samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: scc@surfct.com.au

Feedback: yes please


The air was sweet in the midnight sky and the stars danced above the forest below. It was quiet in the woods where Sam stood. The occasional chirp of a bird didn't even faze Sam as she stood dumbstruck.

She couldn't move.

Her body was frozen to the leafy surface of the wood decaying carpet beneath her bare feet. Sam couldn't utter a sound. She just watched the scene before her unfold like a flower.

A small frightened child ran from a shadowed figure. The little boys face frozen in a silent scream. He was cornered and he looked to the trees above him for help. No help came.

There was no one to save him from the clutches of death before him.

The shadow swallowed the child in its black cloak. When he moved away the child gasped and fell. Ever so slowly the boy sunk to the floor and dissolved into a pool of blood. His green eyes staring at her helplessly.

Sam looked up, her throat choked with fear. The Shadow turned to her. Smelling her scent, like a wolf smelling its prey. The attacker removed his hood, but the shadows guarded his unseen features. Sam tried to turn away, but he placed a hard hand on her shoulder. He leaned forward and whispered in her ear. His voice chilling her to the bone and making her heart leap.

"Run Sammy, Run." Her eyes widened and he kissed her. His lips like ice against an open flame. To Sam it felt like he was slowly drinking her life away. He stood back quickly, breaking the spell that held her. He stared at his hands. Sam followed his gaze and found his hands covered with blood. Sam looked at her stomach, her mouth forming a silent "Oh".

He smiled, teeth glinting and stepped back into the shadows.

Her eyes scanned for his tall features, but he dissolved into the shadows. Sam looked down at the stab wound, the blood escaping her body, leaking her life away through her stomach. She sunk to her knee's slowly.

As Sam sunk into the floor, all she could hear was her own gasping, and the sound of his voice. It stung her ears and echoed around the woods, bouncing off the trees. "Run Sammy, Run. Run....."

Sam sat up with a start. Sweat beaded her forehead and she was gasping. Her heart was leaping in bounds and she was afraid it was going to burst out of her chest. She checked her stomach and peeled back the covers. Clean. She gasped in relief. Her room was dark and the radio clock read 12:15.

A scream filled the air and Sam jumped from her bed. Without a second thought, she ran from her room and burst into the lounge room. Preparing to fight anything, her dream still imprinted in her brain.

What she saw before her was not an attacker. Not a child dying. But 3 men sitting around watching the TV in front of them. Jack dropped his beer when he saw her pale features shaken. Fear inked over her face, her blue eyes scanning them as if trying to remember who they were. Sam sank to the floor, shaking.

"Sam are you ok?" Jack asked jumping to his feet to comfort her. She shook her head and noticed the screaming came from the TV. "Daniel turn it down." He ordered taking Sam's hand.

"Sorry, we didn't mean to wake you."

Sam nodded forcing a smile. "No, it's ok. I was just startled, that's all." She assured him. She realized for the first time that she was sitting clad in only an over sized t-shirt. She shrunk back modestly and he smiled.

"Sorry." He apologized, "You fell asleep during the movie so I put you to bed. So much for an Oscar winning movie, you where out cold during the previews." He nudged her in the arm trying to catch her attention as she stared straight out in front of her. "Sam?" He asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Yeah." Her voice was barely above a whisper. "Sorry, I just had a bad dream, that's all. Sorry, I guess I was more tired than I thought." She said before she took his hand and he helped her up.

"Speaking of tired. We should all hit the hay." Daniel switched off the TV and stood. "See you tomorrow?" Jack asked as Daniel handed him his jacket.

Sam nodded. "Sure." She smiled as they headed for the door. "Sorry 'bout falling asleep." She said embarrassed. They all just smiled and waved goodbye.

Sam locked the door tight behind them. She shook her head and turned the VCR off before heading to her bedroom. "Crazy dream." She said to herself and curled back up in bed. She felt bad that she had fallen asleep during the movie. She must have scared the life out of Jack when she came running in there prepared to fight. Stupid! She thought to herself and closed her eyes. Just stupid.



************

2 weeks later......



"Hey Sam!" Jack called up as he ran after her. They had just got back from a mission. A rather uneventful mission at that. There was just scenery, no natives, and no abandoned towns. Just forest. "Sam wait up!" He called.

Sam deep in her thoughts kept walking, until he gripped her arm. Sam screamed and whirled around delivering a punch to whoever had grabbed her. She gasped as she saw Jack stumble back, holding his jaw. "Colonel?" She gasped. She grabbed his hand. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you. You scared me."

Jack smiled understandably and laughed. "Guess so, remind me never to arm wrestle with you again." He said playfully. He removed his hand and ignored the throbbing at his jaw. "I needed to ask you something."

Sam raised her eyebrows and nodded for him to walk her to her room. "What's that?" She said smiling. "You want me to teach you how to arm wrestle?"

Jack grinned, but then his face turned serious. "Are you ok?" He asked her. A frown crossed her face as if she didn't understand. "I mean you haven’t been sleeping lately and when you do, you toss and turn all night." He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Is anything bothering you?"

He saw the flicker of something in her eyes before it was replaced by laughter. She shrugged his hands off and smiled at him. "You watching me sleep now Colonel?" She asked playfully and he grinned shyly.

"Well... I.. ah..." He swallowed. "It’s just when we’re on missions you kept yelling in your sleep. It's kinda hard not to notice it." He smiled shyly and Sam saw a blush rise to his cheeks.

"Oh, hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing. "She winked at him. "Don't want you guys knowing about my secret fantasy’s now do I?" She grinned and stepped into her quarters slamming the door shut.

Jack stood there shocked for a moment and then grinned. He rubbed his jaw smiling and practically skipped down the corridor with the smile still on his face.

Meanwhile Sam stood leaning against her door. She rubbed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief. She went over to her drawers and pulled out some tablets. Throwing two in her mouth she swallowed and shook her head. "Much better." She said and picked up some papers and started to work on them.



*********

3 weeks later..........



"I'll take watch." Sam declared as she sat at the caves entrance and left her friends to sit around the fire. Jack argued with her, as usual, but had lost his debate and went to sleep.

Daniel though, could not sleep. He was too wired at sleeping in a new and exciting place that his brain had trouble settling down. Instead he watched as Sam stared out at the forest below. Ever the soldier she kept one ear trained for sounds and the other on her friends.

Daniel shut his eyes as he saw Sam look over to them to make sure they were asleep. Once she'd looked away from him, he opened them. She was rubbing the back of her neck and rolling her shoulders back and forth.

He watched as she reached into her bag and pulled out a container. Rattling the pills out, she took out three and tossed them in her mouth. Swallowing as she did the container back up. "Sam, what are you doing?" Daniel asked speaking up and startling her. He had startled her so much that the pills went flying onto the floor.

"Nothing." She said as she scooped them back up into the container. "Go back to sleep Daniel." Her voice was hard and cold. He didn't like the tone at all. It was much like Jack's when he was upset.

Before she could react he grabbed the container and read the label. "Anti-depressants?" He asked looking at her. She was frowning. "These are the aspirins you've been popping like candy?" He asked worriedly.

"Give them back!" She said coldly. "It’s none of your business." Her tone was dangerously calm and she looked at him with all the hate in the world. Daniel was taken aback.

"Sam these are dangerous." He said shaking the bottle. "Janet didn't prescribe them did she?" He asked as she stepped towards him, reaching to take them back. He pulled them back away from her reach.

"Daniel!" She said sharply. Her eyes where set on the bottle and as she neared him Daniel felt the need to run. He turned away from her. The safety latch from her gun was taken off and he slowly turned around. He was met by her gun pointed directly at his head. The other hand was extended to take them back. "Now."

Jack's eye flew open as he heard the safety latch come off. He sat up and saw Daniel throw a bottle into the fire. Sam screamed and dropped the gun. Running she dove to the fire and without a thought plunged her hand into the open flames.

Jack jumped to his feet and grabbed her. She fought him off and reached into the fire for the bottle. She didn't seem to notice as her skin hissed and the smell of burning skin filled the air." Sam! No!" He yelled pinning her to the floor.

Teal'c grabbed her legs and pinned her down as she fought them. She bucked and screamed and fought them. Daniel stood back. She was hysterical. Even Teal'c had trouble as he tried desperately to pin her body down. Sam was screaming in a fit of rage and anger. Eventually the pain in her arm grew and she whimpered, slowing down her fit. She cried out and screamed as Daniel grabbed the first aid kit and tended the wound. But as soon as her arm was bandaged she began to fight again.

Jack finally ended up hugging her to keep her arm and thrusting body down. Teal'c wrapped his own arms around her legs and hugged them tightly. "Daniel what the hell happened?" Jack demanded as she tried to wiggle out of his arms. He pulled her tighter and clung onto her.

"She was taking anti-depressants and sugar pills. I think she's been using them to keep awake the last couple of weeks." He explained motioning to the flames. Sam whimpered and sagged. She cried out every now and then and wiggled.

"What?" Jack spat out. He looked down at her. She was trying to bite his arm so he'd let go, but instead he tightened his arms and she gave up. He could tell her body was beginning to tire as she slowly stopped moving. "Why?" He asked Daniel.

Daniel shrugged and they looked at Sam. Pushing back a strand of hair, he looked at her. Her eyes were now pleading and soft. "Please?" she begged. "Just one, please?" She cried.

Daniel fought back the lump in his throat and watched as his friends eyes clouded over. She growled and bucked. Teal'c let out a yelp as she walloped him with her knees and she arched her back. Daniel knelt and pushed her back down. She squirmed and wriggled trying to get away, but they held on.

"Major!" Jack snapped as she nipped him with her teeth. "You don't need one. It's all in your head." She stopped and sagged. Whimpering she turned to face him. Her eyes dropped and she snapped them open.

"Please! I don't want to sleep." She fought to stay awake as her body ran out of energy. "Please....no.... can't..." She cried one last time as she fought to keep her eyes open. She shook her head from side to side, trying anything to open her eyes. "No...." Finally her eyes closed and she breathed out. Slowly they started to release their death grip and let go. But just as they started to back away, she sprung to life and they caught her in time. Her strength was stronger then before and Jack found himself being thrown around.

They looked at her as she fought. Her eyes were closed, but her eyes where working double time underneath her lids. She yelped and cried out to someone and Jack tried to keep a hold of her. "Are you sure she wasn't taking steroids as well?" Jack complained as she almost managed to flip them.

One of her arm's freed itself as she thrashed upwards. She fought blindly and Daniel let out a yelp as she punched him. Somehow Daniel had wished he'd waited till they got home to confront her about this.

Daniel watched as Sam tossed and turned finally asleep. He caught Jacks eyes studying their friends strange behavior. She called out but the sound was muffled as she buried her face in his arms.

"Run!" She screamed startling Teal'c who was sleeping on her legs. "Don't....." She faded off and tossed. Jack's eyes now showed concern as she thrashed hitting him once as he held onto her.

"Sam?" He said gently nudging her, trying to bring her out of her nightmare. He nudged her again and her hands flew up.

Grasping tightly onto his jacket. Her eyes flew open and she let out a sob.

Daniel's forehead creased with a frown as she gasped for breath and threw him back checking her stomach. "Sam, what is it?" Jack asked, asking the question she had been avoiding for weeks.

She sighed, giving up on the macho act and hugged him. Daniel felt his heart tear as a cry filled the air and she sobbed openly in his jacket. Jack stroked her back and let her cry on his shoulder. Sam was shaking so hard that Jack almost lost his balance and he tightened his arms around her. "Shhh, its ok sweetie. Let it out. It was just a dream." He soothed.

Daniel looked at Jack surprised. He'd never heard Jack call anyone sweetie. Nor had he ever seen Sam cry like this. What ever happened in her dream had scared her deeply and shaken her. At first he thought it was just the effect of the pills, but her eyes where large with fear. Jack rocked her back and forward, soothing her.

Sam’s body relaxed, and the sobbing subsided. She pushed him back and he nodded at Teal'c to let go. He hugged her until she had stopped crying. When she pulled herself back together, she sniffed and pushed away from him. "Sorry."

"Sam, you want to tell us what is going on now?" Jack asked as he wrapped his jacket around her shoulders. She immediately stiffened and closed her eyes. Almost as if she was afraid to close them for to long, they flew open. "Sam I know something’s up." He warned motioning to the fire. "Anti-depressants?" He asked her.

Sam sighed. "It won’t go away." She said softly and wrapped the jacket tighter around her. She started shaking again, but stopped when Jack rubbed her back to calm her. Tear's fell from her face and she wiped them away stubbornly.

"What won’t go away?" Jack asked wiping away a tear for her.

Daniel sat up and handed Sam a tissue. She let out a huff, which was the closest thing to a laugh she'd made in weeks.

"This dream." She stopped and faltered blowing her nose. "It's stupid, really. Just stupid." She made an indication that she was fine and Jack lay his hand on her good arm.

"It's not stupid. Tell us Sam. Something has been eating you up inside these last weeks and if you don't tell us, it's going to eat you whole." He sighed and wiped away another tear. "It's ok. Nothing you say will be stupid."

She looked at him appreciatively. "I keep having this one dream. I don't know if it's Jolinar’s memory or something else. I just don't know, but whatever it is, it's horrible."

She sniffed and took another tissue from Daniel. "It's weird and bizarre. I'm standing in a forest. It's dark. I can't move. It's like I’m frozen like a statue. Then there's a little boy. He's running...." She stopped and sniffed.

Daniel could see that she was getting upset, but she pushed on. "He's running from a shadow. He looks at me for help, but I can't do anything. All I can do is watch. "

She looked at Jack as if she was pleading with him. "I try to help, I really do. But I can't. I'm stuck. He keeps looking at me until the shadow kills him. This.......thing, stabs him in the stomach. I try to help him but I can't...I just can't...." Sam's lips start to quiver and she sobs into Jack's arm.

He rocked her until she felt she couldn't cry anymore. But when she continued, she was still in Jacks arm, talking softly into his shirt. "Then the shadow comes towards me. He whispers in my ear, 'Run, Sammy, Run.'. I'm scared. And then he kisses me. But not really kissing, more like he's feeding on me. Drinking me. Then he breaks away and smiles." She sobs. She knew she was rambling, but she didn't care. He was right she was starting to feel better, and they were all looking at her tentatively.

"God, his hands are full of blood and I look down and it's me. He's stabbed me in the stomach. It doesn’t hurt but I feel so tired and I fall to my knee's. I try to breathe, but I feel like I’m being suffocated. He just leaves me to die. Just walks away telling to me to run." She finished and was hugging Jack so tightly that Daniel saw Jack gasp for breath.

When Daniel spoke it was quiet and comforting. "Is that why you took the pills? So you didn't have to sleep and you could stay awake?"

Sam nodded. "At first I just took one or two when I was worried. Then I found on missions that I didn't want to sleep, so I took them on missions only. I thought you wouldn't notice." She sniffed and looked at her feet. "I'm sorry, but I don't know what all this means. I don't know what the dream is about."

Teal'c spoke up quietly. "I do." He said, shocking Daniel as he looked at the Jaffa. Teal'c was looking at them with a look of guilt. His normally passive eyes were clouded with guilt. "That was the death of Jolinar's child. Martouf told me that they never found the killer. His son was found dead beside one of Jolinar’s old hosts. He managed to save Jolinar, but his son died."

Sam looked at him in almost relief. "But why did he say 'Sammy'? " She asked, her face regaining some control and color.

Teal'c shook her head. "I am sorry, but that is all I know."

Sam gave him a warm smile to show her thanks and she sighed, absently rubbing her stomach.

"God, it was so horrible." She said to no one in particular.

Jack squeezed her shoulders. "But why am I remembering this? Why haven’t I remembered before? And why did Martouf tell you and not me?"

Teal'c shrugged. "I do not know. He asked me if I had a son, when General Carter was receiving Selmak, he said that he knew what it was like to lose a son. That is how I found out what had happened." He saw Sam nod taking it in.

They sat in silence for a while until Sam yawned. She smiled and rubbed her eyes. "Bawling your eyes out sure takes some energy." She joked. They all smiled, glad that things were getting back to normal and that Sam felt better. "Sorry about your shirt Colonel. Guess it's not slobber proof anymore." Jack just grinned and rubbed his shirt.

"That's ok. I'm glad you feel better." He said quietly as they all settled back down. "But there's someone we have to pay a visit too."

"Martouf?" Sam said.

Jack nodded and they all lay back. They where all tired and exhausted. Even though they knew Sam would try not to sleep she lay down anyway. Daniel was barely asleep when he heard Sam whisper.

"Colonel, do you think you could hold me for awhile? Just so I know your there?" Her voice was shy and quiet and Daniel heard Jack shuffle and wrap his arms around her. Daniel didn't say anything. Nor would he ever. Unlike the rest of the base, he didn't believe in regulations. If two people loved each other then so be it. Regulations were for fools who didn't know what it was like to love someone. He heard Sam fall asleep instantly and he too followed that pattern.



************

1 week later.....



"Why didn't you tell me?" Sam asked as Martouf and her father stood before her. She scowled as Martouf placed his arms on her shoulders.

"I did not want you to feel concerned by this unsettling news. I did not think you would remember so much." He said ignoring the glaring eye of Colonel O'Neill . Which clearly read, 'Back off buster.' He removed his arms and stood back.

"I am sorry that I have upset you."

"Yeah, well you did." Jack said bluntly and ignored General Carter's amused eyes, as he stood up for his daughter. "Any other hidden secrets while we’re on the subject?" He asked coldly.

Sam looked at Martouf clearly, saying that she agreed with Jacks question. Martouf sighed. "No." He said. "There is nothing else that I can think of."

"Well try and think real hard." Jack said sharply frowning. "As pleasant as these visits are, I do not like my Major losing sleep and having nightmares because of some snake heads memories."

This time Jack did catch Jacob's eyes and he smiled giving him a playful 'watch your tone, Colonel' look. Sam didn't even flinch at the words 'my Major' and stared at Martouf just as sternly. Martouf looked uncomfortable at this transgression and shrugged.

"No." he repeated again.

Jack crossed his arms disbelieving and frowned. "You better hope not." He said bluntly and Martouf frowned back. Jacob smiled and hugged his daughter.

"Sorry about this Sam. Next time I hope we visit on nicer terms." He said glancing at Jack playfully. His eyes glowed and Selmak took over. "The Tok’ra apologize for such a disruption to your duties. We hope that you have not suffered too much pain from Jolinar’s memories."

Sam nodded. "It's alright." She lied and turned to Martouf and sighed. "I am sorry for your son's death, I’m sure it was hard for you." She sympathized and accepted his hug. Sam heard Jack snort behind her and murmur something as she stepped away from the hug.

"Well it's been fun, but we better get back now." Jack said sarcastically. He shook hands with Jacob and he leaned over and whispered in his ear.

"Keep an eye on my daughter as always, Colonel?" Jacob said teasingly. "I hope it’s not just her backside you’re watching." He grinned as Jack turned bright red and stepped back.

"Yes, sir." He said quietly. Jacob laughed and patted him on the back. Sam watched the exchange and gave them quizzical looks as they approached her. Jack avoided her eyes and her father smiled at her.

The SG-1 team headed off to the gate. It was night time now and they were all looking forward to going home and having a hot shower. Sam smiled as they neared the gate. Things were a lot better. She could sleep at night now, but only if she was on base. She felt guilty because she knew that Jack stayed on base to make sure she was ok. Suddenly she stopped. "Dammit." She said.

Jack turned around. "Everything ok?" He asked curiously as she sighed and patted her shirt. "What?"

Sam looked at him sheepishly. "I left the entry code back at the forest. I must have taken it off when I had dinner." She looked back at the forest they had just come through. "I'll be two seconds I promise." She swore.

Jack just shook his head. "Three minutes and not a second more." He said. She smiled as she handed him her bag and ran off to the forest. He sighed and told Daniel to take a break as they waited for Sam.

Sam looked around the forest, trying to remember where she had left the code. She saw it on a stump and ran over to pick it up. Strapping it on her hand she turned to go back. Something glided in front of her and she stopped. A figure glided towards her. Someone tall and defiantly male. "Sam?" They called out.

"Sir, that was barely three minutes." She said as she came closer to him. Suddenly she froze. It wasn't Jack in front of her. Someone else, taller, leaner. "Martouf?" She asked quietly trying to make out the person in the shadows. "Sorry, I thought you were the Colonel."

As she pushed past him he grabbed her. He leaned in towards her and whispered in her ear. "You should not have remembered." He murmured. She gasped and looked up. It was the same face from the dream. His grip grew harder on her and he pushed her against a tree.

Sam cried out as she hit the tree. She squirmed and tried to dodge him. She felt the urge to run, hearing the words from her dream. She tried to break free but he pinned her. His inhuman strength over powering her. She opened her mouth to scream out. "Jack!" She screamed, but her mouth was covered by his. She screamed into his mouth, and he only kissed her harder.

Panic welled inside her as she felt him pull her t-shirt up.

She squirmed when she felt the cold blade of a knife, against her burning skin. "Jack...." She screamed harder. She bit his tongue and he cried out. His eyes glowed and she screamed out.

"No." He replied and imbedded the blade in her stomach. She kneeled over and spluttered. He let go of her and she slid to the ground, gasping and spluttering. "I'll kill you like I killed Jolinar. She knew too much, and she told my son. It was a shame really." He said pulling her to her feet and looking at her. "I thought I had my little secret buried, but she told you too. She knew you'd eventually figure it out. I thought maybe you were smart enough to ignore it." He pushed the blade deeper into her stomach and Sam cried out. "Too bad you know. Your father will be ever so sad."

He dropped her to her knees and she cried out. "Sam?" Sam looked up as Jack came running towards them. "My god." He said, seeing her in a pool of blood. He took one look at Martouf and fired. Martouf fell back and he fired again. After he finished the round, Martouf eventually fell to the ground. He gasped out as his body shut down and his Goa'uld tried to heal him.

"What in God's name?" Sam looked up weakly as she saw her Father arrive from the tunnel and saw Jack gun in hand. Jack ran to Sam and pulled her t-shirt up. "Jack what happened?" He asked.

Sam felt someone pick her up and slowly the world turned black and she sagged. She could hear people talking and crying out . But the last sound she heard was the Stargate being activated.



************



"Owww. Stop it" Sam complained during fits of laughter. "Come on it hurts." She gasped out grasping her bandaged stomach. She pleaded with Daniel as he turned to Jack and said. "Jack, I’m flying, I’m flying." He held his hands up on the chair and Jack came behind him.

Sam had never laughed so hard. She'd fallen asleep during Titanic so they decided to reenact it for her. Jack playing Jack and Daniel playing Rose. Every now and then Teal'c would arrive to play some bad guy or some elderly woman and Sam would crack up harder.

Janet too was laughing, watching the display in the infirmary. She told them to keep it down a bit cause Sam was

still healing from her wounds. The wounds weren’t that bad, she'd been lucky. The only thing Sam had to worry about now was the scar.

"Colonel, you left out the kissing scene." Said General Hammond as he entered. He'd been watching them with the security cameras and came down to see what they were doing.

Daniel jokingly puckered up his lips to Jack and Jack glanced around the room. Daniel batted his eye lids and Jack shoved Janet in front of him. "You can play Jack now." He said and turned to sit on Sam's bed.

Sam grinned, eyes twinkling and patted his shoulder. "Thank you." She said to all of them as Janet threatened Daniel with a pair of scissors. They all smiled at her and Daniel as he got off the chair.

"I'm just glad your ok." Hammond said before he left. Everyone eventually followed suit and she was left alone with Jack.

"Thank you." She said quietly. "For everything." She said softly. He grinned and gave her a hug. When he pulled back she was grinning.

"What?" He asked as she smiled at him.

"I'm just thinking that I’ll never be able to wear a tank top again." She said indicating the bandages. Jack grinned and stood up, kissing her lightly on the forehead.

"Nah." He said jokingly. "You look sexy enough in that hospital gown that you don't need to wear a tank top to get some attention." He winked at her and left. Sam smiled and lay back in the bed. It was quiet and for the first time in weeks she could sleep peacefully.

Although, she thought to herself. 'If I pretend I can't sleep I can always curl back up into the Colonel's arms'. She thought evilly to herself. "Next mission," she said and closed her eyes.



*******

The End