samandjack.net



"And I'm telling you, I've never heard of this Lieutenant Tyler!"

How can General Hammond say that? He assigned Tyler to us! Of course he did. We can't all be having a joint hallucination.

Well, ok, we can. Been there, done that. But the point is, the Colonel's back there, on that planet, surrounded by Jaffa, and we need to go back for him. I only left on the understanding that I'd be back immediately, with as many reinforcements as I could round up in thirty seconds. Now Hammond, of all people, is trying to stop me?

No. I'm not going to the infirmary. I'm not going anywhere but back through the gate. I don't care if he court martial's me, I don't care what he does. I'm not leaving the Colonel behind.

"Sergeant, escort then to the infirmary."

In the time it takes for Janet to assess us, and tell us we're fine, he could die. I will not let that happen. Under any circumstances. I don't care that the man giving me my orders is a commander I revere and respect. I don't care that he's one of my father's oldest friends.

I'm going back for him.

"With or without reinforcements, we are going back, sir."

I'm disobeying a direct order. I've never done this before. I ought to be nervous, I ought to feel guilty.

All I feel is an overwhelming urge to get back through that gate and bring him home. By myself, if need be.

Without thinking, I've put my weapon at the ready. I'm going by instinct now, and my instinct seems to be I'll shoot any bastard that gets between me and the colonel.

This is mutiny. I don't care.

"The hell you are! Relinquish your weapons."

Beside me, Daniel looks around nervously, but he'll back me. Behind me, Teal'c stands, impassive, ready to follow my lead. If I decide to run back through that gate, to defy my training, defy my orders, defy my friend, General Hammond, if I decide to throw it all away to rescue the Colonel, they'll follow me.

Major Sam Carter, the woman who will not disobey the rules, who will not break regulations, is on the verge of breaking every rule in the book, exposing herself to certain trial and dismissal and God knows what else, to get Colonel O'Neill back home.

He's worth the risk. And I don't care how far they push me, I'm not giving up.

"Airmen! Major Crater, I will authorise the use of force unless you relinquish those weapons immediately."

Twenty guns are pointing at us, and it's a stand-off, me and Hammond. I've almost gone too far. Even the colonel has never pushed the boundaries this far. I'm not going to give up. I will not leave him behind.

Stalemate.

Daniel and Teal'c would follow me. The three of us, against the entire armed forces of Cheyenne mountain.

We'd die. I'd be responsible for the death of my friends. And no-one would go back for the Colonel. So I'll give in, this time.

But at least now I know. I'd always wondered, just how far would I go, if pushed? What were my limits? And now I know.

When it comes to saving him, there are no limits. No boundaries I won't cross.

I've changed today, in just those five minutes.