samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHORS NOTES: This started after a discussion on Samandjack about why Jack is willing to break every regulation except the frat one. I really wasn't expecting to turn this into a post-Meridian/Revelations fic, especially since I've yet to see it, but it just grew a mind of its own. So please bear in mind that this is based on spoilers only.

FEEDBACK: Yes Please! I love to know what you think.

DEDICATION: To my twin, Meaghan. You know why.

Copyright © Jez, July 2002.


Jack took a mouthful of his pie, looking at the three other people sitting at the table. Daniel was merrily munching away at something that looked suspiciously like chocolate cake, talking to Janet about their latest mission. Sam was eating her blue Jello, adding bits and pieces to Daniel's account when needed. It amazed him sometimes that these wonderful people were his friends. They were such an eclectic bunch but they all got on so well.

An idea struck him suddenly and he interrupted Daniel's rambling. "How about we go out tonight?" he suggested. "Dinner or something? It's been ages since we all just hung out. I know Teal'c's off visiting his kid, but the rest of us could make a night of it."

"I wish I could," Janet replied. "There are three teams due back tonight, so I have to be here. Sorry."

Daniel too was apologetic. "Sorry, Jack, I promised the General that I would finish up the translation on that template SG-5 brought back. Perhaps the two of you can go anyway. Someone may as well have a good time."

Jack's heart leaped into his throat and he knew he was looking a tad hopeful at her. Sam, on the other hand, was doing her best to avoid looking at him. "I'm not sure when I'll be finished in the lab," she eventually said. "Speaking of which, I better get back there. I'll see you guys later." She hurried from the commissary, knowing it would be obvious she was running away, but not being able to help herself. It was her natural instinct to run from anything personal these days.

Everyone looked down at their plates for a moment, as an awkward silence came over the table. It was broken by the scrape of a chair as Jack got to his feet. "If you'll excuse me, I've got some work to do." He turned and walked out of the commissary, an obvious slump to his shoulders.

Daniel sighed as he watched his friend's departing form. "I feel sorry for them sometimes. It must be hard when the only thing keeping you apart is a stupid rule written God knows how long ago."

Janet snorted, but said nothing.

"What?" he asked, his curious eyes boring into her.

"It's nothing, Daniel. Absolutely none of my business."

"But..." he probed, knowing she would tell him if he pushed.

She sighed. "Well it's a good excuse, isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

Janet put her glass down, turning her brown eyes to look at him. "Come on, Daniel, people break the Frat. regs all the time. I know of two cases in this very mountain. Now, you can't tell me that the same man who is willing to break every other rule in the book, won't cross that one."

"It might ruin the team dynamic," Daniel argued.

"Do you think so? Do you think that Colonel O'Neill will give Sam preferential treatment? There's no problem with her being promoted over either you or Teal'c because neither of you are military. Tell me, Daniel, how long do you think those two have had unprofessional feelings toward one another?"

Daniel shrugged. "A few years, I guess."

"Do you think their feelings are a hindrance?"

"Of course not. If anything, they're probably more a help."

She gave him a pointed look. "So, you think their actions or attitudes would change if they were physically involved then?"

"I didn't say that," Daniel was quick to point out. "I can see what you mean, but there is also Sam's career to consider. I know Jack doesn't really care about his own, but he cares about Sam's almost as much as she does. I don't think they'd do anything to jeopardize that."

"Maybe, maybe not. I just get the feeling that if the regulations were changed, they wouldn't jump into each other's arms. I really think they're more scared of each other than they are of breaking regs."

Daniel raised an eyebrow. "Has Sam said something to you?"

Janet grinned. "No, she hasn't. Frankly that says more to me than if we'd sat down and had a heart to heart about it. Every time I try to bring it up, she's very quick to change the subject." She sighed. "They'd really be good together, Daniel. They'd be good *for* each other. I just hope it doesn't take a tragedy for them to realize that."

*****

Sam pulled up in the drive and turned the car off. She looked at herself in the rearview mirror, grimacing at the red eyes and pale face that looked back at her. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. She looked like hell, felt like she was about to burst into tears again and was sure that she would regret this when her emotions were once again under control.

She squeezed her eyes shut and was just about to reach for the ignition when she felt a soft caress, like a breeze touching her face. "I need you, Daniel," she whispered, knowing it was him. "Please?"

She felt him touch her hand and she shuddered, letting the tears fall. "Please stay?"

She could tell the moment he left. She suddenly felt so alone in the small Volvo. She looked towards the inviting glow of the lights that lit the house in front of her, but shook her head and reached for the key in the ignition.

She wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when the key turned but the engine did not respond. For an instant she thought Daniel was trying to tell her something, but then shook that thought away. Whatever the reason, she was now left with two choices. She could call for a tow on her cell phone and sit in the cold car while she waited, or she could do what she'd gone there to do.

She was out of the car before she'd even realized she'd made a decision.

*****

To say he was surprised was an understatement. Jack wasn't sure who he was expecting when he opened the door, but it certainly wasn't his 2IC. He took a minute to scrutinize her and had to admit she looked like hell. Her eyes were swollen and bloodshot, her face pale and drawn. He felt a tinge of guilt at how he had rejected her when she'd gone to him to talk. He just hadn't been able to give her what she'd needed while they were on the Base. He'd been so caught up in hiding his own emotions, he'd had nothing left to give her.

He didn't say anything to her, just stood back and let her into the house. He closed the door behind her and turned to watch her as she made her way over to the fire, warming her hands in front of the flames.

"Can I get you a drink?" he asked, walking over and standing behind her.

She turned to face him, shaking her head but not saying anything.

He stood there for a moment longer, but couldn't stand the silence. "So, what can I do for you?" he asked casually.

His calm demeanor was her undoing. "Daniel's dead! Don't you care?!"

It was enough to break him. "Of course I care! He was my best friend and I loved him! God, do you really think I'm such a callous bastard?"

"Then why are you acting like this?"

Jack sighed. "Because I don't know how else to act. Everyone handles grief in their own way, Carter. This is my way." He sighed again, rubbing a hand over his face. "And I don't know how to help you without making it personal. You've made it quite clear you don't want that and I won't push you."

He watched as she turned from him, seeing the shake of her shoulders and knowing she was crying. "Carter?"

She turned back to him, her face grief-stricken. "I can't take this anymore. I need you and I know it's unprofessional and that I'm risking both our careers, but that doesn't change anything. I need you."

Jack's throat constricted at her teary confession. He didn't hesitate, just pulled her into his arms and allowed her to pour out all of her grief.

"I lost Daniel," she sobbed. "I can't lose you too."

"I'm here," he whispered, in a voice that was suspiciously thick. "I've got you."

"Don't let me go, Jack," she pleaded and felt him hold her tighter.

"I won't, I promise."

*****

Daniel watched as his friends comforted each other. If he'd been able to, he was sure he'd have a tear in his eye. He was glad that something good would come from his 'death'. Sam needed Jack and Jack needed her just as much. Why it had taken a tragedy to realize that, Daniel would never know, but he hoped that they embraced what they had and stopped wasting time. He was testimony to how quickly time could run out. He sighed, knowing it was time to go. He went through the front door, passing Sam's car. He smiled, wondering what she'd think when the car started first time in the morning. Chuckling, he went off to where he needed to be, vowing to return and ensure his friends were doing okay.

The End.