samandjack.net

Story Notes: Feedback: Praise will light my life, constructive criticism will light the dark, and flames will light my best friends’ squares.

Authors Notes: This was in my head when I woke up this morning, and wouldn’t leave.

Dedication: To Tom, with the hope that he doesn’t move.

Now on to the story.


I can’t believe I’m here today, how could she ask me to do this? It’s killing me to be here, yet I know that I wouldn’t be anywhere else. If nothing else, I AM her friend. I guess that’s why they made me best man. Dad’s walking her down the aisle right now. If I don’t really pay attention to my surroundings I can pretend she’s walking towards me. Hmm, I wonder if they’ll mind me still calling Jacob ‘Dad’? the ceremony seems to fly by, and I only hear the I do’s. Is it my imagination, or when she said ‘I do’ did she look at me for just a second, and was the catch really in her voice? It must be me, I’m grasping at straws here. One of these days I’m going to kill Daniel, I really am. If he hadn’t of brought Aaron to that barbecue, Sam never would have met him. Before I know it, it’s time to give my speech at the reception dinner. I hadn’t forgotten this part of the tradition, but somehow I always pictured Daniel giving the toast at Sam’s wedding. I stand up, and for the first time realize what a large crowd it really is. The bride’s side is mostly SGC personnel. I stand up and clear my throat. I can see the sympathetic looks from everyone who knew about my feelings. Then I begin to speak.

“Well, when I met Sam I never thought I’d be giving the best man’s toast at her wedding..” ain’t that the truth. I fell in love with Sam on first sight, and at the time I figured it would be Kawalsky up here saying how stupid Sam is for falling for an old guy like me. A new wave of pain hits my heart at that thought. “I guess it would be safe to say that we...well we just didn’t get along well at first. I had a problem with scientists and she had a problem with macho male CO’s.” This gains a few chuckles. “she told me I’d like her once I got to know her, and she was right. Now I can’t even imagine my life without her.” More smiles from the Groom’s side, and sets of downcast eyes from the SGC members. They realize what this is costing me. “One time an alien told me to always follow your heart, no matter what the consequences, because if you don’t you’ll regret it.” This earns me two sets of glaring eyes and laughs from everyone. The SGC members know I’m telling the truth, and everyone else thinks it’s a joke. General Hammond is glaring at me for my little slip about classified information, and I’m receiving a glare through Jacob’s eyes, that I just know is coming from Selmac because I didn’t follow her advice. “I know now that this is true. I once let the person I love go, but I’m glad Sam didn’t. She deserves to be happy. So, a toast to Keeping your dreams alive, and to being happy, may no one ever stand in your way.” I say and as I sit down, I can feel all the sympathetic looks from those around me. We had the customary first dance of the bride and groom, and then the dance I forgot about. The bride and the best man, and the groom and the maid of honor. Funny, once again I always thought it would be Daniel here dancing with Sam, and me there dancing with Janet-not Aaron. “Jack, I want you to know that I did let the person I love go.”

“It doesn’t seem like it.” I say.

“Jack, a relationship between us would have been futile. It never would have worked out, you know that right.”

“Maybe it would have, maybe it wouldn’t have, but even if it didn’t wouldn’t it be worth it to have had the true love of your life, even if it was just for a little while?” I ask her, and even to my own ears it sounds like I’m pleading with her to agree, to tell me that this hasn’t happened yet, that we still have a chance.

“Yeah, it would have been, but now we only have this song. It was forbidden by regulations, and we would have eventually been torn apart. Just be with me right now, it’s all I can ever have.” I can see the fear in her eyes, the fear that I will say no to this simple request. As if I could. I could be really cruel to her, and tell her what General Hammond told me before the wedding. He told me that I should have listened to Selmac. She had cleared it with him before she told me. Selmac told the president that if the frat reg wasn’t bent for certain officers the Tok’ra would no longer be allies with the Tau’ri. It was a bluff, but the president fell for it. We wouldn’t have been torn apart, but I can’t tell her that. I think General Hammond only told me so I would stop the wedding. It’s now that I realize what a coward I am, I was so worried that Sam would reject me that I just lost her forever. Sam sinks deeper into my arms, and we’re barely swaying. To anyone on the groom’s side this will look very strange, but everyone on Sam’s side sees this for what it is. This is our day in the sun, this is our goodbye, and all because I’m a complete coward. I realize just how perfect Sam fits into my arms, almost as if we were made for this fit, and maybe we were. I’ve realized this too late, however, and the song ends all to soon. It’s time for me to let Sam go, for us both to move on, but as I go and dance with Janet I realize that I never will. I can’t. It may be time to love another, but I can’t, not when the woman I love keeps sending me that look of longing over her new husband’s shoulder. Aaron may have her for this life, but I know my time will come.

THE END



End Notes: Does anyone want a sequel?