samandjack.net

Story Notes: Word Count: 1629
Warnings: alcohol, probable cliché, and passing references to classic holiday movies
Timeline: In my head I had this set during the 4th season, but it can basically be placed any time after "Divide and Conquer" and before "Heroes."


“Carter, don't you ever get tired of playing with all of your doohickies?”

Sam's head shot up and she whirled around on her stool to find her CO leaning in the doorway to her lab. “Sir!” He looked relaxed, and he was holding a red plastic cup casually in one hand. A faint blush tinged her cheeks pink. “How long have you been standing there?”

“Long enough to know you can't possibly be having as much fun here as you would at the Christmas party downstairs.” He used his shoulder to push away from the doorjamb and slowly sauntered into the room to stand across the workstation table, facing her. “Come on, Carter. It's Christmas! Doc Fraiser had just started singing carols with Daniel when I left, and I have a sneaking suspicion that someone spiked the eggnog.” He swirled the red cup in his hand, giving her all too innocent smile before taking a drink. “I can make it an order, ya know.”

“I'm almost done!” Sam protested, even as she stood to her feet and allowed herself to be ushered from the lab. “And I was planning on coming to the party. I was on my way down there when I had an idea, and I wanted to test something. My lab was on the way.”

“It'll wait until tomorrow.” He handed her his cup of eggnog as he pushed the down button for the elevator. “Here, have a drink. It's pretty good stuff.”

She took a sip, raising an eyebrow at him. “Sir, you wouldn't be the person who spiked the eggnog, would you?”

“Me?” He questioned, looking straight ahead as the elevator doors opened before them. “Would I do a thing like that, Carter? My money's on Teal'c. He's been acting suspicious all night, raising his eyebrows at everyone and standing there all silent-like.”

Sam's lips curled up in a smile and as she entered the elevator and pushed the button for the correct floor. She cut her eyes over at Jack, chuckling when she saw the boyish grin on his face. She forced the smile from her face and said in a reprimanding tone, “You do know that if you get caught, you could get into big trouble with General Hammond.”

“But who's going to tell him? Certainly not my loyal second-in-command. Besides, he was enjoying it. I could tell.”

She shook her head with a “he's hopeless” expression on her face. In comfortable silence they watched the elevator panel slowly registering their descent. Five floors from their destination there was a loud grinding noise, and the elevator jerked to a sudden stop.

“Whoa!” Jack exclaimed, bracing himself against the wall and watching as Sam did the same. “You okay, Carter?”

“Yes, Sir.” She nodded as the lights flickered on and off momentarily. “You?”

“Yeah.” He stepped forward, pressing the emergency button and lifting the telephone. “Hello? This is Colonel Jack O'Neill. I'm here with Major Samantha Carter. The elevator's broken! Hello? What's the problem?”

“Sir, I don't think it's any use. Everyone is at the party. I'm sure someone will notice that you're missing any minute now and come looking.” Carter took the phone from his hand, placing it back in the cradle. She handed him his red cup with a cheeky smile, “Here, have some eggnog. I only spilled a little, and I'm sure it'll make you feel better. We'll be out of here in no time.”

****

One hour later

“Carter, for cryin' out loud! Will you give it a rest?” Jack was sitting on the floor of the elevator, his back to the wall, watching his 2IC attempt to do God-knows-what. She had long ago kicked off her strappy black heels as she crouched in front of the elevator's control panel. She had removed the entire metal faceplate and had been messing with the raw wiring for over 30 minutes with nothing gained except several mild electrocutions.

He had been enjoying the rear view of Carter in her evening wear, but it was beginning to get a little ridiculous. If he was going to be stuck in an elevator with her, at least he'd like to see her face for a while. “Come on, your hair's looking a little static-y already. I don't think it could take any more hits.”

“Yes, Sir.” Sam complied with a sigh. She situated herself on the opposite wall of the elevator, with her legs straight ahead of her and crossed at the ankles. She tugged down the hem of her dress, thankful that she had chosen a longer one that touched the bottom of her kneecaps. She smiled when he stretched his legs out to mirror her and his right leg rested lightly against the side of hers.

“So... that's some bad weather we've been having. I don't think we've seen this much snow in years. It makes you thankful for those warm, tropical planet explorations, doesn't it?”

“The weather?” Sam asked with a laugh. “Can't we find something better to talk about?”

“Well, I didn't think you'd want to talk about the latest episode of the Simpsons,” Jack quipped. “So do you and Jacob have any plans?”

“No,” she answered with a shake of her head, “He and Selmak are on an undercover mission with for the Tok'ra. What about you, Sir?”

“Aw, you know. The usual,” he replied, shrugging his shoulders. “Beer. Pizza. Daniel has plans, but I think Teal'c wants me to watch Star Wars with him. Personally, I want to watch It's A Wonderful Life.” He thumped his chest, just above his heart. “That one always gets me, right here. You up for a Christmas chick flick, Carter? You're welcome to come hang out with us.”

“I had you pegged for a Chevy Chase kind of guy.” Sam restrained a laugh at the thought of her commanding officer getting choked up during Christmas movies. “Loud, obnoxious family members; mildly crude, suggestive dialog; an overdose of decorations; and a holiday kidnapping. It sounds right up your alley.”

“We could always watch both and have a regular Christmas marathon. Whadaya say?”

She hesitated for a moment, weighing her responsibilities as an soldier with her desires as a woman and a friend. “We probably shouldn't, Sir... It wouldn't be appropriate.”

“Not appropriate for two friends to spend Christmas together?” Jack questioned, even as not long-ago spoken words echoed in his head and feeling stirred in his heart. I care about her... a lot more than I'm supposed to. “We hang out all of the time. Why does Christmas have to be any different? Besides, Teal'c will be there.” He stuck out his lip in a pout and drew her attention to the face by pointing to it. “How can you say no to this?”

A slow smile spread across Sam's face, crinkling the corners of her eyes. “You make it very difficult.”

“Great! Then it's a platonic, completely appropriate, non-date.” Jack's voice betrayed him. The words sounded chipper on the surface, but they were filled with a longing that neither could express and both understood all to well.

“Sir... Jack.” She locked eyes with him, and in a few moments their unspoken communication portrayed more than words ever could. Remorse. Longing. Desire. Frustration at the present. Hope for the future. Most of all, love.

“I know, Sam. I know.” He leaned forward and handed her the cup of eggnog, mirroring her earlier words with a smirk. “Have a drink. I'm sure it'll make you feel better. We'll be out of here in no time.” He paused a moment before adding, in all seriousness, “Merry Christmas, Carter. I can't think of anyone I'd rather be stuck in an elevator with.”

She grinned, playfully nudging his leg with hers. What they had was far from perfect, but it would do for now. “Likewise. Merry Christmas, Sir.”