samandjack.net

Story Notes: ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, anyone else please ask

SPOILERS: None

SEQUEL: Get a Life

NOTES: This is for Helen...she knows why :):)


"Janet....he's really starting to scare me."

"Colonel O'Neill?"

"It's like he's obsessed."

"Sam......"

"I told him last week that there was no way that I would go fishing with him...and look what I found on my desk this morning."

Sam handed Janet the envelope, waiting nervously while her friend looked inside.

"Two tickets to Maui?" Janet questioned.

"If he expects me to go with him then...."

"Why don't you?"

"What?"

"Go with him."

Janet had quite clearly gone mad overnight. There was no way that Sam was going to risk a vacation with her commanding officer. This whole obsession was getting out of hand. O'Neill knew the reasons why she had wanted to 'leave it in the room', but he was refusing to accept them. It wasn't like she was going to change her mind, suddenly resign from the SGC and seduce him on the briefing room table.

"You know I can't," Sam went on.

"So tell me, is it the Colonel you don't trust...or yourself?" Janet asked.

"What?"

"I mean are you afraid that you'll get out there, take one look at the Colonel in his black Speedo and jump him."

"No."

Sam felt herself blush....how the hell did Janet find out about the Speedo fantasy?

"I'm scared he's not going to give me a choice," she admitted.

"Sam? Surely you don't think that Colonel O'Neill would ever try to force anything?"

"Not really."

"Then what is it?"

"Just something he said....I told him that he was the one who needed to get a life.....and then he said that I was his life. I was walking away from him when he said it, so maybe he thought I wouldn't hear."

"What's wrong with that? Sounds kind of sweet. I wish some guy would say it to me."

But the Colonel wasn't just some guy. Sam didn't know how she could explain. It wasn't just the words.

"Do you remember Captain Hanson?" she asked

"Umm...psycho ex-fiancé from hell?"

"That's the one. He excelled at using this kind of emotional blackmail."

"Sam!"

"That's what the Colonel is doing to me. It's this whole 'I can't live without you thing' and I'm not going there, not again."

"There is no way that you can compare Colonel O'Neill to Jonas Hanson."

"Really? Special Ops., personal tragedy....I've heard it all before Janet."

"Just because you overheard him say something you weren't suppose to hear? Colonel O'Neill likes you, he cares about you and I think you should stop thinking that his motives are sinister. He's acting like a teenage boy with a crush, nothing more. Go on vacation with him. The two of you will probably get out there, find you have nothing to talk about and realise that you're better off as friends."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now go see him."

Sam left the infirmary more confused than ever. Janet's advice hadn't been what she expected, but maybe she was right. After all, it wasn't like she and the Colonel had that much in common. They'd probably get bored with each others company inside a couple of hours. Of course the times they'd been trapped on other planets didn't really count. On those occasions they had still been very much in the military mode. Exploring, setting watches....the whole nine yards. This would be completely different.

Having made her decision, Sam went to find her commanding officer. As she expected he was in his office, playing with his yo-yo, when he should have been doing paperwork.

"Carter?" he acknowledged, trying out a fancy trick which didn't quite work.

It was all Sam could do to keep from laughing. Janet's teenage boy analogy was proving accurate. O'Neill was clearly trying to impress her with his prowess with a yo-yo.

"Sir, about these tickets...." she began.

His face fell, she could tell he was stealing himself for another rejection.

"Well, the truth is, sir....I'd like to go."

"You would?"

"Yes, sir.....I'll go with you."

"With me?"

"Sir?"

"OK.....but just a warning....I'm not wearing a Speedo...not even for you."

Sam had to turn away as she felt her face burn.....did everyone think that she had a Speedo obsession? Luckily, O'Neill didn't seem to notice.

"This is going to be so cool. I'll clear the leave with Hammond and then meet you topside."

"General Hammond?"

"Sure....don't want to be caught sneaking off to Maui behind his back. Would look like we had something to hide."

"Oh.....Right. Um....I'll see you later then."

"And Sam. Thanks for asking me."

"What do you mean?"

"I kind of thought you'd go with Janet."

"She was busy."

Feeling a little happier Sam disappeared to shut down her lab. She'd never even imagined that she had a choice in the matter. Maybe this would all work out a little better than she expected.



***



Tickets, ATM card, credit card, underwear, swimsuit, bikini....What the hell had she put that in for? Better take it out again....But what if she met someone? OK the bikini stayed. She would just have to make sure Colonel O'Neill was nowhere around when she wore it. No point in encouraging him..or giving him a heart attack....Some chance.

They'd made a deal. just because they were going on vacation together, didn't mean they were together.... together. She was free to do what she wanted, just as he was. If she didn't want him around, he'd make sure he stayed out of her way. It was a good compromise and one she intended to uphold.

Now what else did she need? Thankfully she'd had her legs waxed last week. Hmm...A couple of dresses, T-shirts....sarong....she wasn't going to wear that bikini without some form of cover up. Sam looked at her bulging case wondering if her stuff had suddenly swelled. Sighing to herself she transferred some of it to another bag. She was only going for a week, but it wasn't like there was anything here she could possibly leave behind. This wasn't going to be the type of vacation where she would live out of the contents of one backpack. Wearing the same outfit for more than one day was out of the question.

"Hey, Carter, you done yet?" Colonel O'Neill's voice sounded from the living room. He was clearly getting impatient.

"Just a few mass/volume calculations to make, sir," Sam shouted back.

"What?"

"My stuff won't fit into my case."

"Then bring another one, but if you pack it, you get to carry it."

"Yes, sir."

She moved from the bedroom and into the bathroom. Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, soap, shampoo, makeup.... condoms..... Not out of date yet, surprisingly. No, she probably wasn't going to use them....Again the nagging thought that she might meet someone....so she tossed them into her wash bag.

That was it. She couldn't possibly take anything else....not without breaking out the really heavy duty luggage.

"Got enough?" the Colonel asked as she finally emerged.

"Woman's prerogative," she returned.

Naturally, O'Neill had one small bag....which probably just contained a change of underwear. He'd already managed to cultivate a healthy layer of stubble, despite the fact they'd only been away from the base for twelve hours.

"C'mon or we'll miss the 'plane," he grumbled.

"No, we won't."

Just to annoy him, Sam paused by the mirror and touched up her make-up.

Despite his earlier protests, he did take one of her bags. Sam didn't object, after all this was supposed to be her vacation. She also let him drive to the airport. A couple of drinks on the 'plane and she was finally starting to relax. It was frustrating but Colonel O'Neill had been right. She did need this time away from work. If nothing else it was nice to get out of those damn fatigues....even into jeans and a shirt. Sam looked across at O'Neill.

"Having fun yet," He grinned at her.

"I was just thinking about calibrating the Naquedah....," she replied.

"Ahhhh! No!"

"What?"

"You know what."

Then she smiled at him, letting him know that she was only teasing.

"So what were you thinking about?" he asked.

"How nice this was."

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

"Good."



***



The hotel was everything she wanted. Private beach, pool, a good restaurant and room service. O'Neill had certainly done his homework. As she relaxed by the poolside, with her first Margarita, Sam wondered if life could possibly get any better.....then her eyes fell on the man who was approaching her.

How could the Colonel look so damn sexy in a faded T-shirt and baggy shorts? Every other man by the pool was wearing swim shorts at the most, but not O'Neill. And he wasn't going unnoticed either. He was receiving appreciative looks from several young women in very small bikinis. Sam was surprised to see him treat a couple of them to that slow sexy smile of his. She though he only smiled like that when he wanted something from her....obviously not....unless he was trying to make her jealous. Well, it wasn't going to work. She thought about ignoring him completely, but that was a little difficult to do when he came and sat next to her.

"Looking good, Carter," he said.

"You too, sir."

She was unashamedly pleased by the appreciation in his eyes, the way his gaze lingered on her legs.

"But you know, all that pale skin....think you could use a little sun cream?"

Sam hesitated. On the one hand, the thought of the Colonel rubbing cream into her back was a very pleasant one, on the other.....



***



"You met someone, didn't you?"

Sam felt herself flush at Janet's accusation.

"What makes you say that?" she answered.

"Just looking at you. I'm sorry Sam, but you can't hide it.....that and the fact Colonel O'Neill reported for duty three hours ago in the worst mood I've ever seen."

"Oh, really?"

The first twinges of guilt percolated their way through Sam's mind. Was the Colonel really that upset? He'd seemed perfectly fine when she'd last seen him.

"So, who is he and what does he look like? I want all the gory details!" Janet pushed.

"Maybe later, I think I should go and see the Colonel."

"Sam....leave him. He's going to have to get used to the idea sooner or later."

"Yes, but...."

"I want to hear more about this mystery man."

Sam sighed, there was no way that Janet was going to ease up. Even so, she couldn't help worrying about O'Neill. He'd assured her that everything was OK.....but it obviously wasn't.

"SAM....!"

"Not much to say really."

"There has to be, if he put that smile on your face."

"OK! I met someone!"

"How did you meet?"

"By the pool on the first day. He bought me a Margarita and the rest is history."

"Where did you go? What did you do?"

"Janet!"

"Just interested.....and jealous."

Knowing that she wasn't going to be allowed to leave without giving Janet a full rundown of her holiday, Sam complied. She described long walks on the beach, dinners, hiking in the mountains, diving, horseback riding......

"Sounds perfect," Janet sighed.

"It was."

"Everything?"

"Everything."

"Are you going to see him again?"

"I hope so."

"See I told you everything would turn out OK."

"Yeah, you did."

If that was the case why did Sam have this nagging doubt about the Colonel.



***



Despite Janet's advice, Sam knew she had to speak to O'Neill. She couldn't stand the thought that he might be unhappy. She searched for him on the base, but he seemed to have vanished. Walking about the corridors, she was getting a large number of dirty looks from the rest of the personnel. Did news really travel that fast? She'd only told Janet......unless the Colonel had said something...but he wouldn't.....would he?

This was why she never took vacations. The gossip when she got back was just too much to handle. Although, why anyone was interested, she couldn't fathom. Didn't anyone around here have anything better to do? Whatever, she couldn't find O'Neill. Checking with the gatehouse, she found that he'd left a couple of hours ago. Now she really was worried. The Colonel never went home this early....assuming he had gone home. When her own shift had finished, Sam found herself turning her car towards the Colonel's area of town.

Pulling into his drive, she saw him standing outside the garage, beer in hand, staring at his precious jeep. He appeared fairly calm....resigned..... Taking her courage in both hands, Sam got out of her car and joined him.

"Sir?" she questioned.

"Would you look at that?" he replied, gesturing towards the jeep.

There was a huge dent in the side.

"Some jerk drove into me at the intersection! It'll never be the same..." he moaned.

"This is why you hid in your office all day, and then went home early...your car?"

"Er....yeah...why?"

"I thought....never mind."

"Never mind what?"

"It's dumb..."

"Carter you could never be dumb....now what is it?"

"I thought you were mad at me."

"Mad at you...?"

"Because of what happened."

"Carter, I took you to Maui to have a good time."

"And I did."

"So there's no problem, OK?"

"OK."

"Want a beer?"

"Sure."

O'Neill stroked his car one more time before leading Sam into the house. Once inside she wasn't sure quite what she should do...make herself comfortable or follow O'Neill into the kitchen.

"Take a seat," he told her with a smile. "I got you a present."

"You did?" she asked.

"Yeah...hang on a second, it's here somewhere."

He started rummaging in cupboards, eventually coming up with a small gift-wrapped package. However, before he could hand it to her, the phone rang. Flashing her an apologetic smile, O'Neill answered the call,

"O'Neill....Hello, Daniel. Yes....no....no....Sam's here.....What?....I don't know......No, I don't want to talk now. What the hell are you talking about? After she's finished? .....I think I'll go to sleep. What? Why? Sure, Danny, if I suddenly have the urge, you'll be the first one I call. Right...yeah...bye Daniel.....Well, that was weird."

"What?" Sam asked.

"Daniel."

"Oh......my gift?"

"Oh yeah....here. I think you'll find it useful."

Sam opened the parcel.....and then blushed furiously. O'Neill grinned at her.

"We used all of yours," he explained.

"Jack!"

He pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her, "So tell me...am I more fun than a Naquedah reactor?"

"I'll let you know in the morning," Sam smiled.



THE END