearn for someone for a long time. Her feelings for Jack were a prime example, but now they were an item and she yearned in a totally different way. At least nowadays she had some reality to look forward to, not simply a pipe dream. She wanted the same for Daniel. Surely it was time.

She understood how hard it was to build a relationship when you spent half your life on other planets doing things that no one was allowed to know about,
remembering well the problems this had caused between her and Pete. Frankly, those problems hadn't simply disappeared because she'd got permission to tell
him about her secret life, although she had hoped that they would.

Of course if she'd accepted that the fundamental obstacle had been her love of another man, namely Jack O'Neill, maybe she could have saved her and Pete, as well as Jack, a lot of heartache. It was pointless ruminating over all of that now, although she wasn't sure she would ever forgive herself for hurting Jack in that way. And he had been hurt, even though he'd never really said so. His eyes
had told her that but she had refused to listen to what they, and her own heart, were telling her for a long time: way too long.

Her relationship with Jack didn't have to suffer the same kinds of difficulties and she felt truly blessed because of it. He knew what she did, understood the demands that were made of her, and that she made on herself, and respected that she had a job to do, believing she did that job well. He would never try to make her choose between him and her career and knew what it was like to live a
relationship where you were apart for long periods of time. They were both military and it was a given. Not always easy, as his initial reaction to her absence this Christmas had demonstrated, but definitely doable.

Jack's faith in her abilities over the years had made her stronger and more confident. Gone were the days when she thought she had to prove herself in that self-righteous and totally over the top manner she had employed when she first walked into the briefing room at the SGC. Of course that meeting had not been helped by the fact that she knew very well who Colonel Jack O'Neill with two lls was and hoped her heart wouldn't explode and her face light up like a Christmas tree when she walked into the room to meet him for that "first" time.

As she'd looked at him over the briefing room table, saluting her superior officer, Sam had felt a little like that gawky teenager all over again. As a result she'd been defensive and made a total fool of herself. After that she’d
felt like the wide-eyed ingénue, walking through the wormhole for the first time - or being pushed through by Jack – feeling queasy once she reached the other side, and staring open mouthed at everything she saw there.

However, she had proved her worth repeatedly over the years, and made mistakes too; hadn't they all? But overall she was satisfied with a job well done so there wasn't so much to prove anymore. She was still a woman in a man's world, that would never change, but she had a way better job than most men in the US Air force, that was for sure.

She still bristled at that condescending "be a good little woman and make the coffee" type attitude she met all too frequently, but knew how to deal with it more effectively now. Generally speaking, those guys were stunned into silence once she'd spoken a few times. She mostly knew when to keep her mouth shut and when to open it and scream aloud.

Jack had taught her a lot – although not quite so much of that keeping your mouth shut kind of stuff, as tact and diplomacy weren't that high on his agenda - and taught her well, and so had the rest of the team. They had grown and evolved together and she would be eternally grateful for that experience.

Sam looked at Daniel expectantly and he sighed, rolling his eyes and knowing he wasn't going to wangle out of this one. Looking around at the more than curious faces of the other team members he blushed slightly and stammered nervously.

"B-believe it or not, I-I was going on a dig for a few days."

Sam's eyes widened with surprise and she caught Teal'c's amused expression. As for Mitchell, he didn't really know Daniel that well yet and was a little out of
the SG-1 loop. Sometimes that was difficult. The three friends could almost read each other's thoughts in certain situations, but Mitchell? Of course he couldn't. Only Jack could have done that. Maybe one day but, meanwhile, Sam would feel sorry for Mitchell every now and then.

"An archaeological dig, Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c responded and Daniel nodded.

"What, we don't find you enough artefacts to study?" Mitchell joked.

"Um, why?" Sam asked bluntly.

"I kind of miss all of that. A good old fashioned dig, right there on Earth where I recognise the sky overhead," he smiled shyly, "go figure."

"Who else was on this dig? People you know?"

"Um…" his blush deepened, "Sarah Gardiner was going to be there," he confessed.

"Oh!" Sam smiled softly and took her friend's hand, "I'm sorry you're missing that Daniel."

"Yeah, so am I."

"Are you and Sarah…?"

"No!"

"But you never know, right?"

"It would be kind of strange after everything that's happened, maybe impossible, but no, you never know."

Daniel met Sam's eyes and they had a whole conversation in seconds without actually speaking. Then they both turned and looked at Teal'c who bowed his head
with a slight smirk on his lips.

Mitchell knew he was missing something but also knew better than to pry into these private "original SG-1" moments. They were building new moments and he
hoped to reap the benefits later. No matter how many mission reports he read there was no way he could ever hope to live those moments or understand what they meant to these people. It saddened him but he accepted it, envying the relationship these three had.

Deciding she'd had enough of trying to decipher the mysteries of the artefact, the team ate and chatted for a while, agreeing who should take which watch, and she turned in early, exhausted from making all that effort to no avail. But she couldn't sleep. Her mind buzzed with thoughts arising from her frustration. Trying to calm her thoughts, she pictured Jack, wondering what he was doing right now and whether he missed her as much as she missed him.

After she'd seduced him wearing her new shoes and lingerie they had decided they were hungry at last and ordered take-out from one of Sam's selected menus. Jack
had been so embarrassed that she had discovered his secret: scrawling her name all over the note pad he generally kept by the phone. She had teased him
mercilessly about it until she realised that he was genuinely upset that she'd found it and could have kicked his own ass for not hiding it from her.

"Jack, it's really sweet. I'm flattered."

"Jeez, Sam, it's not sweet, it's pathetic."

"No, never that." She reached and took his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"It makes me look like an infatuated schoolboy," he pouted miserably.

"But that's what so sweet."

"Sweet is so not Jack O'Neill, you know?"

"Probably not a word that's generally associated with General Jack O'Neill, no, but with my Jack, my Mr Scarecrow…? Please don't feel so embarrassed."

"Embarrassed? I feel like a jerk."

"It's just doodling on a piece of paper, Jack. You told me earlier not to feel embarrassed that you'd caught me playing with myself in the bath. On a scale of things to be embarrassed about you think yours scores higher? Who's the jerk?" Her mouth wore a humorous leer and he laughed.

"You're right. I am a jerk, though."

"Yes you can be Jack, but not for doodling on a piece of paper. Would I lie?"

"Ack!" he exclaimed in surrender, "Why am I quarreling with you about doodling, for crying out loud? Sometimes I'm such an idiot."

"I hate to say it but I'm not gonna argue with that," she retorted with a grin, enfolding him in her arms and holding him close. "But we can both be idiots sometimes."

"You? Never an idiot Sam," he said, kissing her hair and cheek affectionately.

"We both have our moments, Jack."

"So you figure it's an even trade?" he joked.

"Even trade? Sure, it's an even trade."

"I'm not so sure that you get much of a bargain with me."

"Now I have argue with you about that one because I think I do very well indeed out of this bargain."

"You could do way better, Dorothy."

"I don't think so. Never better than you, Jack."

"Soiled goods, Sam. I've done too many rotten, stinking things in my life…"

"Crap! I think it's an even trade, a very fair trade indeed, and so should you. Jack O'Neill is one of the good guys. The best. And I so adore Mr Scarecrow."

"Okay, Dorothy. Let's not argue about it, huh? Just keep cuddling me and I'll believe."

"I hope you do believe. If all it takes is a cuddle, well, that's kinda easy."

Saying nothing further, they huddled together and were soon asleep, dreaming pleasant dreams and, as Sam remembered, she wished he were there right now to
cuddle her to sleep.

*****************************

Jack gave the visiting couple a quick, guided tour of his apartment, ensuring they knew where everything was so they could make themselves at home, and then
they sat in his living room drinking coffee. His was strong and black. Their arrival had sobered him up a lot, he'd got used to having to sober quickly over the years, but he was still a little woozier than he liked in company. The mixture of black coffee and plain water that he threw down his throat seemed to be working.

However, he wasn't quick enough to stop Cassie picking up the little black box on his table and opening it curiously. His eyes widened with mortification that she had discovered his secret and he hadn't had the good sense to hide it away when they arrived.

"Oh my god, it's an engagement ring!" she exclaimed with glee, "Jack! You were going to ask her over Christmas?"

"Dammit, that's between me and Sam. You shouldn't have opened that."

"But it was sitting right out here in plain sight. If you didn't want it found you shouldn't have left it lying around," she replied in justification of her actions, noticing the roll of his eyes heavenwards and his slightly pained expression. "It's so exciting! It's a beautiful ring, Jack," she continued, trying to mollify him further.

"Really? You think she'll like it?"

"She'll love it."

"I'm not sure… I bought the ring, but…" he tailed off, "I don't want to talk about this, okay?"

Cassie detected his reluctance and also some fear and something else she wasn't entirely sure of, wondering about it but agreeing to change the subject. Had he
changed his mind about proposing to Sam? That would be so dumb, so utterly ridiculous. She wouldn't stand for it. They were meant to be! Cassie decided she'd get him alone and press him further another time. She'd get her chance.

She made that chance later when, without using any words, she hinted that Chris go to bed and leave them to talk alone. Cassie loved that they could have those silent conversations sometimes. It indicated something really good. She seen Jack and Sam do it frequently but they'd known each other for years. She'd known Chris for mere months and this relationship between them was relatively new. Somehow, they seemed to be in synch and that was something special.

"So, what do you think of Chris, Unc… Jack?" she asked bluntly.

"Hey, give me a break, I've only just met him."

"I'm betting you've already formed an opinion."

"Are you now?"

"You weren't very friendly when we arrived. You didn't even shake his hand!"

"Jeez, Cassie, I was a little taken aback, go figure! You turn up on my doorstep unexpectedly with a total stranger, a guy who seems to have stolen your heart pretty damned quickly. How do you expect me to react?"

"And you had been drinking, of course."

"That too," he grinned. "Cassie, forgive me for feeling a little protective towards my little girl, huh?"

"Your little girl?" she smiled.

"Well…" Jack shrugged.

"I like that you feel protective, Jack, but I am old enough to look after myself these days, and make my own decisions."

"I figure that's what Sam would think too. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy, so sue me!"

"Sam keeps you centred," Cassie said, seizing the opportunity to turn the conversation towards Jack and Sam. Sure, she wanted to know what Jack thought about Chris but that could wait. She might not get many such opportunities to say what she wanted to say about her favorite couple.

Jack stared at her for a few moments contemplating that Cassie couldn't possibly know how true that really was.

"She's a great woman," he replied, simply.

"So you are gonna ask her to marry you, right?"

"Cassie!"

"Well, you bought the ring and everything. I hate that you seem to be having doubts. You two were meant for each other."

Jack smiled thinly at that remark. Was that true or merely a figment of Cassie's overly romantic imagination?

"I don't know about that Cassie, but I'm not having doubts."

"You implied you were."

"Not about my feelings for Sam."

"Then what?"

"You aren't going to leave this alone, are you?"

"No."

"Then I guess now is better than an ear bashing over the holiday," he said, resigning himself to having to come up with some kind of explanation, and pausing before he continued, "I'm not sure it's the right thing for Sam." There,
he'd said it, and in the simplest possible language.

"Oh! Why not?"

"There are lots of things you don't know about me, Cassie."

"Does Sam know?"

"Lot's of it, yes. I've made sure of it."

'And then some,' he thought ruefully.

"And what does she think of these… things?"

Cassie knew better than to ask him what he was referring to. It was clear to her that this was very personal stuff and she's known Jack for a long time. He wasn't good at revealing the personal. To get him talking about marriage to Sam was more than enough, and probably further than he really wanted to go.

"I told you, she's a wonderful woman."

"Then the problem is?"

"I'm not sure I should saddle her with all my baggage. She could do better. I don't want her to regret committing herself to me."

"Right. Isn't that up to her? Isn't that a risk in any relationship? Besides, I think she's already committed, don't you? The piece of paper and the ceremony confirming it is just a side issue. That's how you tell the rest of the world that you're committed, but it's what's in your hearts and souls that counts."

Jack considered that for a moment and eyed Cassie with some surprise.

"You know, that's pretty wise from someone so young, Cass."

"Ya think?" she grinned.

"Chris is a lucky guy."

"You might want to tell him that."

"I get the feeling he already knows."

"So you do have an impression of him."

"Of course. You know me, quick to judge. Sometimes too damned quick, but first impressions are so often right. A kind of gut instinct, you know?"

"Is that in the Jack O'Neill Handbook?" she asked with a grin.

"Yeahsureyabetchya!" he smirked humorously. "Or something along those lines."

"And?"

"So far, I kind of like him."

Cassie thought that was a true accolade coming as it did from the lips of Jack O'Neill.

"Cool! That's so great, Uncle Jack!" she gave him a quick cuddle in appreciation. "You think Sam will too?"

"Sure she will. But if I'm wrong about him I'm gonna kill him. He'd better not hurt my little girl."

"That's a risk worth taking."

"Yeah, sometimes it is. It happens to all of us sometime. It's life."

"So shouldn't you apply that reasoning to you and Sam?"

"Sheesh! I thought we'd finished that subject."

"Thought you'd distracted me? You're kidding right?"

"I can but try," he grinned. "Let's just say, I'll bear it in mind and leave the subject there, huh?"

"Consider the subject closed, at least for now."

"So don't you think you ought to go join that young man of yours? He's probably getting lonely."

"More likely he's asleep."

"I bet he isn't. He's waiting for a very beautiful young woman to go join him and give him a goodnight cuddle." Jack sighed, thinking how nice it would be if Sam were there to give him one of those.

"I'll go take a look," she smiled. "Thank you Uncle Jack."

"For what?"

"For being you."

"It comes naturally," he joked and she giggled obligingly, kissing him on the cheek and going off to join her boyfriend in bed.

Jack sat thinking about that conversation for a while. Life was full of risks. If Sam was willing to take the risk with him, who was he to argue? Picking up the small black box and fiddling with it in his hands, he pondered long and hard. Maybe all he needed now was the right opportunity.

*

Teal'c watched the skies dubiously. Darkness was coming way too early and the clouds scowled down at them sneeringly, anger lurking in their heavy bowels.
Various hues of grey hung like a canopy above them.

"A storm approaches. We should find shelter."

"We can hide in our tents, wait it out," Mitchell suggested.

"They may be inadequate for our purposes," opined Teal'c.

Sam looked around frustrated and still out of sorts because she was getting nowhere. Having managed to get something working on the device she was still at
a complete loss to know exactly what the purpose of that something was. Daniel's efforts at translation had proved fruitless. Nothing they had found so far seemed to be related in any way to the device. She guessed that, in her
ignorance of the device, it was lucky she hadn't blown them all sky high or worse. Suspecting Teal'c was right she moaned.

"I've got a bad feeling about this. Teal'c's right. The tents might not be adequate. We ought to think about moving inside."

"With that stench?" Mitchell asked, scrunching up his nose with a look of disgust.

"Good point. I guess I'm more used to it than you are. At least you get to walk the perimeter. I have to work in that all day."

"Yeah, walking the perimeter sure is fun!" Mitchell said sarcastically, reminding her a little of Jack. He used to get so bored on this kind of mission that he was almost praying for something interesting to happen: an unfriendly
Jaffa attack or the sudden appearance of primitive warriors spoiling for a fight; something he could get his teeth into.

"Let us hope that the tents are adequate," Teal'c said and Daniel nodded agreement.

The wind picked up a little and water fell softly from the skies. This was only the beginning.

"Might as well call it a day and take shelter," Mitchell said. "Why don't we all go sit in my tent? That might be fun," he added with a smile, "We can play I-spy or... hey anyone got a bottle we could spin?" he winked at Sam in jest.

"You think there's enough space in your tent?" Sam smirked, "wouldn't ours be better? It's biggest."

"Carter, isn't mine the biggest?" Mitchell retorted with a tinkle in his eye and she giggled.

"The tents are identically sized Colonel Mitchell, Colonel Carter," commented Teal'c in puzzlement.

"Are you channelling Jack?" Daniel asked Mitchell.

"God, I hope not," Sam responded, "there's only enough room for one Jack O'Neill in a small universe like ours. And by the way, Cam, I'm pretty sure that his is the biggest," she added with a wink.

Daniel looked at her with surprise. Was she flirting a little? Only moments before she'd been in a bad mood, now she was joking around with Mitchell.

"Are you alright Sam?" he asked.

"Sure, fine. I was about to suggest that we pack up and go home after this storm. We're wasting our time here. Now I can accept that I feel much better actually. More relaxed. Let it be someone else's problem."

"Hello, is that Sam Carter in there?" Daniel said pretending to knock on her head.

"I'm fed up, Daniel, I want to go home."

"Wanna get back for New Years?"

"The thought occurred."

"Ah! Wanna see in the New Year with Jack, huh?"

"Might be nice, yes. If we get back in good time I can ask the General for a couple of days and take a hop to DC."

But the best laid plans…

When the storm broke, it burst out of the sky like a special effect in a disaster movie. Wind howled, rain poured, chill bit through their skins, and the tents were miserable, not up to the task of protecting them from such upheaval.
Choice less, they retreated to the smelly ruin and hunkered down with the device, moving all their gear right along with them.

And they were stuck there for too long, days rather than hours. By the time the storm abated Sam knew that they'd be lucky to make it back to the SGC for New Year's Eve and she didn't have a hope of making it to DC for the celebrations.

*****************************

The shopping expedition with Cassie and Chris turned into a monster of gigantic proportions. There was food, decorations, a tree as well as presents to procure. Jack had to sneak off on his own to pick something up for Cassie to open on Christmas Day, having realised that he'd already sent his present to her so he needed another one. Then there was Chris to consider, which was a conundrum that he solved eventually.

All the traipsing around was exhausting and irksome. When Cassie declared that she wanted to go into just one more shop, Jack nearly burst a blood vessel but,
instead, suggested the he and Chris go off to a bar, have a drink and wait for Cassie there. Chris was a man; he must be fed up too, right?

Although Chris was grateful for the break, he was also more than slightly nervous about being alone with Jack and no Cassie to back him up. Jack sensed that and wanted to break that ice with the young man. If he could crack that nut, their Christmas together would be way more pleasant and fun. Jack bought them a couple of beers and steered him to some discreet seats in a booth.

"Chris," he said softly, trying to put the boy at ease, "I never really made you welcome when you first arrived. Would you be willing to forgive an old fool and shake my hand now?"

Chris smiled winningly and reached out his hand towards Jack's, who was pleased by his firm handshake. Not at all namby pamby as he'd feared it might be, and
confirming his favorable impression of the young man. Jack was thinking there should be no beating about the bush and he should just go for it.

"I kind of like you, kid," he started, "and I know you're probably on your best behaviour but so far I haven't found any cons."

"Cons?" said Chris, slightly taken aback by that blunt approach, but appreciative of the opening.

"For that little mental tally of pros and cons I've been keeping in my head, a kind of ticks and crosses list, if you like."

"About me?"

"Yep. I so wanted to find some cons. I've got a negative personality," Jack explained with an engaging smile.

Chris laughed and the laughter was wholehearted. Jack liked that.

"I guess I should be pleased that you haven't, sir."

"Probably. Believe me, I look hard. I really am a worst-case scenario kind of a guy. It's become a habit." Jack replied, continuing to smile, making the nervous
young man relax, "Didn't I tell you to lose the sir and call me Jack?"

"S-sure… um… Jack, but you're a General in the US Air Force."

"And you find that intimidating?"

"A little. And you're like, well, like Cassie's dad, you know?"

"Cassie's dad and a General? Sheesh! That sure is intimidating," Jack rejoined with soft sarcasm, "Newsflash: I'm flesh and blood just like anyone else."

"I guess I was raised to respect those people who fight the good fight for us out there, you know?"

"You were? Cool! A lot of folks your age don't."

"From what Cassie says you’re a hero."

"Ack!" Jack waved away the compliment with a hand, "she exaggerates. To her maybe I am."

He wondered what she had been saying, pretty confident that the young woman hadn’t been revealing any state secrets. It must be hard to live such a lie. Jack knew a little about living lies, smiling and faking it. One of these days he figured that maybe he should talk to Cassie about it, although Janet probably already had, many years ago. Cassie was a good woman; pretty well adjusted
considering everything, and very Tauri after all these years. She’d adjusted.

"I feel pretty confident that you don't make General just by sitting on your butt, sir… um… Jack," continued Chris, "and you sure seem to have a lot of medals," he blushed, "Cassie showed me."

"Has she been rooting around in my things again?"

"You should be proud, sir… Jack."

Jack was proud but didn’t like to brag, at least not to friends, so he smiled self-deprecatingly and Chris decided that was an interesting trait in this man. He was beginning to appreciate why Cassie thought so highly of her "Uncle Jack".

"I think Sam would like you," Jack declared, as usual deflecting the conversation away from him when there were compliments flying around.

"I hope she does because if I have anything to say about it I'll be sticking around for a long time to come. Cassie's a wonderful person. I've never met anyone quite like her. She's so special."

"Yes, she is," Jack beamed proudly, "She's had a hard time getting folks to appreciate that sometimes."

"Well I do."

"I'm glad. She needs people to recognise it."

"I-I think I want to spend the rest of my life with her," Chris acknowledged, gulping as he said the words, and shocking himself that he'd confided that to this man.

"Whoa! That's quite some confession, son. You're both very young."

"I know. I haven't told her that, of course. It's way too soon."

"I know that feeling," Jack retorted with a chuckle.

"Is that the way you feel about the engagement ring thing?"

Jack met his eyes and regarded him seriously.

"A little."

"But Cassie says you've known each other for years."

"We have but…"

"You have doubts?"

"Not that it's what I want, no."

"So?"

"Look Chris, I don't really talk about that kind of stuff."

"Okay, sure. I'm sorry. I respect your privacy. It's just… it's a long time to wait, is all."

"It surely is. Worth it though."

"Cassie thinks very highly of Sam. She sounds like a great person."

"She is."

"You knew Cassie's mom, didn't you?"

"Janet was a friend of ours, yes."

"Cassie misses her."

"We all do. She was a great person too. And she raised another one with Cassie. She did a good job."

"Seems so. I wish I could have met her. I hope she would have liked me… approved."

"I think she would have. She could be a bit of a mother hen, of course, but she was a great judge of character."

Jack was amused to see Chris blush at that, and cough with embarrassment.

"I'm honored you think so, sir, I mean Jack."

"I like to flatter myself that I'm a good judge of character too, Chris. I hope I'm not wrong about you."

"I hope so too, sir. I understand you want to look out for Cassie. I'll try not to let you down."

Jack nodded silently at that, believing that he'd reached a kind of understanding with the young man and feeling slightly satisfied, as well as confident that Chris would try his best for Cassie's sake.

"We can't always keep our promises, Chris. Life has a habit of throwing a curve ball. All we can do is our best."

"Then I'll try to do that."

"Yes, I do believe you will," Jack said, deciding not to put more pressure on Chris about that particular issue right now, so changing the subject. "Do you play poker?" he grinned.

"You know anyone who doesn't?"

"Actually I do. I take it that's a yes."

"Sure."

"Well I have some friends coming over on Boxing Day. We get together for poker so will probably play. You might want to join us."

"Boxing Day?"

"Sheesh, of course you've never heard of Boxing Day, why should you have? A few years ago I spent some time over in the England and that's a holiday they have over there. The day after Christmas Day. Ever since then I made a point of adding it into my calendar. I kind of like the idea of a day after Christmas Day," he smiled at the thought, and the memories it brought back.

"Right. Isn't there always a day after Christmas Day?" Chris retorted and Jack chuckled.

"You sound just like a friend of mine called Daniel."

"Daniel Jackson?" Chris responded, "Another one of Cassie's uncles, huh?"

"She has many. The Cassieuncle tree we all grow on is very common in Colorado Springs," Jack quipped and it was Chris's turn to chuckle. "I think there's some kind of significance to Boxing Day over there but I guess I never bothered to find out what it is. Who cares? It's the day after Christmas so worth celebrating, right?" Jack grinned.

"Right. England? Wow! I guess you must have travelled around a lot with your work."

'That's an understatement that you couldn't even begin to guess at, son,' Jack thought with amusement.

"I've travelled, some. But often all you see is the inside of a US Air Force base. It's not always as interesting as you might suppose," he said aloud.

Chris got the impression that those words hid a lot of the real truth, and he was right of course, but he didn't press further.

"Poker could be a lot of fun, sir," Chris said with a smile.

"Sheesh! It's Jack, for crying out loud. Get used to it. Now, I have this friend Jimmy who is coming over and you are so gonna like him…"

*****************************

As they approached the gate, Sam was cursing under her breath about the mission and not getting back to Jack for New Years, snipping about the waste of time and what a great Christmas she could have had. Daniel didn't think he'd ever seen her quite so eager to get home, or so pissed. The long trek back had been damp and uncomfortable, the ground sodden and muddy with pockets of puddles at every turn.

Sam had been unlucky and slipped right into one just a couple of hours earlier and now she was caked from head to toe in brown and smelled pretty bad too. She
desperately needed a hot shower and couldn't wait to get back. They'd been stuck on that forsaken rock for over a week. Because of the long walk to and from the artefact, it was scheduled to be a long mission, but it had dragged on well over a week with nothing much to show for it. They were way overdue.

Back at the SGC, there were smiles of relief on many faces when they received the IDC for SG-1. Landry had dialled up the gate a few times trying to contact them but they'd been well out of range and the inclement weather made sending a UAV impossible. The General had not liked the look of that weather at all and worried for his team.

He was smiling broadly as they walked through the event horizon looking bedraggled and forlorn and it took a supreme effort to keep a straight face when he saw the poor state that Colonel Carter was in. The team were back and seemed uninjured; that meant a good deal.

Sam trudged down the ramp staring down at the metal and the shocking state of her boots when a familiar voice spoke.

"Carter."

Her heart rated pattered excitedly. It was Jack! What the heck was he doing in Cheyenne Mountain on New Year's Eve? God, what a welcome, and what a smile! It was a sight for sore and very pissed eyes. She met his eyes across the gate room. Jack! Her face cracked into a huge smile. Jack!

"General," she said formally.

"Hey," he replied returning her smile.

"Hey," she responded.

"Good to have you back, Colonel."

"Good to be back, sir."

"Muddy, was it?" he grinned crookedly, amused by her dishevelled and dirty appearance.

"Aw crap! I must look terrible."

"You could say that, but I wouldn't," he said, continuing the lopsided grin. "A shower might be good," he continued.

Despite the mud and smell, Jack so wanted to take her into his arms for a long hug. When Landry called him to tell him that SG-1 were way overdue he hoisted a finger in the air at The Pentagon and flew straight to Colorado. He'd been worried, swallowing back the fear that made his heart seem so heavy and trying to stay professional.

In the face of her arrival, safe and sound, it was difficult to keep his hands off her. But this was the SGC, the gate room. There was such a thing as decorum for an officer, particularly a General in the US Air force.

"A shower might be way more than good," she responded unable to tear her gaze from Jack's penetrating stare. Stepping closer she added in a low voice, "You've been worried."

"You were overdue."

"I'm here now. I'm okay."

"Yes, not a moment too soon. It's New Year's Eve you know."

"Doing anything?"

"Spending it with you?" he asked.

"I'd really like that."

"Yeah, me too."

As he walked along with her to the infirmary he thought she seemed ill at ease and it bothered him.

"Screw this!" he exclaimed, stopping in the corridor, grasping her arm gently and turning her to face him. "And screw them!" he indicated the ever present cameras. "What is it, Sam, honey?" He asked, stroking her cheek and momentarily surprising her.

"It’s not you, Jack. I'm just so pissed off with myself. I wasted all that time, our Christmas, dammit, and got nowhere. I'm not as bright as people like to think."

"You're beating yourself up because you couldn't solve the scientific puzzle?"

"I missed our Christmas to waste my time not solving that scientific puzzle."

"So is it the missed Christmas or the puzzle that pisses you off?"

"A combination of both."

"Mr Scarecrow will kiss it better," he offered with a smile.

"Dorothy would really like that Mr Scarecrow, but I'm one hell of a mess, and I smell!"

"Hey, nothing beats mud! I love it! C'mere. Let’s give ‘em an eyeful," his eyes wandered up towards the cameras and he was vaguely amused by what might be going
through the heads of the watching SFs, deciding that he didn’t really give a flying fig. Sam didn’t seem to mind either as he pulled her into his arms, kissing her for breathless, mind-blowing moments, and then hugged her tightly.

"What was that?" she asked when they came up for air.

"What was what?"

"That kiss?"

"Um, a kiss?"

"That was quite some kiss."

"It was a kissing you better kiss. I save them for special occasions."

"It was an amazing kiss, Jack"

"Really?"

"Have you been practising?"

"You're kidding, right? No one but Samantha Carter has access to Jack O'Neill's magic lips, he joked, "Well, maybe with the exception of Cassie under the mistletoe."

"Cassie?"

"Oh, yeah! Guess who dropped by to keep me company over Christmas?"

"Cassie?" she was stunned.

"Sure did; with Chris in tow. He’s an okay guy, by the way, and plays a mean hand of poker," Sam arched her eyebrows, even more taken aback, "I'll tell you all about it later, but you first, Sam."

"Me first what?"

"Tell me all about it."

It bothered him that there was so clearly something wrong. Having missed their Christmas together he looked forward to seeing in the New Year with her and
fervently hoped he could find a way to improve her mood.

So he held her in his arms, careless of the watchers and her filthy state, rocking her gently as she related her tale of woe and soothing her with both comforting whispers, and razor sharp wit. By the time they made it into the
infirmary, her mood had lightened considerably. Better: way better.

When she was eventually released and showered Jack was bowled over by her bright smile and he took her hand as they strolled towards the elevator.

"T-this is a bit of a surprise, Jack… v-very public, "she declared, "being here, the kiss, cuddling, holding hands. You might as well have kissed me in the gate room."

He eyed her with a grin.

"I wish I had," he paused, "It isn’t a secret, is it? I don’t… do you mind?" he suddenly appeared uncertain.

"No, not a secret and no, I don’t mind," she smiled and squeezed his hand gently. "I just never thought…"

"You don’t think it’s very O’Neill like?"

"Or very Carter like."

Jack could tell that, although surprised, Sam was also pleased by his actions. She’d never anticipated such an open display of affection. In effect he was announcing their relationship to the entire SGC. Sure, it wasn’t a secret, and the whole of the Pentagon probably knew about it by now, but this was different: this was the SGC, it was where Sam worked, and it was home.

Sam felt good about it; that Jack was open enough to want to show affection towards her publicly, in a place he still had a work connection with. It was like stepping out of that room they’d locked a long time ago: stepping out into the open and into the rest of their lives.

"It’s New Year's Eve," he responded with a grin, "and it’s going to be one hell of a year!"

"Is that a promise?" she responded, acknowledging his nod with a broad smile and a kiss on the cheek.

He was right; it was going to be one hell of a year and she was so looking forward to that. Searching his eyes and finding them sparkling with happiness, she could see that she wasn't the only one. Yeahsureyabetchya - one hell of a year!