samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: msjc_kaz@hotmail.com

SPOILERS: A Hundred Days

SEASON/ SEQUEL: None

CONTENT WARNINGS: Some bad language

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack Relationship

AUTHOR’S NOTES: What happened in A Hundred Days got me thinking. What would happen when Jack returned to find he was a daddy and how would everyone mostly Sam react when they found out what really happened on Andora, while they were working to find a way home for him.


"I really couldn’t believe it?" Daniel said as he and Sam walked into the briefing room. "I’m not surprised," Sam said. Teal’c was already there. "Where’s the Colonel?" she asked as she spotted that Jack wasn’t there yet. "You know Jack he can’t be early for anything?" Daniel said, "Well unless there’s a hockey game on," Sam said smiling at him. Hammond walked into the briefing room from his office. "Where’s Colonel O’Neill?" he asked taking a seat at the head of the table. Sam opened her mouth to answer, when Jack walked in. "I’m here sorry I’m late" Jack said, smiling at Sam. She smiled back, taking a seat next to her. "So where were you?" Danny asked, "I was just." Jack started, "game finish late huh?" Sam said, turning to face him. "Yeah" he said, Hammond coughed. "Can we start this briefing now?" he asked, "yes sir" Jack answered, opening up his folder in front of him.

"We just got the latest report back from Andora" Hammond said, passing a couple of files out. Sam caught Jack’s eye as she passed him a file. She could see that he was thinking back to the time he had spent there. Sam also had some not as fond memories of that time. Hammond continued, "We’ve already collected some large amounts of Naquada, from the soil. Which I have heard has come in useful?" Hammond said directly the last part of the question to Sam. "Yes sir it has" she said, glancing up at him then back at the folder in front of her. "The natives are benefiting from the education and medical supplies we are giving in exchange. Other negotiations are proceeding as planned". "Colonel" Hammond said Jack looked up at the General "you’re team is scheduled to return to Andora with SG-6 as your next off world mission"

"Yes Sir" Jack said not making eye contact with the older man. He was to busy thinking back to the last time he spent on the planet and the person and life he left behind. He did feel unwanted for a while, but until he got closer to Laira, the women who had been so kind to him. When Teal’c had come through the gate for him, three months later. He had already given up hope of ever going back home, so he had built a new life on Andora with Laira. He was grateful that they had gone back for him but there was still a part of him wished they hadn’t. And now going back is going to be hard. "If that’s it SG-1 be ready to depart for Andora at 16:00 tomorrow" Hammond said, standing up, "dismissed" Hammond said, walking back towards his office. The rest of the group stood and made their way out the room. Sam was about to leave when she noticed that Jack hadn’t moved yet. "Colonel?" she asked, looked up at her. "Yeah" he said, "you Ok?" she asked, "you just seem a bit distant". "Yeah Sam I’m fine," he said, standing. "You’re still coming to Janet’s party aren’t you?" she asked, he gave her that blank look he usually gives her when she explains something technical. "Tonight, remember. My place. 7 o’clock." She said slowly. He nodded "see you then" he said walking towards the door. Sam shook her head and followed.

The party was going great, Sam was rushed off her feet, collecting gifts, handing out drinks and saying hi to everyone. There was one person she hadn’t said hello too yet. Was Jack; She glanced up at the clock. 8:30 it read. ‘Where the hell is he?’ she thought as she bumped into Daniel. "Hi" he said "Daniel have you seen the Colonel?" she asked as she walked into the kitchen, Danny followed. "No I haven’t," he said as he picked up a sandwich. "He said he was coming," she said as she leant up against the side. Just then the doorbell rang. Teal’c answered the door it was Jack. "Colonel O’Neill" Teal’c said "Hi Teal’c" Jack said, as he walked into the room. Sam and Daniel appeared from the kitchen. "Hi Jack" Danny said "sorry I’m late", "don’t worry Sam thought you weren’t coming?" Daniel said, Sam elbowed him in the ribs and gave him a stern look. Jack smiled, "I said I was" Jack said, taking off his jacket "now where’s the beer?" Sam smiled, and pointed to the table of booze a few feet away. "Cheers, Drink Sam?" he asked as he walked over to the table. "Just a beer" she said, following him. "Coming up" he said, smiling over his shoulder at her.

Later that night about 1:30, the party had started to slow down. Many people had left or were too drunk to doing anything. Sam walked past a number of people slumped on the seats in her living room. She glanced around the room, then she noticed Jack standing outside on her balcony, leaning on the railing looking out at the distance. She smiled and walked up to the door, and opened it. Jack looked over his shoulder, to see who had come out. He smiled when he saw Sam. He returned his gaze back to the distance. "Beautiful isn’t it?" Sam said, as she walked up the railings "I come out here for hours just to look" she said, leaning on the railing close to Jack, he bowed his head. "I was just thinking that" he said, glancing at Sam. She smiled softly, he took another sip of his beer. "The party’s almost finished, some people can’t hack it can they?" he said and she smiled. "No they can’t, Daniel’s asleep in my spare room, he’s had a bit too much to drink" she said, he turned to look at her and smiled. "Danny gets drunk by opening the bottle" Jack said, Sam grinned. "What time is it anyway?" he asked her, "just after 1:30 I think". "I better get going," he said, taking a step forward to the door. "Fine leave me to do all the tidying up," she said, he turned and smiled at her. "It’s not that bad, you should see my place," he said, walking backwards to the door.

Sam stumbled into her living room about six the next morning. Clutching her head, it may have been a good party shame about the next morning hangover. She looked around the room; on her couch was the sleeping form of Jack. ‘I thought he left’ she thought as she walked over to the doorframe and leant up against it. "If you stare like that for long enough one day you’ll stick like it or he’ll notice" a voice said, into her ear. Sam jumped; she turned to see Janet standing right behind her. "Ssshh, and I wasn’t looking at anything," she said, as Jack turned over onto his back. Sam smiled "of ‘cause you weren’t" Janet said. "Go get some sleep, you need it and don’t worry he’ll still be there tomorrow" Janet said, smiling as she walked back towards the bedrooms. Sam walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. On her way back to bed, she took another glance into her living room and smiled, before going back to her bed. ‘Wish he could join me’ she thought.

SG-6 stood with most SG-1 in the gate room, late that day. Sam looked at her watch then up at the control room where General Hammond stood with Janet. "Where is he?" she asked, Janet shrugged her shoulders. Then the door opened, and in walked Jack. "Ok SG-1 and SG-6, you can depart when ready," Hammond said over the comm. SG-6 walked up the ramp, closely followed by Teal’c and Daniel. Sam was about to move off when she realised that Jack wasn’t following. "Sir" she said, "I’m coming," he said, re-adjusting his cap as he walked past her up the ramp into the gate. Sam shook her head, picking up the box and followed him into the gate.

The sun on Andora was hot and there was a slight breeze. As they appeared through the Gate. Sam placed the box she was carrying on the floor next to her. "Ok SG-6 you can go and do whatever" Jack said, to the Major. He nodded and walked towards the mining site. Leaving SG-1 at the Gate. "Jack" a voice shouted from behind them, Jack turned to see Garan running towards them. "Hi" Jack said, giving the tall lad a hug. "Good to see you again" Garan said, "I’m glad to be back" Jack said. "You remember Carter, Teal’c and Daniel" Jack said, pointing to the rest of SG-1. "Fairday" Sam said and Jack smiled. "Fairday, Sam" Garan said, "come on Jack, Laira has a surprise for you" Garan said, turning to head back to the village. "Ok campers lets go" Jack said. Sam picked up the box and frowned at Danny before following the group towards the village. The planet was beautiful as usual, the hilltops glinted with mid morning dew, and the sky was clear and very blue. As they approached they spotted a figure coming out the nearest house. As they got closer they saw it was Laira, and she was carrying a bundle in her arms. She smiled when she saw the group walking towards her. "Mother, they’ve arrived" Garan shouted, running towards her. She handed the bundle to him, as she walked towards the group. Her smile grew wider when she saw Jack, she rushed over to him. "Jack" she said, as he dropped his rucksack so he could give her a hug. "I’m glad you came," she said. "Why wouldn’t I?" Jack said. They finally parted. Jack didn’t look at Sam. It was a good thing because he would have seen the disgusted face she was pulling. "Laira, you remember Sam, Daniel and Teal’c" Jack said, "yes, welcome back," she said. "Oh Jack I am glad that you came back. I have a surprise for you" she ushered Garan over to where they stood. "I’d like you to meet Zara" she said, Jack looked at her "your daughter" he looked at her then down at the child. Sam drew in a big breath in surprise. Garan handed Jack the bundle, who was still in shock, he looked down at the tiny bundle, who was gurgling happy in his arms. He looked up at the group next to him. First at Danny who was a little surprised, but he smiled as he caught Jack’s eye. Jack looked at Teal’c who nodded his head, in some form of congratulations. Then he looked at Sam, she looked very surprised and shocked. She looked up and he caught her eye for only a split second, before her head, returned to the floor. "Are you not happy?" Laira asked, drawing Jack’s attention away from Sam. "Yeah of ‘cause I am, I am just a little shocked" he said, he looked back at Sam. Who was walking off towards the village; "Carter" he shouted. "I’m just going to see if SG-6 need any help" she said over her shoulder, Jack looked at Daniel who just shrugged his shoulders. "Is Sam Ok?" Laira asked Jack. "Yeah just a little shocked as I am" he said, as he saw Sam’s disappearing figure.

As night fell in the small village, music and laughter could be heard coming from a house on the edge of the village. The party was in full swing; everyone was enjoying himself or herself. Jack had gotton over the shock and was starting to enjoy himself. The whole village had turned up to welcome back the visitors and their old friend. Sam sat in the corner of the room watching the crowd around Jack and Laira, and their child. She wiped a tear from her eye. Jack glanced through the crowded to where she sat, he smiled, she didn’t look at him. "Sam’s been quite?" Jack asked leaning over towards Daniel. "She’s just a bit shock by the news," Daniel said. Just then Sam stood and walked through the crowed over to the door. She looked over in Jack’s direction before stepping out the door. Jack handed Zara over to Daniel. "Here Danny have a hold. I’m just going to talk to Sam" Jack said, standing up, "Jack don’t" Daniel shouted. But Jack had already pushed through the crowd to the door and outside.

The sky was clear and starry. The air was crisp and fresh. Sam walked through the village, not really caring where she was going. She came to the edge of the village, to where an embankment looked over the mountains and the hills of the planet. She looked over at the distance, as she sank to the floor, the tears began to fall. It was hard, she knew he had started a new life here, but this was different. She thought that he could leave it behind, but now that’s not possible. She heard a branch snap, behind her. "Carter" Jack shouted, she moved further down the embankment, so he couldn’t find her. She didn’t want him to see how much this was affecting her. "Sam your missing the party" he shouted, he was getting closer to where she sat. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve, trying to remove some of the tears from her face. "Even though your not really the life of it" he said, "come on Sam". He said as he reached the embankment, that over looked the mountains and where Sam sat. "Beautiful isn’t it, I can see why you didn’t want to leave" he heard her say, then he saw her, well the moon light shining off her head and body. He stepped closer to where she was. "Yeah" he said, "I thought that the first time I sat here, I just sat here and watched the sky. It was always clear, and you could see them clearly just like tonight" he said, tilting his head back to look up at the sky. He noticed that Sam hadn’t looked up, she was still focused on the distance. "Sam what’s wrong?" he finally asked her turning to look at her face in profile. "There’s nothing wrong, I’m just not in the party mood," she said, bunching her knees up to her chest, hugging them protectively. "Sir I think I should return through the Gate first thing in the morning. I’m not need here," she said, Jack sighed. "Fine if that’s what you think" he said, looking out at the distance "only on one condition" he said, turning his body to face her. Sam shifted uncomfortably in her spot. "You tell me what’s wrong?" he said. He returned his gaze to the distance; Sam bowed her head and looked at the floor. "You’re wondering what happened between me and Laira?" he asked, "Aren’t you" she turned to face him. Hoping he wouldn’t notice the tears in her eyes. As she looked into his she could see that they were warm and friendly even in the dark. "Sir that’s none of my business, it’s your private life. I shouldn’t interfere," she said not very convincingly. "Sam I want you to know, whatever is wrong. You need to understand that I believed that I wasn’t going home, that I was here for the rest of my life. I would never see you or anybody else I knew again. So I started a new life here, and Laira became a part of that. The child was a surprise, I didn’t mean to. It just happened" he said, "anyway, they’re throwing a party for us and we’re missing it. Please Sam, be happy for me" he smiled, she smiled back, how could she not. "Yes sir" she said. He stood and held out his hand for Sam "join me Major?" he asked, "yes sir" she said taking his hand he pulled her up. "One thing" he said, they stopped. He raised his hand and wiped a tear mark off her cheek. She closed her eyes, "we can’t have everyone see that can we," he said, softly. She half smiled at him, they continued to the party.

She didn’t leave that morning, but she didn’t go anywhere near Laira’s house, she tried to limit the amount of time she spent with Jack as well. They were scheduled to go back to Earth, about 15:00 hours that afternoon. Sam tried to look happy, when she saw any of the others. She kept herself busy; doing anything to kept her mind off Jack. She did manage to spend a bit of time with him last night. But that wasn’t much. Laira had dragged him away from her, just as they got back on the house. They all meet around the Gate about 15:00, but Jack was nowhere to be seen. "I think he’s saying goodbye to Laira" Daniel said to Sam, who was looking at her watch for the umpteenth time. "SG-6 go we’ll catch up with you" Sam said, the major nodded as they walked through the Gate. Sam watched them go "Colonel" she said into her Comm "Sir we’re ready to leave, SG-6 have already gone through" she said. "I’ll be with you in a few minutes" Jack said on the other end of the Comm. "I’m going" Sam said, just then she spotted a group of people coming up the hill towards the Gate, with Jack at the front. "Now I’m defiantly going" she said, "see you in a bit". She stepped up the steps into the Gate. "Where’s Carter?" Jack asked when he just saw Danny and Teal’c at the Gate. "She’s already gone through," Daniel said. They said their final goodbyes, with promises to come back more often. They stepped through the Gate, ‘this is going to be an interesting debriefing’ Jack thought as he stepped through the event horizon on the other side.

The base was quite except for the music coming from Carter’s lab. "Cool" Jack thought, as he walked towards where the music was coming form, he was now out of his fatigues, he was dressed in his usually civilian clothes. She was listening to the Billie Myers CD; he had brought her for her birthday. "Loud enough " he said, as he walked through the door. "Huh" she said, placing the folder in her hand on the table in front of her, "proves my point," he said jokingly. She didn’t smile, "is there something you want Colonel?" she asked, reaching over to the stereo and turning the music down. "Erm, there’s a bunch of us going down to O’Malley’s, do you want to come?" he asked moving in the room a bit more. "No thanks Sir, I’ve got a bit of work to do, thanks anyway," she said, not looking up form her computer screen. "Suit yourself" he said, walking backwards out the door. Casting a last look at her, before turning and walking down the corridor.

‘Knock, Knock’ "Come in" Janet said, she looked up at the door, there stood Jack with a confused look on his face. "Oh Colonel, how can I help?" she asked, gesturing to the chair in front of her desk. "I need to ask you about something, well someone" he said, ‘finally’ she thought, she knew he was here to ask her about Sam. Jack sat on the chair. "Sam tells you things doesn’t she, you know during your girlie talks," he said a bit hesitantly. "Yeah she does" Janet said, taking a sip of her coffee "what happened while I was on Andora?" he asked, in a voice almost above a whisper. Janet placed her coffee mug on her desk. "Jack, Sam realised how much she cares for you and how much you are part of her life" Janet said, Jack looked at her almost disbelieving. "I can’t believe she hadn’t told you how hard she worked to get you back, how devastated she was when realised that the Gate was buried. How many all-nighters she had, working on getting the generator to work. She was totally focused on get you back and when it worked how happy she was". "She didn’t, why would she do that for" Jack said, "aren’t you listening" Janet said, standing and walked around her desk and sat on it in front of Jack. "Jack, Sam cares for you more than she’d care to admit. I can only guess what she went through, to get it to work, she only told me she missed you" Janet said. "I missed her too" Jack said, "Really, you didn’t act like you did" Janet said. "Jack you are an idiot more than usual, I don’t know what really happened on Andora with you and Laira. I don’t really care all I know that my best friend, out her own life on pause to get you back" Janet said, "Janet I do know that. But my life changed, I was stuck millions of miles away on a strange planet with no contact with any of you, for three months. I did try to get back, I really did, but I just gave up. I realised it was hopeless; I did want to go home. But I knew I was almost certain that I was going to spend rest of my life there, so I had to try and make the best of what I had. Laira was just there and I needed someone to be with, and she wanted that too. But I never once forgot about Sam or any of you. Sam was the only reason why it took so long for me to let go; I knew she would work to get me home, but as time passed…. I don’t know what happened. I never once forgot" Jack said, cupping his head in his hand. Janet reached down and touched his shoulder, he looked up. "Just go and see her. For me try and explain what happened, and remind her what you had. You having a kid shouldn’t change that" Janet said, Jack smiled "I will," he said, standing. "Thanks" he said, giving Janet a hug. "Jack just remember, if you do hurt her again. I will hurt and I do know how to hurt people," Janet said, as Jack walked out the door. "I won’t forget," he said, opening the door and setting off down the corridor to find Sam.

"Carter" Jack said, jogging into her lab, it was empty. "Damn" he said, ‘where is she?’ he thought, backing out the room.

Sam turned the light on in her room, removing her baggy jumper and throwing it on the bed. As she placed the book on her table, she glanced a look into the mirror, "you blew it, he invited you to go for a drink and what did you do? You said no" Sam said, to her reflection in the mirror. "Yeah but it is his fault, while I was working my butt off to get him back he was shacking up with…" ‘Knock, Knock’ came from her door, followed by "Carter are you in there?" it was Jack. "No I’m not," she shouted back at the door. The door opened to reveal a slightly out of breath Jack. "I’ve come to give you a second chance, are you sure you don’t want to come out, the offers still open?" he said moving further into the room. "I’m sure," she said turning her back to him. He closed the door behind him and turned to face her. "Well do you want to talk?" he asked looking around her room, "no thanks Sir, I just want to relax and get some reading and work done" she said. "Well you can listen to what I have to say then" Jack said, stepping closer to her. "Sam relax, what is up with you?" he asked. "There’s nothing wrong with me" she said, crossing her arms in front of her. "That’s what I mean you say there’s nothing wrong, but there is. Since you found out what happened with Laira and me on Andora. You’ve been distant and down right unfriendly. Which is not like you at all," he said. "Have you thought about why I’m acting the way I am?" she said, turning to face him. "Yeah your acting jealous" she waved her hands at him like she was waving off his accusation. "Are you?" he asked. She rubbed her brow with her fingers "no, I’m not" she shouted at him. "Well your sure acting like you are?" he said, "well there’s no reason why I should be. While I was working my butt off trying to get you home, you were shacking up with a woman, partying all night forgetting what you had here. And what you were missing and what I was missing" she stopped, she looked up into his eyes, for the first time since he had walked into her room. "So you did miss me then?" he said, his tone soft. Sam shook her head, and walked past him and sat on the edge of her bed. He looked at her, he could see that she was hurting and he knew it was his fault. "Sam" he said, he walked over to the bed to stand in front of her. She didn’t look up, her gaze on the floor by her feet. He sighed and knelt on the floor. His eyes almost level with hers. "Sam I am sorry, didn’t realise how hard you worked too get me back. I wondered why everyone was giving me funny looks when I got back. I was scared and alone, for the first time. Laira was just there and that she felt it was her fault that I was left behind. And she comforted me" he licked his lips, drawing in a deep breath "but that’s behind me now". "What about you daughter?" Sam said, looking up at him. He closed his eyes "Zara is just another thing, Sam I want to be honest. Laira asked me give her a child, the night before Teal’c came through the Gate. I told her that I would never forget what I left behind, I was telling the truth when I said that. I do love both of them, but I never forgot what I had here and who. I can never change that, but there is something that can never change how I feel… for you" Sam looked up into his wide brown eyes and smiled "it didn’t seem right without you there, I missed you more than I could ever say. Laira wasn’t a replacement, I thought she could be but she wasn’t no one can be" Jack smiled. He moved his head closer to Sam’s, her smile faded and she closed her eyes. Her breathing became more rapid and deeper, as she felt his lips descend to hers. The kiss was tentative and gentle, more taste and sense. Sam raised her hands to his chest holding onto his shirt. His hands moved to her face, he cupped it with his fingers. They parted slowly, just to look at each other. "Sam" he said, she knew there was a but coming. "We can’t do this, we both know the regs". She smile softly, she raised her hands up to his shoulders and leant forward again, pressing her lips against his again. Kissing him softly again, he kissed her back just as softly. His arms going around her waist pulling her closer to him. They kissed for longer, savouring the touch of each other. Sam felt him shift against her, he moved his head back and removed his arms from around her waist. Her arms dropped from his shoulders, he smiled. "So you’re talking to me again then" he said, grinning widely. She looked at him disbelievingly, before lifting her hand to tap him on his shoulder. "Hey" he said, "I’d better get going," he said, standing up and stepping backwards a pace. "Is the offer still open?" Sam asked, standing up so that they were standing close to each other. "Always" he said, bending his head down to kiss her again. She kissed him back, they parted and smiling at each other. "You’re buying" Jack said, walking towards the door. "Yes Sir" Sam said, following him out the door, grabbing her Leather Jacket on the way. Out closing the door behind her.



THE END

I know it may be the best; your feedback is appreciated, good or bad. Well more good than bad :o)