samandjack.net

Story Notes: Sequel to Never Alone 39 - The Big Day.

Author's Notes: Thanks to ImmerRDA for inspiring me with one of the ideas I have used in this story. She'll know what it is! She also offered some additional inspiration when beta reading this chapter, which I used to enhance my storytelling. I am very grateful for her input. In return, she "stole" a little piece of my story for an email signature and that seems a fair exchange, lol!


The man stretched, yawning and considering rolling out of bed, but his covers remained firmly in place and he pulled them up to his chin again. Bright sun glimmered through a chink in the curtains and sounds of activity filtered through the window from outside. A baby cried from far off; a car door slammed; a couple of children played exuberantly.

None of these things bothered the bed dweller. They were signs of normality and did not rouse him because Daniel Jackson was already awake. It was early and he woke after dreaming he made a right royal screw up of his best man's speech. He couldn't sleep after that.

Coffee was just peeking out of its air tight container and calling his name when he heard someone else moving inside the house. Jack? Maybe Teal'c. Francine was not there but had opted to stay in a hotel for the night so the men could freak out together and not bring her down with them. Daniel had arranged to meet her at the chapel.

He heard running water, the shower. Probably Jack getting up and ready early. The eager groom. The best man, however, was not so eager. He stayed in bed a while longer thinking about the day ahead. Then he stretched his indolence for another while, and another. For some reason, he was reluctant to get up. Those butterflies flying around in his stomach might have something to do with it, he thought.

When he heard Jack return to the bedroom, Daniel began to think he should make more of an effort. He would get coffee, start preparing some breakfast and then ensure his friend was all right. If he was feeling nervous Jack might be worse, so Daniel believed he should do his duty. Look after the groom - and see whether Teal'c was around yet to help calm tattered nerves.

Reluctantly rising from the bed, he pulled on some jogging bottoms and a sweat shirt, wandering out to the kitchen. Teal'c was already there, poking around in his cupboards.

"Um, hey Teal'c. What you doing?"

"Good morning Daniel Jackson." Teal'c turned toward him. "I am seeking suitable nourishment."

"I was just about to make breakfast. Pancakes and maple syrup. Bacon too if you want. But first, coffee. Want some orange juice?"

"I helped myself. I sincerely hope that you have no objections."

"It's fine," Daniel replied distractedly as he starting making the coffee. A caffeine boost is exactly what he needed. Followed by lots of food. His stomach was restlessly agitated, but he knew eating would make him feel better even if his tightened guts forced him to throw it all up later.

"May I sit?" Teal'c asked, and Daniel turned to throw him a look.

"Teal'c, you really have to learn to make yourself at home."

"But I am not at home. I am many millions of light years away from home."

Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. "Don't you ever feel at home here on Earth? Even in your room at the SGC?"

Teal'c's dark penetrating gaze held Daniel's eyes, and he appeared to be considering his response. "Not entirely," he admitted candidly.

Thinking this a poignant statement, Daniel was not sure how to respond. "Not even with your friends?" he probed.

"I could wish for no better friends."

Daniel smiled thinly. "That's not what I asked."

"The ways of the Tauri are not the ways of the Jaffa," Teal'c clarified as if it explained everything. Maybe it did. Daniel was not sure whether to pursue the topic or not and in that short period of indecision the moment seemed to pass. "Did you sleep well?" Teal'c asked politely, possibly to deflect from the subject at hand.

"Yeah, considering."

"Considering what, Daniel Jackson?"

"That today is Jack and Sam's wedding day."

Teal'c appeared to ponder the statement. "You are perturbed?"

Daniel waved a dismissive hand in Teal'c's direction. "Ack!" he exclaimed. "No more than usual. I'll screw up, Jack will crack up and the whole thing will turn into a monstrous disaster." He smiled at Teal'c cheekily to let him know he was kidding because his Jaffa friend had a habit of taking words literally. Daniel, however, was only partly joking.

Being perceptive of moods, despite his friend's jest Teal'c realized he was anxious about fulfilling his duties as O'Neill's best man. Daniel Jackson had intimated this on more than one occasion before today. Having sat earlier the Jaffa now rose again and approached Daniel, who paused what he was doing. Teal'c smiled and reached out to squeeze his arm.

"I am confident in your abilities, Daniel Jackson," he said.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Daniel replied looking up at his team mate.

"You will carry out your duties admirably."

Teal'c appeared to be as composed as they come. No surprise there. His serenity personified manner could be reassuring, and it had exactly that effect on Daniel now. He nodded an acknowledgement of his thanks to Teal'c with a small grin and, satisfied, his friend returned to his seat at the kitchen table.

Daniel poured coffee, taking a well needed gulp. Then as he pottered around preparing breakfast, the two men lapsed into silence. Their muteness was not however borne from discomfort but from companionable tranquility.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Francine Butler calmly brushed the mascara wand over her eyelashes, wondering how the men folk were getting along. Although it was at her suggestion, she had not really wanted to spend the night away from Daniel. Their long distance relationship meant they were frequently apart and she regretted that. Francine wished to take full advantage of the meager time they got to be together. Staying in a hotel for this one night had, however, seemed the sensible thing to do. Leave the guys alone to get on with whatever they did the night before weddings. She might have spoiled that dynamic.

Daniel was best man and wished to spend the eve of the wedding looking after the groom, something he considered his duty. Also, something Francine believed he might have wanted to do even if he weren't the best man. It seemed right to her that he do so, therefore she bowed out. The men could have their moments sandwiched between the times she would be spending with her lover on this trip.

As the word 'lover' rolled around in her head, she contemplated it. Daniel was her lover, but it did not seem the correct language to use to describe their relationship. Problem was, Francine was not certain what the proper term would be. Boyfriend seemed to her like a teen expression, too young for their mature years. Partner appeared too much like a life long commitment, and she was not sure either of them was ready for that yet. Beau, flame, steady, date. None of them was quite right.

If Francine was committed to any man in this world, Daniel was the guy. They had feelings for each other. Feelings neither of them had expected to have when they started out on what she anticipated would be a casual fling. One thing she was certain of, however, was that this relationship with Daniel was far from casual.

Only a few weeks before, Daniel had talked about them faking it. Playing it by ear. It was the same night he stashed the ever-present photograph of his late wife in a draw. That told Francine a lot about how he felt, that he was ready to let their relationship evolve into whatever they might make of it. A commitment, of sorts, she knew.

Snorting, she remembered the relationship had started because of today's bride and groom. She had taken a shine to her neighbor, Jack O'Neill. He was a fox, he really was. Sam was a lucky woman. But on reflection, Francine knew that she was the lucky one - to have met a guy like Daniel.

She might be reluctant to admit it sometimes, but he was special to her. No one had come this close to that in the longest time. Francine had not let them. With Daniel, she felt different - like she was an exceptional woman because he had chosen to care about her. It was a great feeling.

He could be inept and gauche, distracted by his work and inattentive, a little eccentric and often intense and provocative. But he was also sweet, gentle and kind, thoughtful and loving, and when Daniel did give her his attention he could give it full on. He was one of the brightest men she had ever had the pleasure to meet, and darned sexy with it.

Daniel deserved to know she felt something. more for him. Every time they talked about feelings, she seemed to give him a bone but then withdraw it again. They could both be quite cagey, it seemed. But during that conversation where he suggested they faked it, he had given so much of himself. More than she had understood at the time.

In response, she reminded him that commitment scared the hell out of her. Not quite the enthusiastic reception she could have given to what appeared to have been an invitation to his heart. He had tossed her the ball and she had thrown it back instead of running with it.

Commitment scared him too. She realized that. This was why she had to say something. Throw him that bone without burying it again.

Decisively, she rose from her chair and grabbed her cell phone from her handbag, pressing the speed dial for his number. It was still early. Maybe too early, but she had the urge to speak to him. To hear his voice and confess. something.

"Francine!" he exclaimed with genuine warmth when he picked up the call.

"Hey."

"Hey to you too."

Francine liked to imagine his expression as all grins while he spoke. She pictured one of his most appealing smiles and kept the image in her head, smiling herself.

"How are you guys? In a panic?"

"Jack isn't up yet."

"Oh! I called too early?"

"It is a little early. But he's awake I think. I'm up."

"Wish I had been there to help you wake up." She drawled the words seductively and Daniel pictured her waggling her eyebrows and pouting her lips seductively. Nice image!

He chuckled. "You sure can find interesting ways to wake up a man."

"Mmmm. later, big boy."

"I'll hold you to that."

"Please do."

A silence hung between them for a while as they contemplated the later she referred to.

"So, how was it last night?" she asked, breaking the tension.

"Surprisingly calm."

"Ah!"

There was a pause at the other end. "Ah?" Daniel queried. "What's that mean?"

"Calm before a storm and all that, maybe? Don't tell me the groom isn't nervous."

"Too calm."

"Exactly. Ah!"

"You figure he'll freak this morning?"

"You know him better than me, Daniel. But what groom wouldn't be anxious on the big day?"

Remembering the day he married Sha're, Daniel could not help but agree. It was a very different kind of ceremony to Jack and Sam's, but with the same purpose. He had been both delighted and terrified, and did not know which one predominated. There was a point, though, when he simply became serene. Peace descended and settled inside him as if he had been born for that moment. He hoped Jack would feel like that because it was one of the most incredible feelings Daniel had ever experienced.

"Yeah," he responded monosyllabically, conscious that he did not wish to tell her what he had been thinking about.

"How about you?" she asked, knowing he was apprehensive too.

"Me?"

"Nervous?"

He drew in a breath. "Um, yes."

"You'll be fine."

"Sure." He did not sound it.

"You'll be great, Daniel. Perfect man for the job. Jack wouldn't have chosen you if he didn't think so, right?"

"I guess." She could still detect the doubt in his voice but figured nothing she could say would make any difference. "Um, I was making breakfast when you called so is there anything specific you wanted?"

Initially Francine wondered if he was trying to brush her off but, on reflection, she realized Daniel was probably just stressed. It was a big day today and he had a lot to do. She had to get to the point, but how?

"Just a quick chat. Checking on the men folk," she said lightheartedly, but beneath the veneer she was fretful, wondering how to phrase what she wanted to say.

"I'm glad you called."

"Yeah. Me too." Pausing uncertainly, Francine took a deep breath and plunged onward to the main purpose of her call. "You know I'm falling for you, don't you Daniel?" She thought she heard a muffled gasp before silence descended. There, she had said it. Maybe not enough, but something. The bone.

"I, um, I." he stammered before silence descended again, obviously uncertain how to react. Her inept timing as well as her words flustered him. Broaching this on Jack and Sam's wedding day, a day when Daniel was attempting to stay calm and collected, was so entirely the wrong moment. As Jack might say, for cryin' out loud.! But so like Francine. She was not exactly renowned for her subtlety, although Daniel had discovered she had her moments. Many of them.

Francine was vaguely amused by his stumbling reaction, but also worried. Maybe she had read too much into that conversation a few weeks back. But if he was willing to try moving on from Sha're, then why tell her if he was not moving on with her?

"I just wanted you to know."

"F-Francine."

"It's okay. You don't have to say anything. I just wanted. that's all." In fact, she desperately needed him to say something, but did not want to push. If she was wrong about Daniel's feelings, things could grow awkward between them and she did not want that.

"I, um, I. me too," he finally admitted. "Falling, that is. Fallen, actually."

She figured he must have heard her sigh of relief. "Fallen." she repeated.

"Er. is that. um. is that okay with you?" The uncertainty was still there, she noticed.

"You need permission?" she said with a grin. Fallen? Wow. She suspected as much, but this was the first real confirmation. They had been pussyfooting around for quite some time now. Being evasive, avoiding too much. Daniel had made a big gesture when he put away that photograph of Sha're. Francine's small confession was her big gesture. She needed to do more. "Fallen is probably right. Yeah. Fallen. Me too."

Francine wondered what Daniel was thinking. He knew how she felt about commitment. This was something big for her, but was it enough for him? At least for now?

"I wish I could see your face," he said. "Just. see your expression."

"I'm grinning. A regular Cheshire cat."

"That got the cream?"

Francine was envisaging that smile again. "A whole bucket full," she said humorously, tittering softly.

"That sounds kind of good."

"It is. But it doesn't have to mean anything. Not unless you want it to." Her words echoed his during that conversation she kept recalling. He had not wished to scare her off she realized now. So he had retreated, and at the same time protected his heart with slight flippancy.

There was a long pause before he replied. "I want it to," he admitted at last. Francine nodded, grinning madly, and then remembered he could not see her.

"So, that commitment thing. it's. we're." she started, petering out because she did not know what else to say.

"Commitment is what today is all about, isn't it?" he tried inserting helpfully, urging her on.

"Fitting then, huh?"

"Um, yeah, you could say that."

"Does this mean we're going steady?" she asked in a jokily girlish tone and he laughed.

"Practically engaged," he retorted with equal jocularity, but they both recognized the gravity of their intent. "Seriously, Francine I'm. er. I'm really pleased you called. That you said. well, you know. what you said."

She heard him suck in a breath and, like him, wished she could see his expression. Never mind, they had lots of time. She started to wonder how easy it might be to move to the Springs, closer to him. Francine could not picture Daniel being the one to make that move. He was dedicated to his work while she was not. 'Whoa, girl!' she thought. 'Moving fast here. Press the brake pedal and slow down a little.'

"I-I needed to. Couldn't wait any longer," she mumbled.

"Not even a couple of hours?" His tone had an exuberant edge.

"Waited too long already, I think. Rotten timing, I guess, but you know me." She took a deep breath. "You're a special person, Daniel. Very special."

"You too."

Suddenly, Francine felt a little awkward. This was a conversation best continued face to face. "I missed you last night," she said.

"Me too," he agreed readily.

"I know you're busy. I'd better go. Get my own breakfast. What you making for the guys? Pancakes?" She loved it when he made pancakes. Delicious.

"Yep. I'll whip some up for you tomorrow if you like. We can have breakfast in bed."

Francine imagined that cheeky grin of his again. "Okay," she replied with a chuckle. "Think food fight." Daniel laughed.

"Actually, I had in mind feeding you."

She could picture that scenario perfectly. Daniel feeding her as a prelude to some great lovemaking. She could almost hear him smirking down the phone.


"Nice one, rock boy," she teased. "Hold that thought."

"I will."

"See you later."

Hanging up, Francine reflected on the conversation, happy she had thrown Daniel that bone and he had run with it. In a pensive mood, she made her way down to breakfast. A hearty meal to keep her going until later. She eschewed the hotel pancakes because she thought no way could they be as good as Daniel's - and not even close to being as much fun.

Tomorrow morning. She grinned happily at the thought, secretly hoping there could be many such mornings. Francine was beginning to think she might get used to the idea of a whole lifetime of them.

After breakfast, she returned to her room, meticulously preparing for the day ahead. Once ready, she appraised herself in the mirror.

"You look pretty darned fine girl!" she exclaimed aloud. "Even if you do say so yourself." Glancing at her watch, she realized it was nearly time to leave.

Francine was ready for Jack and Sam's big day.

Excited by the intent of Francine's call, after they disconnected Daniel sat for a few moments staring at his cell phone. He had to gather himself for a while before returning to complete his original task - taking coffee to Jack, and alerting him to the imminence of breakfast.

Francine had knocked him for a loop. Apparently, their relationship had just moved up a level. It was a big deal for her, he realized, and quite a surprise. A nice surprise. Jack had been right to call him on his feelings for her and Daniel had given it a lot of thought since their conversation about her a few weeks before.

For him, sweeping away the visible signs of his previous marriage was significant. He had not been certain Francine had grasped that, despite what he had said about being time for him to move on. Daniel had realized he was willing to make something more of their relationship, but had been wondering if she was.

Sure, they got along. Better than he originally imagined. She was terrific company, made him laugh, helped him relax. There were many bonuses.

Living so far apart had been one of them for a long time, but recently he had been less sure about it being an upside. Daniel wanted the chance and time for more. Francine might be the one, he thought. With the way she made him feel, this was entirely possible. It was kind of scary, but sometimes in life a person is required to have faith.

Francine had a habit of backing off and reminding him she did not do commitment. Daniel knew some things about her past that meant he understood why. This combination made faith harder to come by. Nevertheless, he had never been willing to let it go. He had to keep trying, even if it took him months to comprehend that this was what he was doing.

So, despite that he knew she liked him and enjoyed his company, Daniel had lacked certainty of late. Particularly once he had made up his mind to go for it, as Jack had suggested - to not allow his memory of Sha're stand in the way of something that might be very different, but was still special.

Now it seemed Francine wanted to go for it too, and he could not have been more delighted. Daniel wanted to tell Jack he had been right, but today was not the day for that. Today was Jack's day.

The thought brought him abruptly back to reality. He had a job to do. Jack still had not made an appearance and Daniel had to finish making breakfast. Francine's call had interrupted him right in the middle of mixing the pancake batter and he had returned to his bedroom to be alone for their chat. He imagined that was just as well. The conversation had not been of the type he wanted to have in front of his friend, Teal'c, however close they were.

Plenty of time to ruminate later, he thought, getting up and suppressing his excitement to deal with matters that were more prosaic.

Now to get Jack out of his lair.

A few minutes later with coffee in hand for Jack, Daniel was poised to knock on the spare bedroom door. He paused as he noticed a piece of paper stuck there. A note in the recognizable scrawl his friend called handwriting.

"Out of my mind. Back in five minutes," it read, and Daniel grinned to himself. Then, already exuberant after his conversation with Francine, he chuckled, wondering when Jack had put it there. It was going to be one of those days it seemed.

Knocking, he heard Jack grunt what he presumed to be permission to enter.

"Haven't had my five minutes yet," Jack griped jokily as he walked in and Daniel laughed.

"I've got coffee." Daniel replied, indicating the cup. Jack smiled lopsidedly.

Eyeing the coffee, he was thinking caffeine might not be the optimal drug of choice on a day when he needed to keep his cool. Daniel too. They could both end up hyper and hanging from the ceiling by their nails. A sedative would be more appropriate in the circumstances and he briefly considered asking Daniel if he had any Valium, amused by the notion. Nevertheless, he took the cup.

No way in hell was his best man going to get through this day without coffee. If you can't beat 'em. yadda, yadda, yadda.

"What? Breakfast in bed?" he quipped humorously, keeping his thoughts about hyperactivity, ceilings and nails to himself.

"Huh! You've got to be kidding. Call this breakfast? Pancakes will be coming up in a few minutes."

"Pancakes?" Jack said enthusiastically, his eyebrows shooting up into a symbol of surprise mixed with pleasure. "Maple syrup?" he asked expectantly.

"And bacon." Daniel's voice held an enticing tone and the other side of Jack's mouth twitched, joining the already crooked one to form a cheeky grin.

"You sure know how to spoil a guy," he said.

"Yeah well, pancakes are about the only breakfast I'm any good at. Cooking isn't exactly my area of expertise."

"You and me both. So where'd you learn to make the pancakes?" Jack asked curiously. He had sampled Daniel's pancakes before and his friend made darned fine ones.

"Actually, from Sarah Gardner. She said she refused to date a man whose idea of breakfast was coffee followed by more coffee. Pancakes were her favorite, so she taught me." Daniel's smile became wistful, filled with memories.

"My Sara made great pancakes," Jack commented with an equally reflective grin.

"As good as mine?" Daniel teased.

"Could any pancakes be as good as yours?"

Although he detected a hint of sarcasm in Jack's tone, Daniel was confident of his pancake making skills so ignored the jibe. He knew Jack loved his pancakes. This was why he was making the effort for his friend's wedding day.

"I got lots of practice," he replied.

"I bet that's not all you were practicing," Jack responded, winking.

Jack's jaunty personal comment surprised him, but Daniel retorted immediately. "That would be a yes." The two men smirked at each other, but the younger man could feel his face starting to flush and changed the subject. "So, how you feeling?"

"Didn't you read my note?" Jack replied with a gleam in his mischievous eyes.

Daniel grinned. "Nervous then, huh?"

Jack looked him in the eye and lied outright, his now blank expression giving nothing away. "Actually, I'm good."

"Sure." Daniel looked skeptical.

"What, you don't believe me?" He maintained eye contact with his friend, a steady piercing gaze. Jack did not want to admit how anxious he really was. He could not allow himself to give in to it. Talking about it might make it more real, and maybe worse. As with so many other things, he wanted to bury it in as deep and dark a place as possible.

Daniel's disbelieving look grew increasingly doubtful. "Um, that would be a no. Besides, the note says differently."

"Yeah, well it's been way more than five minutes." He pulled his eyes away, glancing down at his mug of coffee. "Come on! A joke's a joke, Daniel."

Jack's tone was jovial but Daniel knew he was lying and Jack knew he knew. Neither of them said anything. A moment of tension passed between them before Jack allowed the aroma of freshly brewed coffee to distract him, taking a long sniff of his mug before taking a sip.

"Nice!" he raised his eyes to meet Daniel's again and stared at him unflinchingly, as if defying him to return to the subject of how he was feeling. "Is the big guy around?" he asked.

Daniel's eyes narrowed as he wavered over whether to call Jack on his uneasiness. It was obvious to Daniel, no matter how much Jack tried to lead him astray, but he decided to say nothing further about it. If his friend wanted to talk about it, he would. More than likely, he would keep it to himself.

"Yeah, he's in the kitchen," Daniel replied.

"Okay, so let's get movin'."

If Jack was quieter than normal as they ate breakfast and then got ready, neither Daniel nor Teal'c commented upon it. Jack was grateful. He was managing to control those errant nerves of his and did not want anything to disturb that relative calm.

This was not what Daniel had expected, which had been some panic and bluster. The peace was a relief to him because he recalled worrying about keeping Jack under control. It seemed Jack was the one keeping him in check. But was that not often the way? The two men were very different characters, checking and balancing each other. It seemed to work okay - some of the time.

Time passes quickly. Sometimes too quickly. So quickly that when you think you have lots to spare, it bites you on the ass and you've suddenly run out of it. This was the way of things that morning. When the car arrived to pick them up, Jack was so taken aback he thought it must have got there way too early. Glancing at his watch, however, he realized it was punctual. Holy crap, it was time!

"To infinity and beyond!" he joked, making a Buzz Light-Year type gesture with his arm, and Daniel laughed. Even Teal'c grinned. Being such a movie buff, he got the reference.

Jack got up to lead the way out but as he passed Daniel, his best man touched his arm and caught his eye, a small reassuring smile on his lips.

"End of the yellow brick road, Jack?" he commented in a low voice.

"Sure," Jack agreed with a chuckle. "The Wizard's waiting."

They were ready for Jack and Sam's big day.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

As she started walking down the aisle, everyone's eyes turned toward her. Sam tried to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. Her brother felt her trembling and squeezed her arm supportively. She glanced at Mark and he smiled encouragingly, then she turned her attention back toward reaching her goal. It seemed an awfully long way away. Far further than she remembered from their rehearsal.

She could see Jack beaming at the other end, his smile as radiant as Sam had ever witnessed. He looked happy and unruffled. Sam hoped she looked equally serene because she knew Jack was as nervous as hell, probably just as much as she was. He had confessed this a few days ago and appeared to be hiding it very well indeed. She could not imagine his nerves had simply evaporated.


Now, Sam determinedly concentrated on walking those few steps to join him. Join him. How apt. At the rehearsal, the pastor had told them the wedding was a symbol of the couple joining together. That thought helped a little as she drew closer, trying not to look from side to side at the guests but to focus on reaching Jack.

They were about to become husband and wife. It was terrifying, while also thrilling. Sam knew it was too late to back out now. Not that she wanted to, but she was a little bit scared of failure. She wanted Jack so much, wanted to commit to him like she never had to anyone before, but what if she screwed up? A moment of panic set her heart racing faster, and then she remembered the pastor. Joining together. Always. Never alone. The Jack and Sam motto, right?

As she drew alongside the man she was about to marry, Sam resisted the temptation to finger her necklace - the beautiful trinium pendent Jack had given her and which bore their words of joining in alien script. In reality, they had joined together many years ago. Before the necklace, even before their first kiss. Neither of them had known it back then.

The pastor looked down at his prayer book as if he did not know the words by heart and started to speak. The ceremony had begun.

Taking her hand in his, Jack squeezed gently and Sam looked up at him with a warm and loving smile. He matched her smile with a heart stuttering grin, eyes shimmering with joy. They could feel each other shaking slightly as they touched and drew some reassurance from their mutual tension.

Sam thought he looked very handsome in his uniform. The Air Force blue, the shirt and tie, the plethora of medals and the stars on his shoulders were perfect for him - a fitting image of military discipline, authority and heroism for their wedding day. She knew he was not overly keen on wearing the full gear, preferred the casual to stiff formality, but Sam loved those dress blues on him. He looked totally edible, and she so enjoyed any opportunity she got to strip that uniform slowly away from his tall, lean frame.

Later. For now, she took a breath and tried to concentrate on the Pastor's words.

Jack knew it was a cliche but didn't give a rat's ass. Sam looked a million dollars, and was worth way more than that. Priceless. As soon as he took her hand in his, his edginess ceased and a soothing sense of harmony took hold. This was so the right thing. No doubts, no nervousness - just right.

He could see she had done something very different with her hair and looked forward to running his fingers through it, sensually removing her dress, her jewelry, her underwear. A long, languorous seduction of his bride. His wife - Mrs O'Neill! A thrilled tingle ran through him as he pictured what she might be wearing under that beautiful facade. Knowing Sam, it would be sensuous and sexy.

Later. For now, he took a breath and tried to concentrate on the Pastor's words.

And Jack never let her hand go, squeezing it as gentle support while Sam held on tight, quivering nervously and excitedly in his grasp. Even through their vows, even through the exchange of rings, even as they touched lips in their first kiss as Mr and Mrs O'Neill. He held on to her, giving her strength and receiving it throughout the entire service.

They had made it. Emerald City.