samandjack.net

Story Notes: I hate that woman, but it's not about that. Oh, and Suz, I'm sure she's the devil's child. No DNA needed. Thanks to the SG1 Transcripts Yahoo Group!

Feedback: Welcomed!

Date: 22-10-2002


"Fair day!"

Those two words made Sam snap her head back at warp speed, "*What* did you say?"

Jonas had never seen the look, which could only be correctly categorized as rage, on Sam's face directed at him before. He swallowed and said more quietly, "Fair day?"

"Where in the *hell* did you pick that phrase up from?" She had her hands at her sides in fists, her whole body had become tense and rigid.

"I've been catching up on some of the earlier missions that Dr. Jackson wrote in his journal about. He tried to capture the common phrases on each planet, and I remember reading one where the natives used to say 'fair day' in greeting." He tried to judge her reaction to his explanation and then ventured, "I take it you've been there?"

"Only briefly." She paused, relaxing just a bit, "Colonel O'Neill was there for much longer."

"Oh, right. That was the same place he was trapped on for three months!" His mind now working in overdrive, "By the way, I've been meaning to talk to you about that particle-"

"Another time." She turned back around and continued on her journey to her lab. Once inside, she closed the door and seated herself in front of her laptop. Staring at the screen that was still black, she allowed herself to remember the scene she had fought so long and hard to forget. His words, "No, I'm not." Not happy to be coming home. It hurt worse than his invitation for *her* to come back to Earth with him. But only by a little.

*****************

Jonas stood stunned in the hallway. The look of bewilderment on his face stopped Teal'c on his way to the gym, "JonasQuinn, is something wrong?"

Snapped out of his daze, Jonas shook his head and replied, "I'm not sure."

Ever on alert, Teal'c queried further, "Should we report something of importance to General Hammond?"

"No, no. I just had an odd encounter with Sam."

Teal'c raised his eyebrow to encourage the continuation of Jonas's explanation.

"We passed each other in the hallway just before now, and I greeted her with a phrase I read about in Dr. Jackson's journal, and I thought for a second that she was going to hurt me. *Really* hurt me."

"MajorCarter would not injure you without good cause." His eyes looked Jonas up and down, "Although I do believe she could cause you serious injury."

"Thanks, Teal'c." A hint of sarcasm lingered in the air as he continued on his way to get some lunch.

Now it was Teal'c's turn to stand looking confused in the hallway.

**********************

Still processing the conversations from earlier, Jonas absentmindedly bumped into Colonel O'Neill making his way out of the commissary, spilling a little coffee from his cup onto the floor.

"Sorry, Colonel."

Moderately disturbed, Jack gave Jonas a cautionary look, but said nothing as he started to make his way.

"I should have stayed in bed."

Feeling slightly guilty at his silence, Jack spoke up, "Come on, Jonas, it was only coffee."

"Yeah, but that look you just gave me, added to the look I got from Sam earlier, makes me think I should hide out for the rest of the day."

It still bothered Jack that Jonas called her Sam. That simple word conveying everything he couldn't have. Things that Jonas, or other men like him, could. "What did you do?" A trace of humor laced his question; she only got upset at pretty important things and the thought of Jonas irritating her made him just a little happy.

"I didn't *do* anything. Apparently she didn't appreciate my choice of greetings."

His puzzled face intrigued Jack just a little, "So what did you *say*?" Teal'c had problems with the language at first, too. It was probably something sexist like 'Hey, Babe.'

"'Fair day.' I mean, isn't that a nice thing to say. Or at the very least it's not rude, right?"

A dozen different memories descended on Jack at the mention of words he hadn't heard in years. *Her* words, 'Our two worlds are going to be...friends. Closer friends. Fair day and be well.'

"Ah, Colonel?" At least Jack didn't look like he wanted to kill Jonas.

Broken from his reverie, Jack realized he was lost in his own thoughts for a minute and quickly returned to reality, "Right."

Puzzled by the opposite reactions from Jack and Sam, Jonas decided not to use his new phrase anymore and go watch TV. He couldn't get into any more trouble that way, right?

************************

Trying to forget his own encounter with Jonas, Jack made his way past Sam's lab and noticed through the window in the door that she was staring at a laptop that didn't appear to be turned on. He opened the door without knocking and said, "It might work if you plug it in."

Her butt lost contact with the chair as the sound of his voice startled her from her thoughts, Janet's words still echoing in her head, "You miss him... Is this a problem?"

"Easy, Carter." She looked wound tighter than he had seen her in years. Since he had come back- Oh. Right. Since then. Damn Jonas. Whose idea was it anyway to let him on SG-1?

"Sorry, Sir. You just surprised me." Quickly turning on the laptop and grabbing the nearest doohickey, she made the motions of returning to work.

He retreated silently from her lab, closed the door behind him and watched her resume staring at the screen of her laptop asking for her login and password. She didn't make any move to type. He mouthed the words he never spoke then, "Thank you, Sam."

Her eyes were fixed at a point in the middle of the screen, not really seeing. A small voice that she hadn't allowed herself to hear then, but couldn't seem to silence lately resumed its chant, "Yeah, it's a problem."

**********



End Notes: That's it. I know the world didn't need another 100 Days fic, but... All feedback always welcomed, lisayaeger@hotmail.com