samandjack.net



She had barely slept all night long and after a painful breakfast with Sasha and Daniella, Sam was walking through the base feeling as if she should be in a zombie horror movie. It was not often that she wore much make-up, but upon seeing the giant bags under her eyes whilst she was dressing at home, Sam had tried to cover them with foundation. She hoped that nobody would notice her tired appearance or that if they did they would believe her excuse of not wanting to leave Daniella. If she were to tell the truth in her current mood Sam would probably prefer to stay at home. She did not exactly relish the idea of spending a few days off-world almost alone with Jack. Knowing him as she did, Sam was sure that he would pair her with Daniel for any reconnaissance and therefore avoid being anywhere near her. She could hardly blame him because even now she still wanted to continue their discussion. She was struggling to get into her work mind-set, her military brain, but she knew that she would get there. As she neared the changing rooms, someone called her name and on turning Sam saw Janet Fraiser standing a few feet away.

"Morning Janet," she greeted.

"How are you feeling?" Janet asked.

"Okay, why?" Sam asked in confusion.

"You do look a bit off colour," Janet answered and Sam smiled slightly at her friend's bluntness. If only she were not about to leave on a mission, Sam thought, she could do with a long chat with Janet. "I knew you wouldn't stay away from the base and rest though."

"I'm sorry? Janet, I'm about to ship out to P6X with SG-1."

"They've already gone," Janet answered as realisation dawned on both of them. "Colonel O'Neill told the general that you weren't feeling well so he rescheduled the departure and team."

"The team?" Sam questioned but she knew what the answer was going to be.

"Carpenter went with them." Sam could tell by the look on her friend's face that they both knew they had been lied to.

"When did Jack do this?" Sam asked not caring that she was in the SGC and had referred to her commanding officer by his first name.

"Last night. I was asked to come in early today for the pre-mission medicals. The colonel did seem a bit quieter than normal."

"I'll bet he did," Sam murmured.

"Sam, what's going on?" Janet asked.

Sam was barely paying any attention. "Thinks he can screw me over, does he?" she asked, turning away from Janet and heading towards to the control room. "Thinks he can just kick me and his daughter out, does he?" Sam continued to herself. "Or maybe he'll try and keep my daughter." She growled in annoyance. "Thinks he can mess around with my career!" When Sam entered the control room, the only technician present was Walter Harriman. She composed herself and turned to him. "Morning."

"Good morning, Major Carter," he responded. "I thought you were ill."

"I made a very quick recovery," she explained. "General Hammond has requested that because I am back to full health, that I join SG-1." She did not pause to allow him to argue as she started dialling up the planet the rest of SG-1 had 'gated to recently. "You know, because of the Naquadah. I mean, it's not really any of their specialities is it? Especially with what the M.A.L.P readings indicated. It's possible that there's Naquadria on P6X, so the general really thinks it would be best if I join them and that further scientists may need to join later depending on the results." Sam paused as the sixth chevron locked and she turned directly to Walter to ensure his attention. "In fact, could you alert some of the other scientists who might be needed, prep them kind of? You know Bill, perhaps Felger, too."

"Yes, Ma'am.”

She started to walk away towards the ‘gate room. "Thank you, Walter." She did not look back as she walked the short distance into the 'gate room, but she did pause to collect a side-arm from an arms locker. Due to the Naquadah present on the planet, there was always a chance of Goa'uld presence. By the time she was walking up the ramp General Hammond had made it into the control room, presumably to find out why the Stargate had been activated.

"Major Carter, what are you doing?" General Hammond ordered and Sam was vaguely aware of Janet calling her name as well as she let the wormhole wash over her.

SG – SG – SG