samandjack.net

Story Notes: This is the result of a discussion on the Sam/Jack list. Not quite sure how it came about, but someone wanted to know why Sam always wears tank tops in bed, and of course it was suggested its because Jack thinks they're sweet. A fic was requested.and granted!! This is dedicated to my friend Ali, whose having problems at the mo. Love you loads hun. XxxxX

Season: Five

Spoilers: Broca Divide, Ascension


I rummage around my drawers trying to find what I'm looking for.

Ah ha.

I grab the desired garment and make my way to the bathroom to shower and change, ready for a very long day of nothingness tomorrow. Take a break. Yeah right. Take it easy? That is just not possible. All I'll be able to think about is how some annoying lab technician is probably taking apart one of my experiments and then trying but failing to put it back together right, meaning I have to start all over again.

Turing on the shower, I strip off my clothes and step under the hot water, hoping it'll go some way to relaxing me slightly.

My mind beings to wander again. All I've heard all day is go home, take it easy, and come back if you start speaking an alien language. Granted, I've been through a lot the past few years, but no more than anyone else. We've all suffered, been through hard times and lost people we cared about, but we got through it. I'm no more vulnerable than the rest of them. Just because I pass out they all think I need a break, when all I really needed was a coffee.

Snapping off the shower almost angrily, I get out and wrap a bathrobe around my body. The reflection in the mirror catches my eye for just a second, and in that second I see what everyone else sees. A pale, tired and emotionally scarred woman. In denial to myself, I step away from the mirror I take off the bathrobe and begin to dry myself, rub a towel quickly through my hair and then drop it to the floor.

I pick up the items I have been longing for all day. My PJ's. My big, baggy, worn in bottoms and favourite tank top. I've worn a tank top to bed ever since I found out he liked them, which I know is utterly ridiculous, but it makes me feel like I have a little piece of him with me. Some part of him is there in my bed, all around me, keeping me warm.

I grab my toothbrush and run it around my teeth quickly in my haste to get to bed and feel the warmth.

I rinse my mouth out and wipe around my lips with the discarded towel, then hang it up on a bar over the radiator.

I leave the small, secluded room for the comfort of my thoughts and then dreams in sleep. Switching off the light in the bedroom I crawl under the covers, lying on my back with my hands entwined on my stomach. I casually run my hands over the material and think of him.

Turing over onto my side I close my eyes and see his. Their brown depths almost causing me to drown in my emotions. Breathing in deeply I relax and fall into a comforting sleep dreaming of him and tank tops.

***