samandjack.net

Story Notes: Title: What might've been... Maternal Instinct

Author: Jen Sweeney

Email: LtSChase@aol.com

Disclaimer: As always: Stargate SG1 and its characters are the property of Stargate Productions, ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, MGM Global Television Inc., Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Film Corp. No infringement on copyright intended. "Maternal Instinct" was an episode written by someone in the SG/Showitme world. Though very good, this is just my take on what might've been.

Status: complete

Category:

Rating: PG13

Season/Sequel Info: 3rd season, Maternal Instinct fill/follow Oh, and my story Home is... though you don't have to have read it. No wait, yes you do. You HAVE to read Home is... first! :)

Spoilers: uhm... Maternal Instinct maybe? and New Ground (in that Niyan is on Earth)

Archive: SJA, Heliopolis

Feedback: Sure

Summary: what might've been. It begins when Sam and Daniel are talking after Sam sets the charges. I wondered why Sam was being excluded from the meeting with the monk, especially once Daniel started bouncing ideas to her. This story skews from the episode after their conversation.


******



Sam looked curious, "Who is *she*?"

The monk bowed his head, "A question is best answered..."

"Stop," Jack begged. He turned to Sam. He could see the overwhelming curiosity burning in her eyes. That yearning for knowledge he'd missed seeing lately. He smiled slightly. "Why don't you stay? See if you can get more information from the cryptic keeper here."

"Yes, sir," she nodded. She slipped her gun off of her shoulder and handed it over.

"The path is clearer to one..." the monk began.

Jack broke in, "He wants you to strip."

"SIR?" Sam gasped.

"Shoes, jacket, vest," Jack said turning to hide his reddened face.

Daniel chuckled under his breath.

Teal'C and Bra'Tak ran in, "A ship has just landed."

"Work fast," Jack whispered as he passed Sam.







Sam sat facing Daniel with the monk between them.

"So she is like Mother Nature?" Sam clarified. "And he," indicating the monk, "has taught you how to what? Draw on her power to control nature?"

"Yeah, I think so. You still look doubtful." Daniel folded his arms defensively.

"I just wish we had more time," Sam sighed.

"Time..." the monk smiled.

"is of no consequence," Sam and Daniel finished in unison.

"Except we have a squad of Jaffa headed this way," Sam reminded. "And they do bring consequences." She rose and brushed off her pants. "Daniel I am sorry, but we need to know if the child is here. If he is he is in danger."

"Sam," Daniel followed her. "There is so much here we could learn. Imagine it."

She turned and grasped his arms, "I am Daniel. Believe me, I want nothing more then to stay and learn it all. But we do not have the time. We are risking all of our lives with every minute we stay here."

He put his hands on her shoulders and leaned over until his head rested against hers. He stayed there for a moment then straightened.

They turned as one. The monk had moved to a wall on the far side. Smiling at them sadly, he stepped through the wall.

"Wow," Sam gasped.

"I'll say," Daniel crossed the room and pushed his hand into the wall.

"Daniel," she called. "Don't..."

He stepped through.

Sam let her head fall back, "Should've known." She followed Daniel.

"Daniel what part of DON'T... Oh my," Sam broke off as she realized she was in a room with a floating bright light. She reached instinctively for a gun that wasn't there.

"She won't hurt us," Daniel said walking forward.

"Daniel," Sam warned.

A baby cooed and chortled.

"He's here," Daniel whispered.

Keeping a close eye on the alien being, Sam advanced to the baby.

"I've found him, Sha'ree," Daniel whispered. "I've found him for you." A single tear trekked down his cheek.

Sam slid an arm around his back and gave him a squeeze. She reached in and the baby grasped her finger. Daniel picked him up to lay in his arms.

"Isn't he beautiful? But his eyes are blue. Sha'ree and... had brown eyes."

He couldn't bring himself to say the name.

"They may change," Sam soothed. "Or it may be a recessive trait. Now they look like yours." She stroked the baby's soft cheek.

Daniel smiled as he rocked the infant. He looked up to the alien who stared at them with a slight smile. "Thank you. I will do everything... I didn't do it, did I? You did it all. You were trying to tell me you could protect the child. I wasn't listening."

Daniel gave the baby a cuddle and a kiss to his soft hair and laid him back down.

"Daniel?"

"We can't take him. He's better off here with her." Daniel turned, swept a tear away, and strode back through the wall.

The being began to float after him. Sam watched for a second then turned back to the baby. She reached in again and touched his hand. She caressed the soft pudgy fingers and smiled as he giggled to her. "Be safe, little guy," she whispered.

The being's face tilted in a human gesture of contemplation. She watched the interaction and the emotions that played across the female's face as she followed the male.







Jack started visibly when Daniel emerged from a wall. "Where's Sam? The bad guys are here."

"Behind me."

Jack strode out to where Teal'C and Bra'Tak had taken defensive postures. They stood firm as the Jaffa marched into the enclosure.

The monk ordered the Jaffa to leave as the storm started. He was shot down. Daniel burst out. It took some convincing but Jack nodded for the others to lower their weapons. Sam stepped into the doorway. Jack turned and gestured her back inside. Sam shook her head.

"Kill them!" the leader snarled.

Jack inhaled sharply and threw a fierce scowl at Carter.

The lightening flashed.

Daniel raised a hand and waved to the Jaffa, "Bye," he said somberly.

The lightening reduced them all to the same smoldering corpses as the others in the woods.

The monk's body seemed to sigh and released another being of light. Through the doorway passed Sam, came the first carrying the baby. Sam stepped down to stand beside Jack.

"That the Harsesis child?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," Sam whispered.

"Don't we need him," Jack protested stepping forward. "We're just going to let..." Daniel turned with a look. "No choice huh?"

Jack's radio squawked, "Colonel O'Neill, back up is on its way, sir."

"Take your time, we're secure."

"Aye, sir."

The being stopped next to Daniel.

"You know you have to leave. They will be back. Will I see you again?"

It merely smiled again and floated away. It was just outside the gate when the infant let out a cry. Sam took a step forward, then stopped. The cry escalated into a wail.

The being floated back in.

Daniel stepped forward, "Is he all right? He wants... me? No, not me." Daniel turned. All eyes followed the being as she drifted to face Sam.

The baby turned tear filled eyes, wailed and reached for her. Sam accepted the baby from the being and shifted him to her shoulder. He nuzzled down into her neck whimpering.

She was confused. Wanting what was best for the child. Wanting the child for her own. Wanting to protect. Wanting to nurture. Wanting. She had not been able to analyze the female.

Sam looked up and understood the expression. She'd tried to suppress it any number of times. Longing. Pure maternal longing. She smiled and started to remove the child's hands from her shirt. Daniel was right. This mother was best.

The being lunged forward. She placed both hands on Sam's face.

Sam felt a blinding pain through her skull. She gasped, "sir?" Her knees went weak. She tightened her grip on the child and allowed herself to fall backwards.

Compassion. Comprehension. Intelligence. Fear. Love. Worry. Curiosity. Concern. Sir. Daniel. Teal'C. Master Bra'Tak. Others. Images and emotions flooded her. So many things. Cassandra. Janet. General. Father. Sir. Daniel.

She sorted them quickly. Yes. She would do. She pulled back more slowly, sorrow for the harm caused. She formed the words. 'He needs touch. This I cannot give. You will do.'

Sam came around slowly. Teal'C held her across his lap. He had leapt forward as she fell. Daniel paced a few steps away, his hands going through his hair. Jack stood over her, his gun down but loaded and ready. The baby lay snuggled to her breast, sleeping. Her arms felt cramped, but warm and full.

The being floated up from her.

"Sam?" Daniel stooped. "Are you OK?"

"Yeah," she nodded and struggled to sit. "She said, we'll do."

The being flew rapidly to the gate. It let out a low keening cry then disappeared into the night.

"So I guess, we'll do," Jack said looking down at the child nestled in the major's arms.

They rose silently. Teal'C lifted Sam to her feet. They looked at each other, but their gazes all fell to the sleeping boy.

"Let's move out," Jack said softly. "Danny, Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Sir?"

"Shoes."

"Oh," Daniel said, looking down then around with an expression Sam knew.

"We took them off inside, Daniel," she reminded.

Daniel snapped his fingers, "Right. I'll get them."

Jack nodded, "We'll go take a glance around." He and Teal'C strode out of the enclosure.







Bra'Tak took Sam's shoes from Daniel, then took her by the arm. He led her to the wall around the entrance and sat her down.

"Master Bra'Tak, you don't need..." she protested.

He silenced her with a firm look. He knelt at her feet and lifted them one by one. He wiped the dirt off with the edge of his cape before sliding on her socks. He managed to get the boots on but sat peering at the laces.

"They tie," Daniel explained and stooped to lace the boots up and tie them firmly. "OK, Sam? Not too tight?"

"They're fine," she replied. "Thank you both. Daniel, did you grab my pack?"

"I shall carry it," Bra'Tak retorted. He helped Sam rise, wrapped her and the baby in his cape and led them out.

"You sure you're OK," Daniel asked worriedly.

"Yes," she nodded. "I'll tell you about it later."

They made good time back to the gate. Sam was glad when they reached it. She had refused offers of help with the infant from everyone from Daniel and Teal'C to Major Colbourne and a fierce brawny marine whose name she couldn't place. She couldn't explain the bond that had formed instantly between her and this baby. But she wasn't ready to relinquish him, despite his weight.







Jack looked back as the soldiers began flowing through the gate. He and Colbourne had moved ahead and dialed. The troops were moving fast, but not fast enough he worried. Sam and Daniel were bringing up the rear with Bra'Tak and Teal'C. Daniel hit the ramp just as a glider roared in the distance.

"MOVE IT!" Jack roared.

Teal'C and Bra'Tak took up positions at the base as Daniel led Sam up. Jack nodded Colbourne through. He tossed his gun over his shoulder and took Sam's elbow. "Let's go Teal'C. On three." Teal'C and Bra'Tak flanked them. "One, two, and three..." All five stepped through the gate.

Hammond looked up as a single form emerged. Jack and Daniel stood on either side of Sam, both grasping her firmly. Teal'C and Master Bra'Tak stood behind her, also holding her. And in her arms was a baby who promptly sat up and screamed.

Jack screamed over the din, "SHUT IT DOWN NOW!"

The gate closed with a whoosh. "Welcome back SG1."





Epilogue: Infirmary:



The baby lay on a bed chortling. Niyan stood over him, tickling his bare belly as Janet peeked into his ears and eyes. "Well my man, you are in perfect health!" She pulled him up into a sitting position, holding him there with a hand on his back.

"He is fat," Niyan announced. "Look at those legs!"

Janet smiled and stroked the ripples of fat. "I know. And no knuckles, only dimples."

The baby was gazing wide-eyed around the room. Suddenly he started to search. His lower lip quivered and huge tears began.







"I think she was checking me out, sir," Sam reported.

"As a prospective parent and guardian," Daniel continued.

"That's why she said, we'll do. Or I'll do, I'm not sure."

"Bottom line is he's ours."

Jack felt like a tennis spectator so he lowered his gaze to the table. Three months was a long time to be away. The two of them were so very much in sync now. It almost hurt to watch. He knew that it would take time to rebuild the trust but still.

He was yanked from his thoughts by Janet and Niyan entering with a howling baby. Sam leapt to her feet.

"Sorry, sir," Janet said. "He's fine medically but he..."

Silence fell as Sam took the child. He snuggled into her and smiled brightly to Niyan.

"... missed his momma, I guess," Janet finished.

"Sit down, all of you," Hammond instructed. "Major, I guess congratulations are in order. It's a boy I see."







"OK car seat, formula, diapers, blankets, sheets, bottles, wipes," Jack took a breath as he ticked off the list in his hand compared to the cart in front of him.

"All this for one baby?" Niyan asked.

"All this for one baby for one night," Jack corrected. "We'll need more. Sleepers, bibs, onesies, more diapers, cloth diapers, and the most important - toys, rattles, and a teddy bear."

Niyan gazed at the pile in wonder.







Bra'Tak stared at the bags in confusion. "All this for one baby?"

"For one night," Niyan added. "Jack says we will need more."

Jack had made two trips from the mountain to Daniel and Sam's house to get all of the people and supplies out.

Bra'Tak gave him a strange look as he returned with yet another bag and a small bear under his arm. He simply smiled.







Daniel knocked lightly, "Sam?"

Water splashed, "Yes, Daniel?"

"Bubbles or water?"

"Water, I'm out of bubbles."

"Good," he opened the door and backed in. "Someone wants to join you."

He laid the baby down and wrestled him free of the sleeper they'd rigged on the base. It was a military issue T-shirt wrapped and tucked around the small body. The infant wriggled and kicked, laughing all the while. Daniel rose and swung the naked baby through the air and handed him to Sam. Sam laid the baby with his back to her and let him slide down into the water. The baby tilted his head back to see her and laughed in glee. He kicked and slapped the water causing both adults to shriek and duck.

"Anybody actually getting clean?" Jack asked.

Daniel turned from where he was leaning against the tub.

Jack walked in before realizing that Sam was also naked in the tub. Then trying not to look or to look embarrassed he sat against the wall.

"So now what do we do?"

"You all leave so I can get dressed," Sam replied.

"I'm sorry, Sam," Daniel said.

"No it's OK, Daniel. I've grown used to not having any privacy," she hit him with a washcloth.

"Just not used to me," Jack murmured. Too loudly, Daniel and Sam's quick look told him.

Sam sighed and lifted the baby from the water. He shivered as the air hit and promptly began to pee.

They all burst into laughter. The baby grinned.

"Just like a man," Sam moaned. "So proud of it all."

"Of course," Daniel nodded and reached for the baby. "Come on, kid let's go see what Uncle Jack bought you to sleep in."

Jack helped him wrap the baby in a warm towel. Then held one up for Sam. She rose unsteadily. He had averted his gaze, but caught her unsteadiness. He wrapped her in the towel and lifted her from the water.

"Dizzy?"

"A little. Mostly tired."

He wrapped another towel around her and began to rub her dry.







They sat around the living room. Sam on the sofa between Jack and Daniel, the baby on her lap, drinking a bottle. Teal'C and Bra'Tak had taken posts in chairs. And Niyan sprawled across the floor.

"I could take care of him," Niyan said. "I looked after my younger brothers and sisters when they were small. And I'm on the base all day anyway. If I have a problem, Janet is there, or one of the nurses."

"We'll look into it," Daniel nodded. "For now, Sam could take maternity leave. It does fall under the Family Medical Leave Act."

"What Air Force Major adopts alien baby entrusted to her care by omnipotent being?" Jack asked. "I must've missed that clause."

"For now there is something much more important," Sam put in.

"What?"

"He needs a name."







Suggestions flew from all sides. Jack suggested John, Daniel, and Samuel, but was opposed. Teal'C and Bra'Tak agreed though it should be an Earth name, it must have a strong meaning. So the argument was tabled until Jack could return with a book of baby names. He was gone for an hour and came back with five.

"I still say Samuel," Jack sniffed.

"And what are you going to call him?" Sam asked.

"Sam."

"And what are you going to call me, and don't you dare say Samantha."

"Alexander," Teal'C read, "Greek. Definition, defender of mankind."

"Lot of pressure don't you think?" Daniel replied.

"Amadeus," Teal'C continued. "A great composer from eighteenth century Austria."

"No," Sam refused simply. "Keep going."

"What names do you choose Samantha?" Bra'Tak asked.

Sam studied the baby playing happily on the floor with Niyan. "I've always liked Nicholas."

Bra'Tak opened a book. "Nicholas?" Daniel helped him flip through.

"Nicholas, Greek, victorious people. Also the patron saint of children."

"Nicholas, Saint Nicholas," Jack's forehead furrowed, "Saint Nicho... oh I get it, Saint Nick."

"Not exactly the brightest crayon in the box are you Jack?" Daniel snorted.

"Ha, ha," Jack scooped up the baby, "What do you think? Nicholas? Hiya Nick."

The baby chortled and kicked and so was christened.

He slept that night in a drawer full of blankets on the bed next to Sam. Sam lay on her side, one hand curled around the edge of the drawer, her fingers against the back of Nicholas's hand. Daniel slept in his room, one ear listening. Teal'C and Bra'Tak sat in the living room, eyes half open in kel-no-reem. Niyan lay in his bed in his room of his adopted family and his adopted world. Dreaming of the wonderment of it all, and the new responsibility as nanny.

And Jack lay flat on his back in the bed, wide-awake listening to the breathing in the room. He turned his head to glance over the short barrier to the golden hair shining in the moonlight. Tomorrow he would find Charlie's old crib and things for this new baby. And maybe tomorrow he would tell her. Maybe.

His hand crept up and touched. Momma. Mommy. But not mother. Somehow he knew. Just as the man was not father. Mother had warned about Father. He would not let Father hurt mommy. For now the others would do to protect mommy. Until he was bigger. The world was scary out here. He whimpered and a face appeared. The man smiled and stroked.

"It's OK Nicky. Uncle Jack is here. Shh, mommy's sleeping."

So Nicky slept, safe, warm, and loved.



Jen S.
Maryland, U.S.A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one can hear, And live each day as if it were your last... - Irish Proverb

They tried to break us... looks like they'll try again. They tried to tame (us)... looks like they'll try again. - (Taylor, Taylor, Taylor, Rhodes, LeBon)