samandjack.net

Story Notes: scc@theplanet.net.au

ARCHIVE: SJA yes! Helipolis Yes!

FEEDBACK: well let see DUH! please? I will write more if you give me some.....


They're gone.

Both of them.

Two of the most important and most respected soilders in the SGC are laying before me. Side by side. Dead. I stand here in the cold air conditioning just staring at the bodies before me, trying desperatly to make it sink in. But its not. A glimer of hope still burns in my heart, waiting for one of them to annonuce it was a big joke, waiting for someone to say its just a dream.

and I contiue to wait.

But nothing happens.

Colonel Jonathan O'Neill, 44 years of age, a man who is was brave beyond the call of duty, a man who looked out for everyone, a man who stood up for what he believe in, a man who man you smile with one of his jokes. He was a rebellious solider, but was the best. He was growing old, but had the spirt of a child. He was single, but his heart belonged to the woman beside him.

Major Samantha Carter, 35 years of age, a woman who was not only brilliant and talented, but bueatiful. A woman who brung a smile to your lips with her childlike innocence, who was always there for you when you need her, a woman who gave up so much of her life to help others. She was caring, and she was strong. She was devoted to science, but was an aspring Major in the airforce. She was also single, but looked up to and loved and respected the man beside her.

I had never seen, nor experinced the love they shared for one another. They where true to they're duties as Major and Colonel and never crossed that line-no matter how close they got. They both gave up all the happiness for the lives of earth- something that should be marked in their graves and in history, it should never have been for nothing.

The air is growing colder around me, but the closer I stand the the two, I feel a warm heat radiating from them. An unnatural glow that surrounded them like a protective bubble. If I could cry, I would shed a tear for them. For all they had lost and for all we did not give them in return. One can not help but feel ashamed for taking away the one thing they both yearned for.

I know it is time to leave, time to bid goodbye and rest them in peace. But I can not yet believe that after everything that has happened, they are dead. They where the last people I ever thought would die before their time. I can't help but feel cheated.

Tomorrow I will say goodbye. Tommorow I will watch them fade through the stargate as we honour their memory. Tommorrow I will wake up and find that life will go on and that the guilt will slowly dissolve and the shame will fade from my heart. Shame becasue I hold the cards on their happiness, I stole the one thing that could be repsonible for killing them. No one can really die of a broken heart can they?

I leave, but before I do, I rest my hand on each of their foreheads before gently touching their now joined hands. I turn around and leave, no longer able to bare it all. I want to go back to my office and close the door and prented it dosn't hurt as much as it does, pretend that I havn't lost a son or a daughter.....I just want to pretend.

Why didn't I do something?............

"Yo! Mon General?"

"Sir, I really think you shouldn't do that."

"Carter, relax. He's just sleeping, he can't see me."

"Sir, really. Come on, let him sleep. He deserves it. We'll come back later."

"Fine. But only becasue you asked so nicely, Carter."

"I'll keep that in mind next time you decide to be stubourn."

"Me? Stubbourn? I think you have me confused with some one else, Major."

"What ever you say, Colonel. What ever you say."

"Well Major, I say we go get ourselves some dinner."

"Your on. But no steaks....everytime I see a steak I remember how disapointed the General looked."

"Oh come on, Carter. The Generals a teady bear, he loves us. Don't worry about it. Just do another little miracle and we'll call it even."

"I'm so glad you have so much faith in me, Sir. After all, for me mircales are like making a cup off coffee."

"Thats my Major!"

"Well since I'm sewing the mircles, your shout."

"What do I look like a Bank to you? How much money do you think I have? The airforce donsn't pay that well you know......"

How true.

I raise my head to watch the major throw back her head and laugh at the Colonel as he draps a hand around her shoulder and guides her out of the debriefing room. I sigh and rub the back of my head, realising I was only having a nightmare. It was some nightmare- it felt so real.

Looking at the managled paper on my desk I bite my lip. It's SG-1s latest mission. One they'd just come back from, barely making it out alive. One which has resulted in Dr Jackson being stitched back together in the infirmary. I hear the fading laughter down the corridor and I stare at the red phone.

I hold the cards and now I've decided to lay down my first one. I know in my heart it will be worth it. Picking up the phone I dial the presidents number. "Yes, this is General Hammond, I have a matter to discuss with the president........"




DA END!