samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: x-philes@worldnet.att.net

Spoilers: none specific

Season/sequel: Season 3

Rating: pg

Archive: Yes, S/J and Heliopolis

Author's Notes: My response to the challenge, I hope you enjoy this.


Is That A Tear by John Jarrard, Kenny Beard


The last thing I expected was to get her call tonight
'Cause the last thing that I'd heard from her
Was she'd found Mr. Right
But when I came home this evenin'
There it was on my machine
Now I'm just wonderin' what the hell it means

Said she's sorry that she missed me
And she's been doin' just fine
I've run it back and heard her say
Those words a hundred times
But somethin' makes me wonder
Is she happy with her choice
Or is that a tear I hear in her voice

The first time that I listened
I thought boy she's got some nerve
But the second time I heard it
I heard more than just her words
Am I just wishful thinkin'
Or did her voice really crack
I'll never know if I don't call her back.

Said she's sorry that she missed me
And she's been doin' just fine
I've run it back and heard her say
Those words a hundred times
But somethin' makes me wonder
Is she happy with her choice
Or is that a tear I hear in her voice

Oh is that a tear
Lord is that a tear I hear in her voice



***********************************



Jack dropped his keys almost violently on the foyer table, and cursed his stupidity. He had believed she would talk to him, that perhaps she still cared, but her avoidance everyday should have told him how she felt. He couldn't believe it would end this way.

It had all started a few months ago when Janet had set Sam up on a date, with mister perfect. Jack had suddenly realized that time might be fleeting, and so he had tried to talk. So why had he baited her instead? She had been so close to calling it quits with Joe, err Bob, err, well whoever, but he had baited her, and drove her right into another mans arms. Now he hardly ever saw her, except for missions, and even then she kept Daniel or Teal'c between them, so he couldn't talk to her. He had gone by her place tonight, to check on her, as Janet had reported her out sick for a few days. That was so unlike Sam that he found himself needing to see her, but she had'nt come to the door. To bad the lights burning from within had told him she was home.

Jack muttered to himself as he checked his answering machine, surprised to hear Sam's voice on the one and only message.

"Hi Sir, Sorry I missed you earlier. I was ahh.....in the bathroom, and I saw you pull away as I got to the door. I guess you were checking up since I had been out, but I'm ..o..kay! Bill was here earlier, he ....well he thinks I should take some time away. I haven't decided yet, but I really am okay. He ..ah ... worry's too much. No problem. I'll talk to you later sir."

Jack rewound the message to listen again, unwilling to believe she might be considering leaving for this man. The second listen though caused him to hear more than her words, the second listen let him hear the catch in her voice. The third listen finally let him hear the tears. Something was wrong, something she was trying to hide, and he had to be sure she was alright. Jack picked up the phone before realizing it would never be enough, he had to see her.



**********************



Jack had been knocking at the door for 20 minutes before it finally swung open. Sam stood slightly sideways in the door, her robe pulled up tightly to her face.

"You shouldn't have come, you can't stay," she said a little breathlessly.

"Why not Sam, what's wrong," he asked reaching out to turn her to face him, surprised when she shrunk from his grasp.

"Bill will be here soon, he.....," Sam cut her words off before she could finish the sentence.

"Sam, please, I know something is wrong, you called me for help so let me help."

"I didn't say anything about help."

"You didn't have to, I heard the tears, you knew I would."

Sam turned to face him in her surprise over his words, finally allowing him to see the bruises that covered her face. "I didn't realize, " she muttered softly.

"God Sam, who did this," Jack barked, anger lacing his words and causing Sam to back away. "It was Bill wasn't it."

Sam nodded silently as Jack wrapped her in his arms, it had been so long since he'd held her."Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was, I am confused, I shouldn't have let it happen."

"It isn't you're fault, we just have to see that it doesn't happen again. Let's get out of here, we'll let Janet check your face, and then we'll get your things later. If you want we can let the police, or better yet, Teal'c handle Bill."

"The police I think, really sir, how did you know. Janet didn't guess when I told her I wasn't well."

"Like I said, I heard the tears in your voice, and deep down I think you knew I would."

"Thank you Jack,"she said softly, his first name nearly foreign to her after so many months.

"I'm just glad I heard them Sam, because I don't want to think about what would have happened if I hadn't."

"We don't have to Jack, because you did hear."



****



Oh is that a tear
Lord is that a tear I hear in her voice



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback is always appreciated. *G* Wendy G.

"Is that a money-back if your not completely alive guarantee?"- Jack "pretense"