samandjack.net

Story Notes: TITLE: And Baby Makes Three

AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: ‘In The Line of Duty’ & ‘100 Days’

RATING: PG

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

SUMMARY: Sam gets some news that could shatter her world.

AUTHORS NOTES: This takes place about twelve months after ‘100 Days’. I think it may answer a challenge but I can’t remember which one :)

FEEDBACK: Yes please! Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 is owned by Showtime Networks, MGM/UA, Double Secret, Gekko, et.al.


~~o0o~~



Jack couldn’t help but smile at the sight that greeted him as he entered Sam’s office. Captain Russell had brought her six month old baby in and he was currently being nursed by his God-mother, Sam.

"I can see a lot of work’s being done in here" he quipped as he walked further into the room.

"Hey we’re working. Zac’s helping me with the Naquada generator, aren’t you sweetie?" Sam had the most beautiful smile on her face as she talked to the baby.

"No! Not another rocket scientist!" Jack said, feigning horror.

"I wouldn’t mind if some of Sam’s brains rubbed off on him" Russell defended. "Anyway I better get going. I only came to grab my wallet. I swear forgetfulness comes with motherhood."

Sam gave Zac a kiss on his cheek and handed him back to his mother. "Well we’re not scheduled to go off-world until Monday so I should be home for the weekend."

"Great. We’ll go shopping then. See ya both later" she finished as she walked out the door.

Sam turned and looked at Jack who still had a smile on his face. "What are you grinning at?"

"Oh I just love seeing your maternal side. You’re so great with him." He pulled her into an embrace and gave her a gentle kiss.

"You getting sappy in your old age Colonel?"

"Only when it comes to the things I love." He gave her another quick kiss before moving to sit on a chair. "I just came to tell you I’ll be in a meeting with Hammond all afternoon."

"What’s it about?" Sam asked as she sat in the other chair.

"I don’t know. Some meeting for all the team leaders. It shouldn’t go late. I thought maybe we could go back to your place afterwards and I’d cook you dinner."

"Wow. What’s the occasion?" Sam asked, genuinely surprised.

"Does there have to be a reason to cook you dinner?"

"No, no. Of course not. It’s just that you hate cooking."

He shrugged. "I don’t mind cooking for you." He got up and bent down to kiss her again. "I better get going. I’ll come and get you when I’m finished."

"Okay, have fun" Sam teased as he left.

Sam sat back and sighed. Her thoughts immediately turned to a topic that had been on her mind a lot lately. Motherhood. Jack had been dropping hints left, right and center about kids, and if she was honest with herself, she’d entertained the idea of having a baby on more than one occasion. But it wasn’t that simple. First off there were the Air Force regulations. General Hammond may have turned a blind eye to their relationship but she doubted the whole US Air Force would do the same.

Then there was her career. She wasn’t sure if she was ready to put her career on hold, probably indefinitely, for a child. Let’s face it, how many mothers made General? But by far the most worrying thing was that she wasn’t sure if it was possible for her to have children. After being blended with Jolinar her body chemistry had changed and that may mean she can’t fall pregnant. Janet told her that she could run some tests to find out but Sam hadn’t thought of motherhood as a major priority at the time. She sighed and rose from the chair and headed to the Infirmary. She needed to talk to her best friend.

"Hey Janet" Sam said as she walked into the doctor’s office.

"Hi Sam. Perfect timing, I’ve just finished my last chart."

"Great" Sam said as she made them both a coffee. Handing Janet hers, she sat down in the chair opposite Janet.

"Everything alright?" Janet asked, seeing her friend looked distracted.

Sam sighed. "Yeah. I’ve just been thinking too much as usual."

"What about?"

"Well... having a baby actually?"

"Really?" Janet asked, surprised. "Wow. You want me to run those tests?"

"I don’t know. I’m kinda scared. What if I can’t have kids?"

"Have you talked to Jack about it?"

Sam shook her head. "I know how he feels about it. I don’t want to get his hopes up if I can’t get pregnant."

Janet rose from her chair and held her hand out to Sam. "Let’s go and run the tests hey?"



####



Jack pulled into the driveway of Sam’s place, noting that there were lights on. He had gone to collect her after his meeting finished only to learn that Janet had already taken her home. After walking up the front steps, Jack knocked on the door. When there was no answer he took out his keys and unlocked it, stepping inside.

"Hey there you are. I thought you were going to wait for me at the base" Jack said as he walked into the living room.

Sam didn’t acknowledge him, just continued to stare into space.

"Sam?" Jack asked, concerned by her continued silence. He walked in front of her and saw her tears. "Baby what’s wrong?" He sat beside her on the sofa and enveloped her in a hug. He was surprised when she pushed him away and stood up.

"Sam, talk to me."

Sam shook her head. "I’m sorry Jack. I really need to be alone right now."

"Why? Sam I can’t leave you alone when you’re this upset. Just tell me what’s wrong. Let me help you."

"You can’t help. No one can. I just need some time to think."

Jack reluctantly nodded. "Okay. You know where I am if you need me. Anytime."

He walked over and kissed her forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too."



####



At 2AM Jack was pulled from a restless sleep by the phone ringing. "Hello?"

"Colonel? It’s General Hammond. I need you and Major Carter at the base ASAP."

"Is there a problem sir?"

"Yes Colonel there is. Just hurry up."

"Yes sir." Jack hung up the phone and then rang Sam’s number.

She picked it up after the second ring. "Hello?"

"Sam it’s Jack."

"Jack it’s two am!"

"I know, we’re needed at the base ASAP."

"What for?"

"Hammond wouldn’t say. Look are you okay? I can tell him you weren’t feeling well..."

"I’m quite capable of doing my job. I’ll see you at the base." With that she hung up. Jack stared at the phone for a second before getting up and getting ready. After they found out what was wrong at the base he had to talk to Sam. Something was definitely wrong.



####



SG-1 and Janet hurried up the ramp and through the wormhole. Their destination was Adora. They had received a message that Lara had been seriously injured in a rock slide and wanted Jack there. Jack didn’t want Sam to go with them. She had been so upset last night and so distant this morning, but she had insisted. And unless he went to the General, which she would never forgive him for, he just had to accept that.

They were met at the Gate and led straight to Lara’s home. When they entered the first thing that Jack noticed was Lara laying on the bed. Her dark bruises and bloody cuts were a stark contrast to her pale skin. The second thing he noticed was a baby, wailing from it’s spot in a crib. "Her name is Abegail and she is yours" Lara whispered, seeing the look on Jack’s face.

Sam gasped and it took all of her willpower not to flee or breakdown right there and then. She watched as Jack moved to Lara’s side, taking her hand in his. "How’re you doing?" he asked quietly.

"I am dying Jack" she stated, matter of fact.

"No your not. This is Doc. Fraiser and she’s worked plenty of miracles before."

"Hi Lara. Now I want you to tell me where it hurts."

As Janet started assessing Lara, Jack turned to his team. "Daniel, I need you to inform the General of the situation. Sam, take Abegail outside. She shouldn’t be in here." He turned his attention back to Lara and missed the pain that crossed Sam’s face.

Janet saw it though. "Daniel why don’t you take the baby. I’m sure it would be better for Sam to see the General."

Jack looked up momentarily. "Look *Doctor*, last time I checked I was the Colonel..."

"It’s okay Janet" Sam said, just wanting to get out of the room as quickly as possible. She picked up the crying child and she settled immediately. Sam walked outside before anyone could see her tears. ‘Why does life have to be so cruel?’ she thought as she looked at the bundle in her arms. Abegail looked just like her Dad. Same eyes, same nose, everything. She couldn’t handle it. She saw Teal’c walking towards her. She handed him the baby and ran off towards the river.

Back in the hut, Jack was demanding answers. "What in the hell was that about Janet?"

"What do you mean? I can’t believe you’d be so heartless after what she’s been through!"

"What she’s been through? Has this got something to do with why she was so upset last night?"

Janet stopped dead. "You mean she didn’t tell you?"

"No. She told me to leave. What’s going on?"

"Jack, we found out yesterday that Sam can’t have children."

"Oh God." He shook his head. "Why couldn’t she tell me that?"

At that moment Lara interrupted, her hand tightening it’s grip on Jack’s. "Jack. You must look after our baby. You and your Sam. Tell her to love her like her own. Abegail needs a mother that loves her unconditionally." Her eyes stayed open long enough to see Jack nod before they closed for the last time.

Janet checked her pulse. "I’m sorry Colonel, she’s gone."

Jack nodded, a single tear running down his face. "Goodbye Lara" he whispered, kissing her forehead. "Thankyou."

Jack walked out of the hut and saw Teal’c holding Abegail. The baby looked tiny in the big Jaffa’s arms. "Thanks Teal’c. I’ll take her now." He looked down at the sleeping baby. She was beautiful. Lara’s words rang in his head. "Where’s Sam?"

"Major Carter headed in that direction. She was quite upset."

"Yeah I know. Thanks Teal’c."

Jack walked quietly up to where Sam was standing, looking at the river. "Sam?"

She jumped at the sound of his voice, turning to look at him. When she saw the baby in his arms she turned back around. She didn’t want to hear it. How he wanted to stay here with Lara and his child, a child that she could never give him.

"Lara’s... gone" he said quietly.

"What?!" Sam said, whirling around.

"The damage was too extensive, there was nothing Janet could do."

"I’m sorry."

Jack nodded. "Yeah, she was a great woman. Come on, we’re shipping out."

"What about the baby?"

Jack looked down at the sleeping child and smiled. "She’s coming too. She needs parents don’t you think?"

Sam nodded and turned back around to hide her tears, but Jack had seen them. He walked up next to her and took her hand. "Janet told me about the tests. I wish you had told me so I could have been there for you."

"I’m sorry" she sobbed.

Jack knew she wasn’t apoligising for not telling him. "It’s not your fault Sam. Don’t feel you have to apoligise to me. I just want you, always you." He kissed her temple. "You know Lara never asked for my love, she just asked me to give her a baby. I think she knew that my heart would always belong to someone else... to you. So I gave her a baby. Now she’s returned the favour. She’s given us the chance to be parents. The two of us." Jack turned Sam to face him. "Look at her Sam. She’s a perfect little thing. She deserves two parents, a mommy and a daddy. You may not have given birth to her but you’d be her mother." The baby stirred then, big brown eyes staring up at the woman in front of her. She whimpered, reaching for Sam. Jack handed her over and watched as the two bonded almost immediately. The sight moved Jack to tears. "Come on, let’s take our little girl home."

Sam nodded and allowed Jack to lead her back to the Stargate where they started there new lives together as a family.



The End