samandjack.net



 

Carter-O'Neill Residence
Colorado Springs, Colorado

William realized he was actually holding his breath as O'Neill took a little run and jumped onto the plastic sheet, sliding over his bare chest and nearly going all the way to the speed bump Sam had placed there. A loud whooping sounded from the children when he got up, soaked with water and soap and wearing a huge grin.

"These people are insane," Eleanor muttered at his side. "I cannot believe a man his age would do such a thing!"

As he was watching O'Neill dash over the yard with the sprinkler system spraying water over him while Sam threw a couple of water balloons at him - hitting him twice - before diving into the jello pool, William had to admit it actually looked tempting to join in the fun and just forget about his job, finances and everything else and just be a mischievous boy again. He was shocked to realize he was actually a bit envious of this little family, who clearly weren't as well off as his own but they more than made up for it by the way they treated and interacted with each other.

When he'd been in the kitchen, filling the water balloons he'd witnessed the tender embrace between the adult O'Neills through the window and he couldn't help but wonder what their secret to happiness was. Glancing at his wife he thought back to when they'd first met and how hard he'd worked to get her attention, wining and dining her until both their fathers had urged them to get married and he'd proposed... He was happy with everything he had accomplished in his life through hard work but at the same time he also realized he didn't have the kind of bond O'Neill had with his wife and daughter with his own family.

"Come on, son!" William got caught up in the children's enthusiasm when it was Billy's turn, glad to see the kid smiling at his encouragement.

"William please, don't encourage these people."

He rolled his eyes before looking at his wife. "They're just making sure the children are having fun. Look at Billy; he's never shown a hint of interest at sports nor is he an adventurous child, yet now he's gladly taking part in these activities." He paused and thought for a minute. "I'm willing to bet this whole day costs a fraction of the party you organized for Billy's birthday and he's having more fun now. Even the expensive gifts he received didn't make him smile like this."

"Look Mom, Dad!" Billy shouted as he hit the plastic and slid over it. He quickly got up and zigzagged through the sprinklers, getting hit with a water balloon that looked like it was filled with gelatin rather than actual water before he reached the pool and jumped in. His red hair was sticking to his forehead and blobs of jello were hanging from his expensive swimming shorts as he got out. "Awesome!"

William watched as the other children and O'Neill took turns on the circuit, all of them covered in a mixture of water, soap and jello and not caring one bit. Some of the gelatin had even found its way onto the sheet of plastic but no one seemed bothered by it. As a matter of fact, he thought it might even improve their sliding as it lessened the friction. There were also blobs of jello on the grass, from the small pool and the balloons Sam was wielding expertly.

"I'm all out of balloons!" Sam suddenly announced, getting up and holding up the two empty buckets for O'Neill to see.

"Then it's time for you to join in the fun," O'Neill replied, going towards her.

She shook her head. "No, Jack... no, I mean it. No," she cried, suddenly dashing away when he tried to grab her.

To William the only thing that made them stand out from the group of children was their height as O'Neill chased her down the yard, Sam laughing and the children cheering them on. He didn't think he'd ever seen two adults their age act so carefree and he wondered if maybe he should adjust his views of the military; he'd always thought combat affected soldiers in a certain way, making them more serious and solemn. Then again, hadn't O'Neill mentioned something earlier today about his wife being a scientist? Besides, they didn't allow women on the front lines, did they? She probably only had limited experience with combat - if any - and O'Neill himself had probably been a pilot, not fighting up close and personal...

"Throw Mommy in the jello, Daddy!" Sage O'Neill yelled, running over to where her father had lifted her struggling mother in his arms, covering her dress in jello.

"Jack O'Neill, you better not-"

"What, are you going to kick my butt?" O'Neill chuckled, carrying her over to the pool.

"You betcha!"

"C'mon Carter, be a good sport! Everyone has jumped in at least once already."

Sam was now clutching her husband, clearly trying to prevent him from being able to throw her in. William wondered if he should do something but he figured this was between the two of them and from what he'd seen of them today, he doubted they were being serious anyway. Eleanor on the other hand gasped and promptly retreated to the deck, lying down in a lounge chair as if it had all become too much for her. A fleeting thought about culture shocks went through his mind before he shook it off and focused on the O'Neills.

"Jack, let me go!"

"The only place you're going is into the jello! Man, I've been waiting for a chance like this for years," O'Neill smirked.

The other children were now surrounding them as well, all chanting "Jello, jello!" as they encouraged O'Neill to throw his wife into the pool.

"C'mon Daddy," Sage said, pushing him.

Billy suddenly appeared next to his friend and to William's shock the two proceeded to push O'Neill, until he tumbled into the pool with his wife still in his arms!

"Whoa!"

"Jack!"

A loud splash sounded as the two adults fell into the jello, the gelatin flying everywhere and the children were all laughing. Before he realized what he was doing William had already crossed the few feet to the pool and was standing next to the children, curiously looking at the two adults who were a tangled mess surrounded by green jello. A shaking mess...

He frowned, worried that maybe Sam had been serious and was now crying over her ruined outfit or maybe she'd hurt herself when falling into the pool. It looked like she'd taken the brunt of the fall with O'Neill landing on top of her. Now the two were struggling to get up, O'Neill's hand slipping away from underneath him before he managed to sit and pull up his wife.

"Are you okay, Sam?"

Her shoulders were still shaking but when O'Neill tipped her chin up with his jello-covered hand they could all see she was quietly laughing and trying not to inhale or ingest any of the gelatin. "I'm fine," she giggled. "I can't believe you did that!"

"Hey!" O'Neill replied when she punched him on the arm. "The munchkins pushed me in!"

William could tell from her facial expression she didn't believe her husband, until the children all started laughing. Ever the gentleman, he leaned over and held out his hand to help Sam up when she almost lost her footing in the slippery pool. It earned him a glare from O'Neill, who was holding onto the edge of the pool to get up. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm fine," she said with a smile.

"She's not made of glass," O'Neill added. He climbed out of the pool and wrapped an arm around his wife's waist. "Now, how about trying out that slide, eh? Your dress is ruined anyway." Turning to look at him, he grinned. "Hey Trip, why don't you get the grill started while we supervise the kids. There's some salads and stuff in the fridge too, so you and your wife can place them on the table on the deck. That way we don't have to get cleaned up to eat inside."

"Sure," William muttered, stepping around the children and towards the deck. Eleanor was still sitting there, disapproval written all over her face and he suspected she might welcome preparing the food - despite hating the task and having maids at home - just so she wouldn't have to witness the activities in the yard. "Will you give me a hand, dear?"

She threw one disgusted look at the O'Neills and reluctantly got up. "Since when have we done a maid's work?"

"You were the one who volunteered to help them out, remember," he muttered as he followed her into the house and steered her towards the kitchen.

"To supervise!"

William shrugged as he set about washing his hands above the sink. "Unless you wish to be surrounded by children covered in gelatin who want you to slide over a sheet of plastic, I suggest we collect the appetizers, set the table and start the grill."

Eleanor rummaged through the fridge, handing him the food items to place them on the counter under the occasional muttering about the appliance's content. The laughter and chatter of the children could be heard through the open window and every now and then O'Neill spoke to the children. From the sounds of it they were trying to convince Sam to join them in their fun now that her blue dress was soaked and had a few blobs of jello clinging to it.

"Jack!"

Curious, William looked out the window at Sam's high-pitched voice just in time to see her dress pool at her feet, revealing the simple black bikini she was wearing underneath it. The woman was certainly fit, he thought to himself. O'Neill had quickly jumped away, clearly trying to look innocent but his wife wasn't having any of it.

"Sometimes you're more like a six-year-old boy, instead of a man of almost sixty," Sam muttered as she leaned down to pick up her dress. It looked like someone - presumably O'Neill - had untied it at the neck allowing the dress, probably weighed down by the water and jello it had absorbed, to fall to the floor.

"Oh c'mon, Sam, loosen up a bit," her husband cajoled. "I knew you were wearing a bikini underneath and just wanted to give you a little push so you'd relax and forget about work for a while. Join in the fun! Let's show her how it's done, kids!"

O'Neill was almost sixty? Despite the man's silver hair William hadn't expected the man to have almost a decade on him! His physique certainly wasn't that of a sixty-year-old man. Hell, he looked more toned than William himself! Glancing over his shoulder he realized Eleanor hadn't seen what had happened yet and he quickly intercepted the ingredients for a simple salad. "I'll make the salad. Why don't you get that large tray," he gestured at the one he'd seen the Sam and her neighbor use earlier today, "and place enough jello desserts and drinks on it for the children, dear."

That way she wouldn't be confronted with what she'd probably label as another immoral act. He, on the other hand, had an excellent view of the O'Neills and the children, who were now all moving towards the slide. Sage was pulling her mother with her, clearly eager for her to join in the fun. William had no doubt Sam would participate after witnessing her husband's antics earlier today and the way she'd been involved with the activities herself.

He chuckled softly when he saw O'Neill take his daughter's hand before the two of them took a little run and jumped onto the slide, the little girl roaring with laughter as they slid over the plastic together. Perhaps Eleanor was right and these people were insane, but they certainly didn't let it hold them back. To his surprise Billy approached Sam with a wide grin and reached for her hand, after which the two followed in O'Neill and Sage's footsteps.

Today was the first time he'd seen his son so uninhibited and while that had been surprising, witnessing him approach an adult in such a carefree manner was even more shocking. The boy had always been a bit shy, especially around adults and it usually took a lot of placating - or maybe it was more like bribery, he wasn't sure - from Eleanor to even have him shake people's hands when they were having guests over.


Jack peeked over the edge of the pool when he heard new voices and was pleased to see the Jenkins had arrived as well. "Hey guys!" He yelled as he got out of the pool, shaking his head to dislodge some of the jello much to Sage's amusement and helped his daughter out as well.

"God Jack, what have you been up to?" Robert Jenkins laughed as he noted the jello and scanned the rest of the yard. "Where are my girls?"

"I can't believe Sam is letting you do this," Linda added.

Running a hand through his sticky hair he smirked. "Letting me do this? Hell, she's the one who's been throwing water balloons and using the slip 'n slide all day!"

"Are my daughters with Sam?"

"I'll go get Emma and Loren," Sage piped up, dashing off.

Jack gestured towards the slide. "Yeah, they're two of the dozen or so green jello blobs over there."

"Is it just the two of you with the kids?" Robert asked.

"Teresa helped out earlier in the afternoon before going home to walk the dog. She said she'd be back in a bit but I haven't seen her yet," he replied.

Linda laughed as they moved further into the yard and saw the state of everyone. "I'm impressed the two of you managed to keep an eye on what, fifteen kids, while participating in the fun as well."

"The Vogels are around here somewhere as well. I think they're in the kitchen, collecting the salads and drinks so we can get the grill started. They're Billy's parents..." Jack scanned the group of kids until he'd located the boy. "The red-headed boy with Sage and the twins."

The words had barely left his mouth when the foursome came running over, all excited and covered in jello. The twins immediately went over to their parents while Sage and Billy hung back a bit, standing next to him.

"Mommy, Daddy, the party is awesome! General Jack made a soap slide!" Emma exclaimed.

Loren nodded excitedly. "And he and General Sam threw us in the jello pool!"

"Yeah, we can see that," Robert chuckled. "Looks like you two had a lot of fun!"

Linda turned to Sage as her daughters continued to chat to their dad. "What about you, honey? Are you enjoying your birthday party?"

"Yeah, it's awesome! This is Billy, he's my bestest friend from school. Wanna meet the others too, Mrs Jenkins?"

"Best friend, munchkin," Jack corrected her, but she and Billy were already dragging Linda away. "So Rob, gonna join in the fun?"

"Yeah Daddy, come on."

"Please? I'll show you how to use the slide, Daddy."

Robert shook his head, laughing softly. "How can I say no that, eh?"

Jack smirked, gleefully rubbing his hands together. "Excellent. I'm sure the Vogels can start the grill without us." He and the twins waited patiently while Robert took off his shoes and socks, followed by his shirt. "You might want to get rid of the belt too, don't want you to tear the plastic or hurt yourself with it."

"Right," he replied. "It's not like I need it anyway. I'm keeping my jeans on, though!"

"That's okay, Daddy," Emma said, grabbing his arm and pulling him towards the slide.

Loren took Jack's hand and together the four of them walked over to the slide. "You have to do the slide, then run through the sprinkler field and jump into the pool, Dad. We'll go first, right General Jack?"

"Yeah sure you betcha!"


When Sam spotted Teresa and Ricardo Martinez entering the backyard, each carrying a portable picnic table, she quickly went over to the deck where the Vogels had already been placing trays of food, drinks and dessert on the table and snatched one of the large beach towels she'd placed there. Those had been meant for the children since she hadn't expected her husband to throw her in a pool filled with jello, but there were plenty left. Besides, Jack had mentioned a towel and swimwear on the invitation so the children should each have one of their own with them.

Most of her torso was relatively clean from using the soap slide so she quickly used the towel on her face, hair and arms before wrapped it around her as she walked over to the Martinezes. "Hi!"

"Hola, Sam!"

"I didn't think you'd be able to make it, Ricardo!"

"Well, when Teresa told me what you and Jack were up to... I just had to see for myself!" He laughed, taking in her appearance before looking around at the others. "It's even worse than I thought!"

"Jack thought these might come in handy and asked if he could borrow them for today," Teresa said, gesturing at the two folded picnic tables. "I don't know if you remember but we used them for Rick's party a few months ago and they always come out when my sisters and their families visit too."

Sam nodded and took the thing from her. "I do, Jack even bought one when it was on sale last month. To use at the cabin in the summer but we haven't been up there yet so it should still be in the garage. I'd already forgotten all about it!"

"Estupendo! Then we have twelve seats already. How many children are here?"

"Sixteen kids, Billy's parents, the Jenkins, you, Teresa, Jack and me," Sam replied. "The table on the deck is large enough for six people normally but with all the extra trays it might be a bit cramped... Oh, we still have the picnic table near the garage," she added. It had been an old wooden picnic table that they hadn't use much since moving here. She had suggested getting rid of the thing since it didn't look too stable but Jack had put in some new bolts, sand papered and lacquered it in the spring. He was still supposed to paint it but it seemed he'd forgotten about it - and so had she up until now - but it would do for today.

"I will see if Mr. and Mrs Vogel need any help," Teresa said, before walking up to the house.

"Where do you want these, Sam?"

She scanned the yard and came to the conclusion it would be best to put their two portable picnic tables to the right of the deck and the one Jack had bought and fixed up could both be set up in the sprinkler area since there was still some sun left there, meaning the children wouldn't get cold once they sat down in their wet swimsuits. "If you could set these up here, Ricardo," she pointed at the area, "then I'll turn off the sprinklers and see if Jack and Rob are done playing with the kids and can give me a hand with the other two tables."

Robert and his wife, Linda, were two years younger than Sam and lived down the street. Their girls had quickly befriended Sage, while Rob and Jack got along great too despite the nearly twenty-year age gap between them and usually went to the gym together about twice a week when the kids were in school. Linda had a great sense of humor, a keen intellect and like Sam she was a working mother, which unfortunately also meant the two of them hardly had time to do things together unlike their husbands. It was a shame really, because Sam thought they could be good friends from the few times they actually interacted with each other, usually during a barbecue, play dates or birthday parties like today.

Setting the portable picnic table in the grass Sam left it in the capable hands of Ricardo while she went looking for the Jenkins and her husband. It didn't take her long to spot them, despite their crouched positions behind various objects in the yard. It seemed they and the children had discovered the leftover balloons and buckets filled with water that Jack had set up this morning, the ones she had totally forgotten about after running through the two buckets William had brought out.

Linda had the best cover and only had a few wet spots on her ankle-length skirt from the grass, sprinklers or maybe a successful hit with a water balloon. It looked like she was teamed up with Jack and Rob, who were both partly covered in jello and soap remnants and only wearing their pants. The kids were on the other side, all wielding water balloons and Sage and Edward - if Sam recalled correctly - had grabbed the two hoses from the soap slide as their weapons. The latter two seemed more successful in hitting the adults than the rest, whose water balloons were littered on the grass from bad aim.

Sam spotted William on the deck near the grill where he appeared to be watching the water balloon fight with a small smile and went over to him. "William? Would you mind turning off the sprinkler system so we can set up the tables? It's already past dinner time and while it's great to see the kids having so much fun, I don't want to send them home hungry because we forgot about the time."

"Of course. I'll turn off the system and then we can call the children to ask them what they want for dinner," he said. "Do you also want me to turn off the water for the hose?"

"Please do, thank you William," she smiled. When he left she threw her wet towel over the deck rail to dry next to her dress and went over to where the other hose was connected to the outdoors faucet and turned it off. Sam waited until the sprinkler system was turned off before running over the grass towards the garage, dodging two water balloons on her way. "Jack? Robert, Linda?" After a few seconds Jack looked her way and she beckoned him over to explain why she needed their help.


Jack wiped his brow after they had finally moved the heavy picnic table he'd fixed up a couple of months ago and looked at where the children were still throwing water balloons at each other. "I think today was quite the success," he said smugly.

"I agree, all the kids seem to enjoy it," Linda said.

"Even some of the spoiled brats from Sage's fancy school."

"Jealous, Rob?" He questioned, although he knew that wasn't the case. The Jenkins simply didn't like snobbish elitist people and a lot of these kids really were spoiled brats. But his daughter liked them and once you got to know them most weren't that bad. Not yet, anyway.

Robert laughed and shook his head. "No man, I feel sorry for poor little Sage!"

"I don't think you have to worry about her," Sam remarked, her eyes also on the children. "Looks like she's already in charge."

"Didn't you hear? It's because she's got the coolest dad ever!" Jack quipped, wrapping an arm around her. "I've been told he organizes the most awesome birthday parties."

Linda nodded, clearly in agreement. "All of your daughter's friends seemed to think so when she introduced me to them. Now there's only one problem..."

He frowned, looking between her and the rambunctious kids. They were all laughing, shouting triumphantly and chattering as the water balloons flew through the air. "I don't see a problem."

"Really?" Robert teased after exchanging glances with her. "I can see it."

"What?"

"The problem is, Jack," Linda explained, "how are you planning on trumping this party next year?"

Sam snorted at that and playfully poked him. "Yeah, you might just lose your Coolest Dad of the Year title if it doesn't live up to expectations."

"Funny Carter," Jack muttered. "I'll have you know-"

Suddenly a loud yelp tore through the air, followed by a heavy silence. All four of them looked back at the children but none of them seemed injured, in pain or otherwise upset.

"Uh-oh," Sage broke the silence. Jack realized what had happened as he followed her gaze.

"William Bartholomew Vogel IV! What in the Lord's name do you think you are doing?" Eleanor Vogel's shrill voice sounded. She was standing in the middle of the 'battlefield' with the kids in front of her... and a large blob of green jello on her otherwise pristine jacket.

Jack exchanged looks with Sam, both of them unsure whether they should interfere as the woman spoke to her son. Billy seemed to cower behind a few of the other children and his face was almost the same color as his hair. "Sam...?"

"I don't know," she replied in the same tone. He wasn't sure why they were whispering but it seemed appropriate in the sudden silence. Even the birds were quiet.

"I'm sorry!" Billy suddenly sobbed. "I just wanted to play!"

Jack winced in sympathy at the cries while the boy's mother seemed to be quietly fuming. He wasn't sure whether the kid had meant to throw the jello-filled water balloon at his mother or if she just happened to be in the way - his aim was kind of terrible, after all. He suspected it was the former though, which sort of made sense considering he, Sam and the Jenkins had all participated with the activities and Billy probably wanted his parents to join too...

"Maybe someone should step in," Robert suggested. "That lady looks her head might literally explode."

"I don't think that's humanly possible... Is it, Sam?" Linda asked.

Sam just shrugged, obviously not sure about anything when it came to creatures like Eleanor Vogel. "Billy looks really upset. You should check on him Jack, he likes you."

He was about to follow her 'order' when Billy ran off, crying, towards the house. To Jack's surprise Mrs Vogel appeared more concerned about her jacket and what she probably thought of as her public humiliation than her own child. William Vogel went over to her and harsh but whispered words were exchanged by both parties before the man seemed to go inside to check up on his son and she retreated to the deck.

"Well, this seems like a good time to break up the activities," Jack muttered. "Might as well get the kids settled down with something to drink after all their playing while we throw some food on the grill. That way William and Billy can have a moment alone."

"I guess so," Sam said, nodding slowly. "We should probably postpone opening the presents until everything is settled again, after dinner and before the parents come to pick up the kids."