samandjack.net



Title: Ivory.

Author: Neferlue

Rating: G

Season: Doesn’t really matter

Spoilers: None

Genre: General, Fluff, Songfic

Summary: Jack finds out something interesting about Carter he didn’t know. Established relationship.

Author’s Note: I needed a break from Elvenpath, every time I start a new chapter, I can’t stop until it’s done and each chapter takes me 4 hours +. So I decided to write a songfic. Helen Trevillion is one of my favourite artists, so I decided on one of her songs.

Disclaimer: I own nothing, TPTB do. Helen Trevillion is the owner of her work, and I do recommend looking her up, her music is amazing. She’s an independent artist from the UK, and I believe in supporting her as all her work is composed and recorded in her bedroom, yet still sounds amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack O’Neill pulled up outside Sam Carter’s house, with a 6 pack of beer. He was bored, and he figured Carter might be free. He stepped up to her door, and heard the sounds of a piano. Raising his hand, he knocked on her door. No response. He tried again. Still no response.

Shrugging his shoulders, he tried the door. It was unlocked, so he opened it, and walked in.

He was greeted by a sight he thought he would never see. Carter was sitting at a keyboard, a damn good one by the sound of it, and was playing. She didn’t seem to see him standing in her lounge, and started another piece. To his amazement, she started to sing along with it.

Softly, softly, fingers seeking
Keys within a shifting sea
Somewhere they will never find me
A secret wrapped in ivory


He was stunned at her voice. He never knew she could sing.

And I am white and black and moving
Inside, outside, in-between
Beauty found when no one's listening
All this meant for only me


He found himself getting caught up in the song. It had a beautiful piano accompaniment, and her voice hit each note perfectly within its key. Still in awe, he kept listening.

Here where I am loved
Here where I am needed
Here where I am beautiful

And I am every sound and silence
A secret born in ivory
Somewhere they will never find me
Somewhere they will never see


Jack realised he was holding his breath. Slowly letting it out, he kept watching her, the way her fingers danced over the keys, marvelling at the beauty her voice and hands were producing.

Here where I am loved
Here where I am needed
Here where I am beautiful

I am stillness forged in motion
Courage carved in ivory


She finished the song, and suddenly realising she wasn’t alone, turned. “Sir.”

“That was beautiful, Carter. I never knew you played.”

Blushing, she lowered her face. “You know, music and maths are part of the same thing. I learnt that song from listening to it.”
“What’s it about?”
“What’s black and white, inside, outside, and produces stillness through motion?”

He looked at her blankly.

She sighed. “A piano.”

“What’s it called?”
“’Ivory’. It’s by a woman called Helen Trevillion.”
“He chuckled at the name. “Appropriate.”

“So, why are you here, Jack? And how did you get in?”
“I knocked twice, and your door was unlocked. I thought maybe we could have a beer or two and chat.”
“That sounds good. I got this out because I wanted a break from work. I play to clear my head when I don’t want equations running through it. Intervals, notes, keys, they all merge into one thing and I find it relaxing.”
“Well, you get this beer on one condition: I want to hear more.”

Blushing again, she smiled. “If that’s what you want, Jack.”

“I do want it. It’s a side of you I’ve never seen. And I want more.”

Looking into his eyes, she saw that his words held a deeper meaning he couldn’t voice. And she smiled again. “Sure.”

And turning back to her keyboard, she started another song.

Hold tight
I'm spinning, colliding
There's no ground
Yeah I'm already flying
Reckless girl...
I'm feeling the calm before
Some sweet storm

Hold tight
Cos we're spinning, colliding
You and I
We're like thunder and lightning
And maybe I'm a reckless girl
Tingling in the calm before
this sweet storm -
I hope it's a good one!

Yeah Yeah!
We're spinning, colliding!
Yeah Yeah!
We're spinning, colliding!
Yeah Yeah!
We're thunder and lightning!
Yeah Yeah!
You and I

You and I

Reckless girl -
Spinning, colliding
Every time you come near me

I hope it's a good one
I just hope it's a good one


Jack swallowed, wondering if it was an invitation. Her arch look confirmed it. “How about we move elsewhere?” She asked him.
“Like?”
“Elsewhere. Not this room.” And she took him by the hand and led him out of the room, to her bedroom. And all he could think of was thunder and lightning. Because that was them. Opposites that attracted and complemented each other. And he was glad he was here.



Please visit my sci-fi, fantasy and anime forum: http://the-phoenix-lair.lefora.com/



End Notes: The two songs featured are "Ivory" first, then "Colliding" both by Helen Trevillion. Both are piano based songs. Please review, and please, look up Helen's work!