samandjack.net

Story Notes: His and Hers 02: SERIES: 2nd story in 'His and Hers'

NOTE: Thanks you for everybody who had let me know how they enjoy the series, my muse loves you all :o). And once again thanks for Rosemary who beta-read this part. And also to Aud for all her help with my next week trip to Scotland.

URL of this story (for better formatting):
www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/hisandhers2.htm
http://fly.to/bluetopazfic/

EMAIL: blue-topaz@lycos.com


His and Hers 02: His Archeologist, Her CMO and Their Jaffa


Tuesday, 8 July 2003



05.30 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, have you woken up yet? And you better be in the SGC, Major.



05.32 : Sam Carter

Yes, I have woken up. And yes, I stayed at the SGC last night.

And contrary to popular belief, I *do* sleep at night.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

Could've fooled me. Anyway, want something from the outside world for breakfast?



05.32 : Sam Carter

Blueberry muffin from your regular coffee shop would be great. Thanks for offering, Sir.



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

Part of the service. See you in the mess hall at 07.30.



05.33 : Sam Carter

See you there.



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

By the way, have you heard anything from the Doc about Major Ewan and Captain Perry? Those two troublemakers from SG-9 who gave us this headache?



05.33 : Sam Carter

Janet said they were OK, Sir. Just need a bit of rest.

Are you going to give them a piece of your mind?



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

Nope. Hammond is more than capable of doing that. But I won't mind channelling some of my frustration on them



05.34 : Sam Carter

Don't you think that they suffered enough, Sir? Surely they have learned their lesson.



05.34 : Jack O'Neill

Do you think so? I mean, those two should have known better. They shouldn't have let their personal feelings affect their work.

What's wrong with the two of them anyway?



05.34 : Sam Carter

Sir, have you seen anything more humiliating than when they gated home from P3X 599? The demand for a copy of the security tape of that particular incident is high.

I heard that both Major Ewan and Captain Perry liked the same girl. And I'm sure you know the rest of the story.



05.34 : Jack O'Neill

They were fighting over a girl?

Their unprofessional behaviour is appalling. They were lucky the planet that they were visiting was a peaceful one.



05.34 : Sam Carter

I'm sure General Hammond will reprimand them, Sir.



05.34 : Jack O'Neill

Oh well, I guess you're right. I'll see you on the base then. I'm going to take a shower now.



05.35 : Sam Carter

I'm going to take one as well. See you in the mess hall, Sir.



***



11.54 : Jack O'Neill

I'm bored.

What are you doing now?



11.55 : Sam Carter

I'm performing an experiment to determine the decay rate of the new mineral that SG-7 found on P98 766.

Wanna help me?



11.56 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, I'm bored. Not suicidal.



11.56 : Sam Carter

Sir, it's only an experiment. Not a dangerous mission.

And I'm not going to bite. Neither will my equipment.



11.56 : Jack O'Neill

Forget about it.

Hey, why does the question come out at 13.00? Why not earlier?



11.56 : Sam Carter

Because we've had our lunch by then. It's always a good thing to do this with your stomach full. So that no one get cranky.



11.57 : Jack O'Neill

Oh well, I guess I'll leave you alone to do those experiments.

Meet me for lunch?



11.57 : Sam Carter

Sure.



11.57 : Jack O'Neill

12.30. Don't be late. I'll save you a blue Jell-O if I arrive sooner than that.



11.57 : Sam Carter

Thanks, Colonel. I'll see you there.



***



13.00: The Psychiatrist

Who is your best friend? How would you describe him/her? Discuss it with each other.



***



13.45 : Jack O'Neill

I call dibs on Daniel



13.46 : Sam Carter

Competitive bunch, aren't we?

That's OK, because I wasn't about to do Daniel anyway. Mine is Janet.



13.46 : Jack O'Neill

Sure you want to take the Doc? If you're that desperate, I'm willing to fight you over Daniel. Say what? Let's flip a coin.



13.46 : Sam Carter

SIR! That's just mean. Janet is not that bad.

Did you just have your physical examination this morning?



13.46 : Jack O'Neill

Yes, I did. Carter, put yourself in my position, give her a needle and lock us in a room for a day. I dare you to say that again after that.

I bet the Doc has some kind of personal vendetta against me. She's always nice to the others.



13.47 : Sam Carter

Okay, maybe you have a point there. Janet can be quite scary when she has her needle with her. And she doesn't have anything against you, Sir. However, your lack of cooperation when you are in her care might affect her judgment of you.

But no matter what, she's still my best friend.



13.47 : Jack O'Neill

Better friend than Daniel?



13.47 : Sam Carter

There are more secrets that I share with Janet than with Daniel.



13.47 : Jack O'Neill

That's only because Janet's a woman.



13.48 : Sam Carter

Yes, because she's woman. Happy now?

Why are we arguing this? I thought you wanted Daniel for yourself.



13.48 : Jack O'Neill

Yes, I'm happy.

And I'm doing this because it's fun.



13.48 : Sam Carter

Is this a payback?



13.48 : Jack O'Neill

Theoretically speaking, what if it is?



13.49 : Sam Carter

Well, theoretically speaking, Sir. If it *is* a payback then you're not doing a good job of it.



13.49 : Jack O'Neill

Oy.



13.49 : Sam Carter

Gotta go. I'll write mine after the 14.30 briefing.



13.49 : Jack O'Neill

OK.



***



14.36 : Jack O'Neill

Daniel is a scientist, he (used to) sneeze a lot, he's a geek.

That's my best friend for you.



***



16.41 : Sam Carter

Sir, please.

No one will believe that that's all you can say about your best friend.

And I know you only wrote that to wind me up. Guess what? It didn't work. Nice try though. Try harder next time.



16.45 : Jack O'Neill

Gee, Carter. I never knew that you thought so little of me.

Of course that's not all I can say about him. It's just the preview.

OK, so Daniel, what can I say about him?

Well, he's a geek. Much more geek-er than Carter. He wears glasses and is allergic to just about anything. Although I think that all the medication that the Doc has pumped into his blood seems to have a permanent effect lately.

He's gentle. But he can be rough too. Life is not being kind to him. But life has also taught him important lessons and lets just face it, Daniel is a model student, much like Carter. If there's one person that means a lot to him more than anyone else, it had to be Sha're, his wife. And even though she's gone, his feelings for her haven’t changed. Not a bit. And that my friend, is what I call true love.

Daniel is not only my friend, but he's also my team member. He has this penchant for disobeying my orders, albeit only for reasons that are very profound. He's my conscience I suppose. He can be so annoying sometimes, when he rattles on about the latest translation or describing an ancient history. He's boring that way. He has a big heart. He can see the goodness in people no matter how evil they are.

He's an orphan, his parents passed away when he was just a little boy. He has a grandfather, but their relationship was not always great. To be honest, I'm not totally comfortable speaking about his family in great detail. One things for sure though, I trust him. He has saved my life several times and he helped me face my demons.

Daniel also has these puppy-dog eyes (this information is generously divulged by the nurses in the infirmary, his second most visited place in the SGC, right after his own lab). The effect is quite universal, on and off-world women seem to be susceptible to this. Not always a bad thing, I must say, we could use it to our advantage.

Okay, that's it.

See Carter ....

PS: I'll hunt you down if Daniel or anyone for that matter ever hears of this.



16.46 : Sam Carter

Are you sure about the puppy-dog eyes? It's more like doe-eyes to me.

And don't worry about anyone hearing this. Daniel could always read though. He's very good at that.



16.46 : Jack O'Neill

Don't tell me that you are one of Daniel's worshipers as well.

And don't toy with me. I'm serious. It could damage my reputation.

Your turn. Go talk about the Napoleon power-monger.



16.48 : Sam Carter

Don't you think that you're being too harsh on Janet, Sir?

She's a nice person.

Janet is our Chief Medical Officer. She is responsible for the health of all the SGC's personnel. Even though she's small, she has that presence within her. A Marine twice her size would flinch under her scrutiny. I guess that came in a package with her job; she has to be able to control her patients. And like the Colonel said, armed with a needle, she can be very scary. At least to those who constantly disobey her orders.

Janet had a husband, who was a jerk. Otherwise, Janet would never have divorced him. I never met him, but I don't think I would have wanted to. It's her past, and she does not dwell on it, so I won't pry. She is also a mother. A very good one as well. She loves her daughter, Cassie, even though she's not really hers, not biologically, anyway. But I saw with my own eyes to what extent she is willing to go for Cassie. I'm glad that because of her, Cassie can live a normal life. One that I could not give her.

I guess being one of the few women on the base helps make us a better friend. We understand what it feels like living in a man's world. I love Janet dearly, like a sister. I trust her with my deepest secrets and my life.

And I think she has a thing going for Daniel.



16.48 : Jack O'Neill

Oh, wow. I can actually see the Doc in a new light.

Daniel and the Doc, huh? I didn’t know that you liked to gossip, Carter.



16.49 : Sam Carter

I'm not gossiping. Merely sharing my observation.



16.49 : Jack O'Neill

Whatever you say. Major.

Hey, how do we discuss them?

You know what? I kinda feel guilty talking about this.



16.49 : Sam Carter

I'm not sure how to. I mean, I agree with most of the stuff that you said about Daniel. I know him quite well too. And I'm sure it applies to Janet as well.

And Sir, technically, we're not talking.

And since when did you develop a sense of guilt when it concerns Daniel?



16.49 : Jack O'Neill

Smart-ass.

I'm feeling guilty because it's not fair to Teal'c.



16.50 : Sam Carter

I beg your pardon?



16.50 : Jack O'Neill

I'm talking about Daniel here, but what about T?



16.50 : Sam Carter

You want to talk about Teal'c as well, Sir? Be my guest. I don't see anything wrong with that.



16.50 : Jack O'Neill

Well, it's only fair, isn't it?

Lets do this together? You and me.



16.50 : Sam Carter

How do you propose to do that?



16.50 : Jack O'Neill

Meet me in my office. We compare notes.



16.51 : Sam Carter

Now?



16.51 : Jack O'Neill

No, Carter. Next year.

Of course now, for crying out loud.



16.51 : Sam Carter

Give me ten minutes.



16.51 : Jack O'Neill

See you in my office. Don't forget to bring any pie if you happen to go by the mess hall.



16.51 : Sam Carter

Got it.



***



17.23 : Jack O'Neill

This is a combined observation on our (Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter) other best friend. We don't think that it was fair to leave him out of this.

His name is Teal'c. He has a strange name because he's not from around here. He is loyal and courageous. A warrior through and through. He doesn't say a lot, but when he does, it's something that should not go unnoticed. He's a man of his word. The kind of man that you want to watch your back in the battle.

Teal'c is the only one in our team who has a son. His name is Rya'c. He's a good boy, and it seems that he's going to follow his father's footsteps. Teal'c's wife has just passed away. Personally we (well, mostly Colonel O'Neill) think that he didn't love her anymore, but she is still the mother of his child. She did something unforgivable to him, but it was only because a mother should did what a mother had to do. Teal'c was furious, but then he forgave her. Because he is Teal'c. Although facts had shown that he could held a grudge for a long time (something that we dubbed 'The Jaffa's revenge', don't ask the reason why). Those whom he considers as an enemy should be afraid. Very afraid.

He has a mentor, called Master Bra'tac. He loves him like a father. Bra'tac taught him everything that he knows. Recent events have proved that Teal'c is willing to sacrifice his life for him, that's how close they are.

He eats a lot. Well, he's a big man. Teal'c is also one of those big teddy bears (this observation is only from eyes of Major Carter). He has a soft spot for everyone that he cares for. He likes sci-fi, especially Star Wars. And he's been trying to practice his jokes to suit ours.



***

18.45 : Jack O'Neill

Want to have a dinner outside together, Major? Let's bring Teal'c, Daniel and the Doc as well. I think O'Malley's have lifted their restriction.



18.45 : Sam Carter

Doubt it, Sir. They did say that we are not allowed to enter their premises for as long as they still sell steak.



18.45 : Jack O'Neill

Darn it. What about some Italian then? Or maybe Chinese?



18.46 : Sam Carter

Chinese sounds good. What time do you want to meet topside?



18.46 : Jack O'Neill

20.00. I'll tell Daniel and Teal'c. You go get the Doc.



18.46 : Sam Carter

OK. Meet you there then.



18.46 : Jack O'Neill

20.00 Carter. Don't be late.



18.47 : Sam Carter

Sir, I'm not Daniel. You don't have to remind me about being punctual.



18.47 : Jack O'Neill

Sorry, force of habit. See you topside then.



18.47 : Sam Carter

OK. See you there. One more thing, Sir. This is supposed to be journal, not a telephone. We can't really use it to make an appointment.



18.47 : Jack O'Neill

Don't care.



***



23.49 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, why didn't the others know about this journal? I thought that you told them for sure.



23.50 : Sam Carter

I saw no need to tell them about this. Beside, I'm sure that you wouldn't appreciate being made fun of by those marines if they ever found out. It's not that I don't trust them, but the less people know, the better. This will reduce the possibility of a slip up.



23.50 : Jack O'Neill

I see. Thanks.



23.51 : Sam Carter

You're welcome.



23.51 : Jack O'Neill

You know what? It's funny that I find this easy.



23.51 : Sam Carter

Sir?



23.51 : Jack O'Neill

This 'writing in the journal' thing. I don't feel forced anymore. And as much as I hate to admit it, it's fun. I can say things here and get away with it.



23.51 : Sam Carter

I'm glad that you enjoy it.



23.52 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, what about when we have a mission? What happens to the journal?



23.52 : Sam Carter

Well, I was thinking about postponing the questions when we're off-world. It could endanger our mission, not to mention wasting valuable time.



23.52 : Jack O'Neill

OK then. I'm glad you are already thinking it through.

One more thing. I know that I'm your friend, but am I one of your best friends?



23.52 : Sam Carter

Yes, Sir. Of course you are.



23.54 : Jack O'Neill

Then you don't mind me asking you out for dinner as a friend, do you? Just the two of us. This Thursday.



23.57 : Sam Carter

I'm not sure that it would be such a good idea, Sir. People talk.



23.58 : Jack O'Neill

So? Let them talk. It's not something new.



24.00 : Sam Carter

Alright then. Let them talk.

But I can't do Thursday. Cassie is coming to my house for a sleepover. What about Friday?



24.00 : Jack O'Neill

Friday is fine.

Look at the time. It's midnight already. I'm off to bed.

Night Carter. See you tomorrow.



24.00 : Sam Carter

Goodnight Sir.

***



End Notes: The next one will be 'His GameBoy and Her Notebook'. Find out why they talk about anything else but the answer to the psychiatrist's question :o). Feedback is greatly appreciated.

blue-topaz@lycos.com
http://fly.to/bluetopazfic/