samandjack.net

Author's Notes: feed back, yes please


The next morning had been very full. Sam helped Laura in the kitchen getting all the food and drinks sorted out for the birthday party luncheon. Then there was a knock at the front door.

“I’ll get it” Mark called out, over the screaming kids.

Most of the kids were outside playing and having lots of fun. Mark walked in to the kitchen with a man following behind him.

“Sam, this is Pete Shanahan; Pete my baby sister Sam.”

“Hi” Sam said

“Hi; Mark you didn’t tell me she was beautiful” Sam raised an eyebrow and looked at Mark.

“Well, now you know. If you will excuse me, I’m going to take some snacks out side for the kids…Laura.”

Laura and Mark took a couple of bowls of chip and dip and some drinks outside for the kids. Sam carried on making the sandwiches.

“So, Mark said that you live in Colorado Springs.”

“Yes; what else has he told you about me?”

“That you are in the Air Force, working at NORAD, in Deep Space Radar Telemetry.”

“That’s right.”

“Would you like to go out to dinner sometime?” Sam stopped what she was doing and looked up.

“I’m only here until tomorrow.”

“I know. I live not far from Colorado Springs, I’m from Denver.”

“Oh. I’m usually very busy with work” ‘and making passionate love with Jack’ she thought.

“Well, I’m going to be in Colorado Springs for a while. Perhaps we can get together one night when you’re not busy.”

“You said that you were from Denver?”

“I am but some times I work in Colorado Springs.”

“Oh?” she continued making finger food.

“Yeah; did Mark tell you what I do?”

“No, he hasn’t told me a thing about you.”

“Oh ok; I’m a cop, well a detective, and some of my cases are in Colorado Springs.”

“Oh, ok.”

Some of the kids ran into the kitchen, asking for a drink. Sam got them all a soda each and they left after thanking her. Then she noticed that Pete was gone. She carried on getting everything done when Laura walked back in with an empty bowl in her hand.

“Hey, how’s it going out there.”

“Good; Sam you have done a great job here, thanks.”

“No problem.”

“So” Sam looked at her.

“What?”

“What do you think of Pete?”

“Laura not you too? We just met for crying out loud” Laura raised an eyebrow and smile.

“Well, did he ask you out?”

“Yes”

“And” she was filling up the bowl with chips.

“I told him I’m always busy at work.”

“Go on Sam, it’s just one dinner.”

“You and Mark are playing match maker?” she smiled.

“Oy” she rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Go on Sam, just one dinner, please?”

“You and Mark are going to go on about this until I give in, aren’t you?” She smiled.

“If I say I will go out on one dinner date, will you two stop hounding me about it?” she smiled and put a chip in her mouth and walked outside. Sam just shook her head.

An hour later all the kids were enjoying themselves; eating, drinking and having lots of fun. Once lunch was over, the birthday cake came out. When Sam saw the cake she thought of Jack. An hour after the cake was served the parents of the kids arrived, since most of them had to work over the weekend. Sam spoke to some of the parents for a while before going back inside to get more drinks and snacks for everyone.

Later that evening they had a barbecue for everyone. Afterwards, Karen sat down to open the presents. They each took turns in giving her their present for her to open up and thank them. Half way through opening the gifts, there was a knock at the door. Mark went to answer it and returned with a huge bouquet of carnations and a big package.

“Wow, who is that for Dad?”

“You; there is also this package and a card with the flowers.” He passed the package and card to her and put the flowers on the table. She read the card and frowned.

“Karen, what does it say?” Laura asked.

“It says. ‘Karen Carter, Happy Birthday today. We all know that carnations are your favourite flower. How do we know? Ask your Auntie Sam. One day we will meet in person, except for General Hammond. From your extended family, Uncle George, Daniel, Janet, Cassie, T, Jonas and Jack’” Sam smiled and Karen looked at her.