samandjack.net

Story Notes: TITLE: Thirty Five

AUTHOR: K. Siegfried (Niamh)

EMAIL: sg1flygirl@yahoo.com or ksiegfried@henry.wells.edu

CATEGORY: S&J Romance. Semi-Established S&J Relationship. 1999 "Alright" Challenge entry at the S&J RA.

SPOILERS: Emancipation, Need, Thor's Chariot, Family.

SEASON INFO: For continuity's sake: Season Three

RATING: PG-13 for sexual innuendo and adultish situations.

CONTENT WARNING: Sexually suggestive innuendo.

SEQUEL TO: Lady in Red.

SUMMARY: SGC celebrates Sam's birthday.

DISCLAIMER: STARGATE SG-1 and its characters are property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author.This story may not be posted elsewhere without the concent of the author. Exception: K. Siegfried's SG-1 Archives, Heliopolis, S&J RA.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Lyrics for Goody Two Shoes (A. Ant, M. Pirroni), Love of My Life (C. Santana, D. Matthews), and All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You, by Heart, used without permission.

The original quest of the Challenge was to create a story using the following elements: a white rose, the song All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You by Heart, and small blurb on TV in which they had shown Sam in her uniform, next to Teal'c and Daniel, shouting "Alright!" with a huge smile on her face. I had to bend it a bit in the name of creative license, but I think it turned out well!


xxxxx

Sam's Side



Major Samantha Carter, USAF Stargate Command
You are hereby cordially invited to
A formal event, celebrating
The Fifth Anniversary of The Stargate Project.
Nineteen-Hundred Hours, East Ridge; Cheyenne Mountain Complex



The invitation had been slipped into my mailbox, looking elegant with gold embossed lettering and SGC's official seal on the cover. Setting it on my desk, I frowned. Formal meant dress uniforms, and it was the last thing I wanted to get into for the evening. But, I knew I was expected to make an appearance, and the last thing I wanted to do was annoy General Hammond.

"Did you get this?" Daniel walked into my office after softly knocking on the open door, waving the small ivory card in his hand. Wearily I nodded, sliding into the chair behind my desk, smoothing the papers off of the green blotter before resting my elbows on the top.

"Unfortunately." I said into my palms as I rubbed my sore eyes with hard fingertips. I needed sleep, not a party. "I'd rather go home and go to bed than go to a party."

"Oh come on, Sam. It'll be fun. I managed to sneak a peak at the General's desk and you wouldn't believe the catering list he had to sign for. We won't have to eat for a week after tonight!" He was smiling wide and toothy. Daniel, the bottomless stomach. He was about the only man I knew who actually looked forward to discovering what MRE's they had packed for us. One thing is for sure; he'll be a beautiful corpse when he finally kicks it from all the preservatives in his system.

"Have I told you lately you're insane?" I grinned, looking at him over my hands. He shrugged and glanced down at the invitation again.

"Not in the last twenty-four hours, anyway." Daniel was smiling at me again, taking a few steps forward to examine the piles of paper I had on my desk.

"Anything interesting?" His fingers caught a dog-eared page, lifting it back to display a diagram of my latest pet project; Marin's naquada reactor.

"Just the naquada reactor. Ran out of samples of naquada so I've got to put it on hold until we can get more. I hope that agreement with Shyla's planet pans out." I watched as the slightest pout formed over his lips. It hadn't exactly been the highlight of his life, or any of ours as a matter of fact, but if it meant a reliable source of naquada, then there was one good outcome.

"Yeah…well." The furrow between his brows deepened and he promptly dropped the page. Taking a deep breath, he turned to face me again. "Want to help me package up a few artifacts from our last trip?"

"Sure. I need to get out of this office for a few hours or I'm going to go insane." Stretching, I stood.

"Going to go insane?" Daniel teased, stuffing the invitation back into his pocket. "I thought you were already way past that."

"Oh shut up and move." I gave him a playful shove, following him out of my office.

There was another reason why I wanted to go home. It's my thirty-fifth birthday. It's a cross between whether or not I'm happy or disappointed nobody found out. I could place myself on my couch for the evening, suck down a half-gallon of ice cream and watch a depressing movie. I've had worse birthdays.

Daniel was carefully categorizing his playthings as I wrapped them up to put in boxes, his precise notes and sketches itemized in a leather bound notebook like the ones he carried on our trips. I enjoyed being in his office slash lab; he always had the most interesting things to look at, from the bust marble sculpture of a young Egyptian woman he kept next to Sha'uri's picture, to the items he had helped dig for on Orban.

"Sam?" His voice calling my name suddenly brought me back from daydreaming and I looked at him in confusion.

"Did you say something?" Sheepishly I smiled.

"Yes, I asked you if you were done with that box." He pointed to the one sitting next to the figurine I was still wrapping in tissue and foam.

"Sorry, my mind's wondering looking at your stuff." I set the artifact in the box and placed the lid on top. Daniel smiled and shook his head.

"Help me carry them to the storage room?" He brought out a thick black marker and encrypted the side of the box with a category code. Pulling it closer to him by the handle, he picked up the box and adjusted the balance in his hands, leaving the lighter of the two for me.

"Sure." I followed him out of the office with the box, walking beside him as we made our way to the elevator.

"So, why are we suddenly adverse to parties?" Daniel walked closer to me as two SF men passed on his left, carrying a green trunk between them, bound for a distant armory. Not having a convincing defense to his query, I just shrugged, facing forward as I walked.

"I mean, what was so wrong with the last one?" Since my memory seemed to be failing me, I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What last one?" In an act of amazing balance for Daniel, he managed to press the button with his elbow to signal the elevator car. Adjusting his glasses by pressing his face to his shoulder, he leaned into the wall.

"The Halloween party. You know, the one you dressed up like Hathor-"

"Oh, let's not go there." I desperately hoped he couldn't see the blush rising to my cheeks as I thought of that night and the events that took place after it. In some ways, it was horrific, and in other ways, it was a memory I'd always cherish.

"You know, you never did tell me what happened." Daniel stepped into the car after the doors had opened, a beaming smile on his face.

"Like I said, let's not go there." Leaning into the opposite wall, I watched as he set down his box to punch in the floor number for the storage room. He didn't look at me, just remained silent, trying to keep his face from spreading into a grin.

"To quote Jack, you did look pretty sweet in that dress, Sam."

"Daniel, drop it!" I spat at him with the voraciousness of a pit bull. I hadn't even told Janet what had happened and I certainly wasn't going to inform Daniel of all the seedy details. "It's not exactly something that needs revisiting, thank you very much."

"Okay, okay." The car began a slow accent, rising between the levels of concrete. Daniel leant into the wall opposite of me, the smile conquering over his will power. "I'll drop it." I gave him a slight nod in approval, shifting the weight of the box in my hands.

"Thank you, by the way." He looked up in confusion.

"For what?"

"For telling me I looked 'pretty sweet' in the dress." He matched my smile, shaking his head.



xxxxx

Daniel's Side



I always knew something had happened that night between Sam and Jack, I just wasn't sure what. It must have been something not too Earth-shattering; they were still talking to each other, looking as content as usual. But it was big. They avoided one another like the plague for awhile, although there wasn't any hostility in the action. It was like they were trying to cool their heels about something.

She had no clue what was happening. That, or she was very talented at masking her knowledge of the matter. The whole thing had been Jack and General Hammond's idea; disguise a surprise birthday party for Sam in a base function. She would have to go; it was mandatory, and that way we could celebrate for her.

After Sam helped me put away the artifacts, I went looking for Jack to see how things were coming along. It wasn't long before I found him in Teal'c's quarters pointing out the reasons why grown men subject themselves to tuxedos.

"I am not getting married, O'Neill." The Jaffa's voice was slightly frustrated. Just about as much as Jack's.

"I know that, Teal'c. I'm just telling you the situations in which one would wear a tuxedo. Now, is the collar too tight?" I stood in the doorway long enough to enjoy the scene without getting discovered.

"It is not." Jack was adjusting the black tie around Teal'c's neck, brushing off lint on the lapels before stepping back for a look.

"Sweet. You're one dapper looking Jaffa, Teal'c." Jack smiled wide, crossing his arms over his chest as he studied the hang of the jacket on Teal'c's large form.

"Dapper?" An eyebrow shot skyward as the Jaffa tilted his head in curiosity.

"He means you look good, Teal'c. Which you do." I said, stepping further into the room. I was surprised we had managed to find one big enough for the man; his shoulder span was greater than most, not to mention the girth around his thighs and biceps. Teal'c bowed his head to me.

"How does yours fit, Danny?" I still hate when he calls me that, but I've learned to look past it. Jack leaned back against the desk, crossing his feet at the ankles.

"Fine." I had worn enough of them for museum openings and gala events for fundraising, I knew when one fit. Didn't mean that my wallet could afford to rent one that fit, just that I knew when one did.

"She doesn't have any idea, does she?" Jack simply beamed. I started to wonder just how much it was his idea and not the General's, and how much groveling he had to do to talk to old man into it.

"Nope. But she's not to fond of the idea of another party." Teal'c removed the jacket, laying it carefully on his bed.

"How come?"

"Remember the last one?" Jack must have been suffering from the same lapse of memory as Sam; he just looked at me in confusion. I decided to prompt him.

"The Halloween party, you know, she dressed up as Hathor-"

"Oh, right." He looked down at his feet, nervously shifting his weight. Something definitely happened that night. "That." Deciding to drop it for now until I could come up with a better investigatory plan, I looked at my watch. Three hours to ground zero.

"How is it going to happen?" Taking Teal'c's empty chair, I spun it backwards to sit straddling the back rest. Removing my glasses, I rubbed my face. It's been too long of a day with not enough sleep, double the lack of caffeine, and the excitement running though my veins keeping me on edge.

"Everybody will be topside at eighteen-thirty, and I'll bring her up at nineteen hundred, followed by a rousing rendition of 'Happy Birthday.'" He smiled again.

"Happy Birthday?" Looking at Teal'c, I chuckled. The poor man was in for a shock.

"It's a song we sing to the poor person having the birthday. Usually very off key and as obnoxious as possible." Teal'c was still confused.

"If we are honoring Major Carter, should we not try to make it as pleasing as possible?" Teal'c sat on the edge of his bed, untying the polished black shoes on his large feet.

"Well, since most of us couldn't carry a tune if it was in a jar, we just decide to go to the other extreme. Embarrasses the person." Jack waved his hand.

"Do you not know that it is impossible to carry sound in a jar, O'Neill?" Sensing the steep downhill slide of the conversation, I decided to make an exit.

"I'll leave you two to discuss the high points of singing. I'm going to hit the showers before the ladies take it over." Smiling, I made for the door and I don't either of them noticed I had left.



xxxxx

Jack's Side



Goddamn ties. I hate every one of them, and this aspiring-to-be-a-real-one of a clip-on is not making my life any easier. More than anything else I despise getting into my dress uniform. Not only is it completely uncomfortable, but it just puts on display everything that disgusts me about the military. Polished generals in cozy offices pushing pencils, sending mere boys out to their deaths. I had seen it so many times before.

But I would suffer in silence like I always had. All you need to know is told to you; never ask questions. Tonight was a different occasion altogether though. Tonight we were celebrating Sam's birthday. Thirty-fifth birthday to be exact.

A lazy smile crossed my face as I fought with the necktie, thinking of how much of a shock it was going to be for her. She'd probably kill me for it later, but I didn't care. It would be a pleasant death if it was by her hand.

Somebody knocked as I removed the thing for the hundredth time, not able to get it aligned correctly. I couldn't remember the last time I had this much trouble with it; must have been my nerves and the excitement.

"Yeah, it's open." Mumbling, I sat on the edge of my bed to put on something I could manage; my shoes. The black leather gleamed with a blinding polish in the fluorescent lights.

"Colonel? I just wanted to give you this." Janet stepped into my room, closing the door softly behind her. Looking over my shoulder as I finished up the laces on my left shoe, I smiled. She was already decked out in her uniform; the blue wool of her blazer fitting nicely over her petite body and freshly cut short hair wisping out from beneath the garrison. Smiling at me playfully, she lowered the small tissue-wrapped bundle in her hand to the bed.

"Thanks Doc."

"This is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to see her face." She wrung her hands in front of her body, nervously pacing as I finished tying my other shoe. Standing, I shook my head, deciding on another attempt at the necktie.

"She's going to kill me, Janet."

"Better you than me!" Stepping closer, she batted away my hands, taking the tie from me. I had to bend over slightly in order for her to reach as she fished her hand down the collar of my shirt to pin the tie. Finished, she smoothed her hand down over it, adjusting the fabric, her face smiling in a gloat.

"Yeah, well, let's see you try it from this end, Fraiser." I joked, slipping my arms into the sleeves of my blazer. Like a mother hen, she straightened it on my shoulders, brushing off lint.

"Two words Colonel. Panty. Hose." She chuckled and I started laughing. As much as I love to protest when she's doing her doctorly duty on me, I'm infinitely happy that she's on base. The woman has a wicked sense of humor when she wants one, and on occasion, she has made this soldier blush. Above all of that, she's a close friend and a confidant.

Janet stepped aside and appraised my appearance, reaching to the chair to retrieve my hat. Tossing it at me, she moved back to the package she had set on my bed. Folding back the tissue, she smiled at the prize.

"Who knew you'd turn into such a sap in your old age, Colonel." Setting the cap on my head, I looked at what she had turned her attention to; a fat white rose. It was something I had conned her into getting for me on her way to the base. I was stuck on call so there wasn't a chance for me to get it. She had done very well.

"I thought you women liked sappy." Elbowing her in the ribs, I watched as she blushed, leaning into my arm.

"We also like beer. What's your point?" She flirted shamelessly like she always did with me when we were alone, brushing her hip against my leg. I played back.

"I'll have to keep that in mind, Doc. Maybe you'd throw away that harsh beside manner of yours for a more favorable one if I got you liquored up." I could hardly contain my smile as I said it to her.

"Keep talking, soldier, and I just might take you up on it." Janet picked up the rose, swirling it under her nose once before putting it into my outstretched hand. "Go get your woman, Colonel. She's waiting."

My heart stopped. Just what exactly did Janet mean about that? My woman? My fingers almost lost their grip on the rose as I swallowed harshly, forcing air into my lungs. Looking down at the flower in my hands, I had to admit it seemed slightly strange for me to be giving someone under my command a rather romantic gesture for a birthday present. Maybe I was even presuming Sam liked roses. Staring down into the olive drab blanket on my bed, my mind did a fast rewind, and my heart stopped again.

Halloween. Red dress. Greek food. Whiskey. Carnal knowledge of one particular Major-at-that-time-Captain. Oh God. It wasn't exactly something I had forgotten, but I did certainly try. For her sake, for both of us. I quickly began to second-guess the whole idea of bringing her the rose. Would she think I wanted to start things up again?

"Colonel, are you alright?" Janet placed a hand on my arm, her voice thick with concern. I licked my lips with a suddenly dry tongue, trying to formulate an answer.

"Yeah. Just a little constricted in this uniform." I managed a weak smile for her benefit. I looked down into her deep wide eyes, and could barely keep the river of words pouring from my mouth. Her lips pouted slightly before they parted, giving me slight grin.

"Jack, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. I just know how much she means to you." She wasn't making matters any better. I was desperately trying to ignore the nagging little voice in the back of my mind telling me Janet knew more than she was letting on. Had Sam told her? I doubted it, but Janet could smell a good plot from a mile away.

"Not any more than Daniel or Teal'c." It was a lie and the truth. I cared for my entire team the same, Sam, just a bit different. Perhaps it was because I had a few chivalrous bones in my body; ones she hadn't broken or shattered in her proof to be just one of the guys. And maybe it was because I harbored thoughts of our relationship one day becoming deeper.

"Colonel, and I say this with complete confidence, you're a horrible liar."

"Janet-"

"No, Jack." She sighed. "Look, it's none of my business-"

"You're right Janet, it's not!" I snapped a little too harshly. It didn't even faze her.

"But, I think you have to look over that thick skull of yours and realize that she's probably the best thing that ever happened to you." She softened, the hand on my arm loosening its grip. "Jack, just don't rush into it." Little did she know.

"Janet, you don't have to worry. I'm not going to be getting down on one knee or anything. You know damn well I can't do that." I wanted to bite my tongue to keep something else from slipping out.

"Colonel, I know." She was getting frustrated, I could tell. Her pouts had increased and she glared at me, her hand tightening again on my arm. "Would you just pick her up so we can start this party?"

Janet turned me towards the door and gave me a push. I turned down the corridor towards Sam's room, watching as she took off for the elevator.

"Hey Doc, did I ever tell you I like short women." Flashing her a devilish smile, I watched as she gave me a very insubordinate gesture.

"With all due respect, sir. Bite me." Winking, she turned back around, giving me a show as she marched down the hallway. God, I love that woman!



******



I knocked on her door and quickly hid the rose behind the small of my back.

"Come in." Hearing her soft reply, I turned the doorknob and slowly opened it into the room, my eyes not able to help themselves as they took in the sight. She was finishing putting the small gold earring on her left ear, turning slightly to see who had entered. Giving me a warm smile, she faced me.

"Evening, Colonel."

"Tell me, would it be inappropriate for me to whistle?" I grinned wildly, watching as hers turned toothy.

"Never stopped you before, sir." Pursing my lips, I gave her the lowest wolf whistle I could manage. She nodded in appreciation, buttoning up her blazer. Reaching for her dresser, she snapped open the small blue garrison before placing it on her head. I couldn't decide whom I found more attractive; the dirty sweaty tomboy who held her own on the field or this beautiful grace before me.

"Major, it would be an honor if I could escort you topside."

"Why, thank you Colonel." I extended my arm and hers thread through mine as she shut her door behind us. Spinning her in the direction Janet had taken, I bit my lip to keep another smile from forming over my lips.

"Uh, Major?"

"Yes, Colonel?" Her face upturned as she looked at me and I lost all thought as I caught her eyes.

"This is for you. Snagged it from the caterer. Thought you'd like it." I held the rose out for her, watching as her cheeks took on a glow that matched the slight pink hue in the edges of the white. Slowly Sam reached for it, her fingers brushing against my thumb before she took it from my hand. Raising it to her nose, she smiled into the petals.

"Thank you. It's beautiful." The color in her cheeks had turned violent, flushing her face completely.

"You're welcome." Leading her into the elevator, I pressed the floor button, watching with peripheral vision as she stepped away from me to lean against the wall. The rose was still to her nose, covering her red lips.

I wanted to say something, to explain the action, but I didn't have any clue what to say to her. Shoving my hands deep into my pockets, I watched the floors tick off. Looking down at my feet eventually, I swallowed, not remembering the trip ever taking so long. The silence between us was almost suffocating. Not able to stand it any longer, I tried to rack my brain for something witty to say to cut the tension.

"Good thing you're not allergic."

"Pardon me?"

"Allergic. You'd be sneezing like Daniel and then I'd feel bad." She chuckled, taking a small step forward.

"I'd be slightly worried if you were giving flowers to Daniel, sir." Sam teased, a wide smile spreading over her face.

"Well…you know." I shrugged and her chuckle turned into a laugh. "I just find the man so damn irresistible sometimes." Turning my head, I looked at her.

Sam was doubled up; laughing into the hand that was covering her mouth. Her whole body moved in rhythm, stopping periodically as she tried to breathe. Extremely pleased with myself, I watched in amusement.

"Oh God. That's a mental image I just did not need." When she had recovered, Sam wiped a finger beneath each eye, smoothing away her tears.

"Thank you, thank you." That was the woman I loved the most. The one who always found the humor in my jokes, improper or not. The one who always wore the brightest smile just for me.

Finally the elevator stopped on the proper floor, opening its doors to the corridor. Motioning with a hand, I allowed her to go first, taking my place by her side again as we walked towards the door outside. The guard rose quickly to his feet as he saw us approach, snapping to and giving an impressive salute.

Sam waited patiently for me to do what I was supposed to, being the highest ranking in the area. Smiling to myself, I looked at her, prompting her with another gesture of my hand.

"You going to dismiss the lad, Major?" Her blue eyes went wide in confusion.

"Me?"

"No, the Major behind you." Shaking her head, Sam faced the Airman and stood at attention. Raising her right hand to her brow, she excused him with the swift down stroke.

"Enjoy the celebrations, ma'am, sir." I gave her slight guidance towards the hatch with a hand against the small of her back. With her attention diverted, I sent the Airman the signal and he picked up his radio, telling topside that we were approaching. Giving him a thumbs up, I nodded my thanks.

"Nice night, at least." Sam squinted as we made our way out of the shadows into the light of the setting sun. My stomach started doing summersaults in nervousness as we approached the last curve of rocks before the tents. I am so going to die for this.

"Sam?" Reaching out, I touched her arm and she stopped to look at me. I positioned myself beside her again, wrapping my arm around hers.

"Yes?" A slight smile crossed her face.

"Forgive me?"

"What for?" She was confused, following me around the last bit of ground cover. Her eyes were still on me as the deafening roar started from the tents.



Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,



Sam stumbled as her eyes looked over the sea of smiling faces, leaning against me to keep her balance. I smiled wide as I watched her, her lips parting in a gasp.



Happy birthday dear DoctorMajorSamanthaCarter,
Happy birthday to you!



The last line was by far the most obnoxious; Ferretti and his team near the front and already partially inebriated, belting it out at the top of their lungs. Sam looked up at me finally, her large blue eyes starting to brim with tears. Quivering lips spread into a beautiful smile.

"Happy birthday, Sam." Squeezing her arms, I held her close.

"You are so dead." She whispered. I laughed.

"I kinda figured."



xxxxx

Sam's Side



It was all slightly overwhelming. Dad had even managed to come back for the party, and how they slipped him by me without notice I'm still surprised about. By far the funniest thing was seeing Teal'c in a tuxedo. The presents weren't half-bad either.

SG-2's, Ferretti's team, present was the most embarrassing. Somehow they had managed to make a replica of the dress the Shavadai had made me wear, sliding it on a Barbie doll complete with my cropped hair cut. I almost peed my pants; I was laughing so hard.

"Major, lift the dress." Ferretti smiled wide, tilting his drink at me. Slightly curious as to what they did to her underthings, I lifted the hem and started giggling again. On her feet where the smallest pair of combat boots I had ever seen.

"Stole them off of a GI-Joe. Thought it was appropriate." Standing, I quickly surrounded him in an embrace, giving his cheek a kiss. He blushed violently, the deep red quickly taking over his face.

"Thanks Ferretti, I love it." When I returned to my chair, Dad slipped a small box into my lap.

"It's from Garshaw and the gang. Small token of their appreciation, as she says." He had swapped his uniform for Tok'ra formal attire and he looked handsome in dark gray outfit. A little over a year ago, I wasn't even sure he'd see this day. Turning the box over in my hands, I put my fingernail beneath the line of scotch tape, carefully peeling off the paper. I lifted the lid and pulled back the layers of tissue, exposing a beautiful iridescent broach. It was made of the same crystals that created the tunnels but on a smaller scale. Deep blues and purples colored the formations as they jetted out from the base rock.

"Thank you, Dad. Please let her know I'm honored." He gave me a hug, squeezing me hard before letting go.

"I'm just glad I could be here." Whispering, he pushed me back and winked.

"Sam, this is from us." Daniel held up the gold wrapped package, a smile lighting up his face. Sitting down, I opened the small card that was attached to it.



To Samantha on her thirty-fifth:
A small token of our appreciation
And friendship.



It was in Daniel's neat hand writing and beneath they had all signed. Removing the card, I set it next to the Barbie, and started to unwrap the gift. It was heavy as a book and about the same size, and I couldn't imagine what it contained. Turning the volume over in my hands, I smoothed a fingertip over the embossed SGC seal on the cover. Slowly I turned to the first page.

My eyes began to well with tears as I realized it was a photo album. Daniel had taken all of his footage from our various expeditions and printed out stills, encasing them with small paper frames on the pages. Between the sections, he had written brief excerpts from his journals, outlying particular events from the journey. Everything was there. He had even included ticket stubs from the outings we had taken Teal'c on to expose him to Earth culture.

He knelt down beside me, a hand lifting to surround mine on the pages. Looking up at Daniel, I finally lost it, releasing the tears that I had kept back. Over the thirty-five years I've been on the planet, this was by far the best present I had ever received. Reaching out with my other hand, I touched his face and he smiled.

"Thank you, Daniel." I could only manage a whisper as I leaned forward to grace his cheek with a kiss. He moved closer, drawing me into a hug.

"You're welcome, Sam. Happy birthday." I handed the album to him as I rose to my feet, stepping towards Teal'c. The Jaffa gave me the most enduring smile I had ever seen from him, and I cried a little harder.

"Thank you, Teal'c. It's wonderful." I had to lift up on my toes to reach his cheek and he held me to him with one hand against my back.

"It has been an honor, Major Carter." He inclined his head to me when I stepped back and I couldn't resist. Moving forward again quickly, I pressed a kiss to his baldhead. The crowd began to laugh and I smiled at Teal'c, swearing I saw a flush run across his dark face. Turning back to Jack, I tried to compose myself.

"Thank you, sir." I gave him the same exact salute like I had three years ago when I first met him. He met the gesture with a salute of his own and I watched as his lips curled at the edges.

"Don't even tell me I'm not going to get a kiss, Major." Dropping his hand, Jack smiled wide, taking a step towards me. With a chuckle, he pointed to his cheek with a finger. Leaning forward, I gave him a playful peck as my hands smoothed over the front of his blazer.

"Happy birthday, Sam." He lifted his hand to cup it against my cheek, running his thumb beneath my eye to remove the tears.

"Thank you, Jack." I mouthed, unable to get my throat to sound. Colonel Makepeace and Major McPherson stepped forward, holding another present out to me. It was a bit bulkier than the others, hidden in a package the size of a shoe box. Makepeace smiled as I fingered the camouflage netting he had used to wrap the gift.

"Your idea, Colonel?"

"That's right, Major." He smiled wide, his face becoming the most animated I had ever seen it. "Bit of a joint present from SG-3 and SG-7." McPherson smiled as his Science team stepped closer to watch the revealing. I had to tear though the wrapping in order to get at the box and even then they had tapped it shut with enough grafter's tape to make it water proof. After five minutes of struggling with the package, I accepted Makepeace's knife to cut it open.

Digging through more netting, I lifted the prize they had tucked in side, instantly confused. In my hand rested a Zat'nik'atel; smooth and polished in it's disengaged state. Moving my finger from the trigger, I turned it around to look at the barrel, noticing the larger bore.

"Major, press the trigger." My eyes passed between Makepeace and McPherson, not quite sure what they were up to. Shrugging my shoulders, I pointed it to the ground, waiting until everybody took a step back. One press on the trigger activated it, raising it to its ready position. Another press was supposed to discharge it, but it didn't go off.

"Look at the barrel." McPherson smiled wide, pointing. Carefully I turned it around to look at the wider hole and started laughing. Lifting my other hand, I took the small piece of candy from the end and slipped it into my mouth.

"It's a Pez dispenser!" Daniel said in surprise, moving closer. I handed it to him for study, watching as he passed it through his hands.

"What is a Pez dispenser, Daniel?" Teal'c asked, watching in concern as the anthropologist pointed the stripped weapon at his face and pressed the trigger. With a small click, it produced a small red pellet. He chuckled, turning the Zat for the Jaffa's inspection.

"Pez are little candies. Usually you put them in something called a Pez dispenser that releases one at a time when you flip back the character's head." Daniel 'zatted' out a candy into Teal'c's large palm. The Jaffa looked on in amusement.

"We can't figure out for the life of us how they actually work, but that doesn't mean we can't reverse engineer it into a Pez dispenser." McPherson smiled wide and I thanked them all warmly for the unique present.

Looking down at the bounty at my feet, I wanted to cry again. I was a damn lucky woman to have such caring friends. Everybody's gift was so thoughtful or fitting, from the gag bulls-eyed jacket SG-6 gave me to my own personalized medical gown for the infirmary courtesy of SG-12. My fingers smoothed over the rich leather bound photo album my team had given me and I suddenly realized that it was my family album. That's how much those three meant to me; they were like brothers. I looked at them again, standing close as they watched me, always within arms reach if I ever needed anything. Thank you, God. Thank you for my father and for those three glorious men.



******



My hand flipped over a new leaf, revealing the second mission to Cimmera. Daniel's layout pictured our journey to seek out Thor's Might and to repair the damage we had done to the planet's Goa'uld defenses. Smoothing my fingers over his careful script, I began to read:



God, am I ever glad Sam is as intelligent as she is.



I smiled wide, chuckling to myself.



If it weren't for her, we would probably still be in that cave and Gairwyn's planet destroyed. I understood the runes, but she was the one who put together what it had all meant. Mathematics has never been my strong suit, and if it had been left to me to figure out that 3, 14, 15, and 9 was really Pi, we'd be rotting away with Thor's hologram as our only companion. I'm not the least bit ashamed to say this: Sam makes me look like a mental midget on a few occasions. I wouldn't have it any other way.



My eyes surfed the crowd for the sincere man that had let me in on his secrets, watching contently as I saw him dancing with Janet. They were an insane pairing, Janet grabbing the poor man's jacket to pull him out on the floor. I instantly recognized the song as it began to beat out a quick pulse on the drums followed by shrill trumpets. Daniel rolled his eyes and tried to back away, but nobody ever escaped Janet.

I'm convinced something is going on between those two on the side. I know Daniel has Sha'uri and still keeps the hope alive that he will find her, but it doesn't keep him from confiding in Janet. They're practically inseparable, and I'm not sure if it's just because Janet is worried that one day he'll seriously injure himself, or that she's genuinely concerned for his well being. He's no longer the shy and slightly vain archeologist I had met on Abydos three years ago. I attribute a lot of that to Janet's help.



goody two, goody two, goody goody two shoes
goody two, goody two, goody goody two shoes



Janet slowly stripped out of her blue blazer as she gyrated around him to the beat, a large smile on her face. He blushed six shades of red and shook his head, unable to believe she'd embarrass herself. Stepping back, Janet tossed her discarded blazer over the back of a chair and faced Daniel again, a carnivorous look sizing him up. With an outstretched finger, she beckoned him close again. Unable to resist the temptation any longer, Daniel stepped into he arms, holding her close with a hand against her spine. Beginning a fast-paced two step, he twirled her in his arms before sending her down for a deep dip. Lifting a hand to my lips, I stuck two fingers in my mouth and whistled loudly, contributing to the blush on Daniel's face.



Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Subtle innuendoes follow
There must be something inside



The anthropologist and the good doctor were cutting up the rug so well; the rest of the crowd stepped aside to watch. Janet's hands wove up around Daniel's neck and quickly unfastened the bow tie, twirling it at her side before she tossed it wide. Catcalls and whistles encouraged her as she reached for the buttons to his tuxedo jacket. Daniel smiled wide and decided to play along, mirroring the curves of her body with his hands.



No one's gonna tell me
What's wrong or what's right
Or tell me who to eat with sleep with
Or that I've won the big fight big fight



When the song finally ended, they were both out of breath and leaning heavily on each other, sharing words. Janet gave him a healthy hug and he returned the gesture, laughing at whatever joke she had told him. I found myself smiling wide as I observed, feeling an overwhelming joy that they could get along so well together. It was cute to watch how they interacted like the best of friends.

A slow song started and I turned back to my album as I saw Janet and Daniel disappear through the mass of people for the bar. A portrait of Teal'c, Drey-Auc, and Rya'c covered the entire page, taken just before they went through the gate to the Land of Light. It was a desperate time for the Jaffa; the thought of loosing his son to Apophis had created an urgency in him I'd never seen before. Teal'c stood proud beside his wife, his arm spanning her shoulder as hers rested around his waist. They held their son close with the other hand, and the boy's face beamed with a heartwarming smile.

"Major, would you care to dance?" Makepeace's voice startled me, and I slowly closed the album before looking up at him. Extending a gloved hand, he smiled beneath the white cap, enticing me to join him. Nodding, I set the volume aside and accepted his hand, allowing him to pull me to my feet.

He kept a discrete distance as he drew me to him, a precisely placed hand against the small of my back guiding me in small steps, as he held my right hand. Not exactly my idea of a perfect date, but at least Makepeace didn't crush my feet. The Marine kept his eyes focused in front of him and I did the same, catching a glimpse of Jack over the red shoulder boards. Teasing me, Jack's eyebrows lifted in rapid succession as a smile spread over his face, indicating that he thought I was enjoying myself. Rolling my eyes, I bit my lip.



Where you are that's where I wanna be,
And through your eyes,
All the things I wanna see.
And in the night,
You are my dream.
You're everything to me.



Jack began to disappear from my gaze as we shifted to revolve in a lazy circle, and I couldn't help but sigh. The man I wouldn't mind dancing with to this song was half across the room. I had heard it before and instantly fell in love with it, something about it reminding me of that first burst of passion he had shown towards me. I was scared out of my mind, and excited, gazing up into the sea of stars above as he stood so close behind me.



You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers.
Take my hand, lead me there.
What I need is you here.



"Colonel, may I?" Makepeace broke our embrace as Jack tapped him on the shoulder, never looking at me as he asked to cut in. With a smile and a nod, Makepeace stepped aside, sliding my hand into Jack's.

"Happy birthday, Major." The Marine gave me a slight bow before backing away and I smiled my thanks. My attention was drawn away completely as Jack's hand around my waist drew me close, so close we touched.

"You're welcome." Rescued, I smiled. The man before me whispered softly into my ear as he pulled my hand to his chest, wrapping his fingers around mine. It was very far from what I expected and I was pleasantly delighted. Drawing him closer, I stretched my arm over his shoulder and cupped the back of his neck with a cool hand, feeling like it was where I was supposed to be.



I can't forget the taste of your mouth.
From your lips all the Heavens pour out.
I can't forget when we are one.
With you alone, I am free.



We were so unmilitary in our dance; the closeness of our bodies like that of two lovers. I closed my eyes as I rested my cheek against his, not wanting to destroy the moment by finding a disgusted look on a face in the crowd. I could deal with that after the dance, but for now, we were man and woman enjoying the feel of each other close.



Every day, every night, you alone,
You're the love of my life.



When had we turned down this path? When had it become so painful to be away from him for any length of time, only to be comforted with joy when he returned? I would gladly give up my life for him at any time, and the thought didn't even frighten me. Jack's arm around my waist held me tighter.

"You are more beautiful every day I see you, Sam." He whispered into my neck, his hand squeezing mine. "I'm happy to have you beside me and on my team. You've given me life to look forward to living again."



Every day, every night, you alone,
You're the love of my life. We go dancing in the moonlight,
With the starlight in your eyes.
We go dancing till the sunrise.
You and me, we're gonna dance, dance, dance....



The music increased its pace, but he didn't care. We kept moving at our own slow speed and my head began to feel light as I thought of what he had just said to me.

"You realize they're all looking at us, dancing together. But you know what, Jack? I don't care. You're my best friend, which means a hell of a lot more than you being my CO." I whispered back, feeling his arm around me constrict again in agreement. I felt myself wading out into the deep ocean again of intimate thought, not having a care in the world. I might drown, but I'd die happy knowing he was in my arms.



xxxxx

Daniel's Side



"SG-1? What's this, Daniel?" We had all gathered around Sam, watching as she flipped through the pages of the album to the very last. Smiling, I looked at her as she tapped her fingers on the empty frame within the page. I was ecstatic; she hadn't let the thing out of her sight the entire night, except to dance with Jack.

I hadn't even noticed they were dancing together until Janet pointed it out, her hand tapping on my shoulder to get my attention. They were so close together, I don't even think a crow bar could have pried them apart. Smiling, I looked down at Janet and she began to nod. We both knew it was high time for them to start something.

My eyes quickly scanned the crowd, trying to see the reaction. I found Teal'c first, dancing with a tall blond from SG-6, concentrating to not step on her feet as she talked to him. Hammond wasn't a threat thankfully; his back was turned to the proceedings as he talked to Ferretti and Makepeace, telling old combat stories. Jacob's face was by far the most amazing. He simply looked on with a smile on his face as he watched his little girl dance quite intimately with her CO. The Tok'ra crossed an arm over his chest as he propped his chin up with a hand, absorbing the sight.

"Oh that. Well, that's a surprise." Sam looked at me in curiosity as I reached under the table for my camera.

"Daniel, what are you planning?"

"Just a little blackmail." Sheepishly I grinned as I stood. Jack closed the album on her lap, setting it on the chair beside him.

"Come on, Major. It won't hurt, I promise." He held out his hand to Sam as he raised to his feet, dragging her with him. Her face blushed, not sure exactly what we were planning.

It was simple. We were going to have our portrait taken on the same day she received the album to fill in that empty spot. Jack led her towards the west as I gave my camera off to Ferretti, giving him final instructions as to what I wanted. Nodding his head, he flagged me off with his hand, confident he was quite capable to take a picture.

"This way, Teal'c." The Jaffa followed me to where Jack had stopped Sam, spinning her around so her back was to the sunset blossoming in the sky. It was gorgeous and I hoped it would show up in the picture. Orange blended into fuchsia then further into a blood red hue, edging the plump clouds in dark shadows.

"Jack, stand on Sam's right." They shuffled positions, his arm still around her waist. Without hesitation, she curled her arm around his to touch the back of his shoulder, and I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling. They just looked so damn cute together.

"Good. Now, Teal'c, stand next to Jack." He complied, standing close as he clasped his hands behind his back, turning his head slightly to look at Jack. The slightest smile crossed his face and somehow I knew he was agreeing with me. Taking my place beside Sam, I stretched my arm out around her shoulders.

Ferretti stepped closer, dropping the camera case to the ground as he looked over the controls again. Raising it to his face, he looked at us through the view finder.

"Closer guys. I want to be able to get as much of the sunset as possible." He waved us to squeeze together until nothing passed between our bodies. Sam started giggling beside me, her hand lifting from my waist to smack Jack in the chest.

"Would you stop tickling me?" Lifting his cap off of his forehead slightly to reveal more of his face, Jack laughed.

"I'm not tickling you. It's Teal'c."

"O'Neill, I cannot reach Major Carter."

"Shh, you're not supposed to say that." We all faced forward and posed, holding each other close.

"Okay, on the count of three, I want you to scream 'alright.' Got it?" Ferretti lifted the camera again.

"Alright?" Sam questioned. "Not cheese?"

"Long story. Just do it and quit your complaining!" He smiled, taking a few seconds to get us in focus.

"One…two…three!" The flash strobed several times, sending out brief pulses of light to constrict our pupils and I yelled with exhilaration. Beside me stood the three people who exceeded my greatest hopes in what I'd find as a family. Unconventional, I know, but I belonged. I belonged to them and they were mine.

"ALRIGHT!"



******



Several hours and way too many drinks to count later, Janet had conned me into going on a walk with her. I don't quite know what possessed her; she was drunker than I was and on several occasions I had to grab her before she fell to the ground. Unlike some people I know, Janet is really social when she's had too much, talking on a wide range of topics from old college boyfriends to her latest speeding ticket. I followed on her promise that she had something to show me.

"Janet, where the hell are we going?" She clutched my hand and spun me towards her, lifting a finger to wag it in my face.

"Trust me, Daniel." We had made it half around the damn mountain and I hoped she didn't pass out because I just didn't have the energy to carry her back. "It will be worth it if my hunch pays off."

"What hunch?" Janet started off again, swaggering side to side.

"Shh, be quiet! You'll wreck it!" She whispered loudly, her hand still squeezing mine. Sighing deeply I decided to humor her, guiding her around a small bush she had described as a killer attack plant when she stumbled into it. I grew impatient as she kept slipping on the small incline she had decided to take, finally resorting to grabbing her around the waist to propel her upwards.

"Ooh, Daniel!" Janet teased with a sensual smile as her hands lowered to mine on her hips. Shaking my head, I laughed.

"Don't flatter yourself, Doc." She pouted and batted me away. "Besides you're drunk. I never take advantage of drunk women."

A sudden hand on my chest stopped me and I had to bite my tongue to keep from screaming as her nails sank into my flesh through the fabric. Taking her wrist in my hand, I pried loose her grip, scanning the horizon as I was about to question her.

My eyes spotted two rather un-treelike shadows, and I immediately shut up. The hand grabbed my jacket this time, pulling me down into the thick grasses beside the path. Pounding a line of sight in the weeds with my hand, I looked over at Janet before looking back at the level off. She was smiling like a damn cat with a mouse.

"Okay, so I'm staring at two people kissing on a hillside, whoop-de-"

"Shut up, Daniel!" Janet whispered loudly, smacking my shoulder with a hard hand. "It's Sam and Jack!"

I almost choked. She had to be kidding, right? It was probably just two Airmen working out a little sexual tension before they had to go back on duty. But not too many Airmen I knew were six foot two, having to stoop slightly to meet lips with a five foot ten one with cropped hair.

"How do you know?" I felt a bit embarrassed to be spying, their hands exploring one another's bodies as their lips brought their faces close.

"Remember the Halloween party?" How could I not? Sam nearly gave me a coronary when she walked into the mess hall. "Something happened between her and Jack when she went looking for him. Later she told me they kissed on the hill out back."

"No way!"

"Way!" She started laughing, a little too loud, and I quickly raised my hand to her mouth to stifle the noise. Playfully, Janet nipped at my fingers. Even in the half moonlight I could see her eyebrows wag suggestively.

"Janet, do I have to tie you up?" I smiled, losing my inhibitions in my drunken daze.

"Promise?" She mumbled into my hand and I had to bury my face in the ground to deafen my laughter.

"Two questions. What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?" Lowering my hand, I turned my attention back the scene unfolding before my disbelieving eyes. The two forms pressed so close I couldn't see the tree line behind them, the woman lifting up on her toes as she washed her hands over his shoulders. Softly they kissed, savoring each moment as if it was their last.

"Oh Daniel, you don't have a romantic bone in your body!"

"I do too! I just don't trust them when I'm drunk!" I wanted to believe her, to believe it was Sam and Jack kissing on that hill in front of me, but something nagged that it was impossible. It would destroy their careers if they were caught.

"You saw them dancing earlier. Did that look like your typical CO and 2IC relationship?" I had to admit that she had a point. The couple broke away slightly, pressing their foreheads together as they held each other. Would it be so bad if it was the two senior members of SG-1?

"Okay, so you got-" They turned towards the path and started walking directly for us. Quickly I grabbed Janet and spun her, rolling with her down the incline deeper into the shadows. She squealed in shock and I had to cover her mouth again. Clamping down hard, I hoped my black jacket would cover up her white blouse enough so we weren't detected. Burying my head into her shoulder, I listened with my heart in my throat for the movement of stones underfoot, distracted by Janet's heavy pant against my hand.

When the stones had stopped making noise, I looked over my shoulder to watch the pair walk towards the base. Out of danger, I released my hold on Janet's face, watching as she smiled in amusement.

"Uh, Daniel?" Giggling, she whispered.

"Yes?"

"Your hand?" In my zealousness to prevent our discovery, I hadn't even realized what I had grabbed to push her back. Suddenly very aware of the soft body part I had cupped, I lifted my hand and flushed, rolling off of her.

"Sorry." I apologized, giving Janet a slight pat on the shoulder before deciding to remove all contact from her. Raising a hand to her mouth, she laughed as she rested in the grass.

"That's okay. It's the most fun I've had in a long time." Looking at me with a smile, she winked, and I lost it.

"Oh, Jesus." Lowering my face to her arm, I laughed. She's shameless!



xxxxx

Jack's Side



I could hear the rain pelt on the skylight above my head. It was soft and soothing like a lullaby, pounding in waves as the wind changed directions. Suffering from my usual bouts of insomnia, I folded an arm beneath my head as it rested on the pillow. Watching the small rivulets trickle down the inclined glass I thought about what had happened earlier.

God, I don't know what possessed me. I lured her out on that hill again, hoping to recapture the moment we had nearly a year and a half ago. She looked at me with those beautiful eyes, smiling with full lips, and I wanted to kiss her again. I wasn't sure if I was imagining the emotions flowing over her face, but one can always dream.

"Look Sam, I…." My hands held onto her shoulders tightly, as if preventing her escape or vanishing into thin air.

"Shh, don't." A lifted finger pressed against my lips. Slowly her hand moved from my mouth to close over my cheek. She stepped closer and my heart went to my throat. I didn't want to lose her over some release of extra testosterone in my blood; she meant too much. If I couldn't have her, I'd still be happy just to have her close.

"It's my birthday, and you're not allowed to wreck it." Sam smiled. Her hand caressed my cheek, and I closed my eyes, savoring her touch.

I felt her uniform brush against mine before her body pressed close; the sudden touch exhilarating. Before I even had a chance to open my eyes, she pressed her lips to mine, her soft pressure testing the waters. Tasting the alcohol on her breath, the flavor of her lipstick and eventually the saltiness of her skin was enough to send my brain into flight. Sam hesitated at my lack of movement, drawing her lips away. Damned if I wasn't going to show her that I didn't want her to stop, my hands slipped from her shoulders to quickly wrap around her waist, drawing her to me hard. Her sudden sigh released a sweet breath that tickled my lips and I covered her mouth with mine.

Besides the obvious that it would be signing a career death warrant for the both of us, I respected and admired Sam, not wanting to do anything consciously that would hurt her. Halloween had been a mistake. I had neglected to notice the signs that she was not as interested as I was, and I think it shocked her.

My feelings had been genuine and they still are. She means the world to me.

Her mouth opened at my gentle insistence, parting her sweet lips. Sam's arms slid from my chest to encircle my shoulders, holding herself up as I began a slow exploration of her mouth.

Hands roaming over muscles of hidden strength along her shoulders down to her waist, I remembered that night she had decided to stay. For the first time in my life, I was scared out of my mind at the thought of doing something to upset her. Even if I had wanted it to be, the situation wasn't as simple as merely making love to her. I would have to wake up next to her in the morning, work with her, and for both of us, remember that the previous night hadn't occurred. I respected her wishes to keep my distance, hoping in my heart she'd come back to me. Dreaming of our night together and the possibility that it would happen again kept me warm.

"Jack." Sam said with a smile when we had eventually parted, resting our foreheads together. "Take me home."

"Want me to give you a birthday present you'll always remember?" I joked, my heart thumping hard in my chest. Was my angel returning?

"Something like that." Her hand found mine, giving it a squeeze. Stepping away, Sam straightened her uniform before leading my dazed body towards the base.

A song I hadn't heard in ages, played on the radio as I drove her back to my house, my brain still knee deep in hormones. The singer was referring to a chance meeting with a stranger that resulted in a beautiful one night stand, making a lasting impression on her. I could sympathize. I had been living on the exhaust of my one night stand with Sam for so long, it started to feel like a fantasy. The only thing I could agree with her on was the chorus:



All I wanna do is make love to you,
One night of love was all we knew.
All I wanna do is make love to you,
Say you will, you want me too.



Slowly I glanced over at the beauty sitting beside me, gazing out of the window as she leant against the door. I couldn't help but wonder if I was driving us towards another night of passion and desire that would only result in having to 'forget' about it in the morning.

"Jack?" The rain had calmed down to a sprinkling, sounding more like the surf lapping gently at a sandy beach. She stirred slightly, lifting her head from my shoulder to look up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Just thinking." Her blue eyes were sleepy and she stifled a yawn, her hand smoothing over my chest and stomach. Snuggling closer, she spooned my side with her body.

"Don't hurt yourself." She giggled softly, tickling my chest with delicate fingertips.

"Come here, you!" Playfully I struggled, drawing her lean body over mine before locking her to me with arms around her waist. She laughed, burying her face in my shoulder, kicking wildly as my hands began to torture her sides.

"No, Jack! Stop!" Grinding her palms into my shoulders, she lifted herself up enough to look down into my face, a wide smile across her lips. Feeling the desire to have those lips again, my hands moved from her sides to cup her face. Pulling her to me, I pressed a kiss to her mouth, drawing it apart as I deepened my conquest. Her hands on my shoulders relaxed, smoothing down over my arms, before sliding back up to rest against mine on her face. Pushing my hands away, she sat up, straddling my body as the blanket slipped from her shoulders.

A radiant angel presented herself to me, and I appreciated the sight. Delicate shoulders spanned into lean arms. The convex of collarbones casting shadows on her soft creamy skin. Shapely breasts gave way to a stomach and abdomen rigid with muscles. Perfection to me.

Sitting up, I wrapped my arms around her, smoothing my hands over her back until they cupped the tops of her shoulders. Her neck lured me, and I willfully surrendered, kissing a line to her throat. Moaning in pleasure, she slid her hands through my hair to guide my ministrations as her body leant back, exposing more of her to me.

"Happy Birthday Samantha." I breathed into her skin, savoring every moment of her being so near.



The End