samandjack.net

Story Notes: I THINK I CAN SAFELY SAY THAT WE HAVE ALL HAD DAYS LIKE THIS. MY PAST MONTH HAS BEEN LIKE THIS. OH WELL.


It was just one of those days. One of those days were you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you should have never left the safety and security of your bed, but you do it anyway.

Well, Carter did it anyway.

*****

At some point during the night the power to her neighborhood had been shut off. And although she normally woke before her alarm had a chance to ring, this morning she just slept - less than four hours of sleep will do that to a person.

Ten after eight she woke with a start, realizing something wasn't quite right but not sure what, she bolted up in bed and started looking around her bedroom. It didn't register at first and she actually started to calm down, then, it hit her. The light on her alarm clock was blinking four forty-five a.m. and daylight was seeping in threw her blinds. Damn!

Reaching for her cell she dialed up the SGC.

"Colonel O'Neill, please. Thank you."

Double damn - voice mail.

"Sir, I'm going to be late. Power went off to the house. Talk to you when I get there."

Fortunately there were no meetings or mission debriefs this morning. There were only a couple of reports to finish and a mission synopsis to put together for PX7-787 as well as ten or twelve experiments to start and/or finish.

Twenty minutes later and with a couple of stubbed toes she was headed out her front door; and as she started unlocking her car door she realized she had forgotten her briefcase and computer in the house. So she turned and headed back toward her house, realizing halfway up the sidewalk that she had left her keys in the car door. This was just a little glitch in her day she thought to herself as she retrieved her car keys headed back to her house, and this time, retrieving everything she would need.

She drove to one of the local coffee stands to pick up her morning coffee and as she set the cup into the holder, the holder broke. Coffee spilled down over the console and then splashed up over the seat and her clothing, then crashed onto the floor. She just sighed and asked for some napkins to begin cleaning up the mess.

At least the rest of the trip to the mountain was made without further complication.

Making it threw security and into the elevator, trying to hurry without looking like she was in a hurry, she pushed the button for her level and started to breathe a little easier as the doors shut. It was only a couple of seconds before she realized that her jacket was caught in between the doors.

She managed to push the hold button before the elevator took her and her jacket for a not so pleasant ride. But, for whatever reason the doors refused to open, so she reached over, picked up the emergency phone, and dialed for help.

Twenty minutes went by before she was finally released and was able to make her way to her lab.

Colonel O'Neill was already waiting for her. He was desperately in need of the final copies of two reports she had to finish so that he could review and then sign before the afternoon mission briefings.

"Carter, glad to see you could finally show up."

Realizing he just went a bit too far he backed off. He knew she was going to be late and had also been informed of her *detention* within the elevator. It probably wasn't the best of mornings to say anything other than what was absolutely necessary.

So, in receiving the look of death from her he quickly apologized, "Sorry, rough morning?"

"I've had better, Sir."

"Yeah...I know you just got here but I really need those reports."

"I'll get on them right away, Sir."

"Thanks...Can I get you something, anything?"

"Coffee would be great, if you don't mind?"

"I'll be back in a heart beat," and O'Neill skipped off toward the commissary.

She smiled to herself and decided that maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all. While waiting for the elevator to release her, she had prepared herself for some flack, and even more so because she was now almost an hour and a half late for work. But she was grateful that the Colonel had stopped before he said something that *she* would regret.

"Major Carter?"

"Yes, can I help you?"

"Yes ma'am. Lieutenant Hillary sent me. Seems there's a problem with the main control and we need you right away."

"Isn't there anyone else?"

"No ma'am"

Great. Just great. "Alright, I'll be there in a moment."

Letting out an exasperated breathe she headed toward the main control. The reports would just have to wait. Hopefully it wasn't too serious a problem.

An hour later she made it back to her lab. A cold cup of coffee waited as well as a note from the Colonel.

'Sorry I missed you. Hope this helps. Need reports ASAP.'

Ignoring her stomach, which had been growling since she woke up this morning, she pulled the unfinished reports in front of her and then remembered she still had to finalize a detailed analysis of the elements that were brought back by SG-16. She already had two hundred and sixteen pages written and with the final tests being completed sometime this morning she would be able to finish the analysis before the end of the day. Assuming there were no more interruptions.

"Major Carter, to the gate room immediately."

"Oh god...now what?"

Leaving the reports for Colonel O'Neill unfinished once more and running as fast as was possible in the hallways of the SGC she managed to get to the gate room in record time.

"Sir?"

"Ah, Major, meet me in the debriefing room I need your help going over the report you submitted last week for PX7-819." General Hammond had just finished welcoming back SG-7 as Carter entered the room. Covered in mud and debris from who knew what, SG-7 managed to leave the gate room and Carter covered with the mud as they exited to head for the showers.

Carter looked down at her already coffee stained fatigues and let out another sigh. Oh well, she could get cleaned up after she finished with the General and after she finished the Colonel's reports and hopefully after she got something to eat.

It took nearly an hour before the General was satisfied with the interpretations and explanations of her mission report. It was actually something that could have waited, but who puts a General on hold? He very rarely ever questioned her reports so this was really unusual and Carter wasn't about to question his need to go over the report.

Trying to get to the cafeteria before heading back to her lab, needing just a little something to eat to settle her stomach before conquering her workload....

"Carter."

Oh great. "Yes Sir."

"Are you done with those reports yet? I really need them."

"No Sir. I should have them done in about twenty minutes."

"You said that over two hours ago."

"I know Sir," as she let a heavy sigh escape O'Neill decided it best not to push, knowing full well that the General had her in his clutches for the better part of an hour. So he just nodded politely, gave her a half smile, and walked back down the corridor to his office.

Skipping the cafeteria she quickened her pace back to her lab and the waiting reports only to be stopped one more time.

"Hey...Sam...wait up." Enthusiastic about something or other Daniel only wanted to ask her a simple question but he never got the chance.

"Daniel. Whatever it is...whatever you may want...it had better wait!"

He said nothing further. He saw that look, heard the inflection in her voice, and he just knew. So, he to gave her a half hearted smile, turned, and walked back to where ever it was he had come from - rather quickly.

She actually made it to her door and after steeping into her lab she was almost ready to cry right then and there. Two stacks of files were left. One stack was the completion of the test she was running to complete her analysis and the other stack were new analysis's that were scheduled to be started. On top of the second stack was a form stating the expected completion date for the new analysis's to be completed no later than 1600 hours the next day. Closing her eyes in frustration she pushed the piles to the side as they would have to wait. First things first and that was the Colonels reports.

She actually made it threw one report before, "Major Carter, report to the infirmary."

No...no...no...no...no.... Her head thumped on the lab table and then with a deep breathe she took off once again.

"Janet?"

"Sam. I need to get another blood sample. The lab messed up your last one, so..." Janet stopped immediately. Obviously this wasn't something Carter needed to hear right now. The evidence written clearly across her face that in no uncertain terms was this a good time. So she quietly put everything together collected her sample and let Sam get back to what ever she was doing.

As Carter walked back to her lab she remembered something - "Oh god, no," an experiment, it was still running. Quickly running her hand over her face at the realization of something potentially disastrous, she high stepped it to the lab.

The timer that was supposed to have gone off must have malfunctioned as the naquadah generator was still running and definitely for longer than the experiment had required. It was uncertain how the extra length of time would affect the results if any. But she was about to find out....

She ran into her lab just as a buzzer went off. And then, a chain of events, an unbelievable chain of events started to unfold.

As the generator went past the allotted time for the experiment a light burst forth from the machine sending a wave of energy into the room and threw the walls. The energy burst sent the base alarms off and several buzzers and flashy things on the computers and equipment in the room. It also sent the two reports, the two hundred sixteen page analysis and the two stacks of folders up into the air to scatter around the room. As a couple of the folders came down they landed on other pieces of equipment which started more alarms and flashy lights going. The mug of cold coffee on her desk from the morning tipped over splashing the cold liquid into her lap top and down onto the floor before the mug rolled forward crashing with out much grace onto the cement and shattering into a couple hundred pieces.

She managed to get to the phone as it started to ring off the hook, "Carter"

"What the hell is going on down there?"

"Sir, the generator went off by mistake. Not sure yet what happened. As soon as I know something I'll..."

She didn't have time to finish, "Major Carter, you just make sure this doesn't happen again."

"Yes General."

Slowly putting the phone down, she searched with dismay the catastrophe within her lab. She made her way back over to her table trying not to panic or let a sudden feeling of utter discouragement overtake her. After all, she still had one report for the Colonel to finish, a detailed analysis to write up, twelve new experiments, a mission brief late this afternoon, and now a lab to clean up.

As a solitary piece of paper continued its decent down from where ever it had come from, it slid across her face and down onto the table; she stared at it for a moment and then she lost it. Sitting down gracelessly onto the floor of her lab she just sat there, she couldn't move, couldn't figure out what she had done to deserve the wrath of whatever god or entity that seemingly hated her and was determined to make this day a living hell. But even more disturbing to her, was the fact that she just knew that she should have just stayed in bed today and got up anyway.

The Colonel entered her lab as the sirens were finally turned off and came to a sudden halt as he saw his major sitting dejectedly on the floor.

"Carter, what the hell just happened here?"

She didn't move, didn't look up, and just started shaking her head back and forth in slow rhythmic movements.

Not knowing quite what to do, he walked over to her and stood looking around at the mess and then back down to his 2IC.

"Colonel, is everything okay?" the concerned voice of the General now at the doorway made Jack turn quickly but he just stood there looking helpless at Hammond and then shrugged his shoulders.

"I'll leave this in your capable hands, Colonel." Hammond turned away pulling the door shut to the lab and barking out orders as he left to the stunned audience gathering around the lab entrance, "Nothing to see here people, get back to work."

Relieved somewhat that there would be no observers; O'Neill sat down next to Carter with his back supported by the lab table. "So.... You want to talk? Tell me what happened?"

Carter finally pulled her head up and looked into his eyes. Her body starting to tremble with her head still shaking side to side, and tears welling up, "It's just one of those days, Sir," with her voice faltering she let go the tears and a soft moan escaped her throat.

Pulling her into a tight hug, O'Neill whispered soothing encouragement into her hair and then just let her cry onto his shoulder.

This was just a rare momentary outburst he thought and knew his strong capable major would return to him in a little while. He would then help her clean up the mess, drive her home, fix her something to eat and send her to bed. In the morning he would take her out to breakfast and they could have some quiet time to just chat.

In the mean time, he sat there, holding her tight against his chest, and let her cry. He didn't mind, not one bit. It took him a moment but when he realized that he was holding his major, a smile started to spread across his face the size of Texas. He let out a soft breathe and squeezed her just a little tighter, "Its okay Sam...you cry, let it all out...take all the time you want."