samandjack.net

Story Notes: Pairings: Sam and Jack

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters relating to Stargate. They belong to MGM and any of their associates. I’m just playing around with them for a little while!

Authors Note: This doesn’t really have a set time…. some when in the future obviously. The SGC gets closed down and Sam gets reassigned. This one is for my nana.

Date: 12/01/2003


The requisition read “Major Samantha Carter, Pentagon transfer effective immediately.”

The words burn my soul.

It came this morning, and I leave tomorrow morning.

But, I guess with the SGC closed for business there’s not a lot more for me to do other than go back. And, when the Air Force tells you to go somewhere, you don’t argue.

I’ve packed all the essential stuff from my office and lab, just a few notes, nothing classified to the project though.

There’s barely enough to fill the briefcase I carry up with me to the surface and into the parking lot.

I walk across the cold hard concrete for what is one of, if not *the* last time. All the paperwork is sorted, so I guess there isn’t really much reason to come back.

I’ve done all the goodbyes, but its not like I’ll never see Teal’c, Jonas, Daniel or Janet again. There’ll be visits.

There’s only one person I’ve yet to see.

The Colonel.

And I need to see him.

Not even need…it’s imperative.

The sneakers I wear pound the ground as I approach my car.

But my approach slows as I get nearer. Near enough to see someone leaning against the drivers door.

‘Sir?’ I call out quietly into the shadows.

‘Hey Carter,’ he replies just as quietly, pushing away from the door and stepping into the light from the car park lamp just behind him.

He looks quietly calm and sedate, which is what has me worried.

‘Sir…’

‘No,’ he interrupts, holding up his hand to silence me. Then he smiles.

‘It’s OK Carter. I know. I understand. I support you.’

I breathe a small sigh of relief.

‘I’m sorry,’ I whisper as I lower my head to the ground.

‘I know you are Major. So am I. But you have your orders, and your career. There’ll be time for…other things.’

I raise my eyes to his questioningly.

‘Other things?’ I query.

‘Yeah Sam. Other things.’

His use of my first name brings a smile to my lips.

‘I will still see you…won’t I? I mean, Jonas and Teal’c and Dan…’

‘Yes Carter. You will definitely still see me. Don’t think you’re getting rid of me that easily.’

I laugh quietly.

‘I should hope not sir.’

Silence descends at the end of my profound statement, both of us knowing without having to voice its hidden meanings.

He takes a few more steps towards me.

‘Well, good luck then Major.’

He raises his arm to a salute, and I do the same.

‘Thank you sir.’

Before I know what has happened his saluting arm has moved and pulled me into a hug. We hold each other as though it might be the last time.

‘Good luck Carter,’ he whispers into my ear.

‘You too…Jack,’ I whisper back.

We stay there for another minute or two and then pull away from each other.

Neither of us says anything, there’s no need to.

We just smile, and then walk in our opposite directions.

Guess it’s true what they say.

All things come to an end…eventually.

And I know that our journey will too.

Oh yes…one will end, and another will begin.

Eventually…



End Notes: That’s it!! I’ve done it!! Finito!! Hope you’ve enjoyed it, and as always……FEEDBACK me!!! J